Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

Maybe he had a slight stroke. His rambling speech could be a sign of aphasia, which I have a mild case of. He doesn't really do anything before noon, and it sometimes takes me that long to do anything before then except take Dancer out. He doesn't really walk anywhere. His stamina seems suspect. 

He doesn't seem well.

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Maybe he had a slight stroke. His rambling speech could be a sign of aphasia, which I have a mild case of. He doesn't really do anything before noon, and it sometimes takes me that long to do anything before then except take Dancer out. He doesn't really walk anywhere. His stamina seems suspect. 

He doesn't seem well.

I agree. To add to that, if the public saw his actual facial skin tone we would all recoil in horror at how unhealthy he really looks. 

BTW, that nitwit (Jenna Ellis) legal adviser (re: criminal abettor) to Trumpy, also had this ludicrous tweet earlier today:

This is what kills me with right wingers. Their supposed raison d'être is to whine about "snowflakes" and "political correctness" and "culture of victimhood", but when one of them is criticized they make up a totally BS accusation of "sexism" to shield themselves from any criticism if the target happens to be female. Hypocrite clowns.

BTW, this is in reference to her also:

This is her, also claiming an American city isn't a democracy because... reasons?

the gop at large has falsely denied the majority-pervasive racism of their party of white supremacy since i was a kid (just keeping it to my lifespan), though they'd openly admit their fierce detesting (hatred) of homosexuals, atheists,  muslims, and even "longhairs", (the gop truly hated "hippies" for the violent anarchist commie-lovers that they were, and how they were destroying a decent society with their sick ways and beliefs :) )

but another thing they've long denied has been relentless extensive voter suppression..of course these constantly lying right-wingers are more brazen and obvious about it now (and we all know dems have done the gerrymandering thing too at times, yet it's still a case where the two sides are not "the same")

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rising-trump-lawyer-battling-reshape-121702733.html

The Rising Trump Lawyer Battling to Reshape the Electorate

Danny Hakim and Stephanie Saul

The New York TimesJune 15, 2020, 5:17 AM PDT

As victory laps go, it was remarkably low-key.

In the summer of 2013, a young lawyer named William Consovoy appeared on a Brookings Institution panel to discuss his leading role in a recently decided voting-rights case. Just days earlier, the Supreme Court had ruled that certain states, particularly in the South, would no longer need Justice Department approval before redrawing districts, moving polling places or making other electoral changes.

“From my perspective,” Consovoy said, “this is what I would call a modest decision by the court.”

In fact, it was a watershed — a declaration that some of the central protections enshrined in the Voting Rights Act of 1965, an epochal piece of civil rights legislation, had largely outlived their usefulness.

The ruling, in the case of Shelby County v. Holder, further emboldened a Republican-led movement that has inspired a new wave of voting laws — creating stringent identification requirements, bringing broad purges of voter rolls and shuttering thousands of polling places, particularly in minority neighborhoods in states like Georgia, site of a chaotic primary election last week. That campaign has only intensified as President Donald Trump and his party, invoking the specter of rampant voter fraud, are seeking to limit who can vote.

A leading legal champion of this effort has been Consovoy, 45, a Trump lawyer who mixes Jersey guy affability with an affinity for some of the most divisive culture-wars legal disputes. He and his firm have argued against affirmative action at Harvard and for virtually outlawing abortion in Georgia. His work for Trump has centered on the president’s efforts, now before the Supreme Court, to keep his tax returns private — in the course of which Consovoy famously claimed that the president could not be prosecuted while in office, even for shooting someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue.

But it is his work on voting cases across the country that is drawing increasing attention in this presidential election year roiled by pandemic and protest. In recent weeks, his firm, Consovoy McCarthy, has fought against extending the deadline for mail-in voting in Wisconsin, sought to thwart felons from being reenfranchised in Florida and sued to block California’s plan to send absentee ballots to all registered voters.

His pedigree is Republican politics. His grandfather was a central New Jersey mayor. His father served as chairman of the state parole board until resigning amid an investigation into whether he had exchanged favors with members of organized crime. (He denied wrongdoing, and no charges were brought.) If the younger Consovoy’s passion initially tended more toward the Philadelphia Eagles, he eventually ticked the boxes of the conservative legal establishment: law school at George Mason, Supreme Court clerkship with Justice Clarence Thomas, membership in the Federalist Society — grooming for his ubiquity in the voting battles of today.

Janai Nelson, associate director-counsel of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, has been on the opposing side of a number of those cases. Surveying Consovoy’s work from Shelby on, she said he exemplified “that movement of lawyers and zealots who seek to reverse and roll back many of the gains that have really solidified the U.S. as a democracy.”

Consovoy argues otherwise.

He and his law partner, Thomas R. McCarthy, once wrote that the South had been transformed “into a place where racial equality is an institutional priority,” and, citing the election of former President Barack Obama and other black officials, said special protections were no longer needed.

“It is one thing to ban discrimination in voting,” they wrote. “It is another to place an entire region of the country in federal receivership.”

A Family Affair

Consovoy is not the first in his family to intersect with issues of politics and race.

In the spring of 1963, his grandfather, George Consovoy, was seeking reelection as mayor of Franklin Township and had just won a first round of voting when protests erupted to desegregate the schools. Some voters saw him as too close to the civil rights group organizing the protests; Consovoy portrayed himself as a mediator. His opponents, he told the local paper, “have thrown a smoke screen around the entire campaign, going door to door, saying that I favor the transportation of children from one end of town to another,” even though he was “personally opposed to such a plan.”

Nonetheless, he was defeated in a runoff. Nearly six decades later, his son Andrew remembered what his father had told him afterward.

“He said, ‘You know, Andy, if I was going to lose, I couldn’t think of a better reason,’” he recalled in an interview. “And I was very proud of that, and it made a big impression.”

Andrew Consovoy had his own run-in with race and politics in the fall of 1981 as a close aide to the Republican candidate for governor of New Jersey, Thomas H. Kean. Kean won narrowly, and the Democrats accused his campaign of creating a “ballot security task force” to intimidate minority voters at the polls.

The Kean campaign claimed voter fraud, and the Republican governor of Illinois, Jim Thompson, later sent two Chicago police officers to help New Jersey Republicans advance their fraud claims, according to Consovoy, who worked with them.

long piece, much more at link

2 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Rumors floating that Biden's VP shortlist is now down to "only" Kamala, Warren, Susan Rice 🙄, Val Demmings, and Michelle Luhan Grisham.

Any chance he picks one before the DNC in late August?

That was reported in the NY Times and elsewhere over the end of the week/weekend. Those 5 plus Bottoms. Unless you picked up some new rumors that have them dropping her, which would be smart. I saw her on TV a couple fo times lately and she ain't ready for Prime Time. Impressive woman, great mayor, bright future, give her a job somewhere. But she would be almost as dumb a pick as Rice.

Biden said he want to pick one by beginning of August. 

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Rumors floating that Biden's VP shortlist is now down to "only" Kamala, Warren, Susan Rice 🙄, Val Demmings, and Michelle Luhan Grisham.

Probably 2 weeks before. 

6 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I think it'll be Harris, Lance-Bottoms, or Demmings. I thought Grisham had pulled her name. Don't see Rice happening or Warren.  

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

That was reported in the NY Times and elsewhere over the end of the week/weekend. Those 5 plus Bottoms. Unless you picked up some new rumors that have them dropping her, which would be smart. I saw her on TV a couple fo times lately and she ain't ready for Prime Time. Impressive woman, great mayor, bright future, give her a job somewhere. But she would be almost as dumb a pick as Rice.

Biden said he want to pick one by beginning of August. 

Yeah I suspect it its probably from the same sources. I missed Bottoms name on the list so it does look like the same peoples.

Didn't see it mentioned earlier so I thought maybe they were the new rumors...

Archived