Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

Alex to GM isn't going to happen, and I can't believe people are actually believing it.  Yes, John Lynch did it...... A DECADE AFTER HIS CONTRACT ENDED. Point me to a player in any sport who quit his playing career to immediately become a GM. Anyone. Even a lacrosse team. Any team, anywhere, any sport. It doesn't happen.

47 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

We're in a thread where we are talking about Alex freaking Smith being our GM and this stands out to you???? Also, bruce allen has been allowed to destroy this team for 10 years so nothing should be surprising at this point. 

Hall has done very little to convince me he has the football acumen to be a GM. And even the “reporting” he did on Williams was all bunk. 

Cooley might be the smartest guy in every room he walks into, the question with him would be if he was motivated and if he wanted 

Alex Smith everybody says is smart as hell and he seems to get along with everybody.  I have no idea how good he would be as an executive. 

11 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Alex to GM isn't going to happen, and I can't believe people are actually believing it.  Yes, John Lynch did it...... A DECADE AFTER HIS CONTRACT ENDED. Point me to a player in any sport who quit his playing career to immediately become a GM. Anyone. Even a lacrosse team. Any team, anywhere, any sport. It doesn't happen.

Counter argument: Dan Snyder.

it might happen.  Hopefully it doesn’t. 

16 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Michael Jordan is the closest comp I can think of, but he was the GOAT and that turned out to be a disaster. 

1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

Seriously why isn't Cooley in the conversation?

11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote pics, gifs, vids, or any large sections of text.
It unnecessarily extends and clutters threads and is annoying. Edit them out. If you would like to respond to the contents of a particular post,you can simply highlight text, click the popup that floats over it, and it just quotes that text.  When on mobile, if you quote a post with an image in it, simply tap the image in the quote box to highlight it & hit backspace on your keyboard to delete it.

13 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

That is a good counter argument, but there are two counter argument to that: 1. Alex Smith ; 2. Money

Counter Argument: Alex realizes he won’t be able to play.  He retires, saving the Skins money on the cap.  Part of his FO deal, which doesn’t hit the cap, is he recoups the money he lost by retiring. 

EDIT: I actually don’t see this happening but if it could happen anywhere it would be here 

23 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Counter Argument: Alex realizes he won’t be able to play.  He retires, saving the Skins money on the cap.  Part of his FO deal, which doesn’t hit the cap, is he recoups the money he lost by retiring. 

EDIT: I actually don’t see this happening but if it could happen anywhere it would be here 

You just know that in this hypothetical we get investigated and punished by the league via docked draft picks, circumventing the cap yada yada. 

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Alex Smith as GM?

why stop there? John Beck as ST coach, Colt Brennan as LB coach, Rex as director of scouting, Danny Wuerfel as OL coach, Shane Matthews as Director of player personnel...

What other stupid idea did I miss?

Sage Rosenfels as RB coach was thrown out there.

8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Just my $.02.  But shoot for the stars, man.  Shoot for the stars.  :)

Lol, good stuff... but, on a serious note, that is why I started my post with “I have way too high a standard now, especially for someone like Dan”... ;) 

It is what it is. That’s all for me to not remain pessimistic and buy into it while remaining skeptical Dan won’t ruin it at a moment’s notice. If only some part of what I wrote occurs, I’ll like what I can, dislike what should be disliked, but overall remain more pessimistic that the organization is structured properly enough to set anyone up for success. 

So, yeah, just kind of detailing what my emotional state would be dependent on what occurs. Not what I think will happen, just what needs to happen for it to be affected significantly. Dan has done too much damage at this point for anything else. 😕 

7 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Lol, good stuff... but, on a serious note, that is why I started my post with “I have way too high a standard now, especially for someone like Dan”... ;) 

It is what it is. That’s all for me to not remain pessimistic and buy into it while remaining skeptical Dan won’t ruin it at a moment’s notice. If only some part of what I wrote occurs, I’ll like what I can, dislike what should be disliked, but overall remain more pessimistic that the organization is structured properly enough to set anyone up for success. 

So, yeah, just kind of detailing what my emotional state would be dependent on what occurs. Not what I think will happen, just what needs to happen for it to be affected significantly. Dan has done too much damage at this point for anything else. 😕 

Stop reading past that post, before you get to the ones who would actually be cool with a completely unqualified ex (or current!) player like DHall or Cooley or Smith becoming the GM...

Just looking out for your mental health 

8 hours ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

Can the mods promise that if Bruce is fired it will go in its own thread along with maybe one other discussion thread?  I just do not understand why I didn't know Trent Williams had another interview where he talks specifically about Bruce and how that went down and it's not its own thread. 

We never stopped anyone from making a thread. If something is too similar or too problematic and would take up the entire board, that’s when we merge or lock threads. And that’s really all we do, it’s rare for someone to actually get penalized for it, so it’s not the end of the world. 

Something like that Trent interview would’ve likely stayed open if someone felt it deserved its own thread. If they had any doubt, they could start with, “I think this deserves its own thread, but if the Mods think otherwise, I understand...”

Threads like that are almost never shut down. Ever. It’s probably like 95% survival rate or something, lol. 

We’re just not in the business of constantly dictating whether the users want mega threads or not. Some people love them and don’t want to scour the board for multiple threads while others hate them and bring up points like the one you just did. We went through all this with the twitter thread before. People legitimately got hurt when we tried to stop the “mega thread”, lol. 

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Alex Smith as GM?

why stop there? John Beck as ST coach, Colt Brennan as LB coach, Rex as director of scouting, Danny Wuerfel as OL coach, Shane Matthews as Director of player personnel...

What other stupid idea did I miss?

Don't sleep on Gibran Hamdan's role in this rebuild.

2 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Okay 😂 let me try to bring something serious in. 

What do we think of the structure behind Bruce? I think college scouting is doing a above average job. Do you want to keep them? I wouldn't mind to push Smith to a bigger role and see where it goes. 

That's the brightest spot on this entire team, the scouting department.  Yes, I would love for Smith to become our GM and let him pick the next HC. 

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

That's the brightest spot on this entire team, the scouting department.  Yes, I would love for Smith to become our GM and let him pick the next HC. 

Yeah my feeling is also. If that part is not broken, don't mess it up. 

But really depends on who they bring in. If it's an outside GM with experience. I could see him want to bring in his own guys. A fresh restart. Instead of just be GM.

Timing of this move is great. We need to make the GM move quick to start working towards a new HC. Otherwise you get into coach process with two openings and are forced to do these combo deals. I rather have a GM that hires the best guy instead of the guy he knows best. 

2 hours ago, spjunkies said:

Michael Jordan is the closest comp I can think of, but he was the GOAT and that turned out to be a disaster. 

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I stand corrected lol, thanks spjunkies. But the other thing with Alex is in all his rehab, it looked like Alex's goal wasn't just to be healthy enough to cash his next check. He looks like he wants to play. I still can't see him agreeing to put on a suit and tie and going to NFL GM meetings representing the team when he still has the fight in him to try to be a starting QB again. He's a great guy, but he'd have to be living saint to forfeit millions of dollars from the team to save the team cap money, even if there's going to be a sketchy IOU at the end of it.

12 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If they let him get away he will probably land somewhere else and be very successful.  They need to figure a way to keep him even if he is not going to be GM at this point. Obviously he is very talented 

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Stop reading past that post, before you get to the ones who would actually be cool with a completely unqualified ex (or current!) player like DHall or Cooley or Smith becoming the GM...

Just looking out for your mental health 

You are a gentleman and a scholar kind sir. :ols: 

But too late. giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29888d48cd26dc74e660

5 hours ago, RWJ said:

No way. Smith should be fired along with Bruce, Doug, Santos, and Schaeffer. They need all exterior hires in that FO to rid of the stench.

Archived