Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Comprehensive NFL Draft Thread

Going Commando

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I think Allen would be there at 4. I still think thy should go Barkley 1 and the best Defensive player at 4. 

I've been the one to give that argument before, but it does come down to QB > other positions. Looks the part, seems to have the intangibles and now we need to see whether he can refine his game(rath and read defenses in the NFL. Information gathering by NFL teams always means asymmetrical information relative to draftniks and amateurs.

I think you cross your fingers and hope the Giants are tempted by Darnold or another team makes them an offer they can't refuse for the rights to the 2nd pick. You may get your top QB and top player (Barkley) at salaries more befitting of their positional importance. Depending on the valuation of the next five picks, it may be a good idea to field calls for the pick.

Nevertheless, very plausible we see:

1 - Josh Allen

2 - Sam Darnold

3 - Josh Rosen

Baker Mayfield is a true ? because of the asymmetrical information. 

I’m having a difficult time seeing how Fitz will make it to #13.

Just getting to #12 will be dicey...but let’s pretend that happens. 

If Buffalo is stuck at #12, I think they would take him or they would be interested in letting GB swap picks with them...and GB would take him. The QB they want would have to be gone as well...but that is probably the only way Fitz gets that far anyway. 

If Buffalo trades up...the team they swap with would probably love to have Fitz fall in their laps at #12...or the above scenario with GB could be in play. 

The word I’ve been hearing (coming from Packerland) is they are super high on Ward and Fitz. 

Of course, this is presuming said teams rate him as high as everyone seems to think everyone does. 

I’d rather he get drafted at #5 then get to #12 and get picked right before the Skins ?

7 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

I’m having a difficult time seeing how Fitz will make it to #13.

Just getting to #12 will be dicey...but let’s pretend that happens. 

Pretty easy to see how either Minkah, Ward or James falls.  As for which one that's hard to tell.  Depends on the mock.  Off the top of my head, I'd guess about 75% of mocks out right now has one of those three players falling to 13.  

The thing that would kill the possibility would be this:

A.  Either Roquan Smith or Edmonds fall.  And that would be fine with me because I'd love either player.

B.  All these surprises that we hear people talk about.  A 5th QB getting into the mix.  An OT getting into the mix.  A pass rusher like Landry or Davenport.  Vea going top 12.  All stuff we've seen in a number of mocks and draft geeks are talking about.  None of that happens.  Zero surprises -- which would be rare for the standard draft.  I am not talking about multiple surprises, just one thing has to happen like Vea goes 10 or 11 as a number of mocks have right now.

This guy lays it out perfectly

#Redskins Worst Scenario? Gone by Pick 13: 4 QBs Bradley Chubb Quenton Nelson Saquon Barkley Roquan Smith Denzel Ward Tremaine Edmunds Minkah Fitzpatrick Derwin James Who do they take? Hear they'd go Da'Ron Payne. Skins gotta be hoping one 8 non QBs above makes it to 13. #HTTR

Matt Miller on SticktoFootball podcast did their 1 round mock draft not of what they would do but what they expect. 

Browns - Darnold

Bills - Allen

Jets - Rosen

Dolphins - Mayfield

Broncos - Barkley

Colts - Chubb

Bucs - James

Bears - Nelson

Niners - Edmunds

Raiders - Ward

Browns - McInchey 

Giants - Roquan Smith

Skins - Fitzpatrick

Packers - Landry

Cards - Lamar Jackson

Ravens - Ridley

Chargers - Vea

Seahawks - Josh Jackson

Dallas - Davenport

Lions - Guice

Bengals - Vender Esch

Giants - Wynn

thats when I tuned off. They had very compelling arguments. Said Fitzpatrick falls because he doesn’t have a defined role but he can do it all. Said Washington would be a great fit and he’d make a huge difference in our secondary. 

And man, Giants just make out with their 1st two picks. Eff. 

Sense is Broncos love Mayfield and would pick him at 5 if he’s there. So do the Dolphins so if Jets go Rosen, Dolphins likely trade up for Mayfield. Browns would get 11, their 2nd and a 2019 1st and said it’s compelling for the Browns because the Dolphins won’t be good this year so that 1st should be a Top 10-12 pick next year for the Browns. 

Seemed to think Bills could get to #2 by giving Giants 12, 22 and 51. Said if they get desperate they might throw in their 3rd or their 2 and 3 but nothing about a 1 next year. 

I would not mind Vea at all at 13. I am 50-50 at this point between him and Payne.    I like some of other top DL prospects too, if they can get them with the 2nd pick or another high pick from a trade.

If they skip on both top picks, and only pick up a big guy in the late rounds, I think that would be a bad move. 

I dont want them to over reach but stocking the trenches is a top priority. 

It's a tough situation and hard to predict.   Which is maybe why this draft has been one of the most entertaining to speculate about. 

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

thats when I tuned off. They had very compelling arguments. Said Fitzpatrick falls because he doesn’t have a defined role but he can do it all. Said Washington would be a great fit and he’d make a huge difference in our secondary. 

And man, Giants just make out with their 1st two picks. Eff. 

Minkah or Guice are becoming hot picks at 13.  It's making me worry.  Of late the projected guys don't end up our picks. :)  I think if I recall one had Josh Allen going 17 last year, it might have been Laconfora.

As we get closer to the draft, I think my #1 thing I don't want to happen is Payne at 13.  I don't dislike Payne the way I did for example Malik McDowell last year.    But i am not excited about him as the #13 pick.  If the typical draft geek is right about Payne you can likely get him in the 20s, heck some even have him in the 2nd round including Jeremiah.  To me that would seem like a reach for a guy who I think is a good player but isn't special.  

Just remember that typically every year there is about 3 players or so going much quicker than expected causing 1 or 2 guys to fall way further than predicted. Someone is going to be there that the Skins can use. The question is will they take him or add a 3rd or second. Going to be super interesting. Im still saying Nelson. Just have a feeling.

10 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

Just remember that typically every year there is about 3 players or so going much quicker than expected causing 1 or 2 guys to fall way further than predicted. Someone is going to be there that the Skins can use. The question is will they take him or add a 3rd or second. Going to be super interesting. Im still saying Nelson. Just have a feeling.

I'd love it if its Nelson but that one would stun me in even a bigger way than Jonathan Allen.  I've checked out on Barkley, Chubb, Nelson as pipe dreams so I've stopped paying attention to them.  

Agree though about surprises, it just about always happens and as you get closer you start hearing about possibilities that you didn't hear about previously.

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I have been against picking Vea or Payne in the first round for months. I dont want a one dimensional player at 13.  If the draft falls the wrong way for us though Vea may end up being the pick. If we HAVE to pick one of them I would prefer Vea over Payne. But if any one of these guys are there I would take them over Vea:

1) Roquon Smith.....Beast. And there are some reports of him falling a little bit due to size.

2) Guice....Dude played hurt all year last year and really only started feeling better towards the end of the season

3) Denzel Ward....My number one CB in the draft. Would much rather have a CB at 13 than a NT

4) Derwin James...Not really a need position. But possibly the best defensive player in this draft.

5) Josh Rosen....Ya'll will hate me for this. But Rosen is the best QB in this draft. You cant pass on a franchise QB at 13.

I think Vea gives you some pass rush in a pinch but his real strength is run stopping.  Seems like a big need to me given the fact that skins ranked dead last against the run.  I don’t see Payne as a top tier talent so I would really agree on any of those players over Payne.  The only one I would pick over Vea is Roquan Smith.  (Rosen won’t be there).  I think Smith is more talented than Vea.  I think Guice’s talent level isn’t quite on par with Vea’s same with James.  Ward maybe as talented but I don’t think the roster is deficient at cb as it is at DT.  

I realize it’s a passing league but teams are going to cram it down your throat until you prove you can stop the run. You’ve got one team in your division that will do that regardless (Dallas) and what if NYG get Barkley?  

In my opinion if Vea and Smith are gone I think if the compensation is right you trade down and pick say a Ridley, Hayden Hurst or Michel then try to get Payne or some other DT later in the draft.  The problem is after Payne I think the talent level craters and you get a guy who is only a slight upgrade if any over what is currently on the roster.  (Another reason I really like Vea).  I see Phillips as more of a one gap guy.  I think he will have problems holding the point.  Settle might develop into something in time but I’m lukewarm on him.  I do think Shepherd from Fort Hays is intriguing but he would be a 5 technique.  

Sutton or Ridley at 9

McGlinchey to Browns at 11/12 in a trade down scenario 

Landry going Top 10

5 QBs going Top 10

I actually can’t see a scenario where Nelson falls. I could see one where Bucs go Chubb or Barkley if they fall past Denver I’d Denver goes DB and Colts go Roquan. But those guys fall only in a scenario where QBs go 1-4. Which means Giants are there at 12. And if the Giants are at 12, that is his absolute floor. No way he falls past them to us at 13

and in a scenario where Giants stay at 2 and take Saquan, that’s one guy I could see preventing Broncos/Colts/Bucs passing on Nelson. 

1. Browns - Darnols

2. Giants - Saquan

3. jets - Allen

4. Bills - Mayfield

5. Broncos - Ward 

6. Colts - Chubb

7. Bucs - James

8. Bears - Edmunds 

9. 49ers - Smith

10. Raiders - Fitzpatrick

11. Dolphins - Vea

12. Browns - McGlinchey

Thats the only scenario that Nelson falls to us and would require teams picking at 5,6,7,8 and 9 to pass over one of their biggest needs (OG) for a blue chipper at another position of need. Not saying it’s not possible, but each team needs an OG and would have to decide to go for another need position. And it would require Giants to go Barkley or QB at #2 taking them out of the equation for him at 12 if he fell 

https://zonecoverage.com/2018/vikings/who-are-the-most-polarizing-players-in-the-2018-nfl-draft/

When the Consensus Big Board is published, player variance scores will be published alongside them. A 100 is average, while higher variance scores indicate more disagreement and lower scores indicate less disagreement.

So, who are the most polarizing prospects in the draft?

Rank PLAYER School Position Variance+
29 Josh Allen Wyoming QB 187.3
206 Tarvarius Moore Southern Mississippi S 186.1
46 Kolton Miller UCLA OT 166.7
61 Jessie Bates III Wake Forest S 151.0
7 Sam Darnold USC QB 142.5
125 Geron Christian Louisville OT 138.5
207 Michael Dickson Texas P 138.2
30 James Daniels Iowa OC 133.6
71 Brian O’Neill Pittsburgh OT 132.0
86 Uchenna Nwosu USC EDGE 131.4
75 Rasheem Green USC DT 128.4
81 Tim Settle Virginia Tech DT 128.1
197 Skai Moore South Carolina LB 127.9
244 Christian Campbell Penn State CB 127.9
222 Jeremy Reaves South Alabama S 127.3
57 Harrison Phillips Stanford DT 126.2
53 Austin Corbett Nevada OG 124.6
28 Leighton Vander Esch Boise State LB 121.8
51 Donte Jackson LSU CB 120.8
58 Mason Rudolph Oklahoma State QB 118.6

26 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Thats the only scenario that Nelson falls to us and would require teams picking at 5,6,7,8 and 9 to pass over one of their biggest needs (OG) for a blue chipper at another position of need. Not saying it’s not possible, but each team needs an OG and would have to decide to go for another need position. And it would require Giants to go Barkley or QB at #2 taking them out of the equation for him at 12 if he fell 

If that happens, (and I agree, unlikely), I STILL don't know that I'd want to pick Nelson there.  Guard is a need, but a guard doesn't impact the game as much as a pass-rushing DL, OLB, RB, WR, etc.  And while that would really solidify the only questionable piece of the OL, I'm not sure getting a better guard woudl actually lead to wins.

I'd really like to see them find a way to move down a few spots and pick up another pick, and grab a really good DT, RB, and have a pick available in the 3rd or 4th to pick a guard or TE. I really feel like this is the last year of the Reed/Davis experiment, and we should start planning for that now. So spending a 3rd or 4th on a TE wouldn't be a bad thing (if they can trade back and recoup the 3rd they lost in the Smith trade. 

I add that it still steams be that we didn't bench Cousins and play McCoy at the end of the season, since we KNEW he wasn't coming back, and 

1. Kinda would have been nice to see McCoy plan in some games

2. Could have (probably would have) improved our draft position.  It's not exactly pure tanking, but close enough.  

I'm not sure what the butterfly effect would have been, but if they ended up 5-11 or 6-10, and been picking around 6 to 9, maybe you don't trade with KC, and pick a QB?  Or, if you do trade with KC, maybe the 3rd by itself is good enough? Maybe not, but winning 2 meaningless game against bad teams didn't carry-over any momentum into next season, and just devalued our assets.

This was dumb. I really wish we were picking 6 IN EVERY ROUND.  It's not just the first pick that's important, it's the 7 spot difference in every round.  That is relevant  

/Rant

28 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If that happens, (and I agree, unlikely), I STILL don't know that I'd want to pick Nelson there.  Guard is a need, but a guard doesn't impact the game as much as a pass-rushing DL, OLB, RB, WR, etc.  And while that would really solidify the only questionable piece of the OL, I'm not sure getting a better guard woudl actually lead to wins.

I'd really like to see them find a way to move down a few spots and pick up another pick, and grab a really good DT, RB, and have a pick available in the 3rd or 4th to pick a guard or TE. I really feel like this is the last year of the Reed/Davis experiment, and we should start planning for that now. So spending a 3rd or 4th on a TE wouldn't be a bad thing (if they can trade back and recoup the 3rd they lost in the Smith trade. 

If Nelson is there your proposal is equivalent of taking a double-down on a Black Jack (which is the worst decision you can make in that game - yep even worse than splitting 5s). Yes you could win doing it but it is a bad bet.

Nelson would make our OL eliteeee. 

It it might also make going RB in R2 less of a necessity since you could stick almost anyone back there and be happy with the road graders up front. 

But if your plan is to go OL somewhere in the first 3 picks, nothing wrong with getting th Top prospect on the interior at 13. 

Then you go RB/DT combo with your 2/4 picks and address secondary with the 5s and 6/7s

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd be ok with Fitzpatrick but much prefer James if we're going Safety.

I wildly disagree. 

I love SS. It's my favorite spot in the game. To play, to watch. My eyes just follow the SS. It's possibly the most important on defense and makes all the difference from a good defense being great. Steve A****er changed my life and made me love football like I do.

That said, a SS can't be free, without a solid FS. Free Safety is the most important player on a defense. If you have a Free that can stay single high and still cover outside the numbers on both sides, while keeping the middle closed, it allows 10 other players to play down hill and aggressively.

Fitz is a true Free

James is a SS

9 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Pick 13 is up and Derwin James is there. Pats call and offer 1.31, 2.11 and 3.31. You take it, right? Mock drafted Guice, Ragnow and Phillips in that scenario before going Edmunds and JC Jackson in 3/4

I might take the trade for James, not sure about Fitzpatrick.  But maybe.

The quandary for me in this draft is you likely either get:

A. Stud like Fitzpatrick or James at 13

B. Landing none of the big 5 RBs (Guice, Jones, Michel, Chubb, Penny) or maybe Penny

or

A. A stud doesn't land at 13 or you trade the pick regardless

B. Likely get one of the top RBs but might not get one of the top DTs.

Personally, I like Fitzpatrick but also could see that starts a string of things that ensures they either don't address DT or RB in a big way.   In theory, I like trading down but primarily if its to land Guice or Michel.  If its to take Payne, it becomes less appealing to me.  

The shopping list for RB in the late first/early 2nd seems intense:  Lions, Eagles, Denver, Miami, Colts, Giants (if they don't take Barkley), Tampa.   I don't like their chances at 44 at RB.  And from some stuff I am reading, heck even Walton might go in the 2nd.  Will see.

Broncos GM John Elway confirmed the team's desire to draft a running back.

"It’s hard to predict where they’re going to end up, but it is a deep class," Elway said of this year's crop of running backs. "We feel good about the fact that we’ll be able to get a good one." The Broncos just released their leading rusher from last season, C.J. Anderson, leaving 2016 fourth-rounder Devontae Booker atop the team's running back depth chart. Penn State RB Saquon Barkley could be an option for Denver if he falls to No. 5, though most reports suggests the Giants are targeting him at No. 2. More likely, the Broncos will look to one of Derrius Guice, Sony Michel or Ronald Jones to address their backfield need. That might require them to trade up from No. 40.
Source: Denver Post
Apr 22 - 1:08 PM

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I think Allen would be there at 4. I still think thy should go Barkley 1 and the best Defensive player at 4. 

They need a quarterback.  If they pass on one AGAIN, in this of all years, with two top five picks, then the franchise needs to be contracted immediately.

Listened to Russell, Standig, Hoffman today.  The impression you get from them is:

Derwin James or Minkah Fitpatrick Plan A.

Plan B Trade Down

Plan C If they can't trade down take Da'Ron Payne

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/04/draft-notes-giants-eagles-lamar-jackson

• It’s unclear whether the Dolphins will be targeting a QB with their No. 11 overall pick — or if they will trade up to land a signal-caller — but Florida Football Insiders offers its view as to why Miami should pick Louisville QB Lamar Jackson with its first-round selection.
  • Speaking of Jackson, NFL Network draft guru Mike Mayock (article via Edward Lewis of NFL.com) believes the former Heisman Trophy winner will not only be a first-round pick, but that he could go in the top-10 (he also believes a team could trade up into that territory to land him). But if Jackson is not selected in the first 20 picks, Mayock says the Saints and Patriotswould be two clubs that could target him, as they have the offensive minds to harness Jackson’s talent.

56 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

They need a quarterback.  If they pass on one AGAIN, in this of all years, with two top five picks, then the franchise needs to be contracted immediately.

Even after trading for Taylor?  If I was them, I'd use that first pick on Brakley since they are so bad at picking QBs.  That way they'll have a generational talent RB regardless of the QB.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listened to Russell, Standig, Hoffman today.  The impression you get from them is:

Derwin James or Minkah Fitpatrick Plan A.

Plan B Trade Down

Plan C If they can't trade down take Da'Ron Payne

Reasonable plan.    I would be also be good with getting Vea in a plan C, but if they have to pick at 13 with this scenario, I hope its DL. 

13 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Even after trading for Taylor?  If I was them, I'd use that first pick on Brakley since they are so bad at picking QBs.  That way they'll have a generationaly RB regardless of the QB.

Taylor gives them the chance to take a Allen and groom him. Allen needs work tho so I dont think he goes top 3. Browns could go Barkley and then take Allen at 4 or whoever is left between Darnols and Rosen 

55 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It’s unclear whether the Dolphins will be targeting a QB with their No. 11 overall pick — or if they will trade up to land a signal-caller — but Florida Football Insiders offers its view as to why Miami should pick Louisville QB Lamar Jackson with its first-round selection.

They’ve already got a WR masquerading as a QB. Might as well draft a kick returner that’s masquerading as a QB too  

Archived