Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah, Mason Foster isn't going to look so hot beside Vigil or Compton.  We've seen that show before.

Vigil and Spaight looked pretty good together so if worst comes to worst they migt work next to Foster

6 minutes ago, carex said:

Vigil and Spaight looked pretty good together so if worst comes to worst they migt work next to Foster

We have different definitions for pretty good.

Perhaps against slow, plodding teams but they will get blown away by teams with speed.

Spaight isn't slow, but he's extremely hit or miss, literally.

7 minutes ago, carex said:

You're kidding right?

Spaight was personally responsible for at least 20 points against the last two games.

28 minutes ago, Paul Cumberland said:

Norwell's been discussed here.  Look like Giants are targeting him

Said the other day Gettleman signed Norwell as an undrafted free agent. I expect him to sign for the Giants. Anything else would be a nice surprise.

7 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I like Mason, it's a good signing, but all things considered, Zach Brown is what changed the LB core (when the starters were healthy).  He brought the extra speed, skill, and intangibles.  

I can't disagree with this, but it's worth considering how much the play of Ioannidas and Allen changed things for the backers. 

With that said, and even though Vigil stepped up and played well, that speed from Brown was something we previously lacked on D. 

If we manage to re-sign Brown and add a NT/DT in the 1st, I'm going to feel quite good about this defense.  

If Brown walks, I wonder what we do with that cash.  Simply re-sign our own?  Do we pursue Logan or Poe, or look to spend (more) on a receiver?  

Just remember that while Brown is a fan favorite, he can't cover a bed with fitted sheets. No more than 6 million for him and that's on the high side. There is a reason he didn't get much love in free agency last year. Also Sheldon Richardson is out there for the Poe and Logan lovers. I believe he is the better player and fits the scheme and rotation a lot more.

I think Foster is a good signing - I have liked him since he has been here. I would like to see him next to brown but if we were able to bolster the big guys up front then Foster is always going to look better. I think Brown hits the market but I still don't see there is a strong market for the ILB - I suspect he will find the market a little better than a year ago but he is not going to be blown away by offers - but I do really like him. 

I think the FO is going to be very careful how it structures things - and plan for a big bill in March one way or the another...  

The other point is - it is actually nice to see the FO doing something and being active  - last year we talked to no one other than Vernon Davis pretty much until the eve of free agency 

32 minutes ago, bedlamVR said:

The other point is - it is actually nice to see the FO doing something and being active  - last year we talked to no one other than Vernon Davis pretty much until the eve of free agency 

We signed Morgan Moses to an extension 2 weeks before Vernon Davis.   I do agree, that I like having an earlier jump on things instead of pressing and coming down to it.  Now we need to make a decision on Kirk, one way or the other, and we need to take every shot at Brown that we can.  

1 hour ago, fordranger76 said:

Just remember that while Brown is a fan favorite, he can't cover a bed with fitted sheets. No more than 6 million for him and that's on the high side. There is a reason he didn't get much love in free agency last year. Also Sheldon Richardson is out there for the Poe and Logan lovers. I believe he is the better player and fits the scheme and rotation a lot more.

Yeah, couldn’t remember for sure if he was a FA.  I agree that he’d be a better fit.  Poe concerns me due to weight and I seriously doubt he helps our DT rotation in nickel.  

As for ILBs - Walter has Bowman and Williamson (TEN) as the top ILBs available... I’m curious how we look to replace Brown if he walks.  

We should have done this last year instead of wasting money on the McC's, but better late than never:

CSN Mid-Atlantic's Rich Tandler expects the Redskins to be interested in impending free agent NT Bennie Logan.
The Redskins chased Logan last offseason as a free agent, but he chose a one-year, $8 million deal in Kansas City and bet on himself. Logan's play dipped a bit with the Chiefs getting smeared in run defense, but Logan just turned 28. Washington hasn't had a true nose tackle the past couple years. Jan 26 - 9:59 AM

The Redskins aren't expected to re-sign impending free agent LG Shawn Lauvao.

Starting C Spencer Long is also set to be a free agent. Long opened his career as the Redskins' left guard, but the team also doesn't want him there. Lauvao is now 30 and always seems to be hurt, ending three of the last four seasons on IR. Washington's line crumbled with injuries this past year.

Jan 26 - 10:04 AM

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

We should have done this last year instead of wasting money on the McC's, but better late than never:

CSN Mid-Atlantic's Rich Tandler expects the Redskins to be interested in impending free agent NT Bennie Logan.
The Redskins chased Logan last offseason as a free agent, but he chose a one-year, $8 million deal in Kansas City and bet on himself. Logan's play dipped a bit with the Chiefs getting smeared in run defense, but Logan just turned 28. Washington hasn't had a true nose tackle the past couple years. Jan 26 - 9:59 AM

Logan would be one of my premier FA targets. To be fair I think we made a very strong push to get him last year, but he along with Poe decided one year prove it deals suited them better. That was no good for us at the time.

10 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I would like to see a LTD come together with Zac Brown soon.

Me too, but reports are that he wants to hit free agency before he makes any deal to be anywhere.  Also seen cap ramifications regarding the signing bonus with signing him prior to the start of the new league year.  

We can lose Brown. ILB is one of the cheaper positions in todays NFL.

What matters is the guys up front. Zach Brown wouldn't be flying around the backfield making plays playing behind the 2016 D-Line. 

Continue to rebuild the D-Line; need a strong replacement for Ziggy Hood. 

16 minutes ago, Mooka said:

We can lose Brown. ILB is one of the cheaper positions in todays NFL.

What matters is the guys up front. Zach Brown wouldn't be flying around the backfield making plays playing behind the 2016 D-Line. 

Continue to rebuild the D-Line; need a strong replacement for Ziggy Hood. 

I know it's unpopular, but I'm with you on that.  I would not pay Zach Brown 10M a season.  Lucky for us though, I don't think anyone else will either.  I want him back but don't want to pay 10M for a 2 down MLB under any circumstances.

17 minutes ago, method man said:

If we can't resign ZB, is Ryan Anderson the guy who should be next to Foster? He's blocked today by a host of rush guys at the OLB spot

I wouldn’t rule it out, but he’s now next man up at OLB unless Galette or Murphy re-sign, and we have Vigil and Spaight at ILB.  

If Brown won't sign with us before FA for under $10 mil/yr then let him hit FA. He is fast and can run stop, but can't cover well and doesn't call plays. reat for lots of tackles though. He's very good, but ILB is not expensive these days and I don't think the market will give him 10/yr eaither, just like last year.

If he doesn't sign with us before FA at $8mil/yr or less, then I wouldn't be surprised if we get him back after the FA market sets Brown's value for $6-8/yr. Brown is very good, not elite IMO. But I'll take very good at $6-8/yr at ILB.

Archived