Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Sorry! Is there even a Lincoln Tech? I just spitballed the most ridiculous "small school" name I could come up with. :rofl89:

There actually is a Lincoln tech. 

Its like one of those welding schools. 

Not sure about their football program though. 

Lol. 

28 minutes ago, carex said:

they could bring back Keith Marshall for a few practices

11 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

I'm all about that....

He got waived with a injury settlement. Nasty injury. :unsure:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/keith-marshall-waived-with-injury-settlement/

"Marshall showed promise in practices at times during his two seasons in the organization, but the running back has yet to make his NFL debut after landing on injured reserve in both 2016 and 2017. There's no timeline for when he's expected to be fully recovered from the torn patellar tendon he suffered last July."

6 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

He got waived with a injury settlement. Nasty injury. :unsure:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/keith-marshall-waived-with-injury-settlement/

"Marshall showed promise in practices at times during his two seasons in the organization, but the running back has yet to make his NFL debut after landing on injured reserve in both 2016 and 2017. There's no timeline for when he's expected to be fully recovered from the torn patellar tendon he suffered last July."

ah, I hadn't realized he still wasn't recovered from that injury

On 8/9/2018 at 1:28 PM, KillBill26 said:

Are you assuming smith is going to walk once he hits FA?  i am hoping the skins pay up to retain him, even if it's at 12 to 13 aav, but even if you are assuming Preston walks and it's essentially just for a 2nd (and the contract that we will give Thomas), I'm not sure I make the trade for a safety on the downside of his career.  Reminds me of Jason Taylor trade, although Taylor was older.

However, trading Preston and 2019 1st rounder for Khalil Mack, I'd jump at that, but I doubt the raiders would settle for that.  Maybe gruden is getting frustrated with the holdout and wants to set the tone for his next term?  Maybe throwing in Reed or Norman, who might not be skins at this time next year anyway, might do it?  Or another pick that's not a first rounder?  I know it's all speculation, but it's an interesting discussion.

Oakland would love Crowder, swap future free agents and a first. Crowder, Preston, #1 for Mack & Switzer who would battle for the slot.

That front would be terrifying. The explosion of a guy like Mack is the one thing we lack. 

Is there any situation WEIRDER than 26-year old Jon Hankins STILL not being signed by an NFL team at this point?  His agent must be as bad as advertised. The dude apparently works extremely hard, causes no troubles in the locker room, and (according to all of the Colts message-board-posts I've been stalking) was one of the few "spark-plugs" during a highly disappointing season for them. 

Our offense seemingly projects as "slightly-above-average" overall-- even without Guice.  Teams will have trouble game-planning against us for the first 6 weeks of the season, because WE don't even know whose gonna get the ball.  (aka The "Zorny Toad Effect".)

Healthy, it looks like we have a Top 5 DL rotation already.  Use the cap to pursue Hankins on a 1 year 6mill deal (what we paid for Pryor) and now our depth/rotation is arguably better than Eagles/Rams/Texans/Vikings.

The SOP for this FO seems to be if you get into your contract year unsigned then you most likely won't be back, I think Zach Brown is the only starter that went to FA and then stayed, if the team wants you they get it done early so I expect to see more of the same going forward.

Crowder/Smith/J Norman - 2 of 3 or all 3 will be gone next year, of course, Smith or Crowder could get franchised if they have a huge season, we know the team would rather franchise than commit long term to a player they are unsure about. 

Point is, use em or lose em.

4 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

The SOP for this FO seems to be if you get into your contract year unsigned then you most likely won't be back, I think Zach Brown is the only starter that went to FA and then stayed, if the team wants you they get it done early so I expect to see more of the same going forward.

Crowder/Smith/J Norman - 2 of 3 or all 3 will be gone next year, of course, Smith or Crowder could get franchised if they have a huge season, we know the team would rather franchise than commit long term to a player they are unsure about. 

Point is, use em or lose em.

I expect Norman to have a good year (barring injury) with this front 7, a (hopefully) legit FS, and considering the other corners.  Factoring in the 6 mil in dead cap if we cut him next year, I’m thinking they keep through 2019.  To be fair, this wasn’t my assumption until I looked up his contract again.  

I expect Norman back as well. Smith and Crowder will be free agents. Norman is under contract through 2019. Norman and DJ are the only cap investments for the secondary. Everyone else was an udfa or mid to late round pick. Forecasting that half develop into quality assets. This position group has value and upside. Talent on the field and cap hits included. We can afford Norman and I'm hopeful with the emergence of the front 7 he can jump a few routes.

Feeling optimistic this morning...4 picks from the cerebral assassin this regular season.

Just now, SkinsFootball said:

I expect Norman back as well. Smith and Crowder will be free agents. Norman is under contract through 2019. Norman and DJ are the only cap investments for the secondary. Everyone else was an udfa or mid to late round pick. Forecasting that half develop into quality assets. This position group has value and upside. Talent on the field and cap hits included. We can afford Norman and I'm hopeful with the emergence of the front 7 he can jump a few routes.

Feeling optimistic this morning...4 picks from the cerebral assassin this regular season.

Norman is under contract through 2020, but the question comes up about the potential savings.  He's due a cap hit of $30mil for 19' and 20', but there's only a dead cap number of $6 mil for 2019, and $3 mil for 2020... .which is why people are looking at whether or not he'll be here.  We have the control, but with multiple other pieces becoming free agents in 2020 and the need to possibly save some cap space... he offers up quite a bit of savings if we needed it.  That also brings up the notion that he COULD re-negotiate and extend.  

12 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

Im riding with the idea that Crowder or Smith will be gone and we extend Scherff. Who else is a Redskin FA? Are you targeting a big name acquistion from free agency?

We picked up Scherff's option for $12.5 mil next year so he's not due as a FA til after next season.  We COULD extend him, but I'm not sure Scherff or his agent are willing to do an extension unless that $12.5 mil pay for next season stays intact... so we may not see an extension until next season starts.  Depending on what we do with Norman... Crowder and Smith may both stay, but if I had to pick what I think we'll do... we let Crowder walk and sign Smith.  My personal choice is yet to be determined.. Crowder made me start to doubt his reliability last year with drops, fumbles, and some weird stuff that he wasn't known for.  I need to see this year that last year was the outlier... not the year before.  

52 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I expect Norman to have a good year (barring injury) with this front 7, a (hopefully) legit FS, and considering the other corners.  Factoring in the 6 mil in dead cap if we cut him next year, I’m thinking they keep through 2019.  To be fair, this wasn’t my assumption until I looked up his contract again.  

His cap hit is $14.5M next year, you could definitely be right but he better have one hell of a year.

I like Josh and I think he's a good player, he hasn't been worth $15M a year but he's been good for our team.

35 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

His cap hit is $14.5M next year, you could definitely be right but he better have one hell of a year.

I like Josh and I think he's a good player, he hasn't been worth $15M a year but he's been good for our team.

Yeah, it’s a heck of a cap hit and I could envision a June 1 cut next offseason.  Trade is probably out because of age/salary/eating his bonus money, but that’s not a foregone conclusion.  A lot of it could come down to how well the others perform - Dunbar, Moreau and Johnson/Stroman.  

@OVCChairmanI think extensions are pretty standard in terms of keeping the last year intact - i.e. the extension kicks in after they were set to become FAs.  

Not or looking too much into our cap situation, I think re-signing Smith is the better bet unless Anderson or someone like Robertson really picks it up this year.  

I’d hate to be in a position where we need to find a starting OLB, corner, LG and slot corner next year (as well as others).  Going to be a tough balancing act, but of course that’s the nature of dealing with a good roster.  

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, it’s a heck of a cap hit and I could envision a June 1 cut next offseason.  Trade is probably out because of age/salary/eating his bonus money, but that’s not a foregone conclusion.  A lot of it could come down to how well the others perform - Dunbar, Moreau and Johnson/Stroman.  

@OVCChairmanI think extensions are pretty standard in terms of keeping the last year intact - i.e. the extension kicks in after they were set to become FAs.  

Not or looking too much into our cap situation, I think re-signing Smith is the better bet unless Anderson or someone like Robertson really picks it up this year.  

I’d hate to be in a position where we need to find a starting OLB, corner, LG and slot corner next year (as well as others).  Going to be a tough balancing act, but of course that’s the nature of dealing with a good roster.  

absolutely.. but that means it would likely not get done til AFTER next calendar year starts.  Meaning it would be after the next league year starts and closer to the start of the new football season.... less pressure than we would have with Crowder or Smith if we were going to be signing them.. If Smith touches free agency, he's likely gone... so I'd imagine if we're gonna be serious about signing him, it will be during this season.

2 hours ago, SkinsFootball said:

Im riding with the idea that Crowder or Smith will be gone and we extend Scherff. Who else is a Redskin FA? Are you targeting a big name acquistion from free agency?

I think the fate of Crowder depends in part on the play of Quinn

12 hours ago, volsmet said:

Oakland would love Crowder, swap future free agents and a first. Crowder, Preston, #1 for Mack & Switzer who would battle for the slot.

That front would be terrifying. The explosion of a guy like Mack is the one thing we lack. 

I don't think we need to spend something on Mack, to have a terrifying line, the way Settle is also developing.

If we can find a way to get Allen, Payne, and Settle, all on the field, at the same time, then forget the Dline completely - move onto another position group, because that group is SET.

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't think we need to spend something on Mack, to have a terrifying line, the way Settle is also developing.

If we can find a way to get Allen, Payne, and Settle, all on the field, at the same time, then forget the Dline completely - move onto another position group, because that group is SET.

While I think Mack could be a transcendent talent... i might actually agree with you in the sense that Smith could develop to a similar production with the pieces we have... and at a lower cost.  I don't think Smith has the talent, but he may be a better piece based on the salaries, and with the D-line we have... 

13 hours ago, volsmet said:

Agreed.  And that's a decent haul in return for the raiders as well.  But man that front 7 would be so much fun to watch.

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Settle looks good, but Matt Ioannidis, when healthy is even more dominant. I can't wait to see him lined up next to Allen and Payne.

Johnny Obeid ??
Da’Ron Payne, Jonathan Allen, Matt Ioannidis, Ryan Kerrigan, Preston Smith, and Tim Settle?

Embedded

Man it would be awesome to add Khalil Mack to the front 7 :)

Archived