Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

Actually the pictures should be blasted all over social media and mainstream media so maybe people will finally become outraged enough to do something about it.  People need to see the grim reality.  Stop trying to hide the effects of the gun culture in this country.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

This needed to be said, why? Also, what is wrong with the person taking that photo…

If you need to ask, then you're probably not who it was intended for...

As to your second question, it's unclear if it was a rando taking that specific photo, or someone in law enforcement

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

That’s bull****. If you need to see pictures of a child bring murdered in order to know it’s gruesome hope is already lost for you.

More people exist in a fantasy bubble where they refuse to acknowledge images and/or ideas that may make them uncomfortable, than people who just do not care about humanity in general.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

That’s bull****. If you need to see pictures of a child bring murdered in order to know it’s gruesome hope is already lost for you.

I agree with you. 

but recall when ray rice hit his girl, it took the video being leaked months afterwards (and a punishment had already been handed down) for there to be actual outrage which resulted in him being blackballed from the league. 

hearing he knocked out his girlfriend wasnt enough. Most people had to actually see it for whatever reason. 

I recall making the same argument around here then. But yeah. Most people have to see it to understand it.

🤷‍♂️ 

• Thumb up 3

35 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Every fiber of my being wants to agree with you.  Having said that, we've tried "don't show, be respectful, no one needs to see it to understand its evil" for years...maybe we think too much of our fellow Americans.  Being respectful hasn't worked...might be time to discard sensitivities and no longer avoid the brutal truth.  Then again, doing so might be just one more step in further desensitization down this nature trail to hell.

Whether hope is lost on them or not...we still need them to vote to move forward.

Honestly I just don't know.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 3

It does feel like the media covers them as if they’re sporting events now. 

that was my reaction on April 11th when I loaded cnn’s homepage after the shooting and it was lined up with article after article (most of which were nonsense because you can’t same much of quality within hours of a shooting …) and it looked like it looks immediately after a championship game, or even something like after results from a big election come in

idk how you can watch the news networks or load their sites in the aftermath and see it any other way. 

we’re very broken as a society. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, tshile said:

I agree with you. 

but recall when ray rice hit his girl, it took the video being leaked months afterwards (and a punishment had already been handed down) for there to be actual outrage which resulted in him being blackballed from the league. 

hearing he knocked out his girlfriend wasnt enough. Most people had to actually see it for whatever reason. 

I recall making the same argument around here then. But yeah. Most people have to see it to understand it.

🤷‍♂️

I don’t think the two scenario are that simular.

Now, if you said Ray Rice murdered his girlfriend, but didn’t get in trouble until there was video of her brains spread across the sidewalk, well I’d agree with you.

13 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I don’t think the two scenario are that simular.

Now, if you said Ray Rice murdered his girlfriend, but didn’t get in trouble until there was video of her brains spread across the sidewalk, well I’d agree with you.

yeah you’re right it has absolutely nothing to do with people not being able to understand the gravity of something unless they actually see it

this issue is not in any way constantly observable throughout society 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

One of the pics is of a little girl, slumped over another adult, with the back of her skull missing. 

How did you even see these photos? I’m scared to look, but everyone is talking about these photos more than usual. Twitter? 

55 minutes ago, max21 said:

How did you even see these photos? I’m scared to look, but everyone is talking about these photos more than usual. Twitter? 

Someone from Twitter posted them initially, and from there, the spread like wildfire. No idea if they're still up. One look was enough for me

I reckon its being talked about so much because of just how insanely jarring it is. I've been in crime scene cleanup, so being around death (or at least the echoes of it) aren't new to me. I've actually had to clean an area from a shotgun suicide.

Still didn't prepare me for that 

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, China said:

Actually the pictures should be blasted all over social media and mainstream media so maybe people will finally become outraged enough to do something about it.  People need to see the grim reality.  Stop trying to hide the effects of the gun culture in this country.

What shocks us initially becomes normal in a startlingly short period of time.  If these horrific photos were used to shock the public they’d succeed.  A few times.  Then what?  If we were near a tipping point I could see an argument for using horrors to provide a push.  We’re not.  

The current gun control arguments have failed to sway the American public in sufficient numbers.   We’ve lost ground.  Someone smarter than me, with a generous budget to spend, needs to examine why that is.  I have guesses but they’re all driven by disappointment rather than data and experience.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Correct it’s not going to change these peoples minds. I don’t mean voters. Maybe it gets some of them to think gun violence isn’t as fun as it sounds. But it won’t get them to vote for a ****ing Dem. We know this. They would rather their children drown than cross that bridge. 

• Like 2

I'm for showing the pictures.
That said, I have managed to avoid them, haven't seen them, nor ave i seen a link to them.

I'm OK with that, too. 

I agree with those who say that many people live in this patriotic fantasy of guns as a protector, giver of rights, peacemaker, blah blah blah, and they see the results of their actions as heroic as a John Wayne movie. 
Bloodless, painless, bad guys down, good guys win.

So show these people reality. Show the girl with her skull blown out with her school photo over it so they know it's a real person there, a real kid. Not some video game fantasy.

But I also agree with Destino, soon even that will be normal too. And even worse, it'll become the source of internet jokes and memes, and every other soulless thing there is.

The chances for any answers are getting fewer and fewer, and pretty soon there won't be but one choice left.
EDIT: 
Again i said the quiet part out loud. And again I decided not to afterward.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

13 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

This needed to be said, why? Also, what is wrong with the person taking that photo…

13 hours ago, China said:

Emmet Till effect.

They are quite nasty. I had read that the rounds from AR15s (or however you correctly classify those weapons) did horrible horrible things to the human body. But seeing it....I did not actually think stuff like that happened. I knew it did. But man its almost unimaginable the damage they cause. Its no wonder the police are scared. If they know what that **** could do to them there is no way they could put themselves in that line of fire. 

8 hours ago, Destino said:

The current gun control arguments have failed to sway the American public in sufficient numbers.   

Not true:

The American public has been swayed.  The problem is our politicians are bought and paid for by the NRA and gun lobbies and won't enact legislation in concert with the public's wishes.  The system is broken.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1