Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

27 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Rules vs. Norms.  In the past when the highest delegate candidate goes to the convention, hasn't the candidate with the next highest amount, pledged theirs to the other person to give them the majority?

What will the masses respond to more, the rules or the norms?

To my knowledge it has been along time since a candidate went to the convention without enough delegate votes to win it out right even if the other people did not pledge their delegates.

25 minutes ago, Larry said:

If the state happens that way, what happens?  Does Bernie get all the delegates, despite only getting 35% of the vote?  Do 65% of the delegates just become uncommitted?  

(Yes, I'm aware it's more complicated than that.  For example, Lix might get 14% statewide, but might be over 15% in some CDs.)  

If 35% gets all the delegates, then I'm thinking somebody needs to drop out, or yeah, we can call it for Bernie right now.  No, he won't be a mathematical lock.  But when you factor in the lead he'll have, with the voter's tendency to vote for whoever's leading, he's pretty much a lock.  

I believe they do it at the level of congressional districts and to get a delegate, you have to get at least 15% of the vote in that congressional district.

Bernie's going to end up with a sizable lead.

(I think he's going to win it.)

So right now, I’m thinking I’m about 90% sure it’s gonna be Buttigueg for me on Tuesday.  The other 10% is considering voting Biden because he’s the closest to Buttigueg that actually stands a chance against Sanders.

Id rather be a part of what I believe than having to support a back up at this point though.  Conflicted.

7 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Bernie is holding a rally at my gym tomorrow, which means I (and every other member) won’t be able to use it. On a ****ing Saturday.

Asshole. 

6 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Protest

Go there.  Demand he give the voters 20 minutes on the treadmill.  

10 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Bernie is holding a rally at my gym tomorrow, which means I (and every other member) won’t be able to use it. On a ****ing Saturday.

Asshole. 

I think you should go, and use the gym equipment anyway, dressed like this:

9 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Asshole. 

those dairy protestors had the guts to take the mic out of his hands, what’s your excuse?  Take your gym back from the ruling class!

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

So right now, I’m thinking I’m about 90% sure it’s gonna be Buttigueg for me on Tuesday.  The other 10% is considering voting Biden because he’s the closest to Buttigueg that actually stands a chance against Sanders.

Id rather be a part of what I believe than having to support a back up at this point though.  Conflicted.

Noone has a shot. You are wasting your vote Pete.  If you want to vote non-Sanders then give it to Biden or Bloomberg. They are the only 2 non-Bernie candidates who will be left standing.

20 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

FTFY

Oh, I can certainly see arguments for scrapping the EC.  

One that resonates with me is the notion of getting rid of "battleground states" and "guaranteed states".  Make it a popular vote, and 1,000 votes is 1,000 votes, no matter what state they're in.  (I live in Florida.)  

I'm a lot less sympathetic towards arguments that hinge around "I think it would help my side".  

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I have a 9 day old, my time is too precious. 

Congrats on the new little one.

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

It’s Leg day. 

I'll accept that.  It just not possible to strong arm a Presidential candidate on rubber legs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/opinion/bernie-sanders.html

No, Not Sanders, Not Ever

He is not a liberal, he’s the end of liberalism.

By David Brooks

Feb. 27, 2020

A few months ago, I wrote a column saying I would vote for Elizabeth Warren over Donald Trump. I may not agree with some of her policies, but culture is more important than politics. She does not spread moral rot the way Trump does.

Now I have to decide if I’d support Bernie Sanders over Trump.

We all start from personal experience. I covered the Soviet Union in its final decrepit years. The Soviet and allied regimes had already slaughtered 20 million people through things like mass executions and intentional famines. Those regimes were slave states. They enslaved whole peoples and took away the right to say what they wanted, live where they wanted and harvest the fruits of their labor.

And yet every day we find more old quotes from Sanders apologizing for this sort of slave regime, whether in the Soviet Union, Cuba or Nicaragua. He excused the Nicaraguan communists when they took away the civil liberties of their citizens. He’s still making excuses for Castro.

To sympathize with these revolutions in the 1920s was acceptable, given their original high ideals. To do so after the Hitler-Stalin pact, or in the 1950s, is appalling. To do so in the 1980s is morally unfathomable.

I say all this not to cancel Sanders for past misjudgments. I say all this because the intellectual suppositions that led him to embrace these views still guide his thinking today. I’ve just watched populism destroy traditional conservatism in the G.O.P. I’m here to tell you that Bernie Sanders is not a liberal Democrat. He’s what replaces liberal Democrats........

My wife and I are waiting to see what happens in SC tomorrow before early voting on Sunday. We've been Team Warren the whole way but if she's got no shot, we might vote strategically for Biden rather than for EW. Makes me super bummed but I share the worries about Bernie in the general.

32 minutes ago, JCB said:

My wife and I are waiting to see what happens in SC tomorrow before early voting on Sunday. We've been Team Warren the whole way but if she's got no shot, we might vote strategically for Biden rather than for EW. Makes me super bummed but I share the worries about Bernie in the general. 

I'll save y'all some time. Biden's going to win by a lot.

Bernie...I just...I just want to see Bernie yelling about where you can get the best soup in New York.  Every time I hear him talk I just think he's something out of a Seinfeld episode.  Like if there was ever a Seinfeld episode where Jerry and George are berated by an older man about picking all the wrong places for soup in Manhattan, Bernie would be the guy out of central casting for that role.

Or maybe if he was just cast as George's dad.  No one could do better than Jerry Stiller but I could see Bernie doing a decent job.

YOU CAN LOOK FOR SNEAKERS THE NEXT DAY!!!  SNEAKERS FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!

Archived