Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

I just thought of another connect the dots thing to Riddick -- Kevin O'Connell.  More than anyone I can think of, Riddick has sung O'Connell's praise and talked him up as a potential great head coach.  Also I thought I heard Riddick is close with Doug. 

This might change but here's my prediction .  

A.  Riddick is either the new GM or has a title similar to Scot where Bruce keeps his power but says it's just a formality or Bruce is reassigned to just business.

I think Dan would want some excuse to keep his drinking buddy or even better have Bruce (Dan) keep the personnel reigns while pretending is if its otherwise.  Sort of like they did when they made the big deal about Doug's promotion.  

B.  Doug gets a new title, too

C.  Either O'Connell is the new coach or Bowles is and if Bowles comes its a package deal with O'Connell as O coordinator

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I just thought of another connect the dots thing to Riddick -- Kevin O'Connell.  More than anyone I can think of, Riddick has sung O'Connell's praise and talked him up as a potential great head coach.  Also I thought I heard Riddick is close with Doug. 

A.  Riddick is either the new GM or has a title similar to Scot where Bruce keeps his power but says it's just a formality or Bruce is reassigned to just business.

I think Dan would want some excuse to keep his drinking buddy or even better have Bruce (Dan) keep the personnel reigns while pretending is if its otherwise.  Sort of like they did when they made the big deal about Doug's promotion.  

C.  Either O'Connell is the new coach or Bowles is and if Bowles comes its a package deal with O'Connell as O coordinator

Sickening.  That whole prediction is sickening, which means it is probably what will happen. 🤢

I know someone on these forums has some design skills.  It would a fun project to use that domain the guy has and make a firebruceallen.com website or something.  

It doesn't even have to be anything too fancy, just something to put him on blast and maybe some national media picks it up.

It would not shock me in the least if the "Gruden is sabotaging Haskins" narrative being thrown around right now is the work of Bruce Allen realizing that he needs a scapegoat to take the heat away from him.  Notice how no one is talking about the Trent Williams debacle anymore?

It’s funny, many other fans would be excited at the prospect of landing Louis (not rightfully so, just due to his ability to communicate effectively on tv— have no clue of his pedigree or history), but it’s already being sabotaged here on this board. 

Not saying its wrong, just an observation. 

31 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

It would not shock me in the least if the "Gruden is sabotaging Haskins" narrative being thrown around right now is the work of Bruce Allen realizing that he needs a scapegoat to take the heat away from him.  Notice how no one is talking about the Trent Williams debacle anymore?

I am not sure. Jay was hired by Bruce. Jay is Bruce’s guy.  I think it’s tough to convince Dan that now, after 5 years, that Bruce is not responsible for Jay.

I think it’s more that Louis wants Bruce’s job and he was talking directly to Dan saying “I can fix this.”

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

All of this is very possible.

Though I am not sure what the hell you do with Doug. 

I think all this has to start with Bruce out of football ops.

If Bruce still has final say, on roster or coaches, then nothing has really changed.  

I really think Dan is going to figure out he has to make huge, dramatic changes. He has watched his fan base deteriorate, season ticket sales are non-existent. He has to do something.  

Just hiring a new coach and trying to convince folks everything is ok just isn’t going to be enough.  I think he is going to feel like he needs to win the off season.  

I could see him getting very aggressive.  Which is a return to type. Overpay for a coach.  Overpay for players. Just go for it to change the narrative.  

45 minutes ago, wit33 said:

It’s funny, many other fans would be excited at the prospect of landing Louis (not rightfully so, just due to his ability to communicate effectively on tv— have no clue of his pedigree or history), but it’s already being sabotaged here on this board. 

Not saying its wrong, just an observation. 

I would take Riddick over Bruce.  But it's hard to ignore that Riddick has some loud fans and also critics.  Both the Redskins eons ago and  the Eagles let him go.  He is killer good though on TV and no doubt he would give a more professional-competent feel to the organization than Vinny did or Bruce.  He also comes off like a good guy and that also would be a nice change. 

An insider type who has been a board member for a long time and mostly liked both Vinny and Bruce and posted on this thread but awhile ago, if I recall he said he heard that Riddick wasn't a hard worker when he was here and he wasn't a fan of him.

I don't know what to make of Cerrato's comments below but its funny to hear him of all people knock someone else on their experience.  😀

http://www.knbr.com/2017/01/12/former-redskins-executive-says-louis-riddick-lacks-experience-required-to-be-gm/

Vinny Cerrato, Riddick’s former boss with the Washington Redskins, hopped on KNBR 1050’s The Audible Thursday morning and had a couple of concerning observations to make.

A) The 49ers have not called Washington’s former VP of Football Operations and…

B) Riddick has never been in the draft room on draft day

“He worked for me and he worked for my good buddy Howie Roseman in Philly,” Cerrato said. “And, you know, it was interesting, I was texting with Howie the other day, he says, ‘It’s funny. He’s worked for me and you and San Francisco has not contacted either one of us about Louis.’ The two places that he worked. I guess they are just using what they see on television.

“I drafted him in San Fran when I was there. Louis worked (with) me in Washington for a long time. He was my pro director. He’s very smart. He’s a very smart guy. He’s never been in the draft room on draft day. He wasn’t in Washington. I don’t think he was in Philly. But he’s never made a decision. If you are going to get a young coach and stuff, I think that would be very difficult, because I don’t know that he’s been in those situations to handle that.”

According to this Washington Post article by Jason La Canfora, Cerrato fired Riddick in 2008.

Riddick was once a rising star in the organization, forging a strong bond with Cerrato and owner Daniel Snyder during seven years with the team, but his profile had cooled in the last year. During interviews with prospective head coaching candidates several involved in the process came away believing Snyder and Cerrato would be moving on without Riddick.

Cerarato wanted to make it clear he doesn’t think Riddick is the best choice for the job, and even suggested both Green Bay candidates — Eliot Wolfe and Brian Gutekunst — over his former employee.

“I mean what you see on TV is nice, but he has never been a head decision-maker,” Cerrato said. “In Washington he was never a decision-maker and I’m almost sure he was never a decision-maker in Philly. So he’s going to need a lot of learning on the job.

“Because he went from Philly, where Howie fired him in Philly, to got the job at ESPN. I mean, he’s a very smart guy. He’s a smart guy. But he just doesn’t have a lot of experience. That’s the thing. I mean, is he a good guy? Yeah. Louis is a decent guy. You know, he just doesn’t have a lot of experience.”

https://www.nj.com/eagles/2015/01/former_eagles_scout_louis_riddick_blasts_howie_ros.html

Former Eagles scout Louis Riddick blasts Howie Roseman in radio interview

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If Bruce still has final say, on roster or coaches, then nothing has really changed.  

If Bruce is here in any capacity, he will have his fingerprints on this stuff.  That's why #FireBruceAllen cannot just be - hire another football guy.  It has to literally be, Bruce Allen is fired and no longer employed by the Redskins.  To at least give the impression that Dan cares and is listening.

19 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

All of this is very possible.

Though I am not sure what the hell you do with Doug. 

I think all this has to start with Bruce out of football ops.

I really think Dan is going to figure out he has to make huge, dramatic changes. He has watched his fan base deteriorate, season ticket sales are non-existent. He has to do something.  

Just hiring a new coach and trying to convince folks everything is ok just isn’t going to be enough.  I think he is going to feel like he needs to win the off season.  

I could see him getting very aggressive.  Which is a return to type. Overpay for a coach.  Overpay for players. Just go for it to change the narrative.  

If its Riddick am pretty sure he's somewhat tight with Doug.  I forgot where I placed that but I think it was Riddick slipping it in an interview one time.    So I'd be surprised if they don't take care of Doug somehow in the process of that's what happens. I think Dan would love to present a scenario where he can keep Bruce so I'll believe he's out when it happens. 

I know your thing is Dan goes old school.  I guess where we depart is I got my doubts that he'd be successful doing it.    I just wonder if the league sees Dan differently 10 years later (and not in a good way) of his last sexy hire. But obviously I am just guessing so will see. 

The choices below aren't sexy.  Obviously this is just guesses from a sports betting outfit.  All of those choices to me are yawn except maybe Bieniemy.  Not that I think Bieniemy puts people in the seats.  If McDaniels can turn down Indy, I'd bet he'd turn it down here.  I think its O'Connell (who I am somewhat intrigued by) or Bowles (who to me would be a totally uninspired choice and then fans will turn on him fast).  And yeah I don't care what they do for coach until they fix the FO.  

32 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I am not sure. Jay was hired by Bruce. Jay is Bruce’s guy.  I think it’s tough to convince Dan that now, after 5 years, that Bruce is not responsible for Jay.

I think it’s more that Louis wants Bruce’s job and he was talking directly to Dan saying “I can fix this.”

All of it’s possible, but I don’t think for a second that Bruce feels he’s going to pay the price for and with Jay.  That’s just wishful thinking.

I’d bet anything that if Riddick is brought in, it won’t be to replace Bruce.

As for odds on the next HC...

I’d imagine Reid will counsel Bieniemy thoroughly thus making him not an option.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

All of it’s possible, but I don’t think for a second that Bruce feels he’s going to pay the price for and with Jay.  That’s just wishful thinking.

I’d bet anything that if Riddick is brought in, it won’t be to replace Bruce.

That's what I think.  Technically even when Scot came -- Bruce still lorded over the operation and kept the power.  Ditto when they made a big deal about Doug's promotion.

Clearly Bruce or someone in that building is aware the fans don't like Bruce so the tact is to prop someone new or elevate someone in that building and make a big deal about it.  Bruce stays and when he's cornered on it he gives an aw shucks answer about yes he technically still has the power but he really doesn't use that power-- its just a formality.  B)

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bruce stays and when he's cornered on it he gives an aw shucks answer about yes he technically still has the power but he really doesn't use that power-- its just a formality.  B)

Even if he doesn't pick the players, it's still a hindrance to have him involved.  We don't need or want him talking to the players, agents, other GM's etc. when it comes to extensions, contracts, etc.  I think there is enough here to suggest that isn't a strong suit for him and plays a big factor in the wasted resources that keep this team starting from behind year in and year out.

21 hours ago, superozman said:

Our 2014-2016 Drafts, and what remains:

Draft Picks since 2014 to 2016 Pos Where are they now
T. Murphy OLB Gone
M. Moses RT Starter
S. Long OL Gone
B. Breeland CB Gone
R. Grant WR Gone
L. Seastrunk RB Gone
T. Bolser TE Gone
Zack Hocker K Gone
Scherff RG Starter
P. Smith OLB Gone
M. Jones RB Gone
J. Crowder WR Gone
Kouandjio OL Gone
M. Spaight ILB Gone
K. Jarrett S Gone
T. Mitchel CB Gone
E. Spencer WR Gone
A. Reiter OL Gone
J. Doctson WR Gone
S. Cravens S Gone
K. Fuller CB Gone
Ioannidis DL Starter
N. Sudfeld QB Gone
S. Daniels LB Gone
K. Marshall RB Gone

A complete shiz show

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Even if he doesn't pick the players, it's still a hindrance to have him involved.  We don't need or want him talking to the players, agents, other GM's etc. when it comes to extensions, contracts, etc.  I think there is enough here to suggest that isn't a strong suit for him and plays a big factor in the wasted resources that keep this team starting from behind year in and year out.

Don't get me wrong, I am not arguing that I'd like it to happen that way.  I am guessing that is what they'd do.  That is, if they do anything at all. 

I used to argue I don't care if Bruce is reassigned, just take him out of personnel.  I've changed my mind on that because Dan seems too closely bonded with Bruce.  And if Bruce-Dan drink together every night -- Bruce will have plenty of influence.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't get me wrong, I am not arguing that I'd like it to happen that way.  I am guessing that is would they'd do.  That is, if they do anything at all. 

I used to argue I don't care if Bruce is reassigned, just take him out of personnel.  I've changed my mind on that because Dan seems too closely bonded with Bruce.  And if Bruce-Dan drink together every night -- Bruce will have plenty of influence.

Oh not for a second did I think you would be happy with that.  No worries on that end...

I was more speaking in general that any setup that consists of Bruce is a bad one.  Because even if he really did let the GM pick the groceries, he's still going to try and assist with the meal in some capacity.  He's shown not to be good at the personal side of the business, which is why I'd prefer a restraining order on him preventing him from coming within 500 ft. of Redskins Park.

14 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

@Skinsinparadise I’m not suggesting Snyder will be completely successful. Or successful at all.  But I think he’s going to try and change the narrative.

the list JP tweeted out is missing both Bowles and KO. Which means it’s probably not worth that much.  

OK, I agree he might try.  And who knows?  we are all just guessing.

I am catching up with a Hoffman segment right now from yesterday on Dukes' show.  He's gotten pretty plugged in.    He doubled down that Dan-FO are insulated and delusional but if fans continue to be no shows it might eventually smack them in the face enough where it registers.  I am forgetting who said it now but two people who cover the team have said this week the FO is stunned about this start -- they didn't see it coming even a little bit.

12 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Snyder was buds with Cerrato, racket ball buddies.  He fired him eventually.

I think we got some deeper challenges this time:

A.  Dan has gotten even more reclusive now.  Bruce is like the Bo Jackson of Redskins Park, in charge of everything.   Bruce even represents Dan at owner meetings and goes it often alone.    Some who have covered both eras say that Vinny was mostly just doing what Dan wanted wheres he trusts Bruce in a bigger way and often albeit doesn't always let Bruce do his thing.

B.  The Stadium.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think we got some deeper challenges this time:

A.  Dan has gotten even more reclusive now.  Bruce is like the Bo Jackson of Redskins Park, in charge of everything.   Bruce even represents Dan at owner meetings and goes it often alone.    Some who have covered both eras say that Vinny was mostly just doing what Dan wanted wheres he trusts Bruce in a bigger way and often albeit doesn't always let Bruce his thing.

B.  The Stadium.

I keep giggling like a child at this mental image of Dan walking around is yacht with Kleenex boxes on his feet, his hair all over the place, nails uncut, collecting jars of his own urine in his IMAX theater... 🤣

The stadium deal is dead, or at least I hope it is. Let Dan live with that ****hole in Landover, RALJON, PENOS (thanks, Tony Kornheiser) or whatever it's called today. His reliance upon and allegiance to Brucie has meant that any deal in Md and Va (where he had allies in Hogan and McAuliffe until one said "**** you" and the other was out of office) is hosed and he never had any allies in DC at all. Period.

Archived