Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

41 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

is it crazy to say that Max is the best FA signing in DC history?  and can i say if Max helps us win a title, he will go down as DC best athlete ever?

This might be my next article for The Nats Blog. Taking the best FA signings from each of our 4 teams.

He’s one of the great FA signings in sports history, not just DC.  The odds against a pitcher of that age and that salary being worth it are astronomical.  If he quits tomorrow, he’s already worth it.  He’s a marvel.

5 hours ago, thebluefood said:

Only FA signing in that same zone as Max is Sonny Jurgensen. Still wonder how the Eagles could have let him go.

I was thinking Gary Clark who was acquired after the USFL folded if memory serves. Critically great receiver who helped us win two Superbowls.

6 hours ago, thebluefood said:

Only FA signing in that same zone as Max is Sonny Jurgensen. Still wonder how the Eagles could have let him go.

Sonny was a trade for Norm Snead and a DB with a name I can't remember. It did happen about a decade before I was born. Longer really. So, my memory is fuzzy. ? 

Max has been huge. He's been awesome for us. 

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I was thinking Gary Clark who was acquired after the USFL folded if memory serves. Critically great receiver who helped us win two Superbowls.

Team accomplishment. Scherzer is the best at his position and a potential HOF'r.

1 hour ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Team accomplishment. Scherzer is the best at his position and a potential HOF'r.

Team accomplishments matter more (to me.) I'd rather have three Superbowl wins because of a player who was great for us than a Barry Sanders who was one of the best of all time who never climbed the mountain.

12 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

is it crazy to say that Max is the best FA signing in DC history?  and can i say if Max helps us win a title, he will go down as DC best athlete ever?

No, it's not crazy.

And no again, because Sammy Baugh played in DC, and is arguably the greatest player ever in his sport. Sherzer hasn't hit that level.

But Baugh wasn't a FA signing - Marshall and Flaherty drafted him. If we're talking overall athletes who've played in D.C., I would absolutely put Baugh at or near the top of the list (same with Walter Johnson and Wes Unseld)

But since we're talking about FA signings, we ought to consider Elvin Hayes as well. Got him from the Rockets right before moving to the Capital Centre - versatile player, prolific scorer (still 10th all time in points), crucial piece of the Bullets during their glory days. There's no way they win the championship in '78 without him. 

2 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

But Baugh wasn't a FA signing - Marshall and Flaherty drafted him. If we're talking overall athletes who've played in D.C., I would absolutely put Baugh at or near the top of the list (same with Walter Johnson and Wes Unseld)

The second question was best dc athlete ever, not best free agent signing. That was the first question.

29 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

But since we're talking about FA signings, we ought to consider Elvin Hayes as well. Got him from the Rockets right before moving to the Capital Centre - versatile player, prolific scorer (still 10th all time in points), crucial piece of the Bullets during their glory days. There's no way they win the championship in '78 without him. 

I was coming here to put the Big E up there for FA signings.  Probably the best DC FA signing from the Bullets/Wiz.

Fair enough. If that's the case, I feel like Sammy Baugh and Walter Johnson sort of get their own place at the top simply because they were so dominant and so far ahead of their peers. Despite being a one-pitch player for much of his career, I don't know if the American League has seen the likes of his caliber since Big Train retired (maybe Roger Clemens - maybe). 

Yeah I think he's the best FA signing in DC sports history at this point. He's won two Cy Youngs and might win a third this year. No other team has signed a FA who's gone on to that kind of success in their sport.

But best DC athlete ever? Not quite, not yet anyway. Now if he has a Madison Bumgarner in 2014 like postseason run, maybe.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I think he's the best FA signing in DC sports history at this point. He's won two Cy Youngs and might win a third this year. No other team has signed a FA who's gone on to that kind of success in their sport.

But best DC athlete ever? Not quite, not yet anyway. Now if he has a Madison Bumgarner in 2014 like postseason run, maybe.

That's what'll put him over the top. He's had some solid appearances in the post season for the Nats over the past couple seasons but nothing legendary. Of course, Walter Johnson famous laid an egg in the '24 World Series until he pitched those 4 brilliant relief innings in Game 7 so hey - even some of the greats have a hard time in the postseason. 

Max Sherzer is well on his way to a Hall of Fame induction. 

Are Nats fans watching a team with two future Hall of Famers?  This is more of an offseason sports talk question, but here goes... Does Bryce Harper end up in Cooperstown?  Easy answer is not yet, but the future is still extremely bright for him.  How many more seasons like 2015 (.330 BA, 42 HRs .460 OBP) can he produce? 

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

Team accomplishments matter more (to me.) I'd rather have three Superbowl wins because of a player who was great for us than a Barry Sanders who was one of the best of all time who never climbed the mountain.

But the question is about individual talent / ability so the fact that Clark played for a team that could actually win the postseason isn't really his doing.

2 hours ago, techboy said:

The second question was best dc athlete ever, not best free agent signing. That was the first question.

The greatest athlete in D.C. history is playing in Game 6 in Pittsburgh tonight. All due respect to guys like Baugh and Johnson but era has to matter and their talent pools were nothing compared to now. Same reason why Bill Russell will always be overrated (from a strictly talent standpoint, what he did in spite of playing in that despicably racist city was amazing).

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

Max Sherzer is well on his way to a Hall of Fame induction. 

Are Nats fans watching a team with two future Hall of Famers?  This is more of an offseason sports talk question, but here goes... Does Bryce Harper end up in Cooperstown?  Easy answer is not yet, but the future is still extremely bright for him.  How many more seasons like 2015 (.330 BA, 42 HRs .460 OBP) can he produce? 

Harper still has a long ways to go. He had that one MVP season but beyond that? He hasn't had any other 30 HR year and only one other year(last year)where he hit over .300. He's also been injury prone.

The Nats are scheduled to face the Padres' Tyson Ross tonight, which leads me to the question - Has anybody heard an update on the the status of his brother, Joe Ross?  He underwent Tommy John surgery in July, and was shooting for a return in August.  I haven't heard anything - good or bad - on the status of his recovery and rehab...

4 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

The greatest athlete in D.C. history is playing in Game 6 in Pittsburgh tonight. All due respect to guys like Baugh and Johnson but era has to matter and their talent pools were nothing compared to now. Same reason why Bill Russell will always be overrated (from a strictly talent standpoint, what he did in spite of playing in that despicably racist city was amazing).

It is so hard to judge who the "GOAT" is in most sports because everything from rules to training to the average, physical size of athletes is constantly changing. Johnson probably wouldn't make it to the minor leagues today since he was a one-pitch wonder for so much of his career and I believe his fastball was clocked at about 91 MPH. Scherzer's  fastball clocks in at the middle to upper 90s  and he mixes it up with a cutter and a wicked slider.

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

The Nats are scheduled to face the Padres' Tyson Ross tonight, which leads me to the question - Has anybody heard an update on the the status of his brother, Joe Ross?  He underwent Tommy John surgery in July, and was shooting for a return in August.  I haven't heard anything - good or bad - on the status of his recovery and rehab...

Been wondering about this, too.

Archived