Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(NY Times) ESPN Suspends Jemele Hill For Two Weeks

DM72

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

What do you mean? 

Meaning to many people apparently the point of being in America is to be happy you aint in a 3rd world country and if you dont like that then you can get the hell out. 

(i agree with you though, if thats not clear) 

8 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

Drug Abuse, globalization and environmental destruction, nuclear tensions, climate effect and recent disasters... The little stuff.

There are far more protective measures in almost EVERY institutionin this country to protect against those biases than not. Sorry, it's recognized and addressed.

Again, not to say there isn't room for improvement. But you certainly are exaggerating with some of those semantics. Fact

No, he didn't exaggerate a damn thing. Exactly what has been recognized and addressed? The 900k victims of false arrest in NY, or the families who watch an ex-officer get off scot free after murdering their family member, then go on to work at a different PD a few counties away? There are next to zero protective measures against that. Maybe you should do a little research on the topic before addressing what the protest has been about. 

Would she have been suspended if her opinion didn't conflict w the role they wanted her to play, the minority (and woman to boot) who condemns people protesting the unfair treatment of minorities? Would she have been suspended if she was was a white male who happened to think the protests are reasonable?

I keep thinking Disney/ESPN wanted her to be the token minority defender of the status quo, like the black guy at Trump rallies to show there it wasn't only White men thinking the protests are distasteful. 

It seems the corporate equivalent of the "I know this black person who thinks everything is fine." Then the company gets upset the one they thought would speak up for them speaks her mind instead. 

9 minutes ago, gbear said:

Would she have been suspended if her opinion didn't conflict w the role they wanted her to play, the minority (and woman to boot) who condemns people protesting the unfair treatment of minorities? Would she have been suspended if she was was a white male who happened to think the protests are reasonable?

I keep thinking Disney/ESPN wanted her to be the token minority defender of the status quo, like the black guy at Trump rallies to show there it wasn't only White men thinking the protests are distasteful. 

It seems the corporate equivalent of the "I know this black person who thinks everything is fine." Then the company gets upset the one they thought would speak up for them speaks her mind instead. 

Not Jemele Hill. She's always been outspoken and she's always been down for the cause. I respect her more than most because she has never been afraid to speak up.

25 minutes ago, DM72 said:

Not Jemele Hill. She's always been outspoken and she's always been down for the cause. I respect her more than most because she has never been afraid to speak up.

And I think that's the key point. 

As some of you old time ESers may remember, I got my start in NPR writing Op-eds and commentaries. My job there was to be opinionated and factually correct. Both were extremely important. Along the way, I started filing news stories. Once, that became a thing, my boss started rejecting commentaries. It got to a point where I got so frustrated I asked why and he said that he didn't want to blur my role. A reporter needs to be objective while a commentator needs to be opinionated. I disagreed with him saying that the audience was smart enough to get the difference, but he was the boss and so he won. On his show, I only filed reports.

Fast forward to Jemele Hill. I don't think she was hired to be a pure reporter. Her job wasn't to be a Dragnet "Just the facts, ma'am" cover girl. That wasn't her job description. ESPN's hosts are muckrakers and commentators. They're job is to have opinions and state them. Now, there is a gray line where the comments you make ought not damage the reputation of your outlet and ESPN is the sole judge of that, but I think they erred here. Her statement was not violent, crude, obscene, or outrageous enough to warrant suspension in my book. You can't hire someone to be opinionated and then be mad because they are... Well, actually you can and it probably happens more often than we think. For example, FOX analysts have to only hold and express a certain viewpoint if they want their contracts renewed.

Ultimately, what we are reacting to is something ESPN probably had the legal ability to do, but what feels like a moral wrong. We want, well I want, our media members to be checks against corruption. To do that, they need a certain degree of latitude to cause friction and discomfort to the mainstream and our institutions. Now, some of you may be thinking that I'm holding ESPN to too high a journalistic standard, but I think the standard should always be high. You trip more often when you lower the bar.

Just now, gbear said:

I'd imagine it was the boycott part, she has probably espoused the other many times.

Don't watch espn so I'm guessing.

3 hours ago, Gamebreaker said:

No, he didn't exaggerate a damn thing. Exactly what has been recognized and addressed? The 900k victims of false arrest in NY, or the families who watch an ex-officer get off scot free after murdering their family member, then go on to work at a different PD a few counties away? There are next to zero protective measures against that. Maybe you should do a little research on the topic before addressing what the protest has been about. 

So this is the cycle because I can cite the same research for you to do... And yes, his statement was exaggerated. 

3 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

So this is the cycle because I can cite the same research for you to do... And yes, his statement was exaggerated. 

I’ve done my research, that’s why I responded to you. And you are simply repeating yourself in the hopes that if you keep saying something enough times it will become true. 

15 hours ago, Gamebreaker said:

While unacceptable, this has nothing to do with the NFL.  Suddenly Hill calls for the boycott of NFL sponsors.  Not sure how this will help those 900k victims.  The NFL, while sympathetic, has basically told the players to express their politics on their own time.  Certainly a reasonable request from an employer to an employee.  At that point the employee has a choice. Not to stand or sit, but to stay or go. 

I know this is somewhat of an old story in internet age but since it's on the first page,

Jemele Hill is a walking quota for Disney/ESPN.

I'm not going to apologize for thinking so. I've seen a lot of her and Michael's work, from Numbers Never Lie to His and Hers and some of the SC6 but I'm kinda done with ESPN in general. Jemele can't expect to pop off at the (Twitter) mouth about the President, regardless of how much truth there was to her statements, get warned and then basically make it super awkward fighting for social justice. She ,rightly or wrongly, alienated swatches of viewers to the network which has direct business ties to the NFL and the owners. Those two 'incidents' were just too close together.

HIll isn't TERRIBLE at her job but she ain't all that good at it either. Any number of sports journalists who have put in the hard work and dedication she has can do her job, probably much better to boot. Even I, a lowly patron of sports, can write better material than her crap that got her to the top, some of which was racist in roots anyway.

Before the outraged white knights come in her calling me a misogynist meathead, I think very highly of a number of women ESPN employs and they do an EXCELLENT job, namely Linda Cohn, Doris Burke, Jackie McMullan and Ramona Shelbourne, who should be getting better opps, maybe even Jemele's seat. Slas, ESPN can advocate for all kinds of diversity quotas but god forbid a heavy-set unatractive NBA Reporter be given a more suitable platform..

NOBODY is worse than Max Kellerman though. NOBODY

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

She did what they asked her to do, then got mad when she did it. 

They never shoulda stopped doing His and Hers, where they were appreciated.  Once she got on Sportscenter, there was a whole demo that didnt know what to do with her and Michael Smith.  The same folks that H&H appealed to werent the ones that SC6 was trying to appeal to.  The whole thing was a miscalculation. 

18 minutes ago, justice98 said:

They never shoulda stopped doing His and Hers, where they were appreciated.  Once she got on Sportscenter, there was a whole demo that didnt know what to do with her and Michael Smith.  The same folks that H&H appealed to werent the ones that SC6 was trying to appeal to.  The whole thing was a miscalculation. 

Indeed

ESPN has no idea what they were doing and were trying to cling to a new more diverse audience. They never had conviction to go all the way with what that means.

ESPN and Jemele will be fine.

32 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I think this is a good summary.  I liked her and Michael Smith together, they have a good chemistry.  But the whole mixing of pop culture just seemed so forced and contrived.  On the 6pm sportscenter, I just wanted to see news and highlights.  It'd have been good if they gave them a show at 7 or so to follow Sportscenter.

She wants her political opinion to be heard ? 

Yet ESPN denies wanting to be in politics ? 

Yeah, right. 

Only one way I agree with that... you ( ESPN ) stop doing it. 

Being always honest is a double edged sword...being rarely dishonest makes some folks interested...to debate, even in victory...they lose and you win. 

Problem with her is... she's is not always honest. 

Archived