Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nationwide Removal of Confederate Statues

No Excuses

1 hour ago, Kosher Ham said:

Have you ever met Pez and Huly that do the Extremeskins Tailgate (with help from a good group of folks)???

She's not a racist not even a little bit. However, she supports the battle flag. 

I disagree with her reasons,but understand her perspective. 

Point being everyone that flies the flag is not racist. 

When you fly 40 ft confederate flags near highways, which they do in different parts of NC, it isn't about heritage. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Have you ever met Pez and Huly that do the Extremeskins Tailgate (with help from a good group of folks)???

She's not a racist not even a little bit. However, she supports the battle flag. 

I disagree with her reasons,but understand her perspective. 

Point being everyone that flies the flag is not racist. 

Right cause they love southern history. Just the beautiful parts of the south and southern culture (which worked to keep southern blacks out of unless they were serving).

Edited by ClaytoAli
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was able to convince a hard core trump supporter that it is ok to remove statues that were put in place simply to intimidate people of color (and to agree on what the does and doesn’t mean, and he was perfectly reasonable about the definition)

it took me like 4 days, spending my vacation with him among others, but I got him to agree to it. 

i think we settled in statues in places about the civil war (like the battle grounds we have in VA, or a museum or whatever) are cool but you don’t need them otherwise

he even agreed we don’t need public roads, bridges, or schools named after them. 

and then the Redskins name thing broke over my vacation and when he saw how visibly angry I was at the news he just calmly looked at me and said “see what you’ve done?”

all in all I’ll prefer to leave those people alone going forward. I was not happy with the effort-to-outcome ratio

• Haha 3

White people (even the not overtly racist ones) are really hung up about these statues. I basically got one guy to say that slavery is in the past and should be forgotten, but the statues need to stay for history. Completely contradictory, he didn't see a problem with that of course...

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Larry said:

Sorry.  But I absolutely refuse to believe any person who says he wants to fly a flag that was never used during the Civil War, because of his desire to preserve history.  

Which flag would that be ?  You aren’t nitpicking between the Stainless Banner, the Blood Stained Banner and the flag of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia ?

Confederate statues stored at Richmond waste water plant

At least some of the Confederate monuments that have been recently removed from places of prominence in Richmond, Virginia, are being stored on the grounds of a waste water treatment plant, photographs show.

Racial_Injustice_Confederate_Monuments_4

Photos taken this week by The Associated Press and Richmond Times-Dispatch show a collection of statues and other large objects under tarps at the facility just outside the city’s downtown.

On July 1, Mayor Levar Stoney ordered the immediate removal of all Confederate statues on city property in Richmond, a onetime capital of the Confederacy. Stoney invoked his emergency powers, citing ongoing civil unrest and concerns that protesters would get hurt if they tried to pull down the enormous statues themselves.

His spokesman, Jim Nolan, did not immediately respond to an inquiry about the storage site Tuesday.

The only Confederate statue that remains on Richmond’s prominent Monument Avenue is a memorial to Gen. Robert E. Lee located on state property. Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam has ordered that statue’s removal, but it has been at least temporarily blocked by a lawsuit.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1

I'm putting this here because this article explains why the Electoral College is a monument to white supremacy. Very interesting, I suggest everyone read it. For clarity, I have been a proponent of the popular vote for President before I could vote, as early as 1968.  The article is text at the beginning followed by Q&A (some below) from Alexander Keyssar about his book Why Do We Still Have the Electoral College? 

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/07/another-monument-to-white-supremacy-that-should-come-down-the-electoral-college/

I thought that was interesting because it showed how white supremacy was baked in from day one.

That’s right. From day one, basically, the slave states and the small states were advantaged by the Electoral College, but slave states were advantaged more.

Going back to the early 20th century, I was struck by the anecdote of Oscar Underwood of Alabama, who ran for Senate attacking the idea of a national popular vote. You quote a campaign pamphlet which says it would  “allow the honest vote of a white man in Alabama to be neutralized by the fraudulent and debauched vote” of women and Black people. 

What I thought was remarkable about the documents that I’d found is it was a primary contest against the one southerner who had advocated a national popular vote. The pamphlet that I was quoting from was really intended for an Alabama audience. And there it becomes very, very clear that the opposition to a national popular vote is grounded in the desire to maintain white supremacy.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, visionary said:

One of those statues being removed is Uriah Milton Rose (one of the founders of the Bar Association, and founder of the Rose Law firm, which you may remember from the Clintons).  He is the one on the far left in the picture above.

U.M. Rose is my great, great, great grandfather (on my mother's side).

Here are the Confederate statues in the Capitol

ARKANSAS

Uriah Milton Rose

rosemiltonuriah_flickr-usgov.jpg

A lawyer known for his fierce loyalty to the Confederacy, Rose served as chancellor of Pulaski County until it was captured by Union forces. He founded the Rose Law Firm in Little Rock in 1865, which later became famous for its role in the 1992 Whitewater controversy that involved former President Clinton. Rose also helped found the American Bar Association.

Now sitting in Statuary Hall, Arkansas donated Rose’s marble statue in 1925. In 2019, Gov. Asa Hutchinson (R) signed legislation to replace the statues of Rose and the late Gov. James P. Clarke with the likenesses of country singer Johnny Cash and civil rights activist Daisy Lee Gatson Bates.

Click on the link for the full list

Since each state gets two representatives to have statues in the Capitol, I wonder who Arkansas will decide to replace him with.

Edited by China
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 7:54 PM, China said:

One of those statues being removed is Uriah Milton Rose (one of the founders of the Bar Association, and founder of the Rose Law firm, which you may remember from the Clintons).  He is the one on the far left in the picture above.

U.M. Rose is my great, great, great grandfather (on my mother's side).

Since each state gets two representatives to have statues in the Capitol, I wonder who Arkansas will decide to replace him with.

I'm hearing they are considering replacing him with Johnny Cash.

55 minutes ago, China said:

I'm hearing they are considering replacing him with Johnny Cash.

You never did answer the question about your ggg grandfather. Did they put the statue there for his work as a confederate or for establishing the bar association?

1 minute ago, nonniey said:

You never did answer the question about your ggg grandfather. Did they put the statue there for his work as a confederate or for establishing the bar association?

I didn't realize that was a question.  They put him there for his work in establishing the bar association among other things.  A little more about him:

In October 1905, President Theodore Roosevelt took an extensive trip across the South, including Little Rock, where he attended a luncheon. At that luncheon, Rose toasted the president, who responded by saying, “Judge Rose stands today as one of that group of eminent American Citizens, eminent for their services to the whole country, whom we know as the leaders of the American bar.”

The following year, President Roosevelt, who was in the process of selecting representatives to a second conference to discuss international rules of war, asked Rose to come to Washington in February 1906 to discuss it with him. He appointed Rose as a delegate to the Second Hague Peace Conference held in 1907. The delegates appointed by Roosevelt were given the status of ambassadors to enhance their ability to represent the United States.

In 1915, the Arkansas General Assembly voted to place a marble statue of Rose in Statuary Hall in the U.S. Capitol. Justice Felix Frankfurter of the U.S. Supreme Court wrote, “n my early years at the bar U. M. Rose was one of the luminaries of our profession—not merely a very distinguished practitioner but a highly cultivated, philosophical student of civilization and of the role of law and the lawyers in progress of civilization.” 

Link

Just now, China said:

I didn't realize that was a question.  They put him there for his work in establishing the bar association among other things.  A little more about him:

Link

Then they shouldn't take him down or at least not take him down for that reason (Tennessee replacing him for someone they like more would be ok).