Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The State of the Roster

skinny21

So, this is awful timing on my part after consecutive beatdowns by the Cowboys and Chargers... but I’m feeling conflicted with the talent level of the team.  So I thought we could talk about what needs to be improved and what doesn’t.  As the title suggests, I’m leaving ownership and GM issues out.  

Part of me looks at the roster, from top to bottom, and thinks we have a whole lot of talent (albeit some, or a lot, of it injured).  The defense in particular has been the most confusing.  It just doesn’t seem that losing Allen and Foster (and Nicholson, I suppose) should be significant enough to take what seemed like a decent defense and turn it into this abysmal mess.  

So, I thought we could take a look at the roster as it stands now and moving forward.  Specifically, who are the guys we want to continue with us (ie. guys we are comfortable with as starters), and which spots need to be upgraded. 

Defense:

Safety:  I like Swearinger, though he does get exposed at times.  I think he’s a solid SS.  Not a big fan of him playing single high, but he’s better than some others we’ve put back there recently.  Really like the potential of Nicholson, though health issues loom large.  Everett is mostly just a guy, but he has value similar to Niles Paul - can play both safety spots and is a pretty good STer.  

Corners:  I like our corners, even if I’m sometimes questioning what they’re doing.  We have a decent group, including depth.  I’m thrilled that the slot corner position finally has an answer after years of struggles.  

ILB:  I think Brown and Foster are a very nice duo.  

OLB:  Smith has fallen off a bit from his fast start, but he pairs well with Kerrigan.  

DE:  It’s been nice to see McGee (and Lanier, to an extent) step up recently.  Add McClain (if he ever gets going) and I think it’s... an ok group.  

DT:  Ioannidas and Allen look to be a very good match here.  Again, McGee and Lanier are ok in rotation.  

NT: Hood... I don’t know.  He seems to be slightly better than expected, but that’s not saying much.  

Random other pieces:  there are a few guys - Francis and Smithson, for example, that could bolster our depth if they stick around next year.  

So what needs to change?  I’m pretty happy with virtually all of our starters.  In our base D, I’d like to address NT and DE.  I’m expecting Brown and Foster to be re-signed and Breeland to walk, but I’m comfortable saying that a combo of Dunbar and Moreau should be able fill that void.  In terms of depth, I’d like to bring back Murphy and/or Galette, and draft an ILB, OLB, DE/DT and a corner to compete with Holsey for the 5th spot.  

Offense:

Oline:  3 positions are set (LT, RT, and RG), and I think we’re likely set at C as well (Roullier or Long).  

TE:  I think Davis is a fine number 1.  Sprinkle has shown a bit, enough that I could see him manning the #2 spot.  Reed is, well... there’s a thread for that.  Paul is valuable in his own way, but I think you could argue that he’s maybe somewhat emblematic of what’s wrong with this team.  A guy that is so-so as a pass catcher, not a good blocker, but will stick around because he does what’s asked of him, is capable on Teams and is a ‘leader’.  For our 4th TE, I’d rather have someone with potential.  Someone that can do at least one thing well even if they need to be coached up in other areas (see Compton, McClain, Mack Brown - way back when, Golston in years past, etc.).  

RB:  Perine’s done some good things.  His average is poor, but he’s shown some good burst, vision and hands.  I’d certainly like to see more, but my hunch is that our run game woes start elsewhere.  Thompson is a stud, and Marshall is a guy I’d like to give a chance.  

Receiver:  Grant’s maybe a low end #2, and Crowder, for all his issues this year, is a good a lot receiver.  Doctson, at this point, is an okay #2.  He’s shown potential to be more, but it’s hard to be sold as of yet.  

QB:  I’m leaving this to the appropriate thread, but count me as one that wants him to return.  

Looks like we’re going need depth on the oline.  The biggest issues are at receiver of course, though there are some questions at runningback and we could use a blocking or all-around TE.  

Good thread and it's precisely which confuses and frustrates me with this team. Even some of the street subs seem to have at times overperformed expectations. I think what Warhead said might the crux of it though.

The Redskins have been pretty good at accumulating good, solid players, but they haven't found many game changers. That may be why we don't see as much drop off when we go from the starter to their back up. Is there that much difference between a B and a C? What we lack are A's. There are still holes, some due to injury, and some due to players not on the roster (Do we have the starting receivers we want?) Is Foster the answer? Do we have an answer at free safety (We might, but Nicholson needs to figure out how to stay on the field.)

In one respect, we have done a pretty good job of building and finding depth. We are at least okay everywhere with each position having credible back ups. On the other, the team is just missing something. I don't know if that's about coaching, play calling, or talent. I'd guess it's a mix of all of the above.

On one hand @Burgold, I look at our cast of ‘good’ players - Kerrigan, Cousins, Norman, Ioannidas, Williams, Scherff, Fuller, Brown, Thompson, Reed (when healthy), Crowder (the past two years), Allen, and maybe Breeland, Smith, Moses, Davis, Swearinger and Foster - and I think there’s more (good) talent than usual.  

On the other hand, 1) so many of those are either injured or playing hurt, and 2) we are really lacking a (consistent) big play guy at receiver.  Thompson mitigated some of the loss of Jackson, for example, but once he was injured...

So, I think there’s something to @Warhead36‘s point, as you said.  

My broader point is that I’m not entirely sure how you fix that.  Sure, you work on improving your depth, hope to add a big play receiver, etc., but I’m struggling to find starters that absolutely need to be replaced - on defense especially.  Which, of course, takes me back to injuries...

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

We actually have decent depth. But we really lack top end game changing talent. We don't have guys that can just change games single handily with a big play which puts a lot of pressure on us to just have to out execute everyone all the time.

I agree with this. The lack of elite talent is what is most noticeable. 

I still think the roster is overrated in general by the fan base. They have a handful of good to slightly above average players. I believe the only elite player currently on the team is Trent Williams. No idea why he is playing at all, your franchise left tackle is risking his knee for what? An 8-8 season at best? 5-11 at worst?

Really high on Kendall Fuller, I think he and Brown have been the lone bright spots for this Defense. I liked what I saw out of Allen, but its such a small sample size that I'd like to see what he could do with a full healthy year.

26 minutes ago, Capt'n Obvious said:

I agree with this. The lack of elite talent is what is most noticeable. 

I still think the roster is overrated in general by the fan base. They have a handful of good to slightly above average players. I believe the only elite player currently on the team is Trent Williams. No idea why he is playing at all, your franchise left tackle is risking his knee for what? An 8-8 season at best? 5-11 at worst?

I think this is key. It was a couple of years ago, but I asked who on the team is a future HOF player.  Williams is clearly the closest, and I think he's starting to slow down.  I'm not sure he's really an elite player any more.

You don't compete for  championships with a bunch of good to okay players.

We need to keep adding monsters on the D line and find out why our O line cant run block, maybe its those 2 holes at C and LG or maybe our O line just isn't as good as everyone thinks.

We need to focus on the LOS and the rest will work itself out.

Trent Williams has been a rock but he'll turn 30 before the next season, which will be his 9th, begins.  Skins have to start finding his replacement soon.  And that's going to involve a high draft pick as well.

Moses gets hurt a lot.  The rest of the OL is average at best.  

Outside of Thompson, Skins have no legit skill position players that opposing defenses need to gameplan for.

QB?  That's a different thread.

As for the rest of the roster, I think it's overrated by some fans as well.  Allen may be a good DL player but I'll need to see how he responds to his Lisfranc injury next year.  Those can be tricky, especially for a big man.  Ion is a nice complement to him.  Outside pass rush?  Meh...Kerrigan makes a few plays but he takes way too long to get to the QB for my liking.  Skins need a dominant outside rusher.  Some of the young secondary guys like Fuller, Nicholson, etc can play and have a role on this team.  At LB, Brown needs to be re-signed.  The rest of the defense?  Not that stellar in my opinion.

Overall, I only see a few sure-fire keepers here.  This roster impresses me little.

26 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

I think this is key. It was a couple of years ago, but I asked who on the team is a future HOF player.  Williams is clearly the closest, and I think he's starting to slow down.  I'm not sure he's really an elite player any more.

You don't compete for  championships with a bunch of good to okay players.

I’m trying not to overrate our players, but I think an argument could be made for several guys actually... though it’s way too soon to call them HOF worthy right now.  Scherff, Norman, Kerrigan, Brown and Reed all have the talent to be in the conversation anyway.  The first four need to keep doing what they’re doing and (probably) somehow get a ring.  Reed is a long shot obviously, but I think that’s almost solely due to health.  No longer with us, but I think Jackson could make it - one of the best deep ball receivers in history I think.  

Not ready to include Cousins, (he needs to up his TDs and win %) but I think he’s taking a similar path as Drew Brees.  With a better cast around him, who knows.  

Forget the Hall of Fame though, who do you think fits McGlouhan’s ‘blue chip’ type of player?  Who are the ‘reds’?  

In a broader scope, which units are clearly sub par?  Or, maybe more accurately, which ones need a talent infusion?

@jschuck12001 agree about the dline. Really like what we saw from Allen/Ioannidas early, but we could definitely use more horses there.  Oline, I think we need more power from the C and LG spot (I think Roullier can probably man one), but I also think a blocking TE would make a big difference.  

@LightningBuggs - stellar?  Maybe not (aside from probably Norman), but Smith, Foster, Swearinger and Breeland are decent starters at minimum.  So we have Allen and Ioannidas, Kerrigan and Smith, Brown and Foster, Breeland, Fuller and Norman, Swearinger and Nicholson.  All of them look to be pretty good, to good starters.  Agree that we could use a dominant pass rusher though.  Just seems (I guess) that injuries to Allen, Foster, Nicholson, as well as games missed by Ioannidas (and our corners)took their toll.  

10 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I’m trying not to overrate our players, but I think an argument could be made for several guys actually... though it’s way too soon to call them HOF worthy right now.  Scherff, Norman, Kerrigan, Brown and Reed all have the talent to be in the conversation anyway.  The first four need to keep doing what they’re doing and (probably) somehow get a ring.  Reed is a long shot obviously, but I think that’s almost solely due to health.  No longer with us, but I think Jackson could make it - one of the best deep ball receivers in history I think.  

Not ready to include Cousins, (he needs to up his TDs and win %) but I think he’s taking a similar path as Drew Brees.  With a better cast around him, who knows.  

Forget the Hall of Fame though, who do you think fits McGlouhan’s ‘blue chip’ type of player?  Who are the ‘reds’?  

In a broader scope, which units are clearly sub par?  Or, maybe more accurately, which ones need a talent infusion?

Norman, Kerrigan, Brown, and Reed are not even close to HoF worthy. Like at all. Maybe the Redskins Ring of Fame for Kerrigan, but HoF? No chance. Not saying you think they are Hall of Famers, but they aren't even in the conversation and shouldn't be. They're all above average to good players on a bad team.

Norman is a good corner in the right scheme, he has had a down year, but is nowhere near a problem. I'd categorize him as a good player. Kerrigan is a good player, consistent, and durable. Zach Brown is good as a run stopper, but he struggles in pass coverage, still light years above any inside backer we have had since London Fletcher. Jordan Reed has elite level talent as a pass catcher, but is a terrible blocker, and obviously isn't durable at all.

I'd have to agree that I think Trent is the only HoF caliber player. I believe he hasn't allowed a sack all year and that is on 1.5 knees. The rest of the line is average right now taking into account injuries and how atrocious they are at run blocking even before the injuries.

To answer your last question I would say obviously the Defense needs a talent upgrade, more specifically the D line. I'd also say special teams but I'm not sure if thats coaching, effort or what, but it has been consistently bad for the last few years.

15 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

It is extremely hard to make the HOF as guard.  That alone make Scherff unlikely unless he makes the move to the outside.  Kerrigan isn't making the Hall of Fame unless he has a tremendous back end of his career.  Brown has been here one year, and we'll see if he comes back.  Jackson had his best years as an Eagle, and I don't think he'll make it, but if he does it will mostly be based on his career as an Eagle  And Reed isn't it making it.

Norman would be 2nd, but he's been not good this yearr.  It is his injury or something in particular about this year, then he's a maybe, but I'm not sure it isn't scheme/ability related, and he's been exposed this year.

They all could use an infusion of talent.  Top end talent.

It makes perfect sense for our offense to struggle and, quite honestly, the fact that they're in the top 10 is very impressive... Our OL is in shambles, our WR corp is ehh (I'm still bullish on Doctson), our stud TE is Mr. Glass, our RB corp is on the less-talented side, so it pretty much all relies on Kirk and Gruden. Like @skinny21, I'll leave that to other boards, but the bottom line is that the offense took a step back this past off-season and then piled up injuries.

The defense struggles are less comprehensible. Sure, Allen, Foster, and Montae were playing at a high level and they're missed, but regressing back to the dead last defense can't all be blamed on three injuries; every defense has a handful. Is it Manusky? I hated how we spent so much money on the Mac bros last year, but if we had landed, say Bennie Logan, would he really have made that big of a difference? Dead last in defense points to coaching. Even with the injuries, there's enough talent to be middle-of-the-pack.

Regardless, I hate the fact that I've had to wrastle with the thought of "losing out for a higher draft pick" with a month of football left...

17 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

20 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

Outside pass rush?  Meh...Kerrigan makes a few plays but he takes way too long to get to the QB for my liking.  Skins need a dominant outside rusher.  Some of the young secondary guys like Fuller, Nicholson, etc can play and have a role on this team.  At LB, Brown needs to be re-signed.  The rest of the defense?  Not that stellar in my opinion.

Overall, I only see a few sure-fire keepers here.  This roster impresses me little.

I agree!

QB:  Yeah that's another thread

OL:  LT & RG: great, RT: solid when healthy.  Rest:  Meh

TE:  Reed: Special but that means nothing if he can't stay healthy.  Davis: solid but not a spring chicken.  Rest:  meh

RB:  Other than Thompson, defenses are not afraid!  I'm not giving up on Perine, but I do not think he is dynamic.

WR:  Crowder, usually solid.  Doctson:  Hopeful for him.  Rest:  Meh

DL:  Allen shows promise.  Ioannidas is a surprise.  Rest:  Meh

OLB:  Where did Smith go?  Kerrigan:  Solid but not spectacular.  Rest:  Meh

ILB:  Brown:  Beast!! Rest:  Meh

CB:  Solid young talent. Norman: doesn't seem like himself last couple games but solid usually.

S:  Love Swearinger's fire, not his coverage ability though.  Nicholson shows promise, can he stay healthy?

On defense:  We have lacked the ability to generate pressure consistently for years.  Corners cannot cover forever no matter who is back there.  

On Offense:   Where to start?  A more dynamic 3 down back is something we haven’t had in a long time.  Thompson is great but too small to be in there every down.  A consistent running game as all of you know opens everything else up.  Our offensive line struggles with run blocking but when they do open a hole, our RB’s can’t seem to find it.

If Brown (pro bowler last year and maybe in the conversation this year?) leads the league in tackles for several years and makes a handful of pro bowls... can he make it?  

Kerrigan isn’t really elite, but his durability and consistency could be enough.  Makes me think of Art Monk.  That’s why I say maybe he needs a ring (or more), but I don’t think it’s really an outlandish possibility.  

Norman, I don’t know.  As I said, he has the talent,he needs to have more seasons like last year/previous years.  

Agree that Scherff is a long shot based on the unheralded nature of the position, but talent level?  I think he’s there - elite level of play, I believe.  

Also agree that Reed almost assuredly isn’t going to make it.  When he’s healthy though?  He’s a matchup nightmare.  So again, he’s got the talent.  

Again, I’m just saying we may have some HOF talent... doesn’t at all mean they make it.  We also have a guy like Kerrigan, that isn’t really a HOF talent, but is a consistently good (arguably very good) player.  

Edit:  Defensively, I wonder how much of their struggles coincide with, or are aggravated by 1) an offense that sometimes can’t sustain drives (past two games, for example, 2) injuries causing them to wear down by end of halves/games, and 3) turnovers by ST and the offense leading to shortened fields.  I certainly wouldn’t rule out Manusky as part of the problem (he doesn’t strike me as the type to win the chess match aspect), though I’m not ready to turn on him yet.  I’d like to see what he can do with this defense healthy as well as added depth/talent to the front 7.  

So much to say and such little time!!! 

Defensive Backs:

Norman and Fuller are quality players

Swearinger is on his fourth team in four years and that isnt because NFL teams are in the habit of allowing quality young players to leave their Organizations

Cant watch Breeland or Dunbar any more

Everett is a back up

Nicholson showed a glimpse but seems injury prone

Cravens should be cut

Linebackers:

Brown needs to be resigned...he is a very good player and I hope we work out an extension with him

Foster is solid and would be ok if paired with Brown for the next few years but I do feel like we could use an early draft pick on an inside backer

Compton and Spaight are strictly backups

Outside Linebackers:

Kerrigan is a stud but in our scheme we need another consistent pass rushing threat opposite him...Preston Smith is not consistent and seems to lack burst, Anderson seems to be a physical effort type player but has zero pass rush intuition or technique (he consistently just tries to bull rush the middle of the edge protectors that block him).  Trent Murphy is a lot like Preston Smith in my eyes.  We need a difference maker opposite Kerrigan and one is currently not on the roster.

Defensive Line;

Need a Nose....Just as much as rush linebackers are important in our scheme and safety play...having a massive run stuffing nose that can collapse the pocket is a necessity also.  We do not have one on the roster.  Allen will be a great player if he can stay healthy...The rest of the guys are quality backups IMO.

Overall I feel like we need a massive influx of quality defensive players in order to fix what we have seen the past two weeks.

Scotty Daydrinker fixed fundamental problem of the Skins since 1999, which has always been that 1-22, we were typically as good as anyone (except possibly at QB. But 23-53, we were horrific. So when you inevitably lost a starter on offense or a starter on defense, the entire house of cards collapsed.

I think from, say, 8 to 53, we have as much talent as anyone. Now, the problem is 1 through 7. I feel like the backups are generally as good as the starters now, which is good in some ways but a huge problem in others.

The Steelers have been on prime time seemingly all month, and I think they sort of stink - except for the fact that they have a RB and WR among the best I've ever seen. When you have a receiver that can go for 200 yards seemingly every week, you cover up a lot of problems.

I'm obviously not saying that you need to find Antonio Brown in the draft (though that would be nice), but an All Pro caliber receiver or running back or even TE changes things a lot.

Reed was supposed to be that guy on offense and Norman on defense, but both have disappointed.

First, Art Monk was elite.  Art Monk caught over 100 balls as a WR at a time when it was essentially unheard of for a WR to do so.  The league just changed so fast that people forgot how elite he was.  When Art Monk caught 106 balls in 1984, nobody had done so since 1964.  And other than Dwight Clark in the 1982 shortened strike year you had to go back until 1972 to find the last time a WR led the NFL in receptions.  

And then nobody got 100 receptions again until Jerry Rice in 1990, but to get to 100 receptions for Rice, the 49ers threw the ball about 100 times more than the 1984 Redskins (and the 49ers were 2nd in pass attempts).  Using any sort of reasonable correction for pass attempts, Monk's best years were easily AT LEAST equal to the other receivers that he was later compared to where his totals didn't match up.  And even based on 1984, the Redskins did not throw a lot to get Monk his 106 receptions (they were 21st in pass attempts). 

Monk was catching more balls than any other player in the NFL at a WR at a time when WR didn't catch many balls even though his team was throwing the ball less than most teams.  Yes, players came after him that also caught a lot of balls, but they did so on teams that threw much more than his Redskins teams and were nearly always among the league leaders in pass attempts.

(The equivalent for Kerrigan would be if he racked up the sacks number he does playing on a team where he doesn't get the opportunity to rush the pass much, which would mean he'd have a high sack percentage, which I don't think is the case.)

From there, Kerrigan is a very good player.  If he has a tremendous back part of his career (e.g. playing well for a long time), he could make the HoF, but that seems unlikely.  There's nothing in Kerrigan's history that suggest he's going to be especially durable and playing at a high level for a long time.

The broader point I want to make though, is that Kerrigan is a good player, but if I have a chance to upgrade him with a truly HOF level player, I am going to do so.  I don't think he's the weakness of the defense (probably interior DL), but he's also not good enough to cover for that weakness

And that's what a truly HOF level player allows you to do.  Just due to injury, timing, the cap, and free agency, it is very difficult to build a team that is simply good every where, which means in terms of thinking about being just a good team, building one by being good everywhere is very hard to do. 

Every team has weaknesses.  The best teams have exceptional players that cover up those weaknesses.  If I can updgrade the OLB position with a HOF level player, I'm going to do it because that will help cover my weakness at DL.

(I think their biggest weaknesses are offensive skill positions (RB, WR, and TE (given Reed's injury history)) and DL so I guess those would be the immediate places I'd look to upgrade.  And I suspect, Gruden would tell you on offense that the TE is the biggest issue for him, where I think he'd really like to run a lot of 2-threat TE sets.  However, I think thinking about the team that way is a mistake because it leads you down a path that is very difficult to build a real winner.  The better question to ask is where and how can we obtain HOF level talent that's going to allow us to cover our weaknesses realizing that we are mostly likely going to have weaknesses.

But that's a fundamental issue that the Redskins FO doesn't seem to understand.)

Focus on the weaker positions of the team:

HB Samaje Perine looks like a good fit for the team + Thompson. 3rd stringers to choose from 

WR Josh Doctson has the look of a #1 receiver, if healthy, yet to sync with Kirk. Crowder is being over-targeted by Cousins, but remains an impact slot receiver. 

LG Arie Kouandjio is hard to watch. Spencer Long in 2018?

C Chase Roullier is starting a year too soon. One of his weaknesses coming out of the draft is showing up: needs another year of strength training.  

NT Ziggy Hood getting pushed around. Incredible endurance..... Love to give A.J. Francis a shot as a reserve but it'll be tight next year. 

ILB Zach Brown and Mason Foster are not the impact starter that is needed at that position. Spaight is close to being an okay starter.

FS Montae Nicholson is rangy, but needs to realize his consistently poor tackling technique is a recipe for concussions. 

Team remains weak down the middle. Smith hasn't been the force that was hoped for (maybe Anderson takes over in 2018 with Galette as the place-holder/reserve). Have to think they'll look within (Moreau) to replace an outgoing Breeland and they look to Harris/Davis/Quick as the #2. I'd rather ignore the #2 receiver and upgrade other key areas. Ideally Long returns as the LG, but they may want to try Nsekhe there (cost savings). Nicholson figuring out his technique is a 'huge if' but remains essential for the defense to play an effective 34 defense. 

In theory when a team is as mediocre as this one, and seems to get worse record wise the past couple years, it seems like everything needs improvement or change but I'll try to be reasonable, so here goes...

1. Dan Snyder - Winning with Snyder will be a struggle. Even if we do win, it won't be joyous, because he'll probably charge fans a fee each time they say the team name. He needs to go. I'm sure we'll get an interview this off season where he will say how disappointing he is and how much he has learned, blah, blah, blah

2. Bruce Allen - What is his record since he's been GM/Teachers Pet? Can't be good, because we haven't been good. He needs to go.

3. Jay Gruden - What is his record after 4 years? Can't be good, because we haven't been good. Team starts flat and loses big games when we need them most. Bad luck, sure but it seems more like a trend than bad luck. He needs to go.

4. Kirk Cousins - Good QB, I mean he's having his best year despite crap offensive talent around him BUT, something about him just doesn't pass the eye test. Struggles to convert in the Redzone, too many bad INTs or fumbles, can't sustain drives as often as I would like, decent accuracy but I don't see him throwing to guys straight on the run. Dudes always have to adjust to make the catch. We don't have a back up plan so I guess we need to keep him. I'd start thinking about the future and drafting a young guy.

5. Running Backs - Don't need any one of them except for Chris Thompson. Don't care for Kelly or Perine. Thompson can always get hurt easier than most others so you need a legit stud #1 back. Cut the other two.

6. Tight End - I love Jordan Reed but trade him if you can get a decent pick. He's just always hurt and that doesn't help you when he can't play. We are mediocre with him and mediocre without him so what does it matter.

7. The Offensive Line - We need 2 new starters (center and left guard). I'd even consider getting rid of Moses or Scheriff if we can get decent draft picks for them. Kirk is good enough where any doink can be in there and he'll basically play the same. We need guys that can pass block and run block. These guys can't run block. They get pushed 2 yards back way too much. 

8. The Wide Receivers - We need a #1 and #2. Crowder should be #3 and Doctson a #4. I mean a real WR, not a former QB who plays WR for one year lol.

9. Ryan Kerrigan - I would trade him and get as high a draft pick as you can get. Not because he sucks but because he is at best decent and can at least net you a pick. Ryan is the type of guy who can get 9 sacks in the first game of the season and will only muster 1 sack the remaining 15 games so he can end up with 10 sacks, because that is what he is...a 10 sack guy. Not a world beater.

10. Preston Smith - Starts off strong, finishes not so much. Is he still stuck on 5 sacks? Didn't he have 4 the first 3 weeks of the season. 

11. Matt & Allen - I like these guys. Young, strong and haven't proven to be good or bad yet. Wait and see.

12. Linebackers - Zach Brown I like but everyone else needs an upgrade

13. Breeland - Needs to go, can't cover and too many penalities

14. Norman - I like but struggles (probably because our defense isn't that good)

15. Safety - I like DJ as a stop gap. The other safety, eh we need guys that can play or at least stay healthy to be in games. So looks like we need a safety too.

16. Defensive Coaching - We're pretty terrible so I don't know what to say about this.

Since we can't make all these changes, then we definitely need a better RB, WR and stronger offensive line.

We're ravaged by injuries, and the guys playing on the field now just aren't very good. Our top receiver is...Ryan Grant? We lost Taylor/Allen/Murphy on the Dline, and the two dudes we signed this offseason have been ineffective. We're starting two-three scrubs on the O-Line at any given time. We lack game changing talent in the middle of the defense, so we get gouged week after week. It's not a good roster as it stands. Had we been healthy, we might be a little more competitive.

As it stands now, we're going to finish dead last in PPG allowed on defense. We've allowed 30+ PPG in 5 of our last 7 games. Another season, another sorry, pathetic "defense".

Totally agree that the issue with this team is we lack true top end talent. I'm not sure gunning for future HoFers is the right lense to look at this...a lot of guys are late bloomers and won't get into the HoF as a result (Brown and Norman being two good examples). I think the better lense to look at this guys who have made / should make All-Pro teams over the next few seasons. In Williams, Scherff and Brown, I believe we have three guys, who when healthy have a great shot. (I like Norman but, off the top of my head, Lattimore, Bouye, Xavier Rhodes are all better than him). I think Allen may have a shot to join this group next year. If we examine this list, a clear issue is that we have no skill players in this category. If we can upgrade the skill players, it may have a ripple effect where we'll potentially then see a guy like Cousins jump into this set of All-Pros.

Under these All-Pros, you need that next tier of folks who are good enough to be Pro Bowlers or Pro Bowl alternates. I think any given season Cousins, Norman, Swearinger (if he's at SS), Kerrigan and Reed qualify. So now, we are at 4 guys who are All-Pro level and 5 guys who are at the Pro Bowl level. I believe if we can add another 1-2 guys (esp at the skill category) and 2-3 guys in the Pro Bowl category, we can make some noise next year.

You then have to map these goals to the draft and free agency. You have to ask yourself the question where do I need to spend the money to sign a FA because recent draft history shows that hitting on position X is 50/50 or worse?

Let me give you an example...

It is fair to say that wide receiver has historically been one of these positions where you'll find a lot of busts in round 1 - just look at the 2015 and 2016 drafts. Allen Robinson is my #1 FA target for a couple reasons. With a quality QB like Cousins, he is a guy who has a shot at being an All-Pro. Putting up 1,400 yards with Bortles throwing to you is very very impressive. His injury was an ACL tear - given it happened so early in the season, he'll have more than enough time to recover by training camp. We could also potentially take advantage of the fact that because NFL teams are notoriously conservative, if the Jags decide not to franchise him, he may be at a discount.

I would use Rounds 1-2 of the draft to find the best player available at a position of need, even if it is what is considered a low prestige position like RB or G. If our scouting staff believes Derrius Guice or Quenton Nelson or whoever have a high probability of being future Pro Bowlers, then go for them in Round 1. This is harder to do in Round 2 but there are always those guys who should've been first rounders on draft day but fall to Round 2 for some reason or another. Go for these guys! We never grab them and it always pisses me off. The team that consistently grabs these guys in Round 2 / 3 are the Cardinals. Darnell Dockett, Calais Campbell, Tyrann Mathieu...ugh. 

Another way to hack your way to future Pro Bowlers in the later rounds is that there are players out there who would be average in most schemes but stars in your scheme. Alfred Morris being the best example of ours in recent times. 

I think at this point people are starting to underrate the overall talent on our team.  Early in the season, we were competing against everyone, including beating the Rams and destroying the Raiders.  This team has been devastated by injuries more so than any team I can think of.  We have lost 40% of our starters, and in some cases, our backups also. 

During last week's Cowboys game, the commentator I believe said that we started 20+ different combinations on our OL...that's absurd.  Even when Trent Williams got initially injured and had to miss a few games, his backup(Nsekhe) was unavailable due to injury.  Our biggest playmaker on offense(Thompson) is on IR, and so is our second biggest playmaker(Reed, who has actually been more injured this year than his usual injury shortened seasons).

Our defense was looking like a very solid group that was jelling together and improving early on in the season.  Then our two best DL both get injured, with one landing on IR(Not to mention losing Phil Taylor, our starting NT, in the preseason).  Mason Foster AND his backup, Will Compton, both on IR.  Zach Brown playing injured for much of the second half of the year.  Our secondary lost our starting S right before the season starts due to a very oddly timed 'semi retirement.'  The backup safety comes in, shows great promise, then also gets injured for most of the season.  Both our starting corners have missed time with injuries.  Only 3 of our starting D players have been able to stay relatively healthy all year: Swearinger, Kerrigan and McGee.  

While upgrades certainly can be made at certain positions(RB, LG, OLB, WR), our team overall is fairly talented.  If we're able to keep Cousins on a semi-reasonable deal, have a good/great draft and stay relatively healthy, we can be a pretty good team next year.  

Find a top NT, find a RB who can actually break tackles and make a difference, find a decent returner. If you can also add a vet possession WR with a good health history to pair with Doctson then we are fine, just need to keep adding depth and prioritize the trenches and positions that could become thin in the near future.

If you tell me next year that our starting defense is: Allen, Io, talented NT, Preston, Brown, Foster, Kerrigan, Norman, Breeland/Fuller, Nicholson, Swearinger then I'll say they have top 10 potential if they stay healthy in the right spots.

If we keep Kirk, he has shown he can lead a good offense that doesn't have a ton of resources in it (due to the injuries this year). But we have got to prioritize getting him a good RB that can get us in the top half of the league for rushing. Perine was a good swing on draft day, but he's a miss. Can't break a tackle to save his life and that is what he's supposed to be good for. Definitely we need to keep adding depth on the OL. You pair Doctson with someone like Sanue or Kearse, a vet who won't break the bank but can produce a decent stat line on the season, we are good there IMO, let Doctson keep growing. 

Not to sidetrack, but McVay has been lucky in that he inherited a good D and a good RB and it's given good results overall. Pair that with Jay's offense and we have a good record as well.

I think we need to find out about some of these young receivers and get them in there these final 3 games...Harris, Robert Davis, Doctson, Crowder and Grant could be a good young group if you throw in a solid free agent (Jarvis Landry?).

At RB I am not impressed with Perine as a franchise back....After watching guys like Kenyon Drake and Alex Collins in Miami and Baltimore we need to find a more explosive back who can break tackles, make guys miss and run away from them. IMO, we are very weak at RB other than Thompson.

Defensively I think we are in very good shape, especially if Cravens comes back motivated and we re-sign Zac Brown. We need to get more out of the 2nd round LB from Alabama, Anderson, and just hope everyone can stay healthy. across the board..we got some good young depth in this years draft that I'm excited to see in year 2.

QB: If Kirk doesn't play ball and sign long term at a decent number then cut him lose, go with Colt and draft QB in the first round. We can win with Colt the same as the Vikings are winning with Keenum if we get the skill players going. Who knew Adam Thielen would be so good for them? Why can't we have a guy (Doctson) or two (M.Harris?) step up and have a good year? 

Archived