Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Talk about Pets

d0ublestr0ker0ll

9 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Just picked up two new fosters today.  I think they will get homes quick.

I absolutely love long-haired dachs!  I'd take 'em both in 2 seconds if I could.  Give 'em lovin' for me!  Hopefully I can get some pics of my favorite pair from the doggie daycare where I worked, Elvis & Jasmine, to post properly...

• Like 1

I was thinking of getting a dog soon.  The two main problems I have are 1) I live in a an apartment (they do allow dogs, with breed restrictions)  2) I live alone and work full time, so a puppy is probably out, though since I'm only 10 minutes away coming back on my lunch break would be possible but we are talking about leaving the dog alone for 4-5 hours minimum each day, which I've heard is way too long for younger puppies.   Also while I would have no problem walking the dog 1-2 times every day (morning/evening), I'm not really energetic enough that I could go on 3 mile runs.  However there is a grassy area nearby where I see people all the time with dogs off leash, so if it was a dog that like to play fetch or something that would be doable.

When housebreaking puppies, you really have to get up several times during the night. It's like having a human baby. 

You want to keep your dog in a crate while you are gone, to protect dog and your belongings. 

It's good you are close to take the dog out during the day at lunch.

You may want a grown dog rather than a puppy. They don't need to go out as often, unless you have a small dog. I take Dancer out about every two hours.

If you look for a rescue dog, they may already be housebroken and crate trained.  I still have Dancer's crate, I use it in the car for long trips.

Best of luck finding your new friend! 

42 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I was thinking of getting a dog soon.  The two main problems I have are 1) I live in a an apartment (they do allow dogs, with breed restrictions)  2) I live alone and work full time, so a puppy is probably out, though since I'm only 10 minutes away coming back on my lunch break would be possible but we are talking about leaving the dog alone for 4-5 hours minimum each day, which I've heard is way too long for younger puppies.   Also while I would have no problem walking the dog 1-2 times every day (morning/evening), I'm not really energetic enough that I could go on 3 mile runs.  However there is a grassy area nearby where I see people all the time with dogs off leash, so if it was a dog that like to play fetch or something that would be doable.

Reach out to a local rescue and they can help you find a good fit.  You would probably want an older dog (6+ years old).  

So freakin' stoked.

My favorite animal that boards with me is arriving on Saturday and staying thru Wednesday, and a top 5'er is showing up tomorrow and staying for 10 days.  She is a chihuahua mix named Nokona.  SUCH a sweet, tender, bashful, absolute darling of a dog.

My #1 is a yellow lab named Buddy.  He won my "Animal of the Year" award for 2016, and is in a "Secretariat at the Belmont" lead for 2017.  He didn't even need to show up anymore this year, and he'd still win it.  This will just extend his lead further.  He seems to show up at the perfect times.  He's like a forcefield.  You can throw anything at me and it won't matter, because Buddy is here.  He is the most well-behaved dog I have there.  So happy, so smart, funny, beautiful.  He goes in the "Kings Cage"...a cage we can only put THE BEST dogs in.  Right in the middle of the main treatment area, where we set catheters, draw blood, trim nails, get fecal samples.  He's never been remotely disruptive.

The only animal that has a (very long) shot at catching him is a cat named Volt, who is also a top 5'er for me.  He is absolutely vicious the first couple days he boards, which hurts his chances for the championship belt, but with a lot of talking - he snaps out of it and becomes the most personable cat I have ever met.  Not a mean bone in his body after the initial psychosis.  Wags his tail all the time, rolls, squints his eyes as if he's just laughing at everything.  Let's me rub his belly and kiss his face.  Only cat I'd consider having.

This weekend is going to be busy (again), but I'm on cloud 9.  HELL yeah.

• Like 2

This is my problem child Issues. :)  

She LOVES blueberry doughnuts, watching da fooseball with the old man, Sam Adams, cheese, crackers, cheese & crackers, random acts of bat**** crazy at 0-200mph in the blink of an eye, & sleeping. 

She’s a Snowshoe rescue that was born in a crack house, then spent her first 6 months in a meth house. She’s a little over a year old now with a perfect bill of health from the Vet that I refer to as Doctor Hottie. :)  

2A078B55-A8B8-4166-A82C-9865E9602B2B.jpeg

11B1BE1B-E6F4-4D3C-B8D4-167D6C175388.jpeg

25AF604D-F95E-4F42-8C35-358625A14F52.jpeg

BEC9512A-213F-4306-B1A9-5758AF7E60CF.jpeg

ABC78B53-2532-40E0-BE55-AE5C66622FD1.jpeg

D423A759-E3B9-4370-855D-B9649EEDDBE7.jpeg

1BF6A39A-5086-4691-9207-B4E9C0A0D405.jpeg

C74075C7-3E23-4EA0-86C9-8AA911E4465B.jpeg

2DD6B716-157B-4DF5-8FCF-A5BCD1EF626B.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 10/4/2017 at 1:41 PM, LadySkinsFan said:

Any updates on the puppies, Taze?  Hope all were born safely and the mother is fine too.  ???????

Just saw this.  Yep, seven puppies total, all healthy including the mother.  She ended up having six males (4 chocolates, 2 cream/caramels) and one female (chocolate).  All are adorable and all the chocolates are the same shade too, same with the cream/caramels, so no chocolate rainbow like we thought.  

They sent us a link to the webcam they have so you can watch them anytime you want.  Which is pretty cool.  Of course they can't even see yet, so they mainly are feeding, sleeping.  It's pretty funny watching them move around, can't walk yet so they slither around :ols:

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Sabrina likes the dishwasher too, almost shut her in there once!

It’s the best way to wash a cat. :D  

Issues has an unnatural fascination with running water. I’m waiting for her to either finally start drinking out the faucet or jump in the shower. I sprayed her one time for jumping up on the kitchen counter & she no sold it like a champ. :)  

4 minutes ago, TK said:

It’s the best way to wash a cat. :D  

Issues has an unnatural fascination with running water. I’m waiting for her to either finally start drinking out the faucet or jump in the shower. I sprayed her one time for jumping up on the kitchen counter & she no sold it like a champ. :)  

Sabrina does too, and she does drink out of the faucet!  I got them a running water fountain bowl, they were all into it at first, but it wore off...thing was a pain in the ass to change and clean too.  I went back to 2 water bowls.  :)