Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Anyone else here getting random text messages from people campaigning for Elizabeth Warren? 

I got one earlier this week, pressed the lady on the issues and she folded like a lawn chair.  She admitted she had no idea about what her economic plan was.  She had no idea how the primaries worked and what delegates were.  We had a nice back and forth over some of the issues but when she finally figured I wasn't interested in Warren she huffed off.

And then I got another one today.  Sheesh. 

This is why I didn’t volunteer for the Warren campaign.

I didn’t wanna end up with salty-ass Spiff on the line.  My time is too valuable for that.

5 minutes ago, visionary said:

57% of Dem primary voters?  

Are they remotely close to that figure, nationally?  Or is this state an outlier?  

I'm used to thinking of AA voters as a percentage of all voters.  Guess it makes sense that they'd be a bigger chunk of Dem primary voters.  But I wouldn't have believed that huge a number.  

19 minutes ago, Larry said:

Are they remotely close to that figure, nationally?  Or is this state an outlier?  

I'm used to thinking of AA voters as a percentage of all voters.  Guess it makes sense that they'd be a bigger chunk of Dem primary voters.  But I wouldn't have believed that huge a number.  

I think in the deep South you will find a Stark racial divide between Rs an Ds.

27 minutes ago, Larry said:

I think in the deep South you will find a Stark racial divide between Rs an Ds. Also the demographics of the south still reflect the institution of slavery.

unnamed.gif

Dang.  No wonder the R's want to disenfranchise 'em.  

(Cheap shot.  Had to.) 

16 minutes ago, visionary said:

Yeah, with that 15% rule, and the poll results I've seen, Pete's bargaining position might be better now, than it would be at the convention.  (Or even Wednesday.)  

The job I'd really like to see him in is Veep.  (And "designated successor".)

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Bloomberg was on the fence in fall of 2019 and would only get in if it looked like Biden was faltering and Sanders was gonna be the guy.  It's ironic that Bloomberg probably ends up hurting Biden on Super Tuesday (and ends up helping the Anti-Billionaire Sanders).

6 minutes ago, visionary said:
Re: polls on MFA

It's also remarkable that the leading candidate's signature policy proposal polls 50-60% with the Democratic primary voters.  These are the core of your party and illustrates how much of a long shot MFA is.

2 hours ago, bearrock said:

But don't those two issues show that Dems have moved more left in recent years since the 70's? 

As for the 2008 market crash, at least the Dems seemed to blame it on maladministration and unchecked market, not some wrongheaded government intervention or regulation.  And certainly the response afterwards was in the form of more government oversight and intervention, not less.

As for healthcare, if Dems lacked an appetite to pass a version of the individual mandate during the Ford administration, they certainly didn't lack it during the Obama years.  Isn't that moving left compared to the 70's?

1.  The oversight enacted is still less than what existed under Clinton.

2.  The issue under the Ford and Nixon administration wasn't the individual mandate.  It was whether to pay for healthcare through a pay roll tax.

The ACA is essentially Nixon's plan.

The Democratic party has moved left from when Clinton was President.

4 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Bearrock beat me to it.  I’m curious to know also.  Though I admit I’m only 38 and not a Democrat so it could be something I’m missing.

4 hours ago, bearrock said:

But then does that mean that Obama was not the actual left?  To the extent that some major course correction is needed for the Dems?  If that's gonna be the position of the Dem party going forward, I don't know how many current Dem base they can carry with them.  

The trajectory of the Democratic Party changed quite a bit after Nixon when they were essentially annihilated under the Reagan Revolution. The party has been dragged to the right on pretty much every issue aside from culture ones. Clinton moved toward the center to court Republican/moderate voters and it hasn’t stopped. As republicans continue to push further into right wing lunacy, democrats like Clinton and Obama had to move to the right to meet them halfway and compromise on things. 

no I do not think Obama or Hillary or Bill are the actual left. They are very centrist by comparison to anywhere in the world in the way they governed and in the way they wielded power, or refused to do so. 

the right isn’t going to stop moving to the right. We need a progressive to pull issues back to the left that will fight for the left where compromises can be made in which republicans will have to move leftward in order to compromise. 

This is one reason I support MFA. Even if it doesn’t pass, go for it because a compromise happens on the left and gets us a step closer to a single payer. I feel like if you are going to be a defeatist and say it’ll never happen so your actual policy is already a compromise from MFA, then guess what happens when you try to pass it? You’re going to be forced to water it down and compromise with republicans anyway which means your initial defeatist idea is no longer in play. You’re being pulled to the right because you started too close to center. 

this is why I mention the Overton window a lot and playing by Republican rules. **** that, they don’t pass policy concerned with what Democrats think. We shouldn’t worry about them either. Bring on the true left and pull them and our political center back in line 

Archived