Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

It doesn’t help that cable news is invested in theatrics over substance. 

People don’t like substantive policy discussion because they’re not capable of being involved in the discussion. They find themselves quickly over their head and reduced to just an observer, and generally people don’t like that.

the low-level-thinking stuff lets them tune in/out as they please and say something to participate as they please and it’s a comfortable situation because they never find a spot where they’re not capable of “having a voice” and especially so because they can choose when to have it and when to take a break. They never feel behind, left out, etc. 

we’ve reduced ourselves to a point where candidates for president with substantive ideas and discussions are viewed as boring and lose support (and then tv time and money) while hot take characters suck up everything including votes

trump is not the problem he’s a symptom. 

I dont know how this can be fixed. It requires a level of self awareness and honesty I don’t think the target audience is capable of. 

you know who mocks warren buffet for being a billionaire that talks about how the broken system caters to the rich at the terrible expensive of the rest of us? People who don’t like his policy ideas. 

I expect the same for Bernie. It’ll be a thing for people that don’t like him, even though it’s never a problem for the people they do like, and his supporters will defend him. 

The primary season is my least favorite part of presidential elections. 

9 hours ago, clietas said:

Warren's still easily one of my favorites. Idk anyone else tho that even remotely likes her. It's unfortunate. 

I will mention that I like her.  Her tendency to be very thorough with her policy orientation is good.  Substance over style.

8 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

I will mention that I like her.  Her tendency to be very thorough with her policy orientation is good.  Substance over style.

My friends and family seem to think she's just a ivory tower egg head. One of those professors from college thats always talking down to you. Which is weird since most of my friends and family are damn ivory tower egg heads. It's bizzare to me.

9 minutes ago, clietas said:

My friends and family seem to think she's just a ivory tower egg head. One of those professors from college thats always talking down to you. Which is weird since most of my friends and family are damn ivory tower egg heads. It's bizzare to me.

Its not weird, Elizabeth Warren is a woman.

11 minutes ago, clietas said:

A lot of America has a severe inferiority complex with intellectuals and smart people, especially if they are women. It sucks but it's going to cost Warren.

"Can I have a beer with him/her" is the absolute dumbest metric in politics but for totally ridiculous reasons, it's a real thing.

Just now, BenningRoadSkin said:

Its not weird, Elizabeth Warren is a woman.

Yeah even my lady friends and my SIL equated her to Hillary. Which has been one of my concerns. Warren would be viewed as Hillary 2.0.

2 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

"Can I have a beer with him/her" is the absolute dumbest metric in politics but for totally ridiculous reasons, it's a real thing.

Brought that up many a time already in discussions about Warren. I hate that ****. As if I need to be beer buds with my elected officials. 

Just now, clietas said:

Yeah even my lady friends and my SIL equated her to Hillary. Which has been one of my concerns. Warren would be viewed as Hillary 2.0.

Women don't like women either. That's how corrosive our society is.

Warren is almost nothing like Hillary and is advocating so much different things than Hillary but because she is a woman its easier to lump them together.

It makes total sense to me, sadly.

Obama got the same thing when he ran. Warren isn't as charismatic as Obama, but there is no politician as charismatic as Obama so its an unfair comparison.

3 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Warren is almost nothing like Hillary and is advocating so much different things than Hillary but because she is a woman its easier to lump them together.

It makes total sense to me, sadly.

Its not just other women. Successful women in positions of power are viewed negatively by other women and men alike. 

Warren stands zero chance.

14 minutes ago, clietas said:

Its not just other women. Successful women in positions of power are viewed negatively by other women and men alike. 

Warren stands zero chance.

I still think she has a chance once they hit the debate stage, But I am probably hopeful. Its just rough for me because she is talking clearly about the problems we have with wealth going to the top and is the only candidate who has told her vision for what she will do for the middle class and poor. The fact that this isn't moving people confirms my fears that Americans are too far gone to see the tenuous state we are in. And that she is a woman and we are asking more of her, while Peter B and Beto can share stories about saving cats from trees and that is fine, or Bernie can be an outright asshole at times, or the defense people are giving Biden for invading personal space and better yet having a career where he has actively sought to screw the working class that people think he connects with, it really troubles me.

Americans like sugar more than good medicine... unless its oxycontin or percocet.

19 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Glad to see this. Every single Democrat, local state federal, needs to release their returns. Put Republicans' feet to the fire.

I agree with the first part, but not the last. 

Republicans didn't care about Trump's taxes. He lied about the reason why he "couldn't" release them and got a pass. If anything, it became a pivot to attacking the tax system. 

2 hours ago, clietas said:

Brought that up many a time already in discussions about Warren. I hate that ****. As if I need to be beer buds with my elected officials. 

I think you might be taking the idea too literally. 

I don’t see the desire to have elected officials that understand the type of person you are and can relate to that in some way as being nonsense. 

In fact, it’s the foundation of all the diversity stuff people push all the time. A sitting Supreme Court justice mentioned it as part of her qualifications.

but use a silly saying like “can have a beer with” and those same people go ape **** about it and make references to how stupid the person is for wanting it.

my bet is it has more to do with the people saying it than what is actually being communicated. But whatever. 

2 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Yup. And it’s amazing what a successful woman in power will say about other women, or do to them in the work place. 

Theres a lot of interesting and bad dynamics between people. Only some of them get any attention. 

Archived