Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am with you on Trent but you got there first.  I wanted to keep Kirk but if I knew they'd give him away for basically nothing I'd have gone as crazy about trading him then -- than i am not on the Trent thread.   I am with you on Alex -- I had to be at least one of the top 3 loudest critics of the deal on the board and slammed the idea even before it happened.

I do got you beat on Kamara.  I actually took him on the board's draft that year.  😁  But I did like the Doctson pick and Richardson FA signing.  I might be wrong about Daniel Jones, too :(  I am nailing though so far a lot of my draft man crushes this year at least so far.   As Parcells likesd to say if you are batting 500 in personnel -- then you are doing good. 😁

What matters is being willing to put your opinion out there, to be scrutinized, and being able to accept or refute those criticisms rationally. People should search for things they’re missing in the eyes of those they respect, we’re all shaped by biases we’re too biased to recognize on our own. Humility with the confidence to stand on your own against Everybody when you truly believe in something.... it’s a difficult balance, everything comes in to play when you risk standing alone .. it’s against our nature, we all have an innate need to balance within & around ourselves. If someone we like is acting too arrogantly, even though it rationally doesn’t matter, human nature is to criticize that arrogance. If someone we don’t like, is feeling down, our nature is typically to lift them... it’s about accompanying ourselves, we all want to bring others up to our level or down where we’re at... we’re perfectly flawed outer space creatures. When you stand on something, and you’re getting drilled by people who think you’re wrong... people you respect who have shown you they know what they’re talking about... it’s tough not to concede a bit of yourself... it’s a big risk, you’ll think you’re out there forever if you miss, forgetting that all of those people you trust, trust you, and have been wrong a million times too. 

I could be the gm of a team, surrounded by 20 people I trusted, and end up taking zero guys I really wanted, that could be seen as humble or weak, but all that actually matters is gaining from the day & applying it to the next starting point. What an existence it is, to get to apply the knowledge and experiences of so many people into our own lives. 

What a tangent that turned into.

78EFD2E1-6833-48D9-9C71-57B79286B0BA.gif

21 hours ago, volsmet said:

I could be the gm of a team, surrounded by 20 people I trusted, and end up taking zero guys I really wanted, that could be seen as humble or weak, but all that actually matters is gaining from the day & applying it to the next starting point. What an existence it is, to get to apply the knowledge and experiences of so many people into our own lives. 

I don't know if this is totally relevant to your post, but it made me think of one of my favorite quotes that's stuck with me. It's from The old Aaron Sorkin show SportsNite. Robert Guillaume's character at one point was talking about leadership and he said "If I've learned one thing it's this- if you're dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you."

I think of that in lots of contest. In terms of sports, I think that applies to organizations pretty obviously. As a Red Sox fan, I can tell you they broke the curse and turned into the best organization in baseball under Theo Epstein, a young genius (in sports terms) who brought in a lot of really bright guys and insisted that they challenge him and argue for their beliefs. 

I don't believe Bruce is very smart, football-wise. And I don't believe he countenances any dissension. That is the worst of all worlds.

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

What matters is being willing to put your opinion out there, to be scrutinized, and being able to accept or refute those criticisms rationally. People should search for things they’re missing in the eyes of those they respect, we’re all shaped by biases we’re too biased to recognize on our own.

Agree, it's tough for anyone to spot their own biases.  It's why for example lawyers don't represent themselves in court but hire another lawyer.    I shared with others years ago about when I won an auction where I had lunch with Scot McCloughan.  And it was super cool.  Like or not like the dude's work, it was fun to just pick his brain and ask him about how he operated. 

I threw at the time some players at him, like Jonathan Allen (ironically), Dalvin Cook and others and he had a Rain Man level take about all of them and that was 6 months before that year's draft.  Scot told me about how much he respected Jay as an evaluator and he and him can go back and forth and really get heated with each other but then they'd back off and listen and find common ground or one would change their mind.  He told me about how Jay wasn't with him on Crowder and how he talked him into it.  But also said that he trusted Jay's take and thought highly of his opinion.  Scot was a cool dude, I was shocked how honest he was.  But naturally I loved it.

Yeah its fun to take stances on players -- college and FA.  Especially if you do real work on those players.  It's part of the reason why I feel so vested in McLaurin and to a lesser extent Harmon.  Ditto Guice and B. Love among the players we recently drafted.   You do your player takes as good or better than anyone here and I take all your assessments seriously and agree with them most of the time.  😀 And you are willing to stick your neck out.  I recall being so shaken by them skipping over Derwin James that it was tough for me to dig Daron Payne.  But you pointed out game by game-frame by frame why he'd be a good player.  And you convinced me and I said so at the time.

One thing I've learned to do in the last 2 years is to ignore the highlight reel and just watch the actual games.  And try to watch at least 5.  I justified being lazy and watching highlights in the past -- by riding on a point Shanny once made which is he likes to watch a players best plays and then believe he can get that out of said player more consistently. That may work for Shanny but it didn't work for me.  That's how I evaluated Doctson and i paid no attention to his personality-intangibles. 

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

it’s a difficult balance, everything comes in to play when you risk standing alone ...When you stand on something, and you’re getting drilled by people who think you’re wrong... people you respect who have shown you they know what they’re talking about... it’s tough not to concede a bit of yourself... it’s a big risk, you’ll think you’re out there forever if you miss, forgetting that all of those people you trust, trust you, and have been wrong a million times too. 

That's true.  Another reason why McLaurin (if he turns out a stud) might turn into my favorite all time prospect thus far.  It's because some people I respect didn't think much of him as a player.  They have been right on other things where I've been wrong.   So that's not a dig at anyone.  It all evens out.  But the ones where you are standing alone or close enough are tough as you say if you end up wrong.  And McLaurin was far from my favorite receiver but I liked him and got into some heated debates about him on the game day draft threads.  

And you and others have your own version of the same thing.  And I've gotten plenty wrong -- most of which I've probably forgotten about, much easier to recall the ones that I got right.  😀  

36 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I don't believe Bruce is very smart, football-wise. And I don't believe he countenances any dissension. That is the worst of all worlds.

Among other things, the one thing that really gets me is when beat reporters say Dan and Bruce get along so well is because they see eye to eye on so much.    Dan obviously likes to have his 2nd in command to be someone who either sees things his way or close enough.  That point has been echoed in some of the exposes on Dan's tenure.  People who have worked there talked about how Dan doesn't like dissension.  

One thing that I've heard from others in some of these discussions is that Bruce should get a pass for the Shanny years and should be judged for all that happened after.  OK.  But playing with that same thought, it was Shanny who focused on the draft and stop overspending in FA.  That approach was started by him not Bruce.  Shanny ironically was the dude who would fleece Vinny for draft picks in trades before he got here,

My point is I don't really think Bruce has reshaped Dan on much.  They still have the same rotten culture IMO.  You still got the nasty leaks to the press about people who depart.  They still make too many bad decision in pro personnel.  They still make stupid trades.      Main difference really is just Kyle Smith >>>> Scott Campbell.  And their FA mistakes while still are plentiful aren't as catastrophic. 

But drafting a QB that the coach didn't think fits his system isn't naturally creating a negative situation for that coach to have to overcome?

And that type of situation follows trading for a QB the coach also didn't want.

After not signing the one he probably preferred.

After forcing him to start one his first season that couldn't read a defense or protect himself, couldn't even slide.

10 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

But drafting a QB that the coach didn't think fits his system isn't naturally creating a negative situation for that coach to have to overcome?

And that type of situation follows trading for a QB the coach also didn't want.

After not signing the one he probably preferred.

After forcing him to start one his first season that couldn't read a defense or protect himself, couldn't even slide.

Dan's bread and butter over the years has been the QB position.  That's where we often have seen his finger prints.  When has that gone right?  :(

The sad thing about this narrative is just about every angle of this pro or con (and its become a national story now) is hurtful to Haskins.   

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Riddick won't quit on this.    I said early today am back and forth on Riddick but count me feeling more negative about him now.  

Staying on topic with my previous post, if Dan ends up Riddick it would be telling.   Feels like another soap opera in the offing.   

Could very well be the case that Riddick was one of the voices that led to Snyder wanting to draft Haskins. Riddick's response to everything going on with this QB situation just seems too personal.

13 hours ago, volsmet said:

@Skinsinparadise @volsmet

What a ****ing convo this was. Hot damn.

We all have our wacky takes. I still like the Alex Smith trade. And I still think Alex Smith was an absolute stud for us despite how boring he was and the numbers that he put up. I'll fall in battle on that hill... But I'll be damned if I ever admit that we should have been trying to win now in the first place.

My player that I really liked this year was Polite. Yup. That turned out well.

I was luke warm on Haskins. Like a lot of you. A lot of potential, footwork was off, could tell he needed work on coverage, needed to refine his game. 

Never liked Jones (and I still don't. He has turned the ball over WAY too much so far. And the one thing that seems to stick with a player is their penchant for turnovers).

Murray intrigued me due to the extremely high ceiling.

But I wasn't in love with any of these quarterbacks. I'm not sure I really love any of the QBs in this class, either. Even Tua. I like him. I see the hype. But there's something about him that I haven't quite put my finger on that gives me pause. My concerns for Lawrence are also playing out. I'm of the mind that a lot of these great QB prospects are being built up because of their physical presence, their pre-college hype level and their ability to wow people. Meanwhile, guys like Gardner Minshew (who to be fair, we're not sure about yet and need more time with) slip through the cracks because they didn't have those things. I think in order to be a good evaluator you have to find a way to completely block out the hype and simply grade a player on their play and their teams' play. 

Yes, a guy can be a total stud and his team around him stinks. But you know what I've noticed from the best QBs that have played the game? They tend to elevate the talent around them. Their confidence is contagious. That doesn't mean your team wins a national title, or that they are even in the picture. But did the team exceed expectations? Look to their leaders. See who helped guide them there. Did a team fall way below expectations? Look to their leaders.

A good prospect obviously has to have physical tools. They just do. You can't survive being inspirational only in the NFL. But there are some things that can't be taught. I am pretty high on Jalen Hurts right now based on the things he's doing. But let me tell ya, part of me wonders (after Baker and Murray) just how much Lincoln Riley has to do with their success. I think we'll find out next year when Spencer Rattler is taking snaps for them.

This probably belongs in the Draft Thread, but damnit if this convo didn't spark my interest.

To tie it back to Haskins - I'm not sure he was the reason that Ohio State team did what it did. Sure, he had great stats, and sure, he displayed a metric **** ton of potential. But now that we are seeing a guy like McLaurin up close and personal, are we sure that it wasn't him (and others) that were the true leaders? I'm not dissing Haskins. I think he is the epitome of what a project guy is in the NFL. His issue is going to be with a regime change (shoud the Skins actually change regimes) he becomes expendable. 

To tie it back to Allen - I'm not sure he knows what he's looking at. Or even why he's looking at it. But my fear is that he saw Haskins as a project, too. And that when he and Snyder drafted him, they decided that they were going to mandate a new coach has to roll with him moving forward. 

The Haskins pick, to me, was unsettling because if they thought they may be moving on from Gruden you have to draft a much more pro ready quarterback that can contribute on day one. You don't draft a developmental guy under a lame duck regime. So the fear is that they are going to saddle a new HC with Haskins (whether he likes it or not, and maybe they do and it turns out great... but the fact that they are forcing them is a glaring reason this team has issues) and/or it means Bruce Allen isn't going anywhere for a long, long time.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

The Haskins pick, to me, was unsettling because if they thought they may be moving on from Gruden you have to draft a much more pro ready quarterback that can contribute on day one. You don't draft a developmental guy under a lame duck regime. So the fear is that they are going to saddle a new HC with Haskins (whether he likes it or not, and maybe they do and it turns out great... but the fact that they are forcing them is a glaring reason this team has issues) and/or it means Bruce Allen isn't going anywhere for a long, long time.

The Haskins thing right now feels a bit messy.  I don't have the energy to restate how I pieced it together but listening to different segments including from Riddick himself on NFL Live before the draft -- its not hard to connect the likely dots on it.  I could be wrong but it does connect neatly really with every media report just about.

A.  Dan had the initial man crush on Haskins or someone he knows got him enamored

B.  Bruce was then on board.  I think Doug, too.

C.  Kyle and some of this scouts weren't as enamored -- they liked but not loved him and graded him as a 2nd rounder

D.  Jay then got to evaluating Haskins and felt the same way

E.  Jay-Kyle wanted someone else, preferably a pass rusher at 15.  If pressed to go QB they wanted one who was more pro ready especially Jay in a win now season

F.  Dan's man crush was intense (Haskins was the only interview he sat in on in the combine) and talked about trading up if need be.

G. Jay-Kyle and company went nuts about the idea of trading up (hence some tension as Sheehan, Paulsen in particular spelled out) because the team had so many needs and couldn't afford to do that.  Kyle assured Dan that Haskins could be there at their pick without trading up.

H.  Dan backed off and compromised and said he won't trade up but they are taking Haskins if he is there at 15

I. Bruce who typically gets along with both Dan and Jay -- saved the day and cut the tension by trading up for one of the pass rushers that both Jay-Kyle liked and everyone got what they want

J.  Jay is a good guy and was cool with developing Haskins.  He and has staff saw him just as raw as they thought he looked on tape.  But really dug the person-intangibles and believe he needs time and can develop into a good QB.

K.  Jay had no bitterness about it - everyone got what they want, including him.  So yeah maybe a soap opera leading up to it, but it had a smooth landing

It might not be exactly this but there is a lot of smoke that its a variation of something like this.  and all the reporters including Riddick who covered part of the narrative back then are now bringing it all back because they question everyone's motives about Haskins now that there are questions of whether he's being handled the right way.  They seem focused on the lead in to the compromise. 

If Dan infused himself with this (which EVERY reporter) has said was the case -- it's a problem even with the smooth landing because of the type of narratives we got now IMO.   And he can't seem to help himself with QB's.  It's the position for whatever reason he thinks he knows even though he's been a colossal failure at it.  I gather Dan thinks its not all him because some say a person or two in the FO agrees with him (am pretty sure that person isn't Kyle) and I think its Doug (based on what Riddick hinted before the draft) and Bruce. 

Now with all this crazy noise.  We got all these negative stories both about whether Haskins was worth the #15 pick and whether Jay is handling Haskins right and is purposely sabotaging Haskins.  IMO it's not healthy for Haskins.    He now reading stories that in some cases trashes his ability and in the positive stories about him including a narrative that his coach doesn't want him.  It's a lose, lose for him.

Personally, I think these stories are over the top.  Because as much as I've heard the story I posted above, I always heard plenty of times that Jay is cool with Haskins being here and likes the dude.  I think he's handling Haskins the way he genuinely sees fit and isn't sabotaging him at all.  But this is the crap that happens when there is a disconnect with the owner IMO and he involves himself.  I caught up with a bunch of segments this morning on the topic and in one of them Russini harps on Jay didn't want to draft Haskins -- then Jack Del Rio goes he's never heard of an NFL franchise draft a QB that their head coach didn't want. 

I guarantee Jay likes Haskins. If it's true he had him graded as a second rounder then you don't dislike a guy that you had as a second round talent. 

But yeah. Haskins is quickly becoming damaged Redskins goods. I think he can succeed in the league given developmental time, but the longer this ****show goes on the more damage that gets done to him here.

Don't like anything about this Haskins stuff, and unfortunately, none of the reasons I am not liking the Haskins pick have anything to do with Dwayne Haskins. 

-Project guy - taken early on potential

-Drafted to a team with a lame duck regime

-Looks like the FO would saddle a new HC with him

-Stories about how Jay "didn't like him" despite the fact that it seems apparent he just didn't have him as a first rounder due to developmental curve

-Only started one year and was able to complete short passes for TDs and didn't need to scrutinize game film for coverages

-Mechanically needs to develop (but by all accounts has the ability and skillset to do just that).

Sucks for him, really, to be put in the situation he's in. I still want him to succeed. Here or elsewhere. But man does it look bleak for here.

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I guarantee Jay likes Haskins. If it's true he had him graded as a second rounder then you don't dislike a guy that you had as a second round talent. 

But yeah. Haskins is quickly becoming damaged Redskins goods. I think he can succeed in the league given developmental time, but the longer this ****show goes on the more damage that gets done to him here.

Don't like anything about this Haskins stuff, and unfortunately, none of the reasons I am not liking the Haskins pick have anything to do with Dwayne Haskins. 

-Stories about how Jay "didn't like him" despite the fact that it seems apparent he just didn't have him as a first rounder due to developmental curve

-Only started one year and was able to complete short passes for TDs and didn't need to scrutinize game film for coverages

-Mechanically needs to develop (but by all accounts has the ability and skillset to do just that).

Sucks for him, really, to be put in the situation he's in. I still want him to succeed. Here or elsewhere. But man does it look bleak for here.

Cmon.  You can't really make an  evaluation after just one game when he was thrown into the fire with little to no preparation & basically with backups at just about every position.  Give it time - perhaps he will look better or maybe even worse.  You just can't tell till at least the end of this season.

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I flat out say Jay was OK with it in the end or at least it was reported that way.  But the story painted about that was because it was a compromise.  It was plan A versus plan B.  And they settled on plan C where everyone got what they want.  Or at least that's the story painted by some at the time.   My point was the soap opera element of the story centers on Dan's supposed involvement with it.    And these type of stories in varied form have been a hallmark of his tenure.

The rest here isn't directed at you.  I am not a fan of messing with the HC regardless of how I feel about them.   I was one of the RG3 defenders in the summer of 2014 but when Jay decided Kirk was the guy, I got behind that.  Why?  Because IMO the coach should make that call.  And I wasn't a Jay guy then to say the least.  Yet, it didn't matter to me.  The structure-order of the operation is more important to me than what I actually think of the decision.  I was one of Zorn's loudest critics.  I couldn't wait for him to be canned.  Yet, I thought how Dan (Vinny-Bruce) and how it all went down was un-classy and ugly at the end.  And I ripped them for it.  

With all the posts I made slamming Zorn at the time, you'd think I'd be deliriously happy with humiliating the guy but I wasn't.  I like the organization to run smoothly and with class.  The Haskins drill is apples to oranges to what I described about Zorn.  But what it has in common it we got a coach in an uncomfortable situation  potentially with stories circulating about him not wanting a player who he has in house.  Heck that was one of Riddick's main points in his segments which of corse Haskins knows that Jay doesn't want him.  You almost have to fire Jay now don't you if Haskins thinks Jay didn't want him?  So hopefully Riddick is wrong.  I think Jay is dead man walking so I am not even talking from Jay's perspective but from Haskins' point of view. 

I know so many want Jay gone so don't care.  But my point isn't about Jay though -- it could be about any coach here.  We've had drama with all of them.  It's part of the reason why i am not in the mode of getting excited about the next white in shinning armor coming to the rescue.   And look I get every decision like this in a vacuum might not come off to everyone as destructive but even so -- there are just too many things like this that pile on.   Most of the stories come out after the coach leaves.  And yeah I get some are skeptical about those stories because by that time the departing coach is the bad guy-the scapegoat so rallying around any story about what they went through creates some cognitive dissonance.  And I get the feeling.  It was tough for me to rally around some of Shanny's stories when he left because I didn't like him by the time he was gone.  But eventually they started to seep in.  

And bringing this back, I think in the end Jay was OK with Haskins even though the reports are likely correct that Jay didn't want him at 15.    But Dan could have avoided all this mess.  For starters if he was dying for Haskins while having a coach in a win or else season and sensed resistance from Jay on that front -- then either fire Jay or assure him that he's back as long as he feels that Haskins is properly developed.  Or, just stay out of it period and let his football people figure it out.  Dan may have the best intentions here -- and Jay, ditto.  Yet, you have a soap opera backdrop, regardless.  We can blame the media but this type of narrative isn't a backdrop right now with any of the other young QBs. 

Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 6.01.17 PM.png

9 minutes ago, dicksogj said:

Cmon.  You can't really make an  evaluation after just one game when he was thrown into the fire with little to no preparation & basically with backups at just about every position.  Give it time - perhaps he will look better or maybe even worse.  You just can't tell till at least the end of this season.

Out of curiosity, what evaluation do you think I'm making?

@KDawg something you mentioned about the Haskins pick provides yet another example of how disjointedly (is that a word) this team seems to operate...

Our levels aren't in alignment and aren't following a single blueprint. It doesn't mean that we can't occasionally make decent decisions about a player or coach, but it also minimizes the likelihood that we'll stack several good decisions together. 

The front office is waffling on the head coach yet they draft a project QB in the first round. As you mentioned, there isn't a lot of logic to that. And it's emblematic of the way things have been going. We might sign or draft a great cover corner (front office decision) but then stick the secondary in zone (coaching decision). We might draft a huge, hulking guard (front office decision) but implement a ZBS in our running game (coaching decision). 

Anyway, sorry to go off on a tangent but I think that's one of our largest issues!

5 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

@KDawg something you mentioned about the Haskins pick provides yet another example of how disjointedly (is that a word) this team seems to operate...

Our levels aren't in alignment and aren't following a single blueprint. It doesn't mean that we can't occasionally make decent decisions about a player or coach, but it also minimizes the likelihood that we'll stack several good decisions together. 

The front office is waffling on the head coach yet they draft a project QB in the first round. As you mentioned, there isn't a lot of logic to that. And it's emblematic of the way things have been going. We might sign or draft a great cover corner (front office decision) but then stick the secondary in zone (coaching decision). We might draft a huge, hulking guard (front office decision) but implement a ZBS in our running game (coaching decision). 

Anyway, sorry to go off on a tangent but I think that's one of our largest issues!

You put the point better than I did.  The way they operated on Haskins exposes the disjointed way of how they make decisions and its not based on a single blue print.

Mike Lombardi made this point well saying name one sports organization that thrives on making decisions by committee.   When it happens that way, everyone gets their own slice at different times but when you put it all together its not smooth.  You need one overarching vision and people under that person working to make that happen.

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

This is the biggest problem in the organization. 

Its not Dwayne Haskins. It’s not Alex Smith. It’s not Josh Norman. It’s that our structure is broken and contradicts everything about the other aspects of the team. 

Until that is fixed I don’t care who is brought in. It won’t matter. 

2 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

Meanwhile in Baltimore, Ozzie Newsome's last move before retiring was to draft Lamar Jackson. Then walked out the door handing over the reigns to Eric Decosta who has worked under him for a decade. THAT is how you do it.

Oh and the HC was still going to be there most likely. So he drafted a guy that fit what the HC/new GM would like and moved forward.

It's a beautiful thing, isn't it?

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Oh and the HC was still going to be there most likely. So he drafted a guy that fit what the HC/new GM would like and moved forward.

It's a beautiful thing, isn't it?

And and, the Ravens purposefully built depth of talent OFF THE FIELD. In the front office. DeCosta has been on everyone's list for GM positions since 2011 but the Ravens were able to keep him with the promise that he would take over for Newsome. They held their end of the bargain, and now their cycle continues, just as our does (albeit in different directions).

Wildbunny just posted in Breaking News the really good article written by Thom Loverro of the Washington Times.  Title of the article is

"No QB, coach can cure culture crippling the RedSkins".  Check it out - it is a  must read.   Loverro can see already that the Skins organization

has begun to put Haskins on a pedestal.  He sees danger signs lurking.  He points out the divide between Coaches and the front office which

we have known for a long time.

14 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Wildbunny just posted in Breaking News the really good article written by Thom Loverro of the Washington Times.  Title of the article is

"No QB, coach can cure culture crippling the RedSkins".  Check it out - it is a  must read.   Loverro can see already that the Skins organization

has begun to put Haskins on a pedestal.  He sees danger signs lurking.  He points out the divide between Coaches and the front office which

we have known for a long time.

Ol Tommy...same story different day. Unfortunately he is never too wrong by simply betting against Dan and Bruce. But he is also a bit of a conspiracy theorist when it comes to Bruce and Dan.

I don't know about the whole putting him on a pedastal thing. It certainly wouldn't be the first time. But I think it's obvious there are danger signs EVERYWHERE in the building right now lol.

Archived