Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Harvey Weinstein, Fired Amongst Sexual Harassment Allegations

Spaceman Spiff

31 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

In a day and age where everyone's offended and everyone needs to complain, that's not surprising.  Al Michael's joke was in poor taste and dumb but it's not like he said that the Giants had a tougher week than one of Harvey Weinstein's VICTIMS.  That'd be a lot worse and have more reason for a complaint, imo.

Take it for what it's worth at the surface level.  The Giants had a terrible week, have been falling from grace and so has Harvey Weinstein.  That's as probably far as he thought it through.  

Right, being offended means i'm relevant. If someone puts their thumb up or 'hearts' me, i am validated.

and i need that because i am needy, and because i am needy, i must make sure that anyone who is in any position above me has to be reminded that they aren't better than me.

Even if they are.

~Modern Humanity

Edited by Bang

34 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I was watching when the joke was made and laughed.  And knew there would be an apology shortly after.  I am still always shocked at how easily people get butt hurt.

People love to feel fake outrage. Both sides of the aisle play it well. Like you, laughed, and realized he'd have to apologize. Hope he doesn't get sacked, because the offended mob may be coming. 

4 hours ago, ixcuincle said:
During the football game al Michaels said the giants had a tougher week than Harvey weinstein. A lot of people took to social media to complain. 

The odd thing is sexual assault has been referenced before... And a lot more strongly than what Michaels did. Honestly I don't think what he said was that bad but people are going to blow it up. I mean did you see Chappelle and Jim Jeffries stand up? Bill Cosby is repeatedly referenced. Is that offensive or insensitive?

Thats stupid. I dont like this side of America. I feel like we are just petty to be petty. There is no reason he should have had to apologize for saying something like that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I was watching when the joke was made and laughed.  And knew there would be an apology shortly after.  I am still always shocked at how easily people get butt hurt.

2 hours ago, Busch1724 said:

People love to feel fake outrage. Both sides of the aisle play it well. Like you, laughed, and realized he'd have to apologize. Hope he doesn't get sacked, because the offended mob may be coming. 

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Thats stupid. I dont like this side of America. I feel like we are just petty to be petty. There is no reason he should have had to apologize for saying something like that. 

I saw on the news that a website selling Ann Frank costumes for Halloween got a huge backlash.  The website apparently advertised it a costume that depicts a brave, courageous young woman, but people still said it was insensitive.  The website took the picture down, but is still selling the costume.

I know it's not nearly the same, but it sort of goes along with what you guys are saying.

The Al Michaels incident was him trying to equate the crap Harvey Weinstein did to the Giants losing. I don't know why a few of you can't see why people would be upset over that. Especially since he was probably sitting on that line and waiting for the "right moment" to say it.

I am also not surprised Bob Weinstein has some skeletons. His condemnation sounded like Ben Affleck's condemnation even though they were all in the same circle and allowed it to happen. We literally have Affleck on TV sexually harassing someone which he didn't care about.

This culture is pervasive in all society.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

The Al Michaels incident was him trying to equate the crap Harvey Weinstein did to the Giants losing. I don't know why a few of you can't see why people would be upset over that. Especially since he was probably sitting on that line and waiting for the "right moment" to say it.

Wait. Are you actually being serious?  He. Was. Making. A. Joke. 

Not even the National Organization for Women believe Michael was equating the two. 

Please tell me YOU are joking.

On 10/16/2017 at 12:16 PM, pjfootballer said:

I saw on the news that a website selling Ann Frank costumes for Halloween got a huge backlash.  The website apparently advertised it a costume that depicts a brave, courageous young woman, but people still said it was insensitive.  The website took the picture down, but is still selling the costume.

I know it's not nearly the same, but it sort of goes along with what you guys are saying.

I am not sure what you are saying? Is it okay for us to wear Halloween costumes of someone who was a victim of a horrific crime?

17 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Not even the National Organization for Women believe Michael was equating the two. 

And what I am saying is I get why people would be offended. 

I also am not sure if NOW is the voice for all women either, so I genuinely don't care.

27 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Nope.  Along with the travel ban, they'll soon enact the joking ban.

Ooh, did I just mess up and make a joke?  My bad. I apologize.

• Haha 1

The joke didn't equate losing football games to sexual assault.  The absurdity of the comparison is what makes it a joke.  If you replace Weinstein in the joke with something that does equate to the giants losing streak it ceases to be a joke.  "The giants had a tougher week than the 49ers."  See, not a joke anymore.  If anything the joke is mocking how ridiculous the despair surrounding the giants losing streak is in the greater scheme of things.

• Like 1

The lesson here isn't about democrats or republicans, it's that predatory behavior is prevalent amongst powerful men.  Probably best not to trust them.  :)

5 minutes ago, twa said:

some people have no sense of humor.

You forgot the smilie old man.  Learn the language or stay off the internet.  

• Haha 3

Just now, Destino said:

The lesson here isn't about democrats or republicans, it's that predatory behavior is prevalent amongst powerful men.  Probably best not to trust them.  :)

You forgot the smilie old man.  Learn the language or stay off the internet.  

I thought the who ya gotta grope line would do.

:drooley:

On 10/18/2017 at 10:42 AM, Dan T. said:

You cant make jokes anymore. Intent no longer matters. The audience gets to decide what you mean, then beat you over the head for meaning it.

I got what Al was saying and thought at the time maybe it was a bit of bad timing.What gave me pause about Al's joke,was the reaction at the joke from a woman I know who was raped in her younger years. She was unhappy,(understatement),and stated that Al's joke was one reason why the issue of sexual assault wasn't taken as seriously for many years in the public eye. No response from me on that one. What the hell do I know about that? Anyway. Al apologized and that's that. 

• Like 3