Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

18 hours ago, thebluefood said:

Only FA signing in that same zone as Max is Sonny Jurgensen. Still wonder how the Eagles could have let him go.

Yeah, as SkinsGoldpants mentioned, Sonny was acquired in a trade with the Eagles, for Norm Van Brocklin.  But for all-time Redskins free agent signings, how about John Riggins?  He pretty much carried the team to a Super Bowl once they started feeding him the ball.

1 hour ago, thebluefood said:

It is so hard to judge who the "GOAT" is in most sports because everything from rules to training to the average, physical size of athletes is constantly changing. Johnson probably wouldn't make it to the minor leagues today since he was a one-pitch wonder for so much of his career and I believe his fastball was clocked at about 91 MPH. Scherzer's  fastball clocks in at the middle to upper 90s  and he mixes it up with a cutter and a wicked slider.

To me, it's a fool's errand trying to compare across generations.  You pretty much have to judge players by the era they played in.  And Walter Johnson's fastball was, by accounts of the day, like nothing anyone had ever seen.

On the concourse at Nats Park,I came upon a display about Walter Johnson. The quote from Hall of Famer Ty Cobb about Johnson gave me goosebumps:

"On August 2, 1907, I encountered the most threatening sight I ever saw in the ball field. He was a rookie, and we licked our lips as we warmed up for the first game of a doubleheader in Washington...He was a tall, shambling galoot of about twenty, with arms so long they hung far out of his sleeves, and with a sidearm delivery that looked unimpressive at first glance. One of the Tigers imitated a cow mooing, and we hollered at Cantillon: ‘Get the pitchfork ready, Joe—your hayseed’s on his way back to the barn.’

“The first time I faced him, I watched him take that easy windup. And then something went past me that made me flinch. The thing just hissed with danger.

We couldn’t touch him … every one of us knew we’d met the most powerful arm ever turned loose in a ball park.”

And I don't think crotchety, racist, bull-nosed Ty Cobb, arguably the greatest contact hitter of all time -  was one for hyperbole.

Noting that Zimm was given the spring off, and he's also hurt right now. Thinking that's going to happen regardless, so maybe do training next year and hopefully be in game shape when the season starts.

Oh, and Kelley is back. So, hold on to your hats.

7 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

But the question is about individual talent / ability so the fact that Clark played for a team that could actually win the postseason isn't really his doing.

I think that's an unfair characterization of Gary Clark. He was a pretty integral part of winning those championships. He was hardly just along for the ride. I don't think they win those Superbowls without him.

Right now, Max is a lower tier for me in the same way that Barry Sanders is. He is unquestionably great, but without the ring his shine is diminished. More so, I suppose because they put him in as a closer and when he was needed the most in the playoffs... he failed in an absolute manner. That may be an unfair characterization on my part because he was given "insufficient" rest, but the year before we saw someone else on short rest do what Max couldn't.

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

No Birds tonight and I'd actually like to watch a decent team so I'm gonna watch as much Nats tonight.

Honest question for you guys...how the **** do you stand Bob Carpenter and FP Santangelo?

I love FP.  Bob is our guy now.  I dont hate him

10 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

No Birds tonight and I'd actually like to watch a decent team so I'm gonna watch as much Nats tonight.

Honest question for you guys...how the **** do you stand Bob Carpenter and FP Santangelo?

I like them both. Bob is corny but doesn't try to get in the way. He'd grown on me. FP jokes around but then when he breaks down a motion or a play in slow motion. He shows he's a student of the game. For me, that's a huge upgrade over the former player who just talks and can't even acknowledge when his team gets a bad call in their favor. There are some older ones out there who will pretend it never even happened. It's pathetic. Either they missed it, or they can't even admit it.

FP interacts with people watching via twitter and sometimes a live video on instagram during breaks in the game. Or on the road he'll pop down into the stands before the game to talk to Nats fans. I think that's cool. Hope he's their color guy for a long time. 

1 hour ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I like them both. Bob is corny but doesn't try to get in the way. He'd grown on me. FP jokes around but then when he breaks down a motion or a play in slow motion. He shows he's a student of the game. For me, that's a huge upgrade over the former player who just talks and can't even acknowledge when his team gets a bad call in their favor. There are some older ones out there who will pretend it never even happened. It's pathetic. Either they missed it, or they can't even admit it.

FP interacts with people watching via twitter and sometimes a live video on instagram during breaks in the game. Or on the road he'll pop down into the stands before the game to talk to Nats fans. I think that's cool. Hope he's their color guy for a long time. 

Couldn't agree more. I hope Bob and FP - and Dan Kolko too - stay on the broadcast for a long time.

Archived