Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

General Mass Shooting Thread (originally Las Vegas Strip)

The Sisko

Once the grief settles, the term "Automatic" is about to become a huge deal.. Media likes to throw the term around, when describing other mass/terror shootings, but until now, they were always wrong.. This is the first, as far as I know.. You don't just go buy an "automatic" weapon, you don't just watch a youtube and alter your civilian based AR/AK to be an automatic weapon.. The gun laws and regulations on owning/altering/selling/shooting/etc an "automatic weapon" are astronomical.

Not sure what will be worse.. Was he hooked up with a smuggling/terror organization or did he plan his life around "snapping" and killing a bunch of people? Cause what just happened in Las Vegas took vast amounts of time, money and planning.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Just skimmed the first page of a google search using James Hodgkinson as a Keyword prompt. I didn't see him called a terrorist in a single title or lead tease.

Google his name and "left wing terrorism."  No shortage of hits.  The media today seems to need groups in order to feel comfortable with the label "terrorist" which is weird.  There is no reason one person, entirely alone, can not be a terrorist.  Ted Kaczynski certainly was.

• Like 6

In the U.S., "lone wolf" IS used as code words for white perp, probably mentally ill, and not affiliated with any overseas based terror group like ISIS. 

We need a Federal law that crosses state lines and terms these mass shootings as terror incidents. 

With there perps mostly dying during the incidents, there's no trial and no ongoing punishment phase to hold these perps to account.

27 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

It’s interesting that the authorities are already ruling this act to not be terrorism. I feel like I’m sensing a pattern here.....

Last I heard...about 40 minutes ago. Domestic Terrorism at least. 

The idea that the term "Lone Wolf" is a racial comment is absurd to me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

Google his name and "left wing terrorism."  No shortage of hits.  The media today seems to need groups in order to feel comfortable with the label "terrorist" which is weird.  There is no reason one person, entirely alone, can not be a terrorist.  Ted Kaczynski certainly was.

In fairness, the FOX and Breitbart clan don't consider people on the left real Americans... that probably means in their eyes they're not real "Whites" either.

(Boy, my snark sure is at full throttle this morning),

Away from snark, I very much agree with you.

• Like 2

Terrible and completely awful.  

Lone wolf, act of terrorism, call it whatever you want to make yourself feel better.   As much as I am tired of incidents like this, I think I'm more tired of people politicizing and racial-izing what column to put a tragedy like this in or worrying about how the press is portraying it.  It doesn't matter.

People are dead, apparently hundreds more are hurt.  This is ****ing sad and terrible, any way you cut it.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

In the U.S., "lone wolf" IS used as code words for white perp, probably mentally ill, and not affiliated with any overseas based terror group like ISIS.

Google "lone wolf attack" and tell me how many white people the search brings up.  Your results may differ from mine because google is scary.  Mine brings up almost no white guys. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

We need a Federal law that crosses state lines and terms these mass shootings as terror incidents. 

With there perps mostly dying during the incidents, there's no trial and no ongoing punishment phase to hold these perps to account.

Wrong.  Lone wolf was used in the Orlando nightclub shooting. And San Bernadino.

Lone wolf is used to indicate a single actor, and not a coordinated effort.  President Obama called the Orlando and San Bernadino attacks "lone wolf terrorist attacks," so not sure where you are getting your info.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/la-na-obama-terror-address-20151205-story.html

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2016/06/lone_wolf_terrorists_like_omar_mateen_present_a_different_kind_of_threat.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

As has been said many times, when a school full of children getting killed didnt do anything, the answer to your question is probably never.

Sad, but where I am at.  I like what the Germans do.

Original intent... everyone can carry muzzle loaders.

47 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

What law are you referring to?  Im not aware of what you are thinking of.

Don't know either to be honest I just thought I remembered it happening. I was partially looking for clarification in my post if it didn't come off that way. 

Ima Google it once the day slows down (and I get my computer back)

26 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Terrible and completely awful.  

Lone wolf, act of terrorism, call it whatever you want to make yourself feel better.   As much as I am tired of incidents like this, I think I'm more tired of people politicizing and racial-izing what column to put a tragedy like this in or worrying about how the press is portraying it.  It doesn't matter.

People are dead, apparently hundreds more are hurt.  This is ****ing sad and terrible, any way you cut it.

All due respect but it absolutely does matter and is a microcosm of how different groups of people are treated and portrayed in this country. Now THAT said, we can get into that conversation after we give the victims and their families our thoughts. That is 100% top priority before anything else.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Destino said:

Careful what you wish for, that would mean barrels of powder would be as common as guns are now.  What could go wrong? 

Brings up a good point for another topic. People are going to find a way to kill other people. I don't know if there is a good way to stop it. But like I said another topic in itself 

4 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Sorry - my first reaction is that there are 50+ siblings without siblings, parents without children, and children without parents.  

I really hate myself for feeling so numb towards the victims of this shooting.

I wish their families the best and I'll pray for them, but it's all running together for me at this point. I can't help but see larger patterns and consistent systemic problems when these shootings happen because they've become so common. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Destino said:

I know Trump has to comment, but every time he does I feel like there's a good chance it's going to make things worse.  Maybe he should just let Pence handle this type of thing for a while. 

Agree. He should put out the most basic tweet ever. Prayers up and we are working as hard as we can type stuff, and then let Pence talk. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Sorry - my first reaction is that there are 50+ siblings without siblings, parents without children, and children without parents.  

It's an absolute nightmare.  I'm watching the videos on CNN of people crouched down without cover as hundreds of shots ring out just hoping they aren't the ones hit.  A crowd that size can't move safely, so they're pretty much helpless.  Awful stuff.