Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

8 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

If Rosen becomes available, why?

Because he'll be cheap.  We'd be on the hook for the six million dollars of guaranteed money that the Cardinals still owe him, but in return we'd control him for the next three years. 

1 hour ago, Tsailand said:

Because he'll be cheap.  We'd be on the hook for the six million dollars of guaranteed money that the Cardinals still owe him, but in return we'd control him for the next three years. 

We'd still have the 5th year (4th to us) option due to 1st round pick, right? Or is that option lost in a trade?

2 hours ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

And Bruce is still here I see.  I'll be back in a couple months to check again.

I honestly think you can come back in August and he'll still be around.

Maybe around December things will have gotten ugly and he will have been fired by then. But I doubt he's out before the start of the season right now.

19 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Why on earth would AB want to come here?  And why on earth would any fans want him here?  A move like that has every reason to blow up in our faces.

So yeah, they will probably do it.

So if trade doesn’t happen, you’ll give them credit for not doing it?

With that said, a healthy Alex Smith type QB would help with a Brown personality and Skins don’t have that. I wouldn’t be against the move if made but lean towards it not be the best fit. As I write this, I could convince myself Colt and Brown hitting it off. Colt being a well liked dude and Brown wanting to prove his greatness and doing it with a McCoy type QB would cement that. 

27 minutes ago, wit33 said:

So if trade doesn’t happen, you’ll give them credit for not doing it?

Perhaps I’m missing something, but is there an actual trade on the table for them to say no to?

As for Alex being the type of guy to tame Brown, what leads you believe that?  Big Ben is a 2x SB champ QB, that is beloved by one of the premier fanbases in the NFL.  Yet here we are.    

If the Cardinals "give up" on Rosen it's only bc of a weird confluence of events: they happened to get the #1 pick in a year that their new HC's favorite QB declared, and he chose football over baseball, which no one thought was realistic when the season ended. Not really something that has the opportunity to happen often, IF it happens. I still think Rosen is better than most of this year's prospects, if you can get him "cheap" (whatever that means) I think you go for it. For all we know they loved him last year. 

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

If the Cardinals "give up" on Rosen it's only bc of a weird confluence of events: they happened to get the #1 pick in a year that their new HC's favorite QB declared, and he chose football over baseball, which no one thought was realistic when the season ended. Not really something that has the opportunity to happen often, IF it happens. I still think Rosen is better than most of this year's prospects, if you can get him "cheap" (whatever that means) I think you go for it. For all we know they loved him last year. 

I am OK with Rosen depending on the price they pay to get him.  And agree "if" is the operative word.  Right now there is speculation that the Cards are going to draft Murray but we haven't heard yet that Rosen is definitely on the trading block. 

11 hours ago, jsharrin55 said:

We'd still have the 5th year (4th to us) option due to 1st round pick, right? Or is that option lost in a trade?

I'm not sure, honestly.  I know it would cost the average of the top 10 QBs.  Same road we've been down before...

5 hours ago, A Skinhead in Saints Land said:

I’m cool with Rosen for anything but a 1st. Maybe a 2nd and a player

How about a third plus Trent Williams?

3 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

How about a third plus Trent Williams?

Yes, let's trade for a QB who was shellshocked behind a porous OL last year, and trade away our best offensive lineman in the process. Rosen would probably **** himself if that happened.

11 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

We need to replace Williams with someone younger, cheaper, healthier.  Should be done this year.

We have four picks in the first three rounds.  I want us to spend two of those on O-line.

Yeah, he's only valuable when he's on the field, which is happening less and less frequently. And I don't see any reason to think that'll get better as he ages. He's costing a lot on the cap, his deal expires in two years, and re-signing him looks like a ridiculously bad investment. Getting something for him now would be the smart move.

Which is why we won't do that.

9 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Perhaps I’m missing something, but is there an actual trade on the table for them to say no to?

I was responding to your issue if organization picked up Brown, the other side of coin is them not executing a trade.

9 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

As for Alex being the type of guy to tame Brown, what leads you believe that?  Big Ben is a 2x SB champ QB, that is beloved by one of the premier fanbases in the NFL.  Yet here we are.    

Alex is a leader who does not appear to subscribe to idea of criticizing teammates publicly or creating a gap between himself and rest of players, as if he knows best. Not saying it’s wrong or can’t work, but it has chance to be combustible with other alpha males with cache and value to have issue with it. Didn’t work last year, as the team underachieved. 

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Getting something for him now would be the smart move. 

I'm not sure how much we could get.  My trade for Rosen suggestion was optimistic.

The trade value of a player is his expected performance minus his salary owed.  Frankly, that number is close to zero for Williams.  Unless a team overpays... I have just the team in mind, and it's not the Cardinals.

8 hours ago, wit33 said:

I was responding to your issue if organization picked up Brown, the other side of coin is them not executing a trade.

Alex is a leader who does not appear to subscribe to idea of criticizing teammates publicly or creating a gap between himself and rest of players, as if he knows best. Not saying it’s wrong or can’t work, but it has chance to be combustible with other alpha males with cache and value to have issue with it. Didn’t work last year, as the team underachieved. 

I don’t think the team is in any position to pick up Brown, financially or culturally.  The guy is already at 17M APY and wants even more.  That should be a hard pass for most every team, particularly the Redskins.  I can’t even see how they could swing bringing him in here.  However, I can see them thinking a name like Brown is just what the doctor ordered in hopes to fill seats.  

By all accounts, Alex is a great guy.  Same with Colt.  But neither guy has the ability to force feed the ego and hands of a guy like Brown.  While there would be no worry of a guy like Alex or Colt airing him out in the press, the issue would be their inability to air him out on the field.  

Archived