Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The State of the Roster

skinny21

On our roster, currently, that I feel are pieces worth moving forward with:

QB - Cousins, McCoy as backup

RB - Thompson/Perine (If for no other reason than to see if he improves in year 2)

Athlete - Bibbs or Marshall (would have to function in the slot, no room for both)

WR - Grant, Doctson, Crowder, Harris. Need a #1... bad.

TE - Davis/Sprinkle (see Perine)

OL - Williams, Scherff, Roullier, Moses, Nsekhe, Long

DL - Lanier, Ion, Allen, Hood

OLB - Kerrigan, Smith, Gallette, Anderson.

ILB - Brown, Vigil, Foster

CB - Fuller, Moreau, Norman, Breeland, Dunbar

S - Swearinger, Nicholson (reserve)

Of these guys, some are obviously just depth.

Given this list, I see that we need:

Bellcow Running Back

#1 Receiver

Tight End Depth

Left Guard (although I like Lauvao more than most, he's getting older and beat up)

G depth

T depth

Nose Tackle (Phil Taylor?)

DL depth

Starting ILB (maybe two if Brown walks, although Foster showed potential prior to injury)

ILB Depth

Starting FS/Safety Depth

**Depending on Cousins situation, you could add starting QB to the list

General Manager

Where we could improve but don't NEED anything: OLB (Galette could fill this gap a bit if he takes another leap forward. Murphy may not make the team. Anderson needs to take a considerable forward step)

Best position group on team: CB

Think that’s a good list @KDawg   

I wish we had gotten to see Nicholson play more (myriad injuries is concerning), because I think he can develop into a good free safety.  Love his range/size.  I’m hoping Smithson gets a chance as well.  It would be a nice change to have 2 true free safeties on the roster.  

Think I’d add Francis to the DL list.  Not as a starter (yet) but as depth.  

I’d keep Reed but hope to add a TE talent that affords us the chance to trade him.  Ditto McClain (though a cut instead of a trade).  

Also looking forward to seeing Kalis with a year under his belt (in the strength and conditioning program and with Callahan).  Similar to Francis, I think he could maybe start, but depth is more likely.  

I like Spaight as a depth player.  He could maybe fill/earn a starting role, but I’d feel a lot better with him backing up Brown and Foster.  I believe JHC could be a good fit as a dimebacker.  Glad he got some PT to (hopefully) help his development.  

We saw very little from him, but I have hopes for Holsey as a 5th/6th corner (maybe a backup for Fuller in the slot).  

Long story short, if we bring back Cousins, Brown, Foster, Long and Nsheke, I think - 

1) our starting offense is set outside of running back and #1 receiver (tall task though), and we have some decent depth with Nsheke, Perine, Sprinkle, Kalis, Harris, Davis (wr)

2) our nickel and dime D is pretty set, and we have depth almost across the board.  Hope we address DL in the draft though - DE and NT - to improve our base D.  Will be tough to find two starters there though.  

And, just because I feel like it needs to be mentioned, how about Lanier with 5 sacks in 9 games played?  Maybe Doug Williams was on to something. :)

6 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I think those examples prove my point more than anything. Arie was a 2nd or 3rd year guy. Nsheke is a project guy who worked out but he was like a 29 year old rookie. Now he's 31-ish but I wouldn't call him a vet. Same goes for Dunbar. He's still on his rookie contract after a move to CB. He's a guy thats improved leaps and bounds this year but I still wouldn't call him a vet - he's basically Pryor in reverse. Compton is borderline since he did sign a RFA tender, but he has like 2 seasons as a starter in this league. Everett is on his rookie deal. Grant is on his. Murphy and Smith are on theirs. 

So really the examples are Galette, Quick and the Macs and Hood, and probably Taylor. I think half of those are projects at this point (Galette wasn't a project 2 years ago but he's been so hurt that its hard to know what we'd get out of him. Same with Taylor). The Macs are two legit guys we got in FA who were quality depth rotational guys who upped the roster talent level and provided leadership kinda like DJ does for the secondary (ideally). But the roster's not glaring with examples of this. 

Ah, I see now.  I think of 3rd year players as vets.  If you’re going with 5+ years (and/or 3+ as a starter?), I can see what you’are saying.  

On a related note, I think we may see an uptick on ST play as the young guys get more experience and we (hopefully) don’t have this crazy amount of injuries going forward.  I have my doubts about Kotwica, but I also think he had some tough sledding with this group/situation.  

(Sorry for the double post, hoped it might tack on to my first one) :(

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

RB - Thompson/Perine (If for no other reason than to see if he improves in year 2)

Athlete - Bibbs or Marshall (would have to function in the slot, no room for both)

Of these guys, some are obviously just depth.

Given this list, I see that we need:

Bellcow Running Back

#1 Receiver

Tight End Depth

Left Guard (although I like Lauvao more than most, he's getting older and beat up)

G depth

T depth

Nose Tackle (Phil Taylor?)

DL depth

Starting ILB (maybe two if Brown walks, although Foster showed potential prior to injury)

ILB Depth

Starting FS/Safety Depth

**Depending on Cousins situation, you could add starting QB to the list

General Manager

Where we could improve but don't NEED anything: OLB (Galette could fill this gap a bit if he takes another leap forward. Murphy may not make the team. Anderson needs to take a considerable forward step)

Best position group on team: CB

i think qb is strongest set if Cousins resigns. 

need a starting:

rb

te (true blocking and pass catching) 

wr x2 

c

lg

nt 

fs 

ilb 

olb 

if skins keep cousins there is likely 3 seasons of 8 win type seasons until the team around him is complete. if cousins walks this is a 2-4 win team. some good spots here and there in important positions.

i would abandon 3-4 at this point unless redskins get a true nt. no point in running it without a nt. 

with reports that Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor could be out in Seattle after this season, we might want to look to one of them for safety help.

The other interesting idea is cutting Norman and re-signing Breeland. Personally, I believe 24 is a great piece for us, but the money we save on him could help us shore up safety and still have a damned good CB group.

Thomas would cost a hell of a lot more than Chancellor, but he’s also more versatile.

I would like to take a stab.

QB: Cousins, McCoy

HB: Perine,Thompson

WR: Doctson, Crowder, Grant, Harris

TE: Reed, Davis, Sprinkle

OL: Williams, Roullier, Scherff, Moses, Neske

DL:McGee, Allen, Ioannidis, Lanier

OLB:Kerrigan, Smith, Anderson, Gallette

MLB: Brown, Vigil, Harvey-Clemons

CB: Norman, Fuller, Dunbar, Moreau, Holsey

S:Swearinger, Nicholson

QB: I dunno. Can we do better? I would like to say yes. But where? How? Draft you cant take a rook with a first rounder. Too big of a gamble when we have so many holes to fill. FA will not yield anyone either I'm afraid. Resign Cousins for a workable contract only.

RB: Need a back with vision. High draft pick here. 1st or 2nd round. Time to quit screwing around.

WR: We need a number one. Could go to the draft for depth but have to get someone capable out of FA. Throw some money at the position. Its sorely needed.

TE: Would cut or trade Reed but the contract prevents it. So for another year we are stuck with this group. Don't see any improvement here for another year.

OL: I let Long go or resign as a back up. Roullier has outplayed him and it did not take long to see it. Possible guard could work too but I would take the chance to fill with a nice FA.

DL: McGee has been steady enough. Good rotation piece. Allen was about to explode. The other FA in McClain has under performed and must be replaced along with the woefully ineffective Hood. Replace with 1st or 2nd rounder. The good teams build in the trenches. You see it over and over again.

OLB: I like this group. Roll with it another year. DLine gets better so will this groups sack totals.

MLB: We are screwed here still. Brown is alright. Some think he is amazing and I think he is above average. Resign for sure though. The rest....yikes. Foster has never impressed. Compton? Don't make me laugh. I don't know where to go with this really. I'm hoping addressing the Dline more will help the position. Vigil can get better I believe.

CB: Breeland can go. The only spot we are fine with. We have depth. Top tier number 1. Emerging Fuller. Dunbar solid as well. Good looking youth. I love what we have here. 

S: I like Swearinger. Thought it would be the steal of FA for us last year. Has been slightly above average. Could use more depth here for sure. Nicholson needs to stay healthy.

18 hours ago, KDawg said:

That's a seriously big IF because who knows if Cousins is coming back.  

We NEED a RB that scares people enough that they have to worry about the running game.  Perine doesn't seem to have that burst or top-end speed.  He's fine (right now) as a guy on the roster, but if you want to take that next step, you need somebody with more physical skills.  CT is a lock, good dude. 

We need a #1 and a #2 WR.  Doctson can be that guy we can see if he develops, but he's not somebody you can count on going into year 3 being this inconsistent.  Grant could be re-signed ONLY IF he is the 4th or 5th receiver and competing for a roster spot in camp.  If the idea is that he's a starter, that's a bad, bad plan.  And we have a year of evidence of how bad a plan it is.  

Regarding Crowder, he needs to ONLY play in the slot, not be asked to play outside, and not be asked to return punts.  And he'd be really good at that. 

I am advocating moving on from Davis because he's such a liability in the run game, and avoids any type of contact.  He's currently #1 on my **** list and I'd cut him today if I could, and yes, I know the hole that opens up.  I would also try and trade Reed, and if not succesful, I'd cut him also for availability issues.  Then I'd make TE a priority in the off season.  

Sprinkle is fine as a blocking TE.  

They would have to bring back Long, he's a FA. Not sure about Nsekhe. 

This is tough, because I think the OL (when healthy) is ok.  And Long is an ok center, so is Roullier.  But neither are terribly physical, and that stalls the run game.

There are 3 locks: Williams, Sherff and Moses.  Nsekhe is a good swing backup tackle.  I don't think he could play guard.  I would personally look at a new C and Guard that are bigger and more physical.  

Hood is JAG, and if he's taking meaningful snaps, it means we haven't improved up front.  Need 1-2 more IMPACT DL.  Not JAGs.  IMPACT players at both DT and DE.  

Personally, I wouldn't re-sign Gallette.  The other three are under contract.  It would be nice to get a real speed guy, like they thought they were getting in Gallette but it hasn't panned out.  

Brown and Foster are both FAs.  I doubt both come back, it's possible neither do.  This is a HUGE area of concern for me.  Just because we have, you know, nobody on the roster.  

This is predicated on re-signing Breeland.  Not sure if they have the money to do that and fill other holes.  I like Bree, hope he stays, but he may be the guy they can't afford to keep.  I like the secondary as a hole, though, assuming they could get any pass rush, they would look better.  

They need another guy or two here, but if Nicholson can stay healthy, he's going to be a good player.  

After QB, I prioritize this way:

1. ILB,because you have none and you need somebody.  If you don't get that done, any possible progress on defense is wiped out.  

2. WR because you need 2 starters.

3. TE** This won't be an issue for them because they will keep Reed/Davis/Sprinkle and continue to suck running the ball.  See: we need a GM.

4. DL. Need IMPACT players on the DL.  

5. RB.  Need a more physically gifted, game-changing type of back.  

6. C/G. Bigger, more physical players

7. OLB. We have good ones, we need a more impactful one.  I bet they re-sign Murphy and call it a day.  This would be a mistake.  

Honestly, a GM worth their salt could pull this off in an off-season.  This is not like after the 2009 season when you really needed something like 8 players on offense and 10 on defense.  There is talent here.  There is more than enough talent to win games.  

What is missing are IMPACT players at key positions, such as pass-rushing DL/OLB, WR and RB.  We have some good, but if you want to contend for anything, you need a few A+ players as well.  

I can't see us eating 9mil dead cap on Norman.

If he's happy to stay and doesn't try to force a move I think the FO will restructure his deal, add an extra option year on the end, convert some salary to bonus and in the process free up 3 or 4mil in cap space in 2018. That's my guess.

16 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Think I’d add Francis to the DL list.  Not as a starter (yet) but as depth.  

Also looking forward to seeing Kalis with a year under his belt (in the strength and conditioning program and with Callahan).  Similar to Francis, I think he could maybe start, but depth is more likely.  

I like Spaight as a depth player.  He could maybe fill/earn a starting role, but I’d feel a lot better with him backing up Brown and Foster.  I believe JHC could be a good fit as a dimebacker.  Glad he got some PT to (hopefully) help his development.  

And, just because I feel like it needs to be mentioned, how about Lanier with 5 sacks in 9 games played?  Maybe Doug Williams was on to something. :)

But almost half of those sacks came against an ousted team with Blaine Gabbert at the helm.  Maybe he’s a situational guy but I just don’t see it with Lanier

Agreed on Spaight, JHC and Francis

Kalis was a 5 Star recruit out of HS but he’s never been able to put it together.  Word on the UM message boards was he’s a bit of a meathead and can’t comprehend basic schemes.  Even Harbaugh’s staff couldn’t get him right.  

Oddly enough, I'm worried Nick Rose doesnt make it to TC to compete with Dustin Hopkins. Statisically, there's not much difference, but I really liked Rose. And I noticed Hopkins kickoffs were coming up short yesterday.

Hopkins is 5-13 from 50+.  Rose hasnt had but one opportunity ever, but my gut feeling is he can be 50% or better.  

2 hours ago, fordranger76 said:

RB: Need a back with vision. High draft pick here. 1st or 2nd round. Time to quit screwing around.

The frustrating thing is those backs are out there in the middle rounds with vision and versatility, we just pick other backs.  Kamara, Hunt, Jamal Williams this past year in the 3rd and 4th rd.  Kenyan Drake in the 3rd, Jordan Howard and Alex Collins in the 5th in 2016, Tevin Coleman, Duke Johnson, David Johnson in the 3rd in 2015.  Not to say we could have drafted these players, but just to illustrate backs are available better than what we trot out.

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

The frustrating thing is those backs are out there in the middle rounds with vision and versatility, we just pick other backs.  Kamara, Hunt, Jamal Williams this past year in the 3rd and 4th rd.  Kenyan Drake in the 3rd, Jordan Howard and Alex Collins in the 5th in 2016, Tevin Coleman, Duke Johnson, David Johnson in the 3rd in 2015.  Not to say we could have drafted these players, but just to illustrate backs are available better than what we trot out.

Or maybe our run blocking just sucks.  In particular, TEs that can’t hold contain.  I don’t know enough to comment much on Lauvao, Long and Moses, but my hunch is they are lacking in this department.  The latter two seem better on the move and Lauvao struggles getting a good base under him.  

I’m not saying our backs are special, but there’s a reason Kelley lead the league in tackles broken behind the LOS and Perine is often bottled up at the LOS.  

@FFODCI hear you on Lanier.  I’m far from ready to say we’ve got something there, but given his lack of snaps, 5 sacks is pretty darn good from a rotational dlineman.  3 PDs yesterday was pretty impressive as well.  Sure, it was against Gabbert... but none of the other linemen did much of note, right?

Bummed to hear that about Kalis... :(

• 1 month later...

Thought it was worth revisiting this subject.  As it touches on both FA and the draft, I didn't want to clutter either thread.  

This is probably going to come across as wildly optimistic to some, but I'm happy to make the argument for each unit.  I tried to balance things like our starting RB vs 3rd down back, our TE's receiving vs blocking, and our dline in nickel vs base D. 

This is based on Kirk returning of course, even if it probably shouldn't be...

QB:  A-

RB: B-/C+

TE:  B

WR:  C-/D+

Slot receiver:  B+

Oline:  B+

Dline: B

OLB:  A-

ILB: C+

Corner:  B+

S:  B/B-

I used the "/ "when I was a bit less sure about the grade.  Think of it as a range.  

I factored in health, but only to an extent.  Reed is the obvious one (essentially, I'm supposing he plays about 12 games), but guy's like Nicholson, Thompson, and Williams' often nagging injuries make it tough.  

I'll have a go.

QB B/B+ (With Cousins) D+/C- (without Cousins)

RB D+/C- Unless Perrine makes a huge sophomore jump or we see a huge improvement in run blocking

WR C+ I think Crowder is a good slot man. I want to believe in Doctson, but we're still talking more about potential than production

OL B (dependent on how we come back from injuries and what we do to replace the hole at guard)

TE B+ (Big question is Reed and his availability, but I think Davis and Sprinkle are pretty good themselves)

DL C (Depends on how players recover from injury, but I expect both Matt and Josh to improve)

ILB Who the heck knows (Depends on if we re-sign Brown, injury recovery, etc.)

OLB B+

CB B+/A- Even with the probable loss of Breeland I think this group is deep and good.

S C (Again, injuries and how rooks improve)

K C

P B

4 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

So to sum up what @Burgold just said our roster if one huge ****ing IF.

Wish we could could have some certainty on it.

Pretty much.

It's a conditional roster. I think if everyone comes back healthy (and comes back) we have a B/B- type of time. Maybe we are good enough to earn a playoff spot and win one game. However, if we don't get that perfectly... I think we are a 6-8 win team (with or without Cousins)

It doesn't help that I probably grade our coaching staff at C/C+. I don't think we get any wins by out chess-ing our opponent. 

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

I'll have a go.

QB B/B+ (With Cousins) D+/C- (without Cousins)

RB D+/C- Unless Perrine makes a huge sophomore jump or we see a huge improvement in run blocking

WR C+ I think Crowder is a good slot man. I want to believe in Doctson, but we're still talking more about potential than production

OL B (dependent on how we come back from injuries and what we do to replace the hole at guard)

TE B+ (Big question is Reed and his availability, but I think Davis and Sprinkle are pretty good themselves)

DL C (Depends on how players recover from injury, but I expect both Matt and Josh to improve)

ILB Who the heck knows (Depends on if we re-sign Brown, injury recovery, etc.)

OLB B+

CB B+/A- Even with the probable loss of Breeland I think this group is deep and good.

S C (Again, injuries and how rooks improve)

K C

P B

I would agree with grade on Perine, but I bumped up the rb grade a bit because of Thompson.  I think he’s an A/A- in his role.  

Dline I have higher because of our nickel package.  Allen and Io at DT are an A-/B+ for me, factor in our OLBs as DEs keeps the grade the same.  Our 3-4 is a C- IMO... but we’re in nickel far more.  

ILB I’m putting Foster and Vigil as the starters for now.  Thought they both played well.  

I thought Nicholson showed really well as a rook.  I think he and Swearinger are both in the B range (injury concerns for Nicholson aside).  

QB: A- (with Cousins) C without
RB: C+

WR: C+
TE: C+
OL: B+

DL: B+
ILB: C+

EDGE: B
CB: A-
S: C+

QB is self-explanatory. There's potential at RB with Thompson and Perine but we need a stud. Hopefully in the draft. I'm still optimistic on Doctson, but hope we are able to land a young stud in FA (we don't have any high-priced WR and can afford 1). Crowder, Harris, Davis, Grant, etc. are all good depth, but need a #1 bad. OL we need an upgrade at LG, and some depth as we were anhialated by injuries. But LT, C, RG and RT seem pretty set. TE is all dependent on Reed, but I do think Sprinkle has some potential to develop into a rounded TE. Maybe need to target a pass-catching TE later to develop ... maybe that HBack from Oklahoma. 

On defense, I actually think Allen & Ionaidis make the unit. I like Lanier as a rotational guy, and McGee and McClain are okay depth. I think adding an early-round NT or a guy in FA to play that roll could make it a very good unit. ILB is pretty decent, if we bring back Zach Brown at least. Vigil and Foster are good but not great. Id love to upgrade and get a stud in the draft to run our defense. CB has good depth thanks to adding Fuller and Moreau in the mid-rounds off injuries. Dunbar solid. Maybe we bring in a veteran to replace Bree ... wonder if we kick the tires on Kendall's bro Kyle who's a bust and can't stay healthy, but on a cheap deal? Or a 4th-6th rounder for depth. Safety is the one area I think is wishy-washy. I liked what we saw from Nicholson when he was healthy, and Swearinger has been a nice addition. But if we have a chance to add Fitzpatrick or Derwin James in the 1st to solidify FS for years to come, I'd take it.

Assuming you bring back Zach Brown ... if you're able to get a FS in the 1st or through FA who can start and rotate with Nicholson ... and you get back everyone healthy ... I do think you have a very good secondary, a very good DL, and the potential for a deep EDGE position. Offense is where you have the most ?, and it's around QB and the playmakers. Shocker. 

If we bring back Cousins (obviously a massive if) I ask the question: how do you make this team instantly better, besides just being healthy? I think we could have been 9-7 or 10-6 last year without so many damn injuries. So naturally there's a lot of promise from developing some of these guys and getting others back healthy. But if you ask me how we can change this team for the better, I say it's:

Free Agency: Get an impact WR ... give me Paul Richardson to stretch the field, but ideally give me Allen Robinson 
Draft: Get an impact defender in the 1st ... I think you'll have a shot at Vea, Edmunds, Roquan Smith or Derwin James. Any of those players can and will upgrade/solidify a unit on the defense. Then in the 2nd, get the #1 RB on the board ... hopefully there isn't a run on players before we pick, though that's likely. Then get the best OG you can get your hands on in the 3rd. 

You add a #1 WR for Cousins (or at least a field-stretcher with Richardson) ... you make the offense dynamic by adding a top-end RB ... and you solidify the OL with some depth inside. On defense, you add a playmaker to an already young and high-upside defense. Anything else you can get for the defense after the 3rd and through some smart FA signings, great ... but adding a dynamic player up the middle in the draft (DL-ILB-FS) in the 1st round will really help the defense take that next step. 

4 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I would agree with grade on Perine, but I bumped up the rb grade a bit because of Thompson.  I think he’s an A/A- in his role.  

Dline I have higher because of our nickel package.  Allen and Io at DT are an A-/B+ for me, factor in our OLBs as DEs keeps the grade the same.  Our 3-4 is a C- IMO... but we’re in nickel far more.  

ILB I’m putting Foster and Vigil as the starters for now.  Thought they both played well.  

I thought Nicholson showed really well as a rook.  I think he and Swearinger are both in the B range (injury concerns for Nicholson aside).  

I thought Nicholson showed well too and the defense really felt his absence. Though it's hard to tell how much was him vs Allen, vs. Foster, etc.

I kind of wanted to put higher defensive grades too, but then I thought... "How can I have all these high defensive grades when the defense was never great. I think the defense at the beginning of the year was pretty good, but it wasn't like we thought we had an all star D. So, I erred on the side of "Ya still got to prove it to me."

I can see the Thompson argument, but I think I'd slide him down to B+ just because as great as he was... he kept getting run down. I think if you are an A that no one catches you. Mind you, I think he was a shoe-in Pro Bowler so I don't have a problem with your A/A- either.

9 hours ago, Burgold said:

I thought Nicholson showed well too and the defense really felt his absence. Though it's hard to tell how much was him vs Allen, vs. Foster, etc.

I kind of wanted to put higher defensive grades too, but then I thought... "How can I have all these high defensive grades when the defense was never great. I think the defense at the beginning of the year was pretty good, but it wasn't like we thought we had an all star D. So, I erred on the side of "Ya still got to prove it to me."

I can see the Thompson argument, but I think I'd slide him down to B+ just because as great as he was... he kept getting run down. I think if you are an A that no one catches you. Mind you, I think he was a shoe-in Pro Bowler so I don't have a problem with your A/A- either.

Agreed, it’s weird to see these rankings and compare that to our overall showing.  On the flip side, it’s also why I like our chances of (after adding a run defender in the draft) taking a big step forward next year.  At least I did until we lost Fuller.

I think the D sucked for a few reasons.  One was injuries.  D didn’t get hit as hard as the O did, but it still affected us greatly, IMO.  Losing Allen/Foster/Nicholson, and then Ioannidas missing time and playing hurt.  

We also weren’t able to stop the run.  I think that’s also down to losing Allen, but we lacked a NT (and good DEs) to stop the run in our base D.  

We couldn’t stop the TEs.  

Our scheme - I like Manusky, but I think you’re right that he might not be much of a chess player.  Still like our coaches though, particularly the positional ones.  

Archived