Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Got Dammit Doctson

normal_gymnasium

17 minutes ago, Enforcer_FFX said:

Yes - I'm surprised more wasn't made of this. He clearly got raked on the facemask on the way down.

Totally agree here, he tries to tuck the ball away, is bracing to hit the ground, then his helmet gets pulled causing to lose some focus in regards to bracing himself for hitting the ground.

Without the facemask I think he completes the catch

7 minutes ago, I Love The Skins said:

If  they went by the old rules that would have been ruled a TD. He had control of the ball on the way down.

The ground shouldnt cause an incompletion just the same as it cant cause a fumble.  Doctson established possession and the ground knocked it out.  There's no reason for the rule to add all these extra conditions. 

Doctson is probably blaming the game on himself.  His receiver's coach gave him a minus on the play, just one minus, but it'll be drilled into him that it's the biggest minus of the game.  If you're a receiver in the nfl, you simply have to make that catch.  And what would have made it even sweeter is that he's the one guy that needed to make that catch.  Sitting out last year, injury early this year, leaving the game earlier due to injury...man he could have shut up a lot of people.  

Obviously I love the natural athletic intangibles to be able to get up that high, but the catch itself isn't overly difficult.  He double clutches, then gets control, then loses it hitting the ground.  When you get the ball in both your hands as a WR, you make the catch plain and simple.  

Now of course the game doesn't boil down to that one play.  We shot ourselves in the foot far too many times with penalties in critical situations.  Also, with 40 some odd seconds left to go in the game, you can't let them get 40 yards in 10 seconds.  And the injuries...my goodness the injuries.  Never seen a team drop like flies like that.

But due to the subject of the thread...and looking at this one play in a vacuum...you have got to make that catch and it's the most critical negative on his grade sheet, maybe of anyone's grade sheet. Just hope it doesn't mess with his confidence moving forward, or Jay/Kirk's confidence maybe more importantly. My own personal thoughts would be that it shouldn't lower Kirk/Jay's confidence...the guy was in the right place at the right time and gave himself the opportunity to make a play with freakish athleticism.  Very few player in the league are going to get up that high and give their team a chance. Hopefully he makes that play more often than not...

5 minutes ago, justice98 said:

The ground shouldnt cause an incompletion just the same as it cant cause a fumble.  Doctson established possession and the ground knocked it out.  There's no reason for the rule to add all these extra conditions. 

The reason it does for catches is because you have to establish possession AND become a runner.  If you don't become a runner you must maintain the catch all the way through...it removes the subjectivity of it.  As a runner you're already in possession of the ball so there's no need to maintain possession through contact with the turf.  

The problem is our WRs aren't very involved in the offensive scheme at the moment, so every time they drop a ball that should be caught it is going to be magnified.  The WRs have yet to have one of those "8 catches, 105 yards, 2 TD" games that really wow you.  It's like they are good for one big possible game-changing catch per game then it's back to the tight ends and RBs.

8 hours ago, normal_gymnasium said:

I really have to wonder where Josh Doctson goes from here. That would have been the coolest way imaginable to win that game. It was everything. It was all the things. After all that missed time, Doctson goes full epic fail doing the precise thing he was drafted to do.

You never go full epic fail. 

Dammit Doctson!

IMO, the Title not good. (hate the usage of those words), the context a fan view of emotion and not sense. Also, could have been put in another thread covering WR's.

You are expecting the guy to go up over five feet in the air and come down with every ball is unrealistic and just a "Fans" view. Kid is gonna be great, showed it in two games, plenty of young receivers almost caught the extremely difficult ball. His effort and skill should be commended not picked apart. HE doesn't suck, he had the ball and coming down the ground caused him to lose control, that's it. 

Come back and eat Crow, Kid is a stud if healthy and will continue to improve. BTW, don't take this personally, but this why IMO ES should have a mand. 100 posts to create a thread rule, won't happen I know. But still get a feel for the game here on ES. 

9 minutes ago, SkinssRvA said:

Doctson is probably blaming the game on himself.  His receiver's coach gave him a minus on the play, just one minus, but it'll be drilled into him that it's the biggest minus of the game.  If you're a receiver in the nfl, you simply have to make that catch.  And what would have made it even sweeter is that he's the one guy that needed to make that catch.  Sitting out last year, injury early this year, leaving the game earlier due to injury...man he could have shut up a lot of people.  

How about the minus on Kirk missing Grant on the Home run ball, that is bigger to me, Doc's effort was extraordinary. Kirks deep ball once again off the mark and that is 7 off the board as well. 

My issue with Doctson is't that he dropped the ball, it's how he dropped it.. His "instinct" was to take a hand off the ball, to break his fall.. Now, I don't know enough about being a WR to know if instincts like that are fixable, but with a fairly high chance of the game winning TD in BOTH your hands and your instinct tells you you need to break your fall and remove a hand from the football? Hmmm.. Sketchy, imo..

8 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

My issue with Doctson is't that he dropped the ball, it's how he dropped it.. His "instinct" was to take a hand off the ball, to break his fall.. Now, I don't know enough about being a WR to know if instincts like that are fixable, but with a fairly high chance of the game winning TD in BOTH your hands and your instinct tells you you need to break your fall and remove a hand from the football? Hmmm.. Sketchy, imo..

What is to say he doesn't drop the ball with two hands on it? It's not like a regular tackle where you'd want to just wrap it up, he was a few feet in the air and the collision with the ground is much more impactful than it would be otherwise. It's natural to want to brace for contact like that. Would you rather have an air bag in your car or know an impact is about to happen, brace yourself, and hope for the best? 

14 minutes ago, skinsfan999 said:

It's natural to want to brace for contact like that. Would you rather have an air bag in your car or know an impact is about to happen, brace yourself, and hope for the best? 

Me personally, I'd of went to the ground with both hands breaking my fall! lol But this is supposed to be a #1 NFL wide receiver.. If he dropped it with both hands on the ball, that would of been bad too. But if I was betting on the catch, I'd rather him leave both hands on the ball and take the body hit to the ground. If his legs were taken out or he was about to land on his head, it'd be more acceptable, imo.. But that particular jump and catch attempt, just looked soft to me.

1 minute ago, GoDeep81 said:

Me personally, I'd of went to the ground with both hands breaking my fall! lol But this is supposed to be a #1 NFL wide receiver.. If he dropped it with both hands on the ball, that would of been bad too. But if I was betting on the catch, I'd rather him leave both hands on the ball and take the body hit to the ground. If his legs were taken out or he was about to land on his head, it'd be more acceptable, imo.. But that particular jump and catch attempt, just looked soft to me.

Fair enough, I would too, haha, but it's easy as fans to break down these plays in slow motion and criticize players. In real time it's not that easy. I've seen critiques on how he contorted his body to even get his hands on the ball. I wish he had brought it down, but at the end of the day it would have been a great catch, and the fact that he didn't finish it I can't get very mad at him. His talent is clear, if he puts it all together we've got a top 5 receiver on our hands. 

chalk this game up to growing pains for a group of players who haven't played many games together. The positive to all of this is that Doctson is on the field and he has incredible ball skills. If we can get Reed healthy and Pryor up to speed along with Doc's athleticism there isn't a team that can defend all of these weapons. 

I also think Kirk has to use Thompson more on third and short...CT is basically impossible to tackle one on one in the open field before he gains 5 yards. He is an incredibly valuable offensive weapon. After 4 games now, the coaches can start dialing up stuff based on all of the skilled weapons we have, including Vernon and Crowder (who was invisible last night). 

Defensively we have some serious team speed and need to clean up some of the aggressiveness with more smarts....Breeland and Preston Smith are freakish athletes who killed us last night with penalties....that'll get fixed I'm sure. Love the direction of this team, we have lots to build with. 

10 hours ago, QBkilla56 said:

Ladies and gentlemen 50/50 nickname is back. We should get Rod Gardner to come back and coach him.   

No way, that mantel has to go to Pryor.  That dude is borderline unreliable.

I'm not mad at Doctson or the Skins.  That was a well played game and Doctson is slowly getting more targets and catches.  Agreed on the first round talent comment, and our WR core isn't clicking but we're still scoring points.  WRs are going to be fine, just need a little more time.

Perfect time for a bye week.

15 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

No way, that mantel has to go to Pryor.  That dude is borderline unreliable.

I'm not mad at Doctson or the Skins.  That was a well played game and Doctson is slowly getting more targets and catches.  Agreed on the first round talent comment, and our WR core isn't clicking but we're still scoring points.  WRs are going to be fine, just need a little more time.

I agree about Pryor but I think he and Doctson can share the award.

I don't think it's as much anger as an utter disappointment. I am afraid the coaching staff is going to suffer because of the piss poor management of player acquisition and retainment. I knew they needed to keep Garcon. Pay HIM $8 million a year and not a college quarterback. 

2 minutes ago, pappy1271 said:

I agree about Pryor but I think he and Doctson can share the award.

I don't think it's as much anger as an utter disappointment. I am afraid the coaching staff is going to suffer because of the piss poor management of player acquisition and retainment. I knew they needed to keep Garcon. Pay HIM $8 million a year and not a college quarterback. 

Pryor was a project, hence the 1 year deal. After his success with the Browns I thought he'd be more polished, but it's pretty clear he was the best athlete on a bad team. I don't blame them for taking a chance on him, he has elite measurables, and if he has the right coaching maybe he can turn into a stud. I wish we had kept Garcon, he was a great player for us. But he's getting old, can he sustain his play for many more years? That contract he got may look bad very quickly.

Anyone remember DJax? The redskins didn't pay him  either, what has he done?

I get the pros and cons on Doctson not catching the ball.

1. Monday Night

2. Playing an undefeated team

3. Playing on the road

There was a reason he was drafted, and so high.  He made plays like this in college. Since coming to the Redskins, he hasn't done anything. Yes, he had a big catch last week, but that was pretty much his highlite reel in a nutshell.

I've cried for a WR over 6'0 for ever, and now we have one who was reveled in college but thus far in the NFL, he's a JAG. This team may not have 4-5 years for him to 'mature' or develop himself mentally and physically into an elite WR.  DBs are getting taller, and taller WRs are needed to combat this. 

I'm sorry, but I can't look at this and shrug my shoulders and say oh well he'll get better soon, dependable WRs are needed, and if he's more worried about hitting the ground than making a great catch, then he won't last long, because not every pass will be perfect, and he should know how to position himself to reduce impact.

10 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

I get the pros and cons on Doctson not catching the ball.

1. Monday Night

2. Playing an undefeated team

3. Playing on the road

There was a reason he was drafted, and so high.  He made plays like this in college. Since coming to the Redskins, he hasn't done anything. Yes, he had a big catch last week, but that was pretty much his highlite reel in a nutshell.

I've cried for a WR over 6'0 for ever, and now we have one who was reveled in college but thus far in the NFL, he's a JAG. This team may not have 4-5 years for him to 'mature' or develop himself mentally and physically into an elite WR.  DBs are getting taller, and taller WRs are needed to combat this. 

I'm sorry, but I can't look at this and shrug my shoulders and say oh well he'll get better soon, dependable WRs are needed, and if he's more worried about hitting the ground than making a great catch, then he won't last long, because not every pass will be perfect, and he should know how to position himself to reduce impact.

I think Doc could end up being a great all time Redskin receiver with his skills....He needs to play and get a feel for the game again. He's been out of game action for a good while and is just getting started again. He's gonna win us some games this year.

What "old rules" would that have been a catch?  When going to the ground in the process of making a catch, you must maintain possession.  See 2005 Skins/bucs playoff game...

Its always been that way.  He needs to hold on to that. He did the hard part already....

3 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

IMO, the Title not good. (hate the usage of those words), the context a fan view of emotion and not sense. Also, could have been put in another thread covering WR's.

You are expecting the guy to go up over five feet in the air and come down with every ball is unrealistic and just a "Fans" view. Kid is gonna be great, showed it in two games, plenty of young receivers almost caught the extremely difficult ball. His effort and skill should be commended not picked apart. HE doesn't suck, he had the ball and coming down the ground caused him to lose control, that's it. 

Come back and eat Crow, Kid is a stud if healthy and will continue to improve. BTW, don't take this personally, but this why IMO ES should have a mand. 100 posts to create a thread rule, won't happen I know. But still get a feel for the game here on ES. 

How about the minus on Kirk missing Grant on the Home run ball, that is bigger to me, Doc's effort was extraordinary. Kirks deep ball once again off the mark and that is 7 off the board as well. 

Everyone on offense had good and bad plays. There was no one play that won or lost this game. Just like the bogus fumble in game wasn't the reason we lost that game, the Doctson play is not why we lost to KC.

14 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Everyone on offense had good and bad plays. There was no one play that won or lost this game. Just like the bogus fumble in game wasn't the reason we lost that game, the Doctson play is not why we lost to KC.

Exactly, too many other plays affected the outcome, coming here to blame a player who almost pulled off a spectacular catch is just dumb. 

The drop wasn't the reason why they lost, but it would've been a great way to win given the circumstances.  On the road, under a minute to go, plus all the injuries.  This also highlights why they should've kept 1 of the 2 1,000 yard WRs from last year.  It's a lot of pressure to put on a young WR, but a veteran probably makes that catch maybe 8 or 9 times out of 10.

Archived