Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kirk Cousins, halfway through 2017: your new fun stop for wild spasmodic gyrating and posting excitement!---M.E.T.

Tsailand

After eight games, Kirk is....

...182 of 268 (67.9%) for 2147 yards, 13 touchdowns, 4 ints.  That's 4th in the league in completion percentage and 7th in yards and 7th in yards per attempt and 7th in passer rating (102.).  You might ask why he is only 16th in total attempts, but that is a question for the Jay Gruden thread.

....ANY/A is 7.02, 9th in the league.  QBR he's 8th.  DVOA only 17th*.  (Feel free to discuss below what kind of O-line and WRs and running game the other top QBs have backing them up.)

....Kirk's on pace for 4294 yards, which will be 2nd most in Redskins history, just ahead of 2015 Kirk Cousins but well behind 2016 Kirk Cousins.  4th place is Jay Schroeder's 1986 season. 

...He's on pace for 26 TDs, 8 ints. In 2016 he had 25 TD passes and 2015 had 29.  The last time a Redskins QB other than Kirk Cousins threw for 25+ TDs was 1991.

.... 4-4, since apparently wins are a QB stat.  If the team can go 5-3 over these last eight games, which are going to be easier than our first eigh, that will be three winning seasons in a row. Which we haven't done since Gibbs I.

He is also improving. People wanted him to stop throwing picks...and he has. People wanted him to play better in crunch time and he has two 4th quarter comebacks (SF and SEA). If we surround him with more talent he would be a top 5 QB no doubt.

The catch Doctson made to win the game was awesome..but should have been a touchdown..if the ball was properly thrown..Kirk took the sack in the end zone..I know I mentioned to my family about how there could be a benching(prob the booze talking).I guess more to complain about than to be proud of from kirk..so out side of the sacks he took he had a fare game..**** I don't even know his numbers from the seahawks game..but after seeing him play with the grit just pure toughness heart and desire the last two games especially it completely made up my mind about who I want my franchise qb to be..and from the day we played Baltimore in '12 when he came in to help secure the victory my feelings haven't changed once about knowing deep down this was our future.

To me the stats are misleading because they ignore situational football  I'll focus on two games:

@ Philly - this was a game where Wentz looked bigger as the plays broke down whereas Kirk shrunk. It just made me feel there will be certain limitations Kirk won't be able to overcome. 

We didn't lose because of Kirk, but I got the feeling weren't going to win because of him.

@ Seattle - no OL,  sacked 6 times and punished repeatedly. He stood in there and made some huge throws when the team needs him the most. In that game he rose to the occasion.

One example why he's needed and another why he's not. Overall I'd look back at the other options. Unless you are the Pats this is a year-by-year league and no Kirk hater has pointed out a better option for next year and beyond. 

49 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

We don't need another Kirk thread.

That is not an unreasonable thought, but you're not a mod, and coming from you it reminds me that I am frequently wondering if we need you. :)

If a mod wants to close it , they will. Personally, I'd leave it open just for you, but not let you post in it.  :ols:

• Jumbo changed the title to Kirk Cousins, halfway through 2017: your new fun stop for wild spasmodic gyrating and posting excitement!---M.E.T.

Well first on kc---he's way too pale and not buff enough. Doesn't scare me. He's like a goody two shoes. I'm looking for someone with much more criminal element to lead the team.

12 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

I had something I was going to post in the "other one." 

Is this thread supposed to be free of front office dissection, contract talk, Bruce Allen is the devil, and only on Cousins' statical whatevers? 

Thanks in advance!

This one is for whether krik---and of course by extension, jay----have the right religion and politics. Discuss.

ok ok, i'll stop. i know we're only supposed to have so much fun around here. this is a very therial topic. qb is a thuper therial position.

i hope the title is satisfactory 

14 minutes ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

I had something I was going to post in the "other one." 

Is this thread supposed to be free of front office dissection, contract talk, Bruce Allen is the devil, and only on Cousins' statistical whatevers? 

Thanks in advance!

well, why don't you open a general FO thread....that might be a thing...seriously, cook something up...i'd love to read more of your take on it....and we have tso getting a good first hand feel of the team, comparatively, as well as tk...and sip is always good on that topic...and maybe some stuff about patriotism and alien lizards...

42 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

That is not an unreasonable thought, but you're not a mod, and coming from you it reminds me that I am frequently wondering if we need you. :)

If a mod wants to close it , they will. Personally, I'd leave it open just for you, but not let you post in it.  :ols:

My life will go on. I also find the response classless and surprising since I always found you to be a levelheaded mod. If you have a problem with me and I assume my difference in opinion about certain redskins related people (or not? Who knows. I didn't know you had an issue with me), then just do what apparently you're hinting at and give me a lifetime ban. In fact, why not just ban all the people you have different opinions with. 

8 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Well first on kc---he's way too pale and not buff enough. Doesn't scare me. He's like a goody two shoes. I'm looking for someone with much more of a more criminal element to lead the team.

This one is for whether krik---and of course by extension, jay----have the right religion and politics. Discuss.

ok ok, i'll stop. i know we're only supposed to have so much fun around here. this is a very therial topic. qb is a thuper therial position.

i hope the title is satisfactory 

Criminal element? Um, hate to break it to ya, but Jerry Jones has a patent on that.

Now, Jay?  That's a horse of a different color. I'll be curious to see if Gruden calls for more deeper plays for Doctson. I think the effort that Doctson put out to catch that pass gave Cousins a lot more confidence in him, but it wasn't a jump ball, so that's another angle to look for in Doctson.

6 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

You therious? 

Krik is so greedy, BLT. I mean, talk about extortion. Lettuce AND tomatto!

59 minutes ago, Unbias said:

To me the stats are misleading because they ignore situational football  I'll focus on two games:

@ Philly - this was a game where Wentz looked bigger as the plays broke down whereas Kirk shrunk. It just made me feel there will be certain limitations Kirk won't be able to overcome. 

We didn't lose because of Kirk, but I got the feeling weren't going to win because of him.

@ Seattle - no OL,  sacked 6 times and punished repeatedly. He stood in there and made some huge throws when the team needs him the most. In that game he rose to the occasion.

One example why he's needed and another why he's not. Overall I'd look back at the other options. Unless you are the Pats this is a year-by-year league and no Kirk hater has pointed out a better option for next year and beyond. 

Wentz was a monster in that game, but look at how he's played. He's been a monster in EVERY game. He just destroyed a great Broncos D. He's just playing on another level. That doesn't mean Cousins should be dismissed as being bad.

His production is amazing considering he has started for just 2 1/2 seasons on very unbalanced teams without the benefit of a running game, with a poor defense the first two years and then there is this year without a running game, his wide receivers and his 

OL this last couple of weeks.  He still produces, just amazing.

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

My life will go on. I also find the response classless and surprising since I always found you to be a levelheaded mod. If you have a problem with me and I assume my difference in opinion about certain redskins related people (or not? Who knows. I didn't know you had an issue with me), then just do what apparently you're hinting at and give me a lifetime ban. In fact, why not just ban all the people you have different opinions with. 

oh lawdy...you went full retard (i do not endorse use of this term, but here for the humor i must) right at the drop of the hat over an innocuous jab with obligatory smileys..

i could graciously ignore your misplaced glandularism, even with you gratuitously and inaccurately insulting me and my moderation...and there are so many accurate insults you could have made...

but i think it's more appropriate for you to take a break...fwiw, even in this brief response, you display several traits regularly featured  in your posting that do not help your arguments...moving on now :)

Frankly I can't believe any Redskins fan is able to justify moving on from this guy. And I'm not sure you guys that are OK with that have a very good perspective on QB play around the NFL. Or if you do you simply won't accept anything less than a top three QB in the league. For TWO AND A HALF SEASONS he has proven he is clearly a top 10 QB in the league. All of these negatives you harp on could be said about many other top flight QB's in the league. As far as the money goes? It is what it is. If you have a top tier QB and it's his time to get paid he's going to get TOP DOLLAR. That's just the way it works in this league. He's not perfect by any means, but a QB of Kirk's caliber does not simply grow on trees. Go ahead, let him walk. And risk another decade or more in finding even an adequate NFL QB.

My position has never waivered: yes to Kirk, no to $28mil/year.  If you can’t get a deal commensurate with the type of player he is, then you have to move on.

if Kirk doesn’t want to be here, you have to move on.

the FO bolluxed this thing up.  But you shouldn’t pay a 10-13 QB top 5 money.

its really that simple.

Pay the man. Draft well. Sit back for the next 5 years knowing that your team has a shot at the playoffs every year. Once in anything can happen.

Or don't and hope you can find the next Brady or whoever and risk being the browns or the bills or the jets or the dolphins.

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

My position has never waivered: yes to Kirk, no to $28mil/year.  If you can’t get a deal commensurate with the type of player he is, then you have to move on.

if Kirk doesn’t want to be here, you have to move on.

the FO bolluxed this thing up.  But you shouldn’t pay a 10-13 QB top 5 money.

its really that simple.

Top 5 money last year is 10-13 money in 2 years. It's really just timing.

2 hours ago, Jumbo said:

well, why don't you open a general FO thread....that might be a thing...seriously, cook something up...i'd love to read more of your take on it....and we have tso getting a good first hand feel of the team, comparatively, as well as tk...and sip is always good on that topic...and maybe some stuff about patriotism and alien lizards...

I was trying to remember who it was, that said of Bruce Allen: "He was born on 3rd base and ended up with a single." 

Then I got distracted from that with tracking the movements of Allen from June of 1978 to May of 1981.

Among the more amusing things I found when researching about the LA Thunderbolts of the california football league, a supposed professional football team and league in 1980, that as far as I could tell didn't actually have a season or play a game, to which Allen was the head coach, was stumbling upon the semi-current LA Thunderbolts of the california gay softball league. 

Apparently the Thunderbolts went to the world series in 2014. I don't know if they won. 

There were some interesting quotes from Allen about the CFL, back in April of 1980. One about the stock value of the league rising from 0.20 cents per share to 3 dollars, some "1500 percent increase" Allen exclaimed in the article. Where that money went to, who knows. 

I was going to hold off delving into the time the FBI was investigating Allen when he was a sports agent in Arizona, but I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually.

I also was trying to align the years Allen was at Richmond to the years my former head coach, who was a scholarship athlete at Richmond, was there.

It ran concurrent to Allen's time there as a punter. I was trying to figure out if Allen's punting was the reason he was hired as the QB's coach at Arizona State in 1978 after he had a cup of coffee in the NFL with Baltimore, but cut, or was it his father's name.

It was his father's name which was used to sell tickets to the CFL games being promoted in the Spring of 1980 for the Thunderbolts in LA, according to a NY Times article written in 1981 about George Allen finding no peace in not having any NFL coaching prospects on being re-hired.  Over the hill, I suppose.

But reading about california and arizona got me distracted again and got me thinking about my time in california and the time I climbed a 70 foot boulder perch in Joshua Tree national park, naked, and communicated with mourning doves by call. 

- Krik

Archived