Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nationwide Removal of Confederate Statues

No Excuses

17 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Posting here unless someone has a better suggestion. 

This was my first ship.  And I get the sentiment of wanting to change the name but......

Sailors are notoriously superstitious.  And changing the name of a ship is REALLY bad luck.

@skinsmarydu your thoughts?

I think generally morale of our soldiers is more important (even if based on superstition) than removing confederate commemoration.  Maybe announce no future ships will be named after confederate figures but leave the current ones alone?

• Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I think generally morale of our soldiers is more important (even if based on superstition) than removing confederate commemoration.  Maybe announce no future ships will be named after confederate figures but leave the current ones alone?

My thoughts exactly.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bearrock said:

21 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

My thoughts exactly.

Serious question:  What do you think about the morale of black sailors that have to serve on a ship named in honor of a confederate victory?  

9 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Serious question:  What do you think about the morale of black sailors that have to serve on a ship named in honor of a confederate victory?  

It's a fair question and I have no idea.  

Can we name a town in New Mexico or something Chancellorville and pretend that the ships is named after that?  

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I know this is anecdotal and I wasn't inside people's head, but I never heard one complaint.  And Sailors are not shy about complaining about anything.  We had to encourage Sailors to know their ship's history, namesake, etc.  I'd bet a hefty sum that the majority of Sailors couldn't tell if Chancellorsville was a person, place, or thing.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bearrock said:

I think generally morale of our soldiers is more important (even if based on superstition) 

So back to banning women from the navy? I mean, for most of history, it was believed to be bad luck to have a woman on a ship, so it's better safe than sorry, right?

Yeah, that was a cheap shot, but so is running the military based on beliefs less serious than astrology, so when do we kick women off all the boats?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, GhostofSparta said:

So back to banning women from the navy? I mean, for most of history, it was believed to be bad luck to have a woman on a ship, so it's better safe than sorry, right?

Yeah, that was a cheap shot, but so is running the military based on beliefs less serious than astrology, so when do we kick women off all the boats?

I think gender equality is more important than confederate commemoration so one wins over superstition, the other doesn't *shrug*

I mean we can hang a banner on every vessel declaring that confederates were big honking bunch of losers and so were the morons who thought naming US Navy ships in commemoration of traitors were a good idea.  But if sailors feel squeamish about changing ship names, I don't think it's big enough of a deal to change em (whereas refusing to serve with female soldiers is a much bigger deal).

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

https://www.boaterexam.com/blog/boater-superstitions/

Look man, I'm not a sailor so I don't make the rules. But if we can let women and redheads on board, sail on Thursdays and Fridays, let people onboard who are in debt, and not force them to wear gold hoop earrings so they don't drown, then maybe we can rename ships named after racist traitors. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

14 hours ago, GhostofSparta said:

https://www.boaterexam.com/blog/boater-superstitions/

Look man, I'm not a sailor so I don't make the rules. But if we can let women and redheads on board, sail on Thursdays and Fridays, let people onboard who are in debt, and not force them to wear gold hoop earrings so they don't drown, then maybe we can rename ships named after racist traitors. 🤷‍♂️

Obviously some of those must be broken (women and weekends) and bananas because we need vitamins.  That doesn’t mean all just go out the window.  And some people have a varying level of commitment. 

20220309_115149_IMG_1827.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Amid Expulsion Vote In House, Tennessee Sen Quietly Names April ‘Confederate History Month’

The ghost of the Confederacy hangs heavily over the Tennessee Legislature.

Justin Jones, one of two Black members expelled from the state’s House of Representatives in April 2023, had run afoul of House leadership before. In 2019, as a private citizen, he was arrested following his actions in protesting a bust in the state capitol honoring Nathan Bedford Forrest, a Confederate general and later Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan.

While the expulsion of Jones and his colleague, Justin J. Pearson, riveted the nation’s attention, a curious and related event in the Legislature’s other branch, the Tennessee Senate, passed nearly unnoticed.

On Feb. 3, 2023, two state senators issued a formal proclamation commemorating April 2023 as Confederate History Month and encouraging “all Tennesseans to increase their knowledge of this momentous era in the history of this State.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb down 1

An Army fort named after Robert E. Lee now honors 2 pioneering Black officers

Fort Lee, the U.S. Army's Virginia garrison named after the slave-holding leader of Confederate forces during the Civil War, became Fort Gregg-Adams on Thursday in a ceremony that renamed the base after two Black officers whose struggles paved the way for a more inclusive military.

The post is one of nine that the Pentagon has said will be redesignated to remove names, symbols or other displays that commemorate the Confederacy.

Lt. Gen. Arthur Gregg, the first African American to achieve such a high rank, retired in 1981 after serving as the Army's deputy chief of staff, logistics. He becomes the only living soldier in modern history to have an installation named in his honor. Lt. Col. Charity Adams joined the newly created Women's Army Auxiliary Corps in 1942 and was the highest-ranking Black woman of World War II.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Fort Bragg, N.C., has been renamed Fort Liberty by the U.S. Army

North Carolina's Fort Bragg is now Fort Liberty, as the US Army on Friday redesignated one of the largest military installations in the world.

The renaming was formalized in a ceremony on Friday morning.

The change follows a branch-wide push to rename bases that bear the name of Confederate leaders. It was previously named after Gen. Braxton Bragg, an unpopular Confederate general who garnered a lot of criticism for his hot temper, combative personality, and often subpar performance on the field.

Fort Liberty is among nine bases that a congressional commission proposed renaming, but while the others have been – or are expected to be – redesignated after notable people, Fort Liberty will be the only facility named after a value.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

On 3/2/2023 at 11:45 AM, TheGreatBuzz said:

I know this is anecdotal and I wasn't inside people's head, but I never heard one complaint.  And Sailors are not shy about complaining about anything.  We had to encourage Sailors to know their ship's history, namesake, etc.  I'd bet a hefty sum that the majority of Sailors couldn't tell if Chancellorsville was a person, place, or thing.

Pressure to conform, and the normative nature of names people have long used among other things, probably assures that won’t be an issue. Aside from that, as you alluded to, most may not have known. If they did, it was probably discussed and possibly ridiculed only among themselves.

Personally, I’d be satisfied with adding (Known Traitor) after all those names. Chancellorsville would be a little more interesting, but I’m sure there’s a way to succinctly add context.

I live two blocks away from what used to be called Confederate Ave. I’m still disappointed that the city didn’t take my suggestion to rename it Confederate Traitors Ave. and instead chose United Ave. 

Edited by The Sisko