Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Got Dammit Doctson

normal_gymnasium

4 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

The drop wasn't the reason why they lost, but it would've been a great way to win given the circumstances.  On the road, under a minute to go, plus all the injuries.  This also highlights why they should've kept 1 of the 2 1,000 yard WRs from last year.  It's a lot of pressure to put on a young WR, but a veteran probably makes that catch maybe 8 or 9 times out of 10.

Neither Jackson nor Garçon would have made that catch.

4 hours ago, Enforcer_FFX said:

Yes - I'm surprised more wasn't made of this. He clearly got raked on the facemask on the way down.

4 hours ago, Bunny Kelly said:

Totally agree here, he tries to tuck the ball away, is bracing to hit the ground, then his helmet gets pulled causing to lose some focus in regards to bracing himself for hitting the ground.

Without the facemask I think he completes the catch

This and this.  I'm way more annoyed with the no-call on the hands to the face than I am about the drop.  That should've extended the drive.

DLOHHJ4XkAAGpmE.png

3 minutes ago, Stugein said:

This and this.  I'm way more annoyed with the no-call on the hands to the face than I am about the drop.  That should've extended the drive.

Stu that is disturbing. I used the pic is a tweet, did not copy your words fwiw. Where is the pic from, credit due? 

6 minutes ago, Stugein said:

That will be a good one for the league to "review" and send out their standard apology letter.  I wonder how many of those we've received over the years?  That's a hell of an egregious penalty, at a key moment in the game, that will never be remembered.  I am not one who complains about officiating, as it usually evens out, BUT it does decide games as the margin for error (winning/losing) is so thin with the parity in today's league. That is quite irritating.  Hail 

9 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

I think maybe Garcon makes that catch. 

If he was a bit taller.  JDoc has a 41" vertical at 6'2".  Garcon is 6' (5'11 7/8) but does have a nice vertical too at 36 1/2". It would be interesting.  I miss Garcon, more than Jackson, which surprises me.  I thought it would be the other way around. 

Better luck next week.  I already vented myself out after we lost to Philly week 1.  Since them the team has impressed so my glass is half full.

We still need a workhorse RB and hopefully Norman won't miss too many games.

I was so pumped in the first half with our DEF kicking ass.  Been a while since I've seen us put that much pressure on them.

5 minutes ago, Ashburn Dave said:

Better luck next week.  I already vented myself out after we lost to Philly week 1.  Since them the team has impressed so my glass is half full.

We still need a workhorse RB and hopefully Norman won't miss too many games.

I was so pumped in the first half with our DEF kicking ass.  Been a while since I've seen us put that much pressure on them.

Next week we will be spent in the hot tub, ice bath, and Physical Therapist's as we have a bye and many wounded warriors.  Unexpectedly, I'm glad our bye came early.  Eager to get to work against San Fran and wash this bitter taste out of my mouth.  Hail

That was one major thing that bothered me about that play. We got called for a ton of ticky tacky things but when the games on the line and our WR CLEARLY gets interfered with, no call, and now Doctson gets the blame for the loss from a large portion of the fan base. Nice picture, Stugein, maybe that will shut up all the people who want to throw Doctson back in the doghouse for not making a highlight reel catch. 

17 plays....Doctson was only on the field for 17 plays.  Pryor had 43 snaps.  Pryor has worked(s) his tail off but he is just not a "natural" receiver.  It is something you have a knack for and it takes years to hone your skills. Doctson has that "it", that Pryor just does NOT have. He needs to stay healthy, practice, and our coaches need to get him on the field, and also give him targets.  That is the only way he can evolve and we can truly find out what we have. He needs to play more, period. 

"After the first quarter of the season, Doctson has logged less snaps than Terrelle Pryor, Jamison Crowder and Ryan Grant. Against the Chiefs, Doctson was out there for just 17 snaps. Pryor, who caught his first TD with the Redskins in the first half, logged 43 snaps. Doctson has gifts. The Redskins need to use them. With more opportunities, perhaps the debate won't center on drops, but catches."

Doctson should have had both hands on the ball.  He dropped a TD that could have won the game.  Lots of mistakes contributed to the loss but none as big as this mistake.

2 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

I think maybe Garcon makes that catch. 

I don't think Garcon gets high enough to grab it.  I wish Garcon was on the team because Cousins needs more help from the WRs but I don't think Garcon makes this catch for other reasons.

4 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Everyone on offense had good and bad plays. There was no one play that won or lost this game. Just like the bogus fumble in game wasn't the reason we lost that game, the Doctson play is not why we lost to KC.

Yes, agree completely. You could look at a dozen and half plays and point fingers at a dozen or more players, Coaches as well. 

1 hour ago, SWFLSkins said:

Yes, agree completely. You could look at a dozen and half plays and point fingers at a dozen or more players, Coaches as well. 

Plays towards the end obviously stand out more because they have less impact on how the rest of the game plays out and more impact on the final score, however to me we lost the game when we ran the ball 4 straight times I believe on first and goal when up 7-0

Fun Fact: Josh Doctson has more CBS fantasy points (in my league) than does Jamison Crowder.

Like Crowder, Josh faces high expectations based on his draft position and likely fan impatience. Sure it sucks he dropped it at the last moment but I too don't think him scoring was going to lead to a win. 

Our defense had been getting abused for about 3 quarters, had numerous injuries (even before the game), was down to special teamers playing, and Jay botched clock management.  If there was ever a game to try to score the TD and leave not enough time for the opponent, it was last night. Josh's drop was just one of several failures in the final minute.  How about our gadget play... we could barely complete one lateral.

18 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Doctson should have had both hands on the ball.  He dropped a TD that could have won the game.  Lots of mistakes contributed to the loss but none as big as this mistake.

Now the crappy thing is we have two weeks to stew on it

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Plays towards the end obviously stand out more because they have less impact on how the rest of the game plays out and more impact on the final score, however to me we lost the game when we ran the ball 4 straight times I believe on first and goal when up 7-0

This is an interesting perspective given the level of criticism you have for Cousins at the end of games.

I do have to admit that I felt the wind come out of our sails the moment we ran on 2nd down, only to be followed up by a Kirk keeper on 3rd down. Going up 14-0 there makes a world of difference in the game.

8 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

If he was a bit taller.  JDoc has a 41" vertical at 6'2".  Garcon is 6' (5'11 7/8) but does have a nice vertical too at 36 1/2". It would be interesting.  I miss Garcon, more than Jackson, which surprises me.  I thought it would be the other way around. 

Vertical really doesn't have a lot to do with it....it's more the wingspan, timing, and mid-air adjustment.  There isn't a WR on the team that comes closer than Dox to making that grab.  He hasn't done much in his career, obviously, but he's our most talented WR.  The kid needs PT.  He should be getting reps over Pryor.  Those IG vids had a lot of us fooled.  He's a bigger project than I ever imagined.  I realize why there wasn't a big market out there for him.  He's not a #1 on a good team (Pryor)....but I think Dox COULD be that guy if he gets reps. 

1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

Now the crappy thing is we have two weeks to stew on it

Somehow my name got into your quote. That was @Veryoldschool who made the post you quoted. It was perplexing... I was thinking heh, I must have typed that half asleep last night. 

Regardless, maybe we can find solace in knowing no one feels worse than Josh.   And will for 2 weeks.

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This is an interesting perspective given the level of criticism you have for Cousins at the end of games.

I do have to admit that I felt the wind come out of our sails the moment we ran on 2nd down, only to be followed up by a Kirk keeper on 3rd down. Going up 14-0 there makes a world of difference in the game.

I just said plays tend to stand out more at the end but it doesn't tell the whole story. In this game we still needed it to be close for those last plays to matter. If KC blew us out of the water seeing as how badly we stalled after drive #2 then that Doctson drop is moot. Kirk tends to have two good quarters and two not so good. What's worrisome is that the 4th quarter in his 2 1/4 season starting have consistently been his worst or second worst statistically which is odd since he does have a lot of big moments in that quarter. In other words hes good at digging himself in holes where he's been good at digging himself out of.

7 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Now we're complaining about running the ball instead of throwing fades?

Ok...

Archived