Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Confidence I Haven't Had in 25 Years

kleese

3 hours ago, campbellcooleyconnection said:

Wish they would have gotten something for Pryor don't think he was even targeted once today, just a waste.

Yeah it sucks, but at least we have some youth. Slowly building up our weaknesses. Rb and wr need to be addressed, and a speed rusher and some safety depth. 

I had faith in pryor, he has majorly failed his audition contract. Hey Zach Brown worked out though. 

This team is pretty solid. We just aren't good enough to fall down in the end zone (4 points), miss open WRs in the end zone (7 points), and put up NO FIGHT against Case Keenum for more than a half (countless points) when we play good teams. We have only lost to very impressive teams this year, but we need another half-step up to start beating good teams. 

Every few years- we get a team that rises above our low expectations.  Three first place finishes since 1999 when Daniel Snyder bought the team.  We fans buy into the hype that's dished out by the local media that's infiltrated with former Ashburn employees and the owner's owned Radio Station.  After the Seahawks win - expectations and excitement were as high as they've been in a long time. Now the media will tell us that we're still in it and if we beat the Saints.....  

1 hour ago, celticsalmon said:

Every few years- we get a team that rises above our low expectations.  Three first place finishes since 1999 when Daniel Snyder bought the team.  We fans buy into the hype that's dished out by the local media that's infiltrated with former Ashburn employees and the owner's owned Radio Station.  After the Seahawks win - expectations and excitement were as high as they've been in a long time. Now the media will tell us that we're still in it and if we beat the Saints.....  

Not sure who you are listening to. Cooley and Kevin were very very down on the Redskins heading into Seattle. Much like the ridiculous 42-0 predictions people were making on here, there wasn't a lot of logic applied. And then all week Cooley said he thought Minnesota was a top 4 team in league and hinted at trouble. He specifically mentioned Theilen killing us and said he believes he is a top 10 WR in the NFL. I didn't hear them dishing out Kool Aid at all. 

I am not fooled by anything. I am sometimes wrong (maybe more than sometimes) but it's based on my own observations and levels of expectation. 

The team has made baby steps but it makes me sad to see all these other teams rebuild in 1-2 years with new coaches and FO staff (Jags, Rams, Eagles) while we continue to be mediocre or bad. 

I have this awful feeling about the 2018 draft. Now that Bruce is back in charge of player personnel I fear the worst going forward. Couple that with the strong possibility that Kirk will probably walk after this year. :(

Tough to be a fan of this team; just when you think you see a light at the end of the tunnel (McLoughan's culture) it turns out to be a freight train (Snyder/Allen). 

5 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

The team has made baby steps but it makes me sad to see all these other teams rebuild in 1-2 years with new coaches and FO staff (Jags, Rams, Eagles) while we continue to be mediocre or bad. 

I have this awful feeling about the 2018 draft. Now that Bruce is back in charge of player personnel I fear the worst going forward. Couple that with the strong possibility that Kirk will probably walk after this year. :(

Tough to be a fan of this team; just when you think you see a light at the end of the tunnel (McLoughan's culture) it turns out to be a freight train (Snyder/Allen). 

I'm quite worried about the coming offseason decisions. Nobody in the decision making positions gives me confidence.

9 minutes ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

I'm quite worried about the coming offseason decisions. Nobody in the decision making positions gives me confidence.

It's one of the reasons I thought this year needed to be very good or very bad on the field. It feels like our last shot with this core just because Brown and Cousins may walk and we don't have our GM from the past couple years. 

Injuries are the single largest factor in what can take a decent team and lay it low.

Yesterday we had a guy on the DL who was unemployed on Wednesday,, and he was there because the guy we signed off the street the previous wednesday got hurt vs Seattle.

Yesterday one of our best defensive players was a 3rd string linebacker.

So many injuries that last week we literally had 29 guys on the injury report. (8!! on IR). I have NEVER seen that in my life.

They only dress 45. That means 16 healthy players.

Injuries are the single largest shadow hanging over the team, and nothing else we've done or not done has had the same impact as that single factor.

Yesterday i think they put up a valiant effort against a very good offensive team, and after getting blown out of the first half, tightened the screws in the second and made a game of it.

We'd all like a few plays back, but keep in mind that when looking at the injuries, the fact only a FEW plays separate us from a win vs a team of the Vikings caliber..  that says a lot.

~Bang

11 minutes ago, Bang said:

Injuries are the single largest factor in what can take a decent team and lay it low.

Yesterday we had a guy on the DL who was unemployed on Wednesday,, and he was there because the guy we signed off the street the previous wednesday got hurt vs Seattle.

Yesterday one of our best defensive players was a 3rd string linebacker.

So many injuries that last week we literally had 29 guys on the injury report. (8!! on IR). I have NEVER seen that in my life.

They only dress 45. That means 16 healthy players.

Injuries are the single largest shadow hanging over the team, and nothing else we've done or not done has had the same impact as that single factor.

Yesterday i think they put up a valiant effort against a very good offensive team, and after getting blown out of the first half, tightened the screws in the second and made a game of it.

We'd all like a few plays back, but keep in mind that when looking at the injuries, the fact only a FEW plays separate us from a win vs a team of the Vikings caliber..  that says a lot.

~Bang

The skins were healthier for the Vikings game than they were for the Seattle game.  Injuries don’t explain dropped passes, killer interceptions, Norman getting beaten like a drum, etc.  

The skins were healthy when Philly came in and beat this team.

Yes, there are injuries.  That is not a valid blanket excuse.

Injuries aren't excuses,, they're real. When you say "Healthier", what you mean is they did not have 21 friggin' guys on the injury list this week, only 17.

SEVENTEEN. (this does not count the 8 on IR.)

14 of them either did not participate in practice this week, or were limited.

Next closest team: Giants with 9. They've won once.

"Healthier", you call it. We literally have nearly twice the number of DNP and Limited injured players as the next closest team. (Only 5 teams had more than 7 on the report this week that were limited or DNP. NE, Seattle had 8,, the Jets and Bears had 7, and we had 14.)

Having a DL with 2nd and 3rd string (and newly signed) guys on it affects the pass rush, which of course affects the coverage.

Keenum had time, and what do you know, coverage breaks down. 3½ seconds is all it takes.They're as tied together as cookies and cream.

they ran the ball on that beat up DL, which changes how you play defense, and when you must do that with backup players, it affects things.

Pretending that everything exists in a vacuum is how you get sentences like "Norman getting beaten like a drum".. which he did.. but to pretend those other things don't factor in is silly. You give just about any QB in the NFl time to throw, and they will beat any cornerback in the NFL. Sucks he had an off game, but it's not his normal day. When things are unusual, you have to look beyond what you may see out front for reasons, and Norman getting beat regularly is unusual.

Philly "came in and beat this team" in week 1,  and have beaten every team since save 1... so using the best team in the NFL as a barometer is pretty short-sighted.

Drps, i'/m with you,, our WR corps has taken a step backwards, which probably has something to do with letting good talent walk, while signing talent that can't play. Pryor is an utter failure. Expecting Ryan Grant to be a viable starter in the NFL. Cutting Mo Harris when he has clearly the best hands of the group.

The INT was bad, no doubt. The defense's inability to keep them out of the end zone kept it bad, and put too much pressure on the rest of the way to try and overcome. 

IMO, if you really want to hammer the offense, hammer them for coming away with zero after Swearinger's first pick. Minnesota made us pay for our mistake, we failed to make them pay for one of theirs.

Other reasons exist,, like how plain dumb as **** the entire staff has been on the position of RB. Fat rob stinks, tired of watching him walk up to the line. Yesterday we saw the difference when you have properly coached RBs who hit the hole with speed and purpose. Rob piddles around behind everything and gets nowhere. We've done NOTHING about it. And again, INJURIES. Injuries meant we had to cut Mack Brown to make room for a lineman we had to have due to numerous injuries... Mack spent the day watching his new team run us down. (Mack runs like they do. Hard and with purpose. I'd much rather have had him yesterday.) Once kelly got hurt, that was it.. they ran the ball 22 times with RBs, but none of it resembled any concerted effort to establish the run.
 More than anything else on offense, this is a problem. We run because.. i don't know,, it's first down. Doesn't seem to be any other plan behind it to establish it as a primary part of the day's attack.

We had one short little 3 or 4 play stretch in the 2nd half with Perine that they started to actually run hard and well, got 5 yards each time, and then .. well, back to patchwork.

So, no, injuries, as anything else, is not a blanket.

But it is a MAJOR reason why SO many other problems exist. Good teams overcome injuries. But when they have twice as many as any other team in the league, it is unrealistic to expect. With this many injuries, mistakes are magnified.. the team is unequipped to overcome many. As yesterday showed,, only a couple of mistakes is enough when you're beat up this bad.

~Bang

Add this to the topic also:  I'm not sure, but are we the ONLY team to not have consecutive home games?  We've been road-home, road-home since the beginning of the season.  Games 14 and 15 are when we finally get consecutive home games (not that it might make a difference as we don't play well at home), but to constantly have to pack up every other week would suck.

17 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

Add this to the topic also:  I'm not sure, but are we the ONLY team to not have consecutive home games?  We've been road-home, road-home since the beginning of the season.  Games 14 and 15 are when we finally get consecutive home games (not that it might make a difference as we don't play well at home), but to constantly have to pack up every other week would suck.

Could be but I also looked at that as a positive...we haven't have consecutive road games either and won't until we have a 10-day layoff which mitigates it to some extent. 

40 minutes ago, Bang said:

Injuries aren't excuses,, they're real. When you say "Healthier", what you mean is they did not have 21 friggin' guys on the injury list this week, only 17.

SEVENTEEN. (this does not count the 8 on IR.)

14 of them either did not participate in practice this week, or were limited.

Next closest team: Seattle and the Patriots with 8.

"Healthier", you call it. We literally have nearly twice the number of DNP and Limited injured players as the next closest team. (Only 5 teams had more than 7 on the report this week that were limited or DNP. NE, Seattle had 8,, the Jets and Bears had 7, and we had 14.)

Having a DL with 2nd and 3rd string (and newly signed) guys on it affects the pass rush, which of course affects the coverage.

Keenum had time, and what do you know, coverage breaks down. 3½ seconds is all it takes.They're as tied together as cookies and cream.

they ran the ball on that beat up DL, which changes how you play defense, and when you must do that with backup players, it affects things.

Pretending that everything exists in a vacuum is how you get sentences like "Norman getting beaten like a drum".. which he did.. but to pretend those other things don't factor in is silly. You give just about any QB in the NFl time to throw, and they will beat any cornerback in the NFL. Sucks he had an off game, but it's not his normal day. When things are unusual, you have to look beyond what you may see out front for reasons, and Norman getting beat regularly is unusual.

Philly "came in and beat this team" in week 1,  and have beaten every team since save 1... so using the best team in the NFL as a barometer is pretty short-sighted.

Drps, i'/m with you,, our WR corps has taken a step backwards, which probably has something to do with letting good talent walk, while signing talent that can't play. Expecting Ryan Grant to be a viable starter in the NFL. Cutting Mo Harris when he has clearly the best hands of the group.

The INT was bad, no doubt. The defense's inability to keep them out of the end zone kept it bad, and put too much pressure on the rest of the way to try and overcome. 

IMO, if you really want to hammer the offense, hammer them for coming away with zero after Swearinger's first pick. Minnesota made us pay for our mistake, we failed to make them pay for one of theirs.

Other reasons exist,, like how plain dumb as **** the entire staff has been on the position of RB. Fat rob stinks, tired of watching him walk up to the line. Yesterday we saw the difference when you have properly coached RBs who hit the hole with speed and purpose. Rob piddles around behind everything and gets nowhere. We've done NOTHING about it. And again, INJURIES. Injuries meant we had to cut Mack Brown to make room for a lineman we had to have due to numerous injuries... Mack spent the day watching his new team run us down. (Mack runs like they do. Hard and with purpose. I'd much rather have had him yesterday.) Once kelly got hurt, that was it.. they ran the ball 22 times with RBs, but none of it resembled any concerted effort to establish the run.
 More than anything else on offense, this is a problem. We run because.. i don't know,, it's first down. Doesn't seem to be any other plan behind it to establish it as a primary part of the day's attack.

We had one short little 3 or 4 play stretch in the 2nd half with Perine that they started to actually run hard and well, got 5 yards each time, and then .. well, back to patchwork.

So, no, injuries, as anything else, is not a blanket.

But it is a MAJOR reason why SO many other problems exist. Good teams overcome injuries. But when they have twice as many as any other team in the league, it is unrealistic to expect. With this many injuries, mistakes are magnified.. the team is unequipped to overcome many. As yesterday showed,, only a couple of mistakes is enough when you're beat up this bad.

~Bang

I’m curious- what do you think the reddkins record would be if the team was “healthy”?  I suspect the same as they are now.

46 minutes ago, pjfootballer said:

I think you meant weeks 15 and 16. We are AT LA (chargers) in week 14. 

Week 15 is Home Vs Cardinals (with Drew Stanton as their QB) and week 16 is Home (Christmas Eve day) Vs the broncos

30 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Could be but I also looked at that as a positive...we haven't have consecutive road games either and won't until we have a 10-day layoff which mitigates it to some extent. 

That’s true. 

Also, I’ve been wondering about this, how do you think the team will handle that weird Thursday to Thursday schedule in terms of practicing? Obviously after playing in New Orleans on Sunday and then only 3 days to practice for the giants, Gruden would want to give the team AT LEAST next Friday, Saturday and Sunday off. Does the team then practice Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday before flying to Dallas that Wednesday after practice? That would only be 3 days of practice for two games. That sounds brutal 

30 minutes ago, Csup said:

I’m curious- what do you think the reddkins record would be if the team was “healthy”?  I suspect the same as they are now.

I'd give them one or two more. 5-4 or 6-3. 

The defense has been wrecked right where it was making it's best contributions. We've been looking for YEARS to find guys who were doing what Allen and Ionaiddis were doing in the first month.

If they were still providing the push, and these young DBs were growing into their roles as they are now, 6-3 is highly probable.

This weekend, of every other team in the league, the average number of DNP or Limited Participation listed on injury reports was less than 5. (4.72, and only 5 teams listed more than 6)
The majority of teams practiced this week with fewer than 5 players limited or out. 

The Redskins had 17.
Severely not "healthy".

~Bang

7 minutes ago, Bang said:

This weekend, of every other team in the league, the average number of DNP or Limited Participation listed on injury reports was less than 5. (4.72, and only 5 teams listed more than 6)

The Redskins had 17.

~Bang

And let's not forget the walking wounded... I was watching our OL, and there were quite a few missed assignments by our  guys.

The Scherff looked like a Deputy out there, Long was sort of effective for a while, Lauvao was actually not too bad, Moses whiffed a bunch and even Silverback looked like a mere mortal.

You take away the injuries to our OL and we score at least 42 on Minny yesterday.

55 minutes ago, dyst said:

Regarding Injuries:

The Vikings were without their 1st string QB (Bridgewater), 2nd string QB (Bradford), 1st string RB (Cook), 1st string DT (Griffin) and their best corner hurt throughout the game (Rhoades).

lol Bridgewater. Dude hasn't touched a football in 2 years. Keenum's their starter, and yeah he's a backup. But the guys in front of him are not.
Griffen and their corner being out and hurt,, well, we DID just lay 30 points up there on a defense that had given up more than 20 only ONCE.

But really, you did NOT just float Bridgewater as part of this conversation.

Right? 
Because that would be silly.

~Bang

14 minutes ago, MassSkinsFan said:

And let's not forget the walking wounded... I was watching our OL, and there were quite a few missed assignments by our  guys.

The Scherff looked like a Deputy out there, Long was sort of effective for a while, Lauvao was actually not too bad, Moses whiffed a bunch and even Silverback looked like a mere mortal.

You take away the injuries to our OL and we score at least 42 on Minny yesterday.

Yeah, i have never seen a team shuffle it's center and right guard like they did yesterday.

Constantly moving them in and out.

Maybe i'm nuts, but I don't see where we miss much putting Roulhier at center.

~Bang

1 hour ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

If they could somehow steal a win sunday, the last 6 games would be interesting 

you’d probably be favored in nearly every one 

damn...just noticed the playoff picture on NFL.com....we are already 2 games back...if we lose to the saints we will probably be three games back with only six to play...that's a lot of making up to do...especially when it looks like even a 10-6 record might be on the outside looking in...could mean we are at the point of Seven in a row or we don't go...so, here's to ending the Saints seven game streak and starting our own seven game streak...the paloffs is now??

1 hour ago, Csup said:

Maybe. But also let's not forget that this long injury list seriously hamper our training session and playbook as well. That can't be discarded. 

Archived