Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

On 2/21/2019 at 6:05 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/20/8072877/what-the-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round

Historic Success Chart

The numbers show us the following outline for finding consistent starters:

1st Round - OL (83%) LB (70%) TE (67%) DB (64%) QB (63%) WR (58%) RB (58%) DL (58%)

2nd Round - OL (70%) LB (55%) TE (50%) WR (49%) DB (46%) QB (27%) DL (26%) RB (25%)

3rd Round - OL (40%) TE (39%) LB (34%) DL (27%) WR (25%) DB (24%) QB (17%) RB (16%)

4th Round - DL (37%) TE (33%) OL (29%) LB (16%) WR(12%) DB (11%) RB (11%) QB (8%)

5th Round - TE (32%) DB (17%) WR (16%) OL (16%) DL (13%) RB (9%) LB (4%) QB (0%)

6th Round - TE (26%) OL (16%) DL (13%) WR (9%) DB (8%) RB (6%) LB (5%) QB (0%)

7th Round - DB (11%) OL (9%) QB (6%) WR (5%) DL (3%) LB (2%) RB (0%) TE (0%)

Is that accurate?  How can QB in the 6th be 0%.  Brady was pretty good

45 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

Is that accurate?  How can QB in the 6th be 0%.  Brady was pretty good

The chart you quoted was looking at drafts since 2005, which Brady was not part of that draft range.  From the article:

Criteria

This post has a simple criteria: How many players were drafted by position and round over the last decade and how many went on to become a starter.

What we find is that from 2005 until 2014:

I recall reading that Dan wanted Kelly over his scouts objections, too.  So hopefully Dan stays out of personnel decisions no matter how big a fan outcry they are dealing with.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/express/2019/02/22/history-says-maybe-redskins-should-think-twice-about-drafting-qb/?utm_term=.7e2a63cc5992

Patrick Ramsey was a 2002 first-rounder. Owner Dan Snyder wanted him over staff objections. He was a spot player at best and traded in 2006 for a sixth-rounder.

19 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Another gem, he calls Matt Cavanaugh ‘Matt Cavanoff’. Perhaps he wasn’t purposely disrespecting Kirk and literally just has absolutely no idea who is part of the team. 🤣

Too many Coors light ?

40 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Another gem, he calls Matt Cavanaugh ‘Matt Cavanoff’. Perhaps he wasn’t purposely disrespecting Kirk and literally just has absolutely no idea who is part of the team. 🤣

WTF is wrong with this idiot?  Cavanaugh has been around forever and he doesn't know how to say his name? He is just a total fool and an embarrassment. 

25 minutes ago, Alexa said:

WTF is wrong with this idiot?  Cavanaugh has been around forever and he doesn't know how to say his name? He is just a total fool and an embarrassment. 

Cavanoff isn't actually a name so it seems like he just mispronounced it

1 minute ago, carex said:

Cavanoff isn't actually a name so it seems like he just mispronounced it

Cavanaugh has been with the team for 4 yrs. Don't you think he should have figured out how to say his name by now? I get wanting to give someone the benefit of the doubt - but Matt has been here 4 ****ing years!!  

He is either that stupid or that self absorbed and lazy that he can't be bothered with remembering peoples names. I tend to lean towards self absorbed and lazy being the cause.  

Either way it's disrespectful as hell. I am sure it's just one reason he keeps making everyone's worst GMs list. 

1 hour ago, FrFan said:

Too many Coors light ?

#bruceallendrinkscoorslightandsodoi

I doubt it.. probably a wine cooler..

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I realize your are naturally dispositioned to defend the Redskins, like a mother defends their child, but c’mon man.

You damn near have to go out of your way to mispronounce his name like that.

This is even funny to me..lol 

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Anything at all of substance gained the last couple days from the Bruce/Doug/Gruden pressers? Have hardly seen them talked about here

As the Junkies said, Bruce is the human form of melatonin.  The only substance was of him calling Matt Cavanaugh - Cavanoff and touting Jay’s Arena league HOF status.  Perhaps he was hungover and just had a hankering for some beef stroganoff.

31 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

As the Junkies said, Bruce is the human form of melatonin.  The only substance was of him calling Matt Cavanaugh - Cavanoff and touting Jay’s Arena league HOF status.  Perhaps he was hungover and just had a hankering for some beef stroganoff.

Or as bruce would call it..beef strokinoff..

This is the 2nd time I've seen the Redskins haven't hired a lobbyist to work the stadium angle.  From my observations, most teams do hire a professional lobbyist to push this as they should.  The Dolphins for example hired the top lobbyist in the state along with others, too.    Not only have sports teams hired lobbyists but some of them actually hired grassroots organizations to stir up support.  I know because I've done some work for them albeit a very small part of it.

The Redskins not doing so thus far.  Is this Bruce's attempt again to be cheap?  Hiring a top lobbyist type to run this would likely charge $50,000-$100,000 or is this Bruce's attempt to remain indispensable on the stadium -- hence Dan is always boxed in to keep him?  I've noticed in 2 recent Redskins Nations segments, Bruce's brother, George was at Redskins functions.  It makes you think how can Dan fire Bruce when he's the lead for the stadium let alone probably every ounce of their political juice is coming from Bruce's brother.

I am not a lobbyist personally.  But I've been on the other end of their work plenty of times back when I worked in govt.  I have close friends who do it for a living.  And while that business gets a bad name because like lawyers they will work for industries that people don't care for... but there is a reason why they get paid the big bucks and that is they understand the process and they have built in connections and a network of people who owe them favors that they can trade them in for when needed.

Bruce would have none to little of this working for him unless people are just about helping him because of his brother.  But there would be limits to that from my experience.  The idea for example that Bruce-Dan were caught by surprise last year that the majority party at the time lost control of the House and they in turn had to scramble to get an amendment in the budget at the 11th hour and failed -- that's an amateur mistake.  If they had a professional running the stadium operation -- that would have likely never happened.  It wasn't that hard to see months before that Nov that change might be coming to the House.

I've joked before that Bruce is like the Bo Jackson of that FO -- he's in the mix of just about everything.  And apparently he's so good wearing all of his hats he's apparently a maestro too at working government.   IMO Bruce is a jack of all trades -- bad at most of them.   Dan should do what most teams that I've observed have done -- hire a high powered lobbyist who actually understands government and does it for a living. 

If Bruce oozed competence maybe I'd go on that unconventional ride.  But the dude could barely even pronounce the names of his employees and get through an interview (though I'll give him he's improving) without making some moronic statement.  I don't buy that he's equipped to run this with essentially no help.   

Liz Clark has pointed the same in a podcast about how it strikes her odd that they have no lobbyist working this for them and they are doing this on their own.  I can tell from my years doing this -- if you are trying to pass controversial legislation that doesn't have wide support -- you better know what you are doing because its a complicated maze to work the process including sneaking amendments in on a hotly debated budget.  

23 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Just another illustration of his rare southern dialect. Please do not mock him for these things he's unable to control. 

Bruce waking up that boring only works when you are a winner -- but 8-8 and boring is death as for generating fan interest?  The Giants were 5-11 but they get 10 times the coverage and interest the Redskins do because of their star power.  Having said that maybe this isn't Bruce but Dan.  And if that's the case I don't know what to think about the need to make a splash if the tweet below is true.  I want Dan in his cage where he allows his football people to make the moves.  But on the other hand I don't consider Bruce a football guy.   And since I can only guess who makes what decisions there and who overrules whom or not, etc -- its tough to figure out what to root for as to whatever power game happens in that FO aside from just guessing based on scuttlebutt.   

We've gone IMO from 2 extremes of incompetence.  1. A dude that was likable but blatantly incompetent who was dying always to make a splash.  2.  A dude who isn't likable and is mediocre at his job and produces a team with no pizzaz.  In a weird way as I've said before, Bruce has been worse for Dan's brand IMO because boring and mediocre has taken an even bigger toll it seems on fans.  And by fans, I don't mean us.  We'd watch this team in any configuration.  I mean casual fans who are critical to attendance and TV ratings.

Archived