Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nationwide Removal of Confederate Statues

No Excuses

• 2 weeks later...

An Emancipation Statue Debuts In Virginia Two Weeks After Robert E. Lee Was Removed

Two weeks after the 6o-foot-tall statue of Robert E. Lee was removed in Richmond, Va., the former Confederate capital city will become home a new statue, this one commemorating the abolition of slavery.

patina-finish-male-123139182f9210aa2e5dd

The Emancipation and Freedom Monument — designed by Thomas Jay Warren, a sculptor based in Oregon — was installed on Brown's Island on the James River in downtown Richmond, about 2 miles from where the Lee statue once stood.

Click on the link for the full article

58 minutes ago, China said:

An Emancipation Statue Debuts In Virginia Two Weeks After Robert E. Lee Was Removed

Two weeks after the 6o-foot-tall statue of Robert E. Lee was removed in Richmond, Va., the former Confederate capital city will become home a new statue, this one commemorating the abolition of slavery.

patina-finish-male-123139182f9210aa2e5dd

The Emancipation and Freedom Monument — designed by Thomas Jay Warren, a sculptor based in Oregon — was installed on Brown's Island on the James River in downtown Richmond, about 2 miles from where the Lee statue once stood.

Click on the link for the full article

What’s ironic is the general consensus in the area is get away from all statues and convert to more green area.  Most just feel they cause more issues than they are worth.  Most felt if they needed statue type stuff make it abstract or like fountains though some are concerned what may happen in said fountains… If you read articles out of news site from Richmond you can already see the statue stirring arguments in comments.  Anything race, civil war, etc was gonna do that. That’s why there’s a lot of concern in how monument Avenue is redone.  Many think it’s gonna be a political pandering issue.  

Edited by RichmondRedskin88
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Given the whole history of statues and such, I’m cool with a new statue that is a tribute to the freeing of slaves. Probably need quite a few more. 

I was in Charlottesville in august. Uva put a new monument up in recent years (don’t know when but it looked new). It has the story of the slaves that were used to build the school. I learned a lot about that area, during that time, that I otherwise wouldn’t have known.  Spent like 20 minutes there. But that’s all it took. Which, I think is the point. To make sure that part of history, the part where certain people where abused horrendously, isnt lost or whitewashed over. 

so the people that have a problem with some statues to honor the people our country wrongfully and shamefully abused… can go **** off somewhere else with their gripes. 

the fact that there’s likely a crossover with many of them with being against removal of confederate statues, or thinking BLM is a terrorist organization, or any of the other ridiculous things… whatever. You people suck. 

we’d be better off without you. You hold this whole country back, and for a heinous reason. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

25 minutes ago, clietas said:

Richmond needs to be smart on what they replace the Confederate monuments with. Nippleus Erectus and Oderus Urungus should be at the top of their lists. The Nippleus Erectus Memorial Gardens could rival the likes of the Royal Botanic Gardens or Keukenhof.

The best we can do for you right now.  Still pretty great.

https://gwarbar.com/

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

f you read articles out of news site from Richmond you can already see the statue stirring arguments in comments.  Anything race, civil war, etc was gonna do that. That’s why there’s a lot of concern in how monument Avenue is redone.

nobody cares about the comments section under news articles. I would imagine there is a lot of argument being stirred and most likely those people are racists that are upset their monument to white supremacy was taken down to widespread applause. We shouldn’t base our decisions off comment sections nor try to appease racists. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Work on the statues started in 2012.

Brown’s Island has nothing to do with Monument Avenue.

^^^^This is the guy that told us last Summer that roving gangs of BLM were going to invade the suburbs and burn down white people’s homes.

So….c’mon.

(You know I was gonna get into this with you again. But I’m not.  So I edited. We did this last year and I’m not derailing a thread to do this again  You know full well I didn’t say that. But if you want to lie here and say I said it was BLM that’s fine.  I don’t care. You do you. If you want to deny the riots you do you.  But feel free to explain why numerous business that said their business’s have been hurting since the riots.  You know the ones didn’t pack up and leave the city after being burned down.  Ironically most were black business owners that said the city betrayed them.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clietas said:

Richmond needs to be smart on what they replace the Confederate monuments with. Nippleus Erectus and Oderus Urungus should be at the top of their lists. The Nippleus Erectus Memorial Gardens could rival the likes of the Royal Botanic Gardens or Keukenhof.

I agree Richmond needs to be smart but if you look on indeed right now they have one year 50,000 salary contracts to redesign monument.  That doesn’t make you optimistic.  You’d think after the most famous road in a city completely changes and needs to be revamped that you would call a major architect firm or something.  Atleast that’s what I would do.  Along with calling the local university which is one of the best art schools in the country. 

• Thumb up 1

58 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

People in Richmond who can speak for local black business owners, besides local black business owners…ranked:

1. literally anyone

2. me

3. RR88

I mean he’s not wrong 🤷🏻‍♂️

https://vpm.org/news/articles/13884/richmond-small-businesses-damaged-amid-protests

https://www.google.com/amp/s/richmond.com/news/local/floyd-one-year-later-broad-street-never-really-recovered-richmond-business-owners-who-watched-the/article_2a3a55be-f889-587b-95ed-bedee1590b14.amp.html

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/06/01/black-owned-businesses-post-signs-stop-vandalism-looting/

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/05/30/its-not-fair-business-owners-clean-up-after-overnight-protests/

covid obviously had a factor but most black owned businesses are in lower poverty areas where protesting/riots tend to be more vulnerable.

Edited by steve09ru

40 minutes ago, steve09ru said:

Sigh…the white privilege coming off of this post is thicker than any tear gas I’ve ever felt.

Anyhoo, here’s the last stanza from the only link above that was published within the last 16 months.

Most of what we saw was nonviolent. Our dumpster was lit on fire. There was some vandalism. It was overdramatized to a certain extent and that left a stigma.

Broad Street never really recovered. No one ever unboarded. To us, it was such an unwelcoming feeling downtown with the police presence and barricades everywhere. It felt like the Broad Street I grew up with. There was no reason to be here.

COVID exacerbated all of it. You can see the energy coming back. We’ve turned a corner.

Everything that happened negatively affected our business, but the societal and social change that comes from it is positive and worth it.

• Thanks 1

If the “gotcha” here is that business owners in those areas are upset, and that there are plenty that are black, then that’s a thing everywhere those protests went on. 

i think that’s but a small corner of the picture @TryTheBeal!is painting here. 

and yeah, I remember the posts, the discussion, and yeah it’s a small corner. 

41 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Sigh…the white privilege coming off of this post is thicker than any tear gas I’ve ever felt.

Anyhoo, here’s the last stanza from the only link above that was published within the last 16 months.

Most of what we saw was nonviolent. Our dumpster was lit on fire. There was some vandalism. It was overdramatized to a certain extent and that left a stigma.

Broad Street never really recovered. No one ever unboarded. To us, it was such an unwelcoming feeling downtown with the police presence and barricades everywhere. It felt like the Broad Street I grew up with. There was no reason to be here.

COVID exacerbated all of it. You can see the energy coming back. We’ve turned a corner.

Everything that happened negatively affected our business, but the societal and social change that comes from it is positive and worth it.

“White privilege” coming off the post? 😂 I was simply showing what black business owners felt in the immediate area.  Small scale or large.  You’re literally the one who put up the ranking board of those who could speak for black businesses and I just added in the black businesses who actually did speak.

and why is “16 months” the cutoff?  All of the articles were relevant and encompassed the time of what was brought up.

40 minutes ago, tshile said:

If the “gotcha” here is that business owners in those areas are upset, and that there are plenty that are black, then that’s a thing everywhere those protests went on. 

i think that’s but a small corner of the picture @TryTheBeal!is painting here. 

and yeah, I remember the posts, the discussion, and yeah it’s a small corner. 

See above- The “feelings” is what was portrayed and I was simply providing “feelings” of those who were victims 

Edited by steve09ru