Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

1 minute ago, ixcuincle said:

Can they afford Rendon and Harper

That’s a good question. The short answer is yes, but the better question is “can they afford Rendon and Harper and still field a competitive team with a good rotation and bullpen?” That’s a bit murkier... and depends a lot on how our young pitchers develop. 

Update on MASN Bull****:

The long-running media rights dispute surrounding the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, now well into its seventh year, will return this fall to Major League Baseball’s internal arbitration panel — but with a catch.

The MASN battle between the Baltimore Orioles and Washington Nationals will be heard a second time, likely in November, by MLB’s Revenue Sharing Definitions Committee after the appellate division of the New York Supreme Court last year voted unanimously to vacate a 2014 decision by that panel granting higher rights fees to the Nationals. That ruling marked a historic overturning of an internal league arbitration by an outside court.

But as the case is set to return to the RSDC, the Orioles-controlled MASN will retain the right to appeal directly to the New York Court of Appeals, the state’s highest court, should there be an issue with the new proceedings. That will allow the Orioles to have an expedited appeal path with the court and to avoid again going through lower courts first. The case has been litigated in New York given that MLB’s headquarters are there and because that is where the RSDC arbitration happened. 

The state Supreme Court found the first RSDC hearing was unfairly biased toward the Nationals, in part due to overlapping legal representation between MLB, the Nationals and individual RSDC members. The three-person RSDC has since been reconstituted with new members: Milwaukee Brewers owner Mark Attanasio, Seattle Mariners CEO Kevin Mather, and Toronto Blue Jays CEO Mark Shapiro.

MASN executives previously said privately there was “no way” they would appear again before the RSDC. But that same state Supreme Court ruling last year ordered the case back before the league’s body, as opposed to an independent arbitrator. And in order for MASN to bring an appeal back before the state Court of Appeals, there needs to be something to actually appeal given the first RSDC decision no longer exists, which also necessitates the rehearing.

MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred last month again stressed his aim to have the parties adhere to the original 2005 agreement between the league and Orioles owner Peter Angelos that created MASN. That deal called for rights fees disputes between the Nationals and Orioles to go before the RSDC.

“I’m a big guy on agreements. If you live up to your agreements, you go a long way in life,” Manfred said.

The Nationals have said more than $200 million in total is in dispute between the 2012-16 rights fee period still being litigated and another period yet to be decided for 2017-21.

In the meantime, MASN has added high-powered attorney Jonathan Schiller, managing partner of Boies Schiller Flexner, to its legal team. Schiller’s sports representations in recent years have included DraftKings, the New York Yankees and the NFL.

52 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't know, the putting on the uniform 3 hours before the game makes it seem like he knows he's gone.

I think its all on the ownership. Harper wants to stay but he's not gonna take less money, nor should he. Get what you can son.

I think Harper wants to stay but, like Desmond, feels responsibility to other players to get as much as he can.  I think the Nats want to keep him, but have payroll constraints, good other options in RF, any many other needs.  

10 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think Harper wants to stay but, like Desmond, feels responsibility to other players to get as much as he can.  I think the Nats want to keep him, but have payroll constraints, good other options in RF, any many other needs.  

Yeah I’ve stopped criticizing sports players for taking anything less than the most they are offered. Easy for us to sit here at a keyboard, never going to make $10m, saying “man what’s so wrong with taking $35m/yr instead of $36m/yr.” Well if you are signing a 10 year deal, it’s $10m.

And if you are a once in a generation athlete, you might not really need that extra $10m. But you aren’t thinking about taking care of yourself, you’re thinking of taking care of your parents and your brothers and sisters and nieces and nephews and your kids and your grandkids. And when you start looking at how many people whose lives and futures you are trying to secure, yeah you squeeze every damn penny out of your brief career before you can’t play anymore. 

So yeah when I’m thinking of Bryce, he should go get paid. Sign for whoever offers him the most money. I’d love if it was the Nats but I seriously doubt it will be. 

23 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Can they afford Rendon and Harper

Per Boz's column today:

First, if the Nats did land Harper for $35 million a year — let them worry about the number of years — that contract weight might not be as great in 2019, 2020 and 2021 as many fans assume. Harper already made $21.6 million this year. Eaton presumably would be traded for a starting pitcher if Harper returns. Eaton makes $8.4 million next year with team options for $9.5 million in 2020 and $10.5 million in 2021.

Add it up: Signing Harper but subtracting Eaton’s salary might only add about $5 million to the Nats’ payroll each of the next three seasons. Of course, you must pay that new starting pitcher you got in a trade. But financially, it could be done. The issue is all those Harper years — eight sounds short! — with all that injury risk.

30 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Thanks again to @PF Chang for the tickets. It was great to be able to be there--and extremely generous of you!

You're welcome - I hope it wasn't Harper's last home game here but we'll see. Heard on the radio this morning that the negotiations with him in December 2016 started at $540 million? They didn't specify how many years but regardless it's hard to see the Nats going for that. 

1 minute ago, PF Chang said:

You're welcome - I hope it wasn't Harper's last home game here but we'll see. Heard on the radio this morning that the negotiations with him in December 2016 started at $540 million? They didn't specify how many years but regardless it's hard to see the Nats going for that. 

We had a blast. I took my daughter down to the dugout when the players came out to wave good bye to everyone. Very, very cool experience

Heard on the radio this morning that the negotiations with him in December 2016 started at $540 million

That came from Bob Nightengale, who is one of the worst poo-flingers. He throws out so, so much non-sense, he is to be ignored entirely.

Archived