Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I like Brown and want to keep him, but I do feel we overrate him as an overall player because of how bad that position has been since London left.  I don't see how what he did here really changes his situation any from a free agency perspective.  He was a sure tackler that can make up ground and stop the run before he got here.  Yet we ended up with him for under 3M late in free agency.  I can't see his deal exceeding 6M per season.  I think he's the first guy the team resigns.    

The man led the league in tackles for the majority of the season, including a couple of weeks that he was out injured. Being the best ILB we've had since London Fletcher isn't a slight, it is a fact. We saw Mason Foster + Will Compton in 2016 and it was awful. We saw Mason Foster + Zach Brown and it was fantastic. With all the extra costs we'll have elsewhere and no better options in free agency to pursue, there's a reason why fans aren't thrilled with the idea of pinching pennies and risking another season of Will Compton level LBs.

Just now, NickyJ said:

The man led the league in tackles for the majority of the season, including a couple of weeks that he was out injured. Being the best ILB we've had since London Fletcher isn't a slight, it is a fact. We saw Mason Foster + Will Compton in 2016 and it was awful. We saw Mason Foster + Zach Brown and it was fantastic. With all the extra costs we'll have elsewhere and no better options in free agency to pursue, there's a reason why fans aren't thrilled with the idea of pinching pennies and risking another season of Will Compton level LBs.

It wasn't meant as a slight. My point was that he was pretty damn good before he got here and we got him cheap late in free agency.  I'm not sure why all the sudden a team would pay anywhere near 10M for a MLB that's not Luke Keichly.  

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I like Brown and want to keep him, but I do feel we overrate him as an overall player because of how bad that position has been since London left.  I don't see how what he did here really changes his situation any from a free agency perspective.  He was a sure tackler that can make up ground and stop the run before he got here.  Yet we ended up with him for under 3M late in free agency.  I can't see his deal exceeding 6M per season.  I think he's the first guy the team resigns.    

Oh really??? So no to a "fair" market deal. Shouldn't he expect to make a lil more million more than the last ilber made? 

ZB wanted 6m/year last offseason.  Couldn't get it.  Got about 100% raise from us when we signed him.  He's proven he's worth more but not at 10m/year.  Kuechly averages ~12m/year.  Here're what the top ILBs get (courtesy of OverTheCap.com).

Player Team Total 
Value
Avg./Year Total 
Guaranteed
Avg. 
Guar./Year
% Guar. Free 
Agency
Luke Kuechly Panthers $61,795,295 $12,359,059 $27,000,000 $5,400,000 43.7% 2022 UFA
Bobby Wagner Seahawks $43,000,000 $10,750,000 $8,977,427 $2,244,357 20.9% 2020 UFA
Alec Ogletree Rams $42,000,000 $10,500,000 $18,907,529 $4,726,882 45.0% 2022 UFA
Mark Barron Rams $45,000,000 $9,000,000 $15,000,000 $3,000,000 33.3% 2021 UFA
Brian Cushing Texans $52,500,000 $8,750,000 $21,000,000 $3,500,000 40.0% 2020 UFA
Brandon Marshall Broncos $32,000,000 $8,000,000 $15,053,000 $3,763,250 47.0% 2021 UFA
Danny Trevathan Bears $28,000,000 $7,000,000 $13,500,000 $3,375,000 48.2% 2020 UFA
Derrick Johnson Chiefs $10,250,000 $5,125,000 $2,000,000 $1,000,000 19.5% 2018 Void
Paul Posluszny Jaguars $15,000,000 $5,000,000 $4,450,000 $1,483,333 29.7% 2018 UFA
Kevin Minter Bengals $4,250,000 $4,250,000 $2,100,000 $2,100,000 49.4% 2018 UFA

It's arguable he's a top 10 ILB from looking at that list.  I'd pay him what he was looking for last year (6m/year), maybe a bit more.  Perhaps get him on a LTD along with a decent signing bonus if that's what'll float his boat.  Doing so could lower his 2018 cap hit - the savings of which we may need to spend elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, skinsOLfan said:

It makes me laugh how the Kirkers want the Redskins to gve Kirk whatever the "market" demands but expect every other player we should keep to take a "less than market" deal to stay, LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I'm saying Brown's market wont be what some of you project it to be.  Because he's an ILB and that market is nothing like QB for a variety of reasons that's I'm sure escape you.

Watching the Jags and their starting LG is a free agent would solve our LG problem and he shouldn't t be super expensive.

OMA675538.png

Patrick Omameh

Battered fan my "market value" comment wasn't directed at you but those that want to lowball everyone except Kirk Cousins.

1 hour ago, skinsOLfan said:

It makes me laugh how the Kirkers want the Redskins to gve Kirk whatever the "market" demands but expect every other player we should keep to take a "less than market" deal to stay, LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Take this (utter nonsense and total strawman, to be frank) to the right thread. I’m seeing the terrible habit of turning every thread into a QB discussion rearing its ugly head, lately. 

So not only did you do that, you’re fortunate this post isn’t penalized for baiting/trolling: 

12. No trolling. Beware of making baiting posts.
Do not post comments that are fundamentally inflammatory, or of little substantive content, or of some broadly insulting nature that serve primarily to incite your fellow members. ExtremeSkins has always prided itself on its zero tolerance policy for the common internet troublemaker. Trolls come in many forms and will be identified and censured at the discretion of the ES Staff. We are seeking a better level of conversation than just habitual drive-bys, being simplistically insulting, or gratuitously flaming various well-established points of view regardless of how strongly they may differ from yours.

Don’t try and dispute this here. If you have any questions PM me. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, skinsOLfan said:

Good point if we’re thinking realistically. We’ve been known to pay/keep the wrong people and let go the ones we should have kept. 

Edit: I should add, I’m okay with letting many of our guys go because we’ve been in need of a complete rebuild for decades. I think Brown was very good but if he can get more money elsewhere, he should take it

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

We don't need more 3rd receivers, we ened a #1 WR

We're gonna have to chance that unheralded guys can become blues for us. 

And at ilber, guys like Preston Brown, Avery Williamson, Christian Jones , Demario Davis, Anthony Hitchens, Bostic, Tank Carder, etc should probably be looked at for around 2-3 mill per yr.

2 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

I think he means QBs like Keenum, Alex Smith, or Brees.

Keenum, maybe.  Seriously doubt the Chiefs cut Smith (unless I missed some news), or the Saints let Brees hit FA.  

I like Smith from a talent standpoint, but I’ve done a 180 there - paying a guy 17mil for a year, plus giving up an early draft pick, plus possibly using our 1st  round pick on qb is just not worth it to me.  

Would be nice to have a good idea just how much cap space we’re going to have to work with.  

Archived