Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Seahawks Post Game Assessments

Burgold

Overall: HAIL yeah!!!! :allhail:

Offense: Okay, I'm going to grade the offense on the curve because of all the injuries. Kirk took some terrible passes. He needs to throw the ball away when the play has no chance. That said, he led a great game and as I said last time, he's willing to go for it when it's do or die. He came through. The run game didn't get enough chances and Perrine is trying his hardest to keep himself benched. The run game was nearly effective. It was okay when it was used. Davis and Quick were great. Doctson came through and even Pryor contributed.

B

Defense: They were great minus that one drive. The couldn't contain Wilson, but kept him uncomfortable. They contained the run and they picked off the ball. It's fitting that the D won it effectively with a sack (though I'm kind of annoyed at the refs for giving them an extra play by stopping the clock) Thank goodness their kicker played Charlie Brown with his field goal attempts.

A++

Special Teams: I didn't really notice them do anything terrible or bad. Seattle had one scary return. We had a great pick and run on a two point conversion.

C

Coaching: I feel generous with a win. They overcame a heck of a lot of injuries. The D was about as good as they could have been. Let's give 'em an A.

Refs: Pretty well called game. A few calls or non calls to quibble with, but nothing outrageous. We got the important overturns on the ref screw ups (like the Cousins sack/fumble/TD that was only a sack).

I want to see the film breakdown on Kirk before passing judgment. Based on the responses here, they wanted Kirk checking his first look then throwing it away on almost every play. They would have killed him for playing scared if he did. Lots of people saying he should have run. I want to see if he had anywhere to run to because that defense was barreling down on him almost every play. He definitely stood in and made some big time throws. I'm sure he made some bad decisions too but I really think it's difficult to judge. They knew they were getting pressure and I suspect they were jumping everything short because of it. They definitely were all over Thompson. 

The defense played their tails off. Hats off to the entire team though for fighting through injuries and never giving up. And we can definitely add another clutch drive to Kirks resume. Awesome to see the receivers step up this game. Hopefully, we start to get healthy and can build off of this win. Hail!

Defense gets an A+++++

Offense I will elevate to a B- because of the final drive to take the lead, but realistically they were a C at best.

Special teams? Another C....nothing done to hurt the team, but nothing really done to help.  The hands team gets higher grade than return team.

Wow. Sometimes, the Defense has to carry ya. And boy did they, today!

Lanier was getting pressure up the middle all game. Compton, who we usually beat up, came to play. And Dhall not only played well at safety, but PR with no fumbles.

And though the offense was mostly anemic, Davis, Grant, Quick, and Doctson all had big catches in key moments.

One thing is for certain: We need to get some lineman back soon, and I mean right now. Also, Gruden and Cousins really need to open up the playbook a bit, and start slinging it. We haven't scored more than 27 points in a game all season, and have been held to under 20 three or four times this season. We can't rely on our defense to play like they did today and against the Raiders. The Offense needs to step their game up.

Just now, SkinsGuy said:

The  funny thing is, the defense gave up about 440 yards of offense, and about 150 yards rushing.

But it doesn't seem like it. :) 

Did they really? No, I wouldn't have guessed it. Then again,  it was mostly Wilson breaking contain and running forever and then making completions if coverage broke down because he was running free.

I stick with my A turned into an A++

3 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

The  funny thing is, the defense gave up about 440 yards of offense, and about 150 yards rushing.

But it doesn't seem like it. :) 

Yep.  So much of Seattle's offense is predicated on Wilson making plays after the initial play breaks down.  If not for Wilson's playmaking ability, I am not sure Seattle scores anything other than the safety they got early on.

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Did they really? No, I wouldn't have guessed it. Then again,  it was mostly Wilson breaking contain and running forever and then making completions if coverage broke down because he was running free.

I stick with my A turned into an A++

Yeah, 66 of those rushing yards was Wilson scrambling.

DEFENSE:

I honestly do not understand how our front 7 got so much pressure with both Jonathan Allen and Matt Ioannidis out. You could say it's because of Seattle's Offensive line struggles, and I'd give you that if it was just a few pressures, but we were on their ass the whole game. That goes to coaching. Jim Tomsula deserves all the credit in the world, and Manusky called a great game.

Will Compton held his own. I was impressed by his performance. There are more athletic ILBs out there and on our team, but he is a very valuable backup and locker room presnce. I want him on our team for many years to come. The depth and leadership he adds is invaluable.

Zach Brown was a stud. Throw money at him please.

DeAngelo Hall saving us from that last ditch Hail Mary was so impressive. At his age doing the things he does is just so much fun to witness. Him and Vernon Davis both are wonders for as long as they've been in the league.

The defense as a whole played lights out, especially against and offense that put up 460 yards the game prior. So much fun to watch this group. It's a shame they had to be on field for so much of the game, often in bad field positions.

OFFENSE:

Injuries plague us so much. The O-line did what they could with what they had. Wasn't horrible for what was there, wasn't great. They gave Kirk time to throw on some plays and not much time on others. Not much you can say there. It was OK for who was playing.

Our run game was pretty bad. We haven't drafted a RB in the first few rounds since..Alfred Morris? We don't invest in our run game so why would we expect it to be good? It is what it is, especially given our O-Line's status. It was mediocre at best, but at least Fat Rob is doing what he can. You can tell he tries hard, and hey..he got us two Touchdowns despite the circumstances they were gained.

Kirk won the game. You can't take that away from him. He made the final drive that got us the score that won it. He's our QB for the time being and I support and love him, even if I get frustrated at times. That being said, while he had a great final drive and did the only thing that matters, winning, it wasn't a great game for him. Two drives in the good to great category, a bunch in the bad to awful category. That has to change. By play calling, by trusting recievers, by not taking sacks when he has time to throw it away or dump it off, it has to change. You can't expect for our offense to disappear for 3+ quarters and have our defense just hold the entire time every game. It won't happen. My fear is they go 'man well we won the game so hey, we don't have to change much!' Which is nearly the worst thing that can come out of this. That was overall a bad performance by the offense. They need to fix things and fix them fast.

I'm so hopeful though. I've said it before and I'll say it again.. we are on the uptrend. Doctson will get more chances, Kirk will (hopefully) start opening it up more, PRYOR MADE A CATCH!.. Allen and Ioannidis can come back and bolster this already stud defense. Keep your heads up, the season is not over.

3 minutes ago, skins_biz93 said:

Our run game was pretty bad. We haven't drafted a RB in the first few rounds since..Alfred Morris? We don't invest in our run game so why would we expect it to be good? It is what it is, especially given our O-Line's status. It was mediocre at best, but at least Fat Rob is doing what he can. You can tell he tries hard, and hey..he got us two Touchdowns despite the circumstances they were gained.

I can't give the running game too much flak right now, because of how decimated the o-line is.

Some of the guys playing today weren't even on the team a couple of weeks ago.

The rush game will suffer because of it.

Archived