Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tax Bill

LadySkinsFan

15 minutes ago, twa said:

How am I comparing just 8 yrs?

I didn't say just 8 years.

I was pointing out the context of a certain 8 years compared to now.

Every administration has some context about it. It's not a vacuum that they all exist in, despite certain people's insistence on pretending so.

8 minutes ago, twa said:

the context now is that deficits were rising and projected to continue to do so .

Right

So we cut taxes with no well thought out plan to do anything else.

Sounds like a move my irresponsible friends would make.

The whole notion of the tax cuts being popular now probably have more to do with the propaganda bonuses being given out by Walmart, Home Depot, etc. Huge employers doing the GOP a solid for the massive giveaway to their shareholders. 

Note that actually wages won’t go up, because taxes on corporate *profits* have zero positive impact on wages. 

Also notable: the corporate tax cuts are permanent while the personal income tax cuts were temporary under the law. Of course, everyone expects they’ll be extended. But they were made temporary to reduce the total “cost” of the bill. Funny which of the cuts were made permanent, huh? And weren’t the cuts supposed to pay for themselves? 

I will say, I have personally benefitted significantly from the Republican takeover last year. The DOD got tossed an extra $25B and one of my customers suddenly had money, resulting in a $6k commission check for me. And this tax law will save me about $4k/yr, as my wife and I are the rare high earning family without a huge mortgage to deduct interest from. That said, I’m not someone who needed help. And the (inevitable?) austerity cuts to social programs that will come from this scam of a tax law will take us way backwards as a society. Just as Paul Ryan and his donors intended. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, twa said:

the context now is that deficits were rising and projected to continue to do so .

And in that context, your point is to claim that intentionally doubling the deficit makes slight increases to it "look pretty stupid". 

(And then to run to your old standby of "well, Obama cut the deficit to less than half, but look, he didn't reduce it to beyond zero". (And therefore, intentionally doubling it makes cutting it in half "look pretty stupid")). 

16 minutes ago, twa said:

my point might have been withholding taxes went down...but since you overlooked when that started I understand ya missing it.:)

Perhaps hes "missing it", because. 

1). You haven't actually stated a point. 

2). Because you know that the point you're kinda hinting at, doesn't make sense. 

But please, if you'd like to tell us. 

1). The exact period over which "paychecks went up". (An actual definition of what you're measuring might be nice, too). 

2). The exact date on which Trump's tax cut went into effect. 

(That is, unless you know in advance that actually stating those pieces of information will prove skinsfan's point). 

I was against the tax bill. Still am, even though I'm one of those that is benefiting a good bit. My checks went up about 61 dollars each pay. I just don't know how the party can justify that kind of ballooning of the deficit. I know "growth" but when has a tax reduction not increased the deficit? 

12 hours ago, twa said:

the new withholding tables started 1-1-18, as you should know.

when employers began them varies, as you should know

paycheck is take home pay, as you should know

you mean backdated to 1-1-18, employers have until 2-15-18 to update their tax withholding from paychecks.

1 hour ago, Busch1724 said:

I was against the tax bill. Still am, even though I'm one of those that is benefiting a good bit. My checks went up about 61 dollars each pay. I just don't know how the party can justify that kind of ballooning of the deficit. I know "growth" but when has a tax reduction not increased the deficit? 

Mine went up about $78 per PP. 

Yep, eventually you have to "pay the piper." 

1 hour ago, ClaytoAli said:

you mean backdated to 1-1-18, employers have until 2-15-18 to update their tax withholding from paychecks.

the bill was signed back in December

it depends on whether your employer used provisional tables(which my accountant offered) or waited till the IRS finalized them, which was done last week.

they will further revise w-4's at a later date

See, that's the problem. Too many people are seeing the short term without really thinking about the long term (think decades) of this budget busting bill.

And the Republicans always revile the Democrats to reduce the deficit that they (Republicans) have created. It's sick that it's the people working now will have to deal with reduced Social Security and Medicare, and there won't be a social safety net. It's the poor, sick, young, and elderly who will pay the price for this folly. 

How Christian are these policies? How does this square with Jesus' teachings? 

The short answer is they aren't and they don't. ****ing hypocrites. And despicable human beings.

• Like 1

There is always a short term bump from these kinds of tax cuts.  Again, did people already forget the Bush tax cuts?  People waiving around their refund checks like they just hit the lottery.

There were plenty of Democrats willing to go along with middle class tax cuts, the issue was tying them to ridiculous levels of tax cuts for billionaires, something there was really no justification for.

It's the same bait & switch every single time, and the GOP banks on the general public not being able to learn from the past.

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Thanks 1