Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(NY Times) ESPN Suspends Jemele Hill For Two Weeks

DM72

7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I think espn would be best served to stay out of politics and stick to sports.  I changed the local news this morning because of the Pence debacle, then I changed Sportscenter for the same thing.

"stick to sports" is completely impossible in this climate

its an unrealistic expectation

23 minutes ago, tshile said:

You use your position at an NFL partner to suggest boycotting a marquee franchise, this is what happens. Pretty simple.

All about the money, money, money...

They tried to boycott our name.  I did a street food thing Saturday, the lady right across from us was selling hand-made, double-stitched aprons...AND THERE WAS A REDSKINS ONE.  ....the guys I was working with were yelling, "Mary, a Skins apron!"  I went & talked to her, we exchanged cards, I know which nice jersey lady I wanna hook her up with for better sales.  Other ladies walked over, one a very happy Redskins fan, we talked about the "name-change" debate, and I didn't think she'd ever stop laughing when I said, "It's either a football team or a potato!"

Should I be banned from my job because it allows me to talk & develop regular guests? 

5 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

It's like that old saying. Whether or not you want to choose a side, sometimes the side chooses you

They were forced to come out from under the shroud, and reveal the dollar signs in their eyes

@skinsmarydu

If your job specifically told you not to do that, for whatever reason, and you did it anyways... then sure, if the interests you jeopardize are more valuable than you. It's their decision

Contrary to 'common sense', first amendment doesn't protect you from your employer. 

I'm not saying I like it, just that it's pretty cut and dry. The Cowboys (and nfl on general) are way more valuable to ESPN than Hill.

1 minute ago, twa said:

Mechanics know nothing, weather is not climate. 

Bodymen know things....and drink.

I had learned all I needed to know about bodymen ---or "painters" as so many used to like to call themselves---or bondomen, a more accurate for some---by the time I was thirteen, and had already served seven years at my crazy dangerous racist uncle's yuge body (and mechanic) shop in anchorage. I was field trained to handle miscreants like youse long before I was institutionally sanctioned to do so. But do not let me near any power tools. I will ruin your world. Devastation and loss.

Just now, tshile said:

@skinsmarydu

If your job specifically told you not to do that, for whatever reason, and you did it anyways... then sure, if the interests you jeopardize are more valuable than you. It's their decision

Contrary to 'common sense', first amendment doesn't protect you from your employer. 

I'm not saying I like it, just that it's pretty cut and dry. The Cowboys (and nfl on general) are way more valuable to ESPN than Hill.

Sorry, I was just ranting.  Not against you at all.  Just more that football is political...and it's my one afternoon away from things....it used to be, anyway. 

10 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Its not unreasonable.  They don’t have to cover Pence’s stunt.  Has nothing to do with the sport.  They don’t have to cover players kneeling.

Now they will cover all that stuff.  It gets ratings.  It’s a shameful way to get ratings though.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

It's like that old saying. Whether or not you want to choose a side, sometimes the side chooses you

They were forced to come out from under the shroud, and reveal the dollar signs in their eyes

i wish to **** you'd stay on topic

i'm trying to talk about the kinds of guys who do body work on cars

5 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Sorry, I was just ranting.  Not against you at all.  Just more that football is political...and it's my one afternoon away from things....it used to be, anyway. 

Same here. People roll their eyes when you say that or mock you with quips they think are witty, but for some of us it was true. A nice little escape for a few hours. 

I never cared about the kneeling, the bull**** around it is annoying.

I just watch golf now. None of that bull**** is there. Just have to deal with the 'omg tiger hit a pitch in his back yard dude is jacked' stuff every few months :)

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

I just watch golf now. None of that bull**** is there. Just have to deal with the 'omg tiger hit a pitch in his back yard dude is jacked' stuff every few months :)

100% chance that if golf were as popular as football there would be a MAJOR political action around it.

2 minutes ago, zoony said:

Suspended for poor ratings would have been a better reason

Because they’re a bunch of lib cucks 

6 minutes ago, Springfield said:

100% chance that if golf were as popular as football there would be a MAJOR political action around it.

Then I hope it never becomes as popular

I already can't follow politics anymore because it's annoying to do so. Football as much so right now.

It'll go away eventually.

2 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Innocuous tweet by Hill, but ESPN has been waiting for a reason to suspend her. 

Tinfoil hat theory...Jerry Jones got in the ears of some higher ups at ESPN. 

Or their own lawyers.  Consistency trumps all with employee discipline.  Otherwise youre left open to tremendous liability

3 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Innocuous tweet by Hill, but ESPN has been waiting for a reason to suspend her. 

Tinfoil hat theory...Jerry Jones got in the ears of some higher ups at ESPN. 

Not really much tinfoil there. We know they and other networks trip over themselves to promote that brand

8 minutes ago, tshile said:

Why was espn waiting for a reason?

I thought she did well there?

I was never impressed with her but I haven't given her enough time to be fair about it

She created quite the uproar a couple weeks back with her comments on 45.  IIRC, ESPN has suspended other personalities for their political musings, but Hill went relatively unscathed the first time around - aside from the social media backlash. 

16 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Not really much tinfoil there. We know they and other networks trip over themselves to promote that brand

There's no way they suspend Stephen A or Max Kellerman or SVP just for calling a boycott of Cowboys sponsors. 

They were looking for a reason to suspend her.

Just now, RonArtest15 said:

She created quite the uproar a couple weeks back with her comments on 45.  IIRC, ESPN has suspended other personalities for their political musings, but Hill went relatively unscathed the first time around - aside from the social media backlash. 

Yeah I remember that. Is that it? I figured there was something else.

22 minutes ago, DM72 said:

There's no way they suspend Stephen A or Max Kellerman or SVP just for calling a boycott of Cowboys sponsors. 

They were looking for a reason to suspend her.

That's not what I meant. Thinking Jerry has major pull with these networks, and can get them to do what he wants, is not a wild concept at all. I actually think it is a given

Archived