Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(NY Times) ESPN Suspends Jemele Hill For Two Weeks

DM72

2 hours ago, tshile said:

Espn is not a newsroom. They haven't been for a long time. 

Heck, I wasn't sure my newsroom was always a newsroom. Internally, I think we fought as we could to make it one though. Probably part of the reason they ultimately shut us down. We had too much damn integrity.

8 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

That's not what I meant. Thinking Jerry has major pull with these networks, and can get them to do what he wants, is not a wild concept at all. I actually think it is a given

It's not just Jerry. ESPN has a multi billion dollar investment in the NFL and shares the same sponsors. It's quite obvious that Hill is baiting ESPN to fire her so she can collect a huge parting settlement and move on to another network more supportive ($) of her idealology. 

1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

It's not just Jerry. ESPN has a multi billion dollar investment in the NFL and shares the same sponsors. It's quite obvious that Hill is baiting ESPN to fire her so she can collect a huge parting settlement and move on to another network more supportive ($) of her idealology. 

It's only obvious if you've already made up your mind it's obvious.

My opinion, since everybody gets one nowadays and MUST be heard or tears will be shed.

There are far greater epidemics out there than social injustice. I respect it and recognize it, but keep it in perspective. 

But the anthem protest is becoming a personification of millennial lack of integrity and substance. I've stood by the idea that anyone has the right to protest the anthem. But, I firmly believe whatever you protest that is wrong with this country, the 2 minutes you should not protest is the anthem. Respect the country that gives you the right to even have a voice. 

So, for media to ask for boycotts against those that oppose the move is contradictory and hypocritical. Jemele put out her beliefs to a point of asking people to financially attack a professional sports organization. THAT'S WRONG.

What Jerry Jones does is his right as an owner. 

I voted for Obama 2X in hopes of social reform, he let me down to say the least. But, in a time of great worldwide racial and religious tension, this country elected an African American with a Muslim name. By and large, we're a pretty liberal country. Further, no civilization in the history of MANKIND has been more socially just than this country.

Not to say we're perfect. But everything that is wrong with this country can be fixed with everything that is right. At some point, move the protest off the anthem. But not to say don't continue it

My $0.02

53 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

The reverse can also be true.  But to believe that, you would have to ignore the money aspect.  And no one is that naive.

Yeah sorry for being so naive. It's very obvious that Hill is figuratively twirling her mustache to collect a big civil settlement. I should have noticed how obvious that was

7 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

There are far greater epidemics out there than social injustice. I respect it and recognize it, but keep it in perspective. 

My $0.02

For curiosity, what are these greater epidemics? I'd think if you were a minority and you perceived a systematic bias against your people leading to a prison state, physical abuse by the institutions designed to protect us, and all but a free pass for any officer who shoots a minority citizen for whatever reason or no reason... then that would certainly top their list.

14 minutes ago, Burgold said:

For curiosity, what are these greater epidemics? I'd think if you were a minority and you perceived a systematic bias against your people leading to a prison state, physical abuse by the institutions designed to protect us, and all but a free pass for any officer who shoots a minority citizen for whatever reason or no reason... then that would certainly top their list.

Drug Abuse, globalization and environmental destruction, nuclear tensions, climate effect and recent disasters... The little stuff.

There are far more protective measures in almost EVERY institutionin this country to protect against those biases than not. Sorry, it's recognized and addressed.

Again, not to say there isn't room for improvement. But you certainly are exaggerating with some of those semantics. Fact

15 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I need this translated.

they signed bad TV deals which lead to the layoffs earlier this year.

ESPN doesnt care about their talent.

She probably should not have said this, but it was not a strong statement at all. ESPN is a lost network. She was hired to be opinionated, and then they said, "do not be opinionated."

Meanwhile Will Cain is allowed to be racist on air and nothing happens.

9 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

So, for media to ask for boycotts against those that oppose the move is contradictory and hypocritical. The President put out her beliefs to a point of asking people to financially attack a professional sports organization. THAT'S WRONG.

Still wrong or is that ok? Cause this is how it started if you remember. 

9 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

no civilization in the history of MANKIND has been more socially just than this country.

I can see why you would say that but it can be argued. And even if it couldn't im not sure it matters. Just because the USA has been good in that regard does not mean it cant and shouldn't be better. That's pretty much the point of having the ability to protest here (which is what makes us so much better than every civilization in mankind I bet) 

12 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

"stick to sports" is completely impossible in this climate

its an unrealistic expectation

especially when the president and vice president have decided to play the culture war based on sports.

This "stick to sports" stuff is such nonsense and has always been nonsense considering the history of these sports and the figures we lionize.

11 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

That's not what I meant. Thinking Jerry has major pull with these networks, and can get them to do what he wants, is not a wild concept at all. I actually think it is a given

He is the head of the NFL television committee.

Anyone thinking that clown has no pull is needs to pay attention.

“There has been no oppression in the last 100 years that I know of. Now maybe I’m not watching it as carefully as other people,” Ditka said.

Ditka added that professional athletes have an obligation to "respect the game," and he would bench players who kneel during the anthem if he was still coaching.

“I don’t care who you are, or how much money you make, if you don’t respect our country, then you shouldn’t be in this country playing football. Go to another country and play football. If you had to go to somewhere else and try to play this sport, you wouldn’t have a job," he said.

“If you can’t respect the flag and this country, then you don’t respect what this is all about. So I would say: Adios.”

Ditka said this on last night.

Unreal.

When you're already essentially on probation, you shoulda let that one pass.  The heat from the last thing is barely cool.  

16 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Who else has been that critical of the NFL?

Bill Simmons is long gone, but once upon a time he got suspended for speaking his mind about Goddell.  I suspect most people learned from history.  Jemele, not so much.  She seems determined to get her takes off on Twitter.  

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

Yeah sorry for being so naive. It's very obvious that Hill is figuratively twirling her mustache to collect a big civil settlement. I should have noticed how obvious that was

No secret her show is tanking,  No secret she will need another job soon. If she drives her rhetoric home, she sets up her next gig, and also puts ESPN on the defensive to pay her well so all is good.  The writing on the wall is rather large here.

24 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Unreal.

You cant be surprised by this. Guarantee Ditka is wearing confederate flag underwear right now. 

And we pretty much had someone in this thread say that racism has been 'addressed' already so I cant be shocked that Ditka of all people would believe something like that either. 

19 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Unreal.

This is Trump's America.  He's led us to a place where this kind of repulsive, ignorant dog-whistling is OK to say.  Publicly.  With no fear of reprisal.

Step 2 is for Ditka and anyone who defends him to claim that his comments had nothing to do with race despite the fact that the people he was telling to shut the **** up are black men protesting explicitly about the injustice they face in our criminal justice system because they are black.

I thought we lived in a country where it is ghastly to essentially tell persons of color to shut up and know their place.  Nope.  It is now abundantly clear that is not the case.

This racial conflict is kind of like climate change and the national debt.  It's something that we put off dealing with for generations and now it's dealing with us.

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

She probably should not have said this, but it was not a strong statement at all. ESPN is a lost network. She was hired to be opinionated, and then they said, "do not be opinionated."

Meanwhile Will Cain is allowed to be racist on air and nothing happens.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This racial conflict is kind of like climate change and the national debt.  It's something that we put off dealing with for generations and now it's dealing with us.

Its not going to get better. No one with any power cares. The President, the GOP, the Dems, hell even the majority of the population doesn't really give a rats ass. Evolution will solve it in time. in 200 years everyone is going to be varying shades of brown and there is nothing anyone can do about that. Im doing my part lol

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Its not going to get better. No one with any power cares. The President, the GOP, the Dems, hell even the majority of the population doesn't really give a rats ass. Evolution will solve it in time. in 200 years everyone is going to be varying shades of brown and there is nothing anyone can do about that. Im doing my part lol

I've been helping sow the seeds of racial justice since the age of 14.

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Unreal.

That's disgusting and ignorant. He's an embarrassment. 

I honestly want to see the Cowboys players unite together and all kneel to see what Jones does. He won't forfeit, so he'll be forced to look like a hypocrite. Every player in the league has the right to do whatever the **** he wants to do during the national anthem. That's kind of the whole point of living in this country. 

Archived