Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Confidence I Haven't Had in 25 Years

kleese

14 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Why, as a consumer, should one continuously support a routinely subpar and inept product?

Because for the past 30 years, we have been subpar and inept, but this year it's going to be different. This time it will be competitively inept.

14 minutes ago, Bacon said:

There are no healthy bodies out there right now. I want to be furious, but with what and whom, exactly? This is a shadow of the team we should be fielding. 

Its amusing to me that people still get worked up over Redskins games. I mean we had like half our team out today. WTF do people expect?

5 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Because for the past 30 years, we have been subpar and inept, but this year it's going to be different. This time it will be competitively inept.

Exactly. When you say what we've all been doing out loud, we all sound like the people who will give every cent to one of those "Get rich from home/Jesus needs your money" guys, and on the last penny, after they've run away calling you a sucker, you smile and say "Yep, I think it's really gonna work out for me this time" :ols:

I really don't know what's keeping me around, bit I don't blame anyone else that's had enough of giving their hard earned money and time to this franchise, and getting nothing back but a middle finger

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its amusing to me that people still get worked up over Redskins games. I mean we had like half our team out today. WTF do people expect?

There are some REALLY crazy redskins fans, myself included. I definitely thought leading up to the game that we’d win, even with all the injuries. As for next week, yeah even I’M not that crazy to think we’ll have even a slight chance ??

3 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

Three things are always certain:

Death

Taxes

Losing to Dallas

They literally own us. But hey, I’m not mad. I’ve come to grips with it. It’s the way the universe is. 

Yes we only beat them in the games that REALLY matter, which is something I guess. But just normal games? Forget about it. 

15 minutes ago, dyst said:

At least they gave us hope into October. Usually it’s over in September.

That just made laugh out loud. 

Thanks man. BADLY needed some fun this Sunday night. 

30 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Now I'm laughing hard. 

Hail. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

This thread is a reminder that kleese has the reverse Midas: goes to a game, Skins lose, and now maybe he should refrain from posting optimistic threads, too.

not that i care much, I've seen maybe one full game's worth of quarters this year.

A ghost sighting. Oh man. Good to see you buddy 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

This thread is a reminder that kleese has the reverse Midas: goes to a game, Skins lose, and now maybe he should refrain from posting optimistic threads, too.

not that i care much, I've seen maybe one full game's worth of quarters this year.

Was thinking that maybe I'd turned a corner. I came into this one a three game personal winning streak including 2-0 last year. But alas...

Two more to go this year, Good Lord no O'fer please....

7 minutes ago, rdskn4eva said:

Ive been watching the redskins for a long time...I never seen this many KEY injuries to a football team in my life.  Every week its a MASH unit.

I can't quite recall anything like it either. What happened to the OL this week/today is ridiculous.

I’m pretty confident alright...pretty confident we’ll be absolutely destroyed by the Seahawks next weekend :( 

I guess the only thing that has me a little optomistic about it, is that since 2000, we haven’t lost a game in Seattle that wasn’t a playoff game. 

2002: W 14-3

2008: W 20-17

2011: W 23-17

and in the 2000’s so far, in regular season games against Seattle (Home or away), I believe they’ve only won 1 of those, a Monday night game in 2014. 

19 hours ago, Bacon said:

There are no healthy bodies out there right now. I want to be furious, but with what and whom, exactly? This is a shadow of the team we should be fielding. 

Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen.  They failed to field a team that could handle injuries. They field a team that was worse than last year, in some areas.

5 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen.  They failed to field a team that could handle injuries. They field a team that was worse than last year, in some areas.

That is nonsense. Plenty of legit reasons to criticize those two but this isn't one of them. No FO in the NFL could possibly account/prepare for the volume of injuries we've had this year.  Without question every FO must assume a certain level of injuries will take place and have a reasonable level of depth/options. But no team in the league really has true "depth" anymore and the Patriots are the only organization that seems to always be able to overcome-- and that has a lot to do with the fact that they also have the best QB (arguably I guess) of all time at the helm. 

Every team will have guys miss time and most teams will probably have at least one key contribute suffer a serious/season ending type injury. But the the combo of volume and serious for the Redskins this year is off the charts. That particular issue is just bad luck. 

5 hours ago, dyst said:

I’m almost certain we won’t make the playoffs, given everything. In which case, I’m inclined to just rest the injured, give it your all but hope to lose out and get a better draft pick. 

You can't punt 9 games in a row to end the season. Especially when you will be mathematically alive until your 8th loss. If we rest everyone who is hobbled we will not field a team this week. And you are totally screwing over the guys that ARE healthy and still want to try and win. The guys that are able are likely going to have to suck it up and do their best. 

2 hours ago, kleese said:

That is nonsense. Plenty of legit reasons to criticize those two but this isn't one of them. No FO in the NFL could possibly account/prepare for the volume of injuries we've had this year.  Without question every FO must assume a certain level of injuries will take place and have a reasonable level of depth/options. But no team in the league really has true "depth" anymore and the Patriots are the only organization that seems to always be able to overcome-- and that has a lot to do with the fact that they also have the best QB (arguably I guess) of all time at the helm. 

Every team will have guys miss time and most teams will probably have at least one key contribute suffer a serious/season ending type injury. But the the combo of volume and serious for the Redskins this year is off the charts. That particular issue is just bad luck. 

You can't punt 9 games in a row to end the season. Especially when you will be mathematically alive until your 8th loss. If we rest everyone who is hobbled we will not field a team this week. And you are totally screwing over the guys that ARE healthy and still want to try and win. The guys that are able are likely going to have to suck it up and do their best. 

I guess we can try to win 7 or 8 games, miss the playoffs again and then get another mid round pick and repeat again next year (I hope I’m so ****ing wrong and we actually surprise the world)

This season is over and the team has a few obvious holes.  But I still think this team is better than last year and it's a shame injuries have gutted them before they had the chance.  I have not forgotten how pathetic that defense was last year. Every team gutted them with the run and they couldn't tackle worth a damn.  Posters are getting all bent out of shape at the Dalas game while failing to acknowledge that with the best OL and a top 2 RB Dalls does that to most every team.  And with the loss of Allen, Ionidas during the game and Mason Foster (who was really good this year) that has to be factored in.  This defense when healthy was in fact bad ass.  If they retain Kirk, find a RB (not hard to do) find a legit WR (much harder), develop last year's top pick who has a ton of upside and find a LG they are a pretty good team

A game like we saw yesterday was the confidence I was talking about back when I started this thread after KC. That Chiefs game, in the first half, BEFORE our DBs started dropping like flies, I thought our defense was just tenacious. Getting stops AND laying people out. As that game wore on, we felt the sting of missing guys (especially Norman) and it hurt us, but I felt we continued to pop people and fly to the football. And this isn't JUST about heart-- it's about talent too. And what I saw that night is a team that not only played their guts out, but a team that had legitimate depth/talent. The likes of which we haven't seen around here in a long time.

So now we sit at 4-4, which may look "meh" to some, but given the circumstances, I remain pleased with our progress. Our schedule has been brutal and our injuries have been worse. And prior to yesterday I felt the in-game breaks were also going against us. Finally yesterday we got some nice things to go our way. Still a half a season to go-- the season could still spiral down; but I do not EXPECT that to happen. The reason I don't expect that is not due to blind homerism, but due to the opposite-- I have sight. I have watched this team for two and a half years now and I see ZERO reason to expect them to fall over themselves. That isn't who they have been. This is absolutely not the same ole Redskins. I haven't seen Redskins like this in a long, long time. For those that see them as same ole same ole, I simply do not understand what you are seeing or what years/era/regime you are comparing them to. Now, it's very possible we go 4-4 in the second half to finish at 8/9 wins for the third year in a row-- and I know for many that isn't good enough. And at that point I suppose it simply becomes a matter of personal expectation and what it takes for you to thoroughly enjoy the team/season. There is no right or wrong answer there. But for me, I'm at the very least, content with what I see.

Archived