Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

10 minutes ago, RedskinsSerbia said:

I personaly feel like the lack of talk on a possible resigning of Brown-Foster duo is more concerning than the QB talk. They looked amazing early in the season before Mason Foster went down. What I’ve seen from them is by far the best ILB play since the switch to 3-4. Not saying any of them is a  London Fletcher material, but they complement each other soooo well. One of them hits the gap, the other one makes the tackle. Simple as that. I feel like they can both be locked up for under 15m APY for both. 

https://247sports.com/nfl/washington-redskins/Bolt/Redskins-Jay-Gruden-talks-free-agent-linebacker-Zach-Brown-contract-at-Senior-Bowl--114119414

Zach Brown was one of the NFL's premier inside linebackers this season, and it's no surprise that Jay Gruden would like to have him back next season. Unfortunately, that's easier said than done.

The Washington Redskins middle linebacker enters the offseason as an unrestricted free agent, and while the front office has spoken with Brown's representatives about a possible extension, no deal has been made.

They're talking , I also want to say i saw a post on here in the last couple days, that Brown wants to hit free agency.  He came here on a 1 year prove it deal, and he may feel like he proved it.  He very well may be looking for top ILB $$. 

45 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

We can forget getting any top of the range FA if we are going to pay Cousin's $34m for next year. 

HTTR 

How do you know? And since when does signing too tier FA actually work...they will be fine if they tagged him and signed him for 34 million 

20 hours ago, RWJ said:

Allen is known to low offer players contracts.  The only one he didn't was one who had multiple concussions in college and the NFF plays TE for us.  Go figure.

It's consistent with the organization. Low ball the players who have put in their time, but overpay for FAs. 

The reason I think an NFL team would do this is to sell more jerseys, which I wouldn't put it past them...

Brown wants 10mil plus per year, and he wants to test the market. Fair enough, let him crack on. We'll have to wait and see what transpires.

We can't commit to much yet without an apparent resolution to the Cousins situation. If he goes, we'll be overpaying Brown is my bet. 

For now we wait.

11 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

How do you know? And since when does signing too tier FA actually work...they will be fine if they tagged him and signed him for 34 million 

Because 2/3 of your $52m cap space are taken up by cousin's. Basic maths tell you that with $18m left after cousin's tag we are not getting any top notch FA's. Get ready for 3rd tier FA's like McClain again and a 7 win season. 

HTTR 

3 minutes ago, Unbias said:

It's consistent with the organization. Low ball the players who have put in their time, but overpay for FAs. 

The reason I think an NFL team would do this is to sell more jerseys, which I wouldn't put it past them...

What are some recent examples of this?

Teams get about 10-15 cents for every jersey sold, so that fact is a bit lazy and tired.

1 hour ago, DC9 said:

The bigger worry to me is that Jay says we need two of the three back in Foster, Compton, and Brown.

That tells you where this is going. 

It is absolutely essential to upgrade that position at this point.

I'm not big on re-signing Compton at all, but to sign him as a potential starter would be awful.  Wouldn't at all be surprised if this is similar to the coach speak about McCoy.  The problem is, for that angle to work as leverage, you need the chip to be a serious option... which Compton and McCoy are not.  

1 hour ago, RedskinsSerbia said:

I personaly feel like the lack of talk on a possible resigning of Brown-Foster duo is more concerning than the QB talk. They looked amazing early in the season before Mason Foster went down. What I’ve seen from them is by far the best ILB play since the switch to 3-4. Not saying any of them is a  London Fletcher material, but they complement each other soooo well. One of them hits the gap, the other one makes the tackle. Simple as that. I feel like they can both be locked up for under 15m APY for both. 

Starting to feel this way as well.  I assumed we'd be able to bring back Brown and I'd hoped for Foster as well.  At least losing the latter wasn't as big a deal as Vigil looked pretty good, Spaight provides competition, and we could look to the draft for help.  If both walk?  That's a potential disaster.  

1 hour ago, Unbias said:

we haven't signed any high priced FA in years

19 minutes ago, carex said:

we haven't signed any high priced FA in years

15 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

J Norman pic

I think what he's saying is the same thing I am... and that's "Not paying our own and going out and getting someone else" when there really wasn't a gulf in class.

Like signing Archuletta instead of re-upping with Ryan Clark for example...

I agree, that is something we haven't done in a while.

10 minutes ago, DC9 said:

I think what he's saying is the same thing I am... and that's "Not paying our own and going out and getting someone else" when there really wasn't a gulf in class.

Are you specifically talking our guys hitting FA a then signing them?  'Cause otherwise, wouldn't Dunbar and Thompson fit that bill?  It's actually one thing I feel like we've gotten better about... though I'm mostly talking extensions.  

14 minutes ago, DC9 said:

I guess you're giving him credit for not only what you read between the lines of his post, but also between the letters and maybe between the molecules.

21 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I guess you're giving him credit for not only what you read between the lines of his post, but also between the letters and maybe between the molecules.

I look at the glass as half full this time of year.  Why not?

24 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Are you specifically talking our guys hitting FA a then signing them?  'Cause otherwise, wouldn't Dunbar and Thompson fit that bill?  It's actually one thing I feel like we've gotten better about... though I'm mostly talking extensions.  

I think we've gotten better at it too.

You could argue Norman was an Amerson replacement but I don't really remember the timeline for Amerson.  I feel like he left a year earlier.  Plus, schematically and generally Norman is a much better player than Amerson.  So the "gulf in class" is there.

If we had dumped CT and signed Sproiles, cause Sproiles is a bigger name, you could argue it's to sell jerseys.

22 minutes ago, DC9 said:

I look at the glass as half full this time of year.  Why not?

I think we've gotten better at it too.

You could argue Norman was an Amerson replacement but I don't really remember the timeline for Amerson.  I feel like he left a year earlier.  Plus, schematically and generally Norman is a much better player than Amerson.  So the "gulf in class" is there.

If we had dumped CT and signed Sproiles, cause Sproiles is a bigger name, you could argue it's to sell jerseys.

Amerson was actually released in season as I recall

6 minutes ago, carex said:

Amerson was actually released in season as I recall

Yeah but I was saying more along the lines of bringing in Norman to replace him a year later.  I'd even accept that as an argument, but I'm just saying Norman is flat out better.

2 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Because 2/3 of your $52m cap space are taken up by cousin's. Basic maths tell you that with $18m left after cousin's tag we are not getting any top notch FA's. Get ready for 3rd tier FA's like McClain again and a 7 win season. 

HTTR 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

There are very few top notch FAs this season, and most of them will be resigned by their current teams (Brees, Bell). There's no Calais Campbell out there who will be getting $15M annually.

$18M is plenty of space for 2018 free agency. 

16 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

There are very few top notch FAs this season, and most of them will be resigned by their current teams (Brees, Bell). There's no Calais Campbell out there who will be getting $15M annually.

We have 19 free agents to find spots and or money for not counting Cousins in this scenario with only 18 million to do it. That's not even counting rookies. Good luck with that. Maybe they will all sign for 750k.

Just now, fordranger76 said:

We have 19 free agents to find spots and or money for not counting Cousins in this scenario with only 18 million to do it. That's not even counting rookies. Good luck with that. Maybe they will all sign for 750k.

Well said 

HTTR 

20 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

I'm sorry to say that your wrong. Our team next year is ****** if we pay Cousin's $34m next year. 

HTTR 

11 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

We aren't going to resign all of those FAs and we shouldn't. The rookie pool will be about $7.5M. The main FAs are Zach Brown, Lauvao, Trent Murphy, Breeland, Nsekhe, and Spencer Long. Of those, arguably Brown is the only impact player and he's probably gone anyway. I don't see us resigning Breeland. 

Only about 20 guys of the 53 have a cap number greater than $1M. So yes, we are going to have a lot of guys making $750K. The point is that even in the very bad scenario of paying Cousins $35M, free agency is possible, but we still will have people arguing that even $25M is too much. 

10 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

I'm sorry to say that your wrong. Our team next year is ****** if we pay Cousin's $34m next year. 

Well that proves it. I guess it is a really good idea to lose a franchise QB so you can sign a bunch of JAGs. 

17 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

, admits

We aren't going to resign all of those FAs and we shouldn't. The rookie pool will be about $7.5M. The main FAs are Zach Brown, Lauvao, Trent Murphy, Breeland, Nsekhe, and Spencer Long. Of those, arguably Brown is the only impact player and he's probably gone anyway. I don't see us resigning Breeland. 

Only about 20 guys of the 53 have a cap number greater than $1M. So yes, we are going to have a lot of guys making $750K. The point is that even in the very bad scenario of paying Cousins $35M, free agency is possible, but we still will have people arguing that even $25M is too much. 

Well that proves it. I guess it is a really good idea to lose a franchise QB so you can sign a bunch of JAGs. 

well, Kirk has already shown he can't lead a team of JAGS very far in the past three years.  Everyone, even Kirk's fans, admits we need to get a better team around him.  But the simple fact is we don't have the resources to do that if we give him the money he seems to want. 

We cannot have both and I'm sick of people suggesting we can

15 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

A lot of those guys that fall into what I said are depth guys. The total they made alone last year was roughly 30 million dollars. At 18 million in this case we are not only screwed but royally screwed. We are missing a starting LG, WR, 2 MLB's that we have to find money for. Are you suggesting we just get a bunch of vet minimum guys in here to fill the spots?  If you thought we stunk last year boy howdy. Even if we did that we still paid out 14 million dollars. It's not happening with Cousins making 35 million. 

29 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

What are you talking about?. I said if we sign Cousin's to his tag hit of $34m we won't be able to sign top tier FA's, and we will only be able to sign 3rd tier guys to cover the rest of our holes we have on our roster. And with only $18m cap left. I'm all for cousin's staying as long as it's a LTD when his cap hit next year could be as low as $18m. Now that would leave us $34m to sign some of our own FA's, sign some extentions like Sherff and get some FA's from other teams.

HTTR 

2 hours ago, fordranger76 said:

A lot of those guys that fall into what I said are depth guys. The total they made alone last year was roughly 30 million dollars. At 18 million in this case we are not only screwed but royally screwed. We are missing a starting LG, WR, 2 MLB's that we have to find money for. Are you suggesting we just get a bunch of vet minimum guys in here to fill the spots?  If you thought we stunk last year boy howdy. Even if we did that we still paid out 14 million dollars. It's not happening with Cousins making 35 million. 

https://overthecap.com/calculator/washington-redskins/

We have 65 players under contract. Only the top 51 count until the regular season. We're at $52M available. The rookie pool will be about $7M and if we actually pay Cousins $35M there's $10M left over. 

If we add 7 rookies and Cousins, 73 players are under contract. So we'd have to cut 20 guys already if we sign nobody else. Point being that we're going to have more than $10M to spend. And all of this is under the worst case scenario of paying him $35M when a long term deal would be more like $25M annually, so there's another $10M. 

Josh Norman's cap hit is almost $17M. Cut him instead of letting a franchise QB go. 

Long story short the "we can't afford it" argument doesn't hold up when you actually look at the numbers. Snyder will be counting on people buying that argument when the Redskins have to explain why they've ****ed this up so royally. 

Keim was on the train before FA  last year that the team wanted Calais Campbell.  I've seen the drill of them waiting a deep threat multiple times.  Not that its a big surprise.  But yeah I recall one beat guy saying Jay wanted to bring D Jax back last off season but apparently the FO disagreed.  I recall D. Jax saying that Jay kept texting him before FA. 

As for FA what does this mean?  Not sure.  Paul Richardson?  Taylor Gabriel?  John Brown?  I saw today Allen Robinson won't be let go by D. Jax and they'd franchise him if need be.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/35440/jay-gruden-wants-kirk-cousins-to-have-more-trust-in-his-receivers

The Redskins also want to add a speedy receiver opposite Doctson to create more openings for big plays – much like Jackson did in clearing out areas if nothing else.

Archived