Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Politics Sexual Assault Thread

No Excuses

16 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Yeah at this point “not believing the allegations” is a choice you make to rationalize your support of your party and not a conclusion one can even somewhat realistically come to after viewing the evidence presented. 

Therefore, I really don’t see much distinction in supporting a pedophile because he’s the right political party versus simply endorsing pedophilia. 

Sure there is a line...but come on 

The ridiculously easy test is to imagine the reaction from that crowd if it was Doug Jones who was accused by all those women.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

Evangelical Christianity is declining in this country for many reasons but I think a big part of it is that nobody is buying that these beliefs are sincere anymore.

It’s why I no longer identify as an Evangelical. Many of my friends and colleagues tried to reclaim the term to have it focus on the focus and importance of evangelical outreach, but the term Evangelical has effectively been co-opted to mean Rightwing Conservative (read Baptist) American Christianity. And before someone takes issue with the attachment to Baptist, make no mistake even non-demoninational churches are the vast majority of the time just unaffiliated congregations with Baptist theology and polity. This does not serve as a condemnation of Baptists, it is just an observation of fact.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I thought Moore was going to go at Hannity next. Instead he hurries to beat a 24 hour deadline. Losing support from him is what shook Moore. ****ed up world. 

That letter to Hannity was a pathetic attempt to deflect, victim blame and hide behind his absurd counter suits.

• Thanks 1

Ultimately this is all the GOP's own fault. They've spent the past few decades pushing their base deeper and deeper into paranoia, fear and a politics of resentment.

And now they are so paranoid and distrusting, that they don't trust their own party, except the most repugnant, vile people within it like Roy Moore, Steve Bannon and Donald Trump.

• Like 2

Zguy, I love you man, and I do not doubt your sincerity.

But right now, the Christian evangelical community has a deep sickness within it.  Politics and tribalism have overcome genuine faith for a huge percentage of the flock.  The leadership is no longer Billy Graham - it is Jerry Falwell Jr., Tony Perkins, Bryan Fischer, James Dobson, Ralph Reed, David Barton, Louis Sheldon, Tim LaHaye....  

The sheep may be good, or at least have the potential to be good if led wisely, but the shephards they follow are rotten to the core and have passed on their rottenness to a huge percentage of the sheep.  I don't know how the evangelical community can fix itself, but my disdain for that community (as a whole) is not unfair - it has been fully earned. 

9 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Ultimately this is all the GOP's own fault. They've spent the past few decades pushing their base deeper and deeper into paranoia, fear and a politics of resentment.

And now they are so paranoid and distrusting, that they don't trust their own party, except the most repugnant, vile people within it like Roy Moore, Steve Bannon and Donald Trump.

This.  The real problem isn't Roy Moore.  The real problem actually is Mitch McConnell himself, and the rest of the "establishment" GOP that willingly created this Frankenstein for short term electoral gain.  

Edited by Predicto
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

I have to say, the most surprising thing I've learned is that the age of consent in Alabama is 16 and not like 6

Yeah ... but it's actually 16*

More of a loose guideline than an actual strict limit.

Edited by Corcaigh

This...right here...this...

How many of us came out in partisan denial about Weinstein and Spacey? Where was the Left’s continual denial? Oh sorry it was non-existent, the Right embraced those sexual abuses then used them as some sort of secondary attack on the Democrats, then all of the sudden an actual GOP politician gets accused of child molestation with (six and counting) victims with physical evidence and as a result the GOPers amazingly don’t believe it.

Stetzer brought up Occam’s Razor, so ok let’s do that. Which is more reasonable that Evangelicals in Alabama truly don’t believe the “liberal media” (which broke the Weinstein/Spacey stories) reports about Moore or that they are just committed to partisanship and value electing a pedophile who happens to be a Republucan over seeing a Democrat in that Senate seat?

Interestingly, it’s only the former that affords those Evagelicals with a convenient semi-plausible justification for living in denial and electing a child molester. 

The human animal has the infinite capacity for self rationalisation.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

This...right here...this...

Edit

How many of us came out in partisan denial about Weinstein and Spacey? Where was the Left’s continual denial? Oh sorry it was non-existent, the Right embraced those sexual abuses then used them as some sort of secondary attack on the Democrats, then all of the sudden an actual GOP politician gets accused of child molestation with (six and counting) victims with physical evidence and as a result the GOPers amazingly don’t believe it.

Stetzer brought up Occam’s Razor, so ok let’s do that. Which is more reasonable that Evangelicals in Alabama truly don’t believe the “liberal media” (which broke the Weinstein/Spacey stories) reports about Moore or that they are just committed to partisanship and value electing a pedophile who happens to be a Republucan over seeing a Democrat in that Senate seat?

Interestingly, it’s only the former that affords those Evagelicals with a convenient semi-plausible justification for living in denial and electing a child molester. 

The human animal has the infinite capacity for self rationalisation.

This highlights the entire problem with the chasm created by 45s campaign and resulting election coupled with his full out attack on the media. The playbook is Deny, Deflect, and Attack! What's interesting is how quickly they will turn inwards and attack, not if someone commits heinous acts like Roy Moore who many are still defending and refusing to believe he did it, (I honestly think it's worse if they acknowledge he is likely guilty but still vote for him due to party, but that's just me.), but if someone dares to present facts that they don't agree with. The recent debunking of the entire Uranium One accusations by Shepard Smith is a perfect example. Instead of realizing that the accusations are completely false, they are calling for Smith to be fired from Fox. 

BTW: I wonder how many people are wishing they still had their Keurigs!! Most hilarious thing I have ever seen! 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

but if someone dares to present facts that they don't agree with. The recent debunking of the entire Uranium One accusations by Shepard Smith is a perfect example. Instead of realizing that the accusations are completely false, they are calling for Smith to be fired from Fox. 

There are even those who are calling Sean Hannity a sell out because of what he said.

• Sad 1