Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trent Murphy Torn ACL Done For Season,Su’a Cravens Out 2-3 weeks

desertbeagle85

33 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Who would start instead of Su'a? (Serious question.)

Everett. Even if Su'a played this preseason, I'd lean toward playing Everett over him. I doubt the coaches would do that because he's a hyped up 2nd rounder, but when you put that aside, Everett got better every game last year. Really reminded me of Kyshon.

And if Nico Marley keeps playing like this, he's going to be a lock for the 53. Honey Badger is only 5'8"... Size matters, but for a select few, it just doesn't apply.

3 hours ago, The Mayor of Fed Ex Field said:

Medical records are private.  It is not out of the question that a player has "faked" and injury for some reason or another in the history of the league.

Zeke Elliot is about to be suspended 4-6 games.  He is better than a B rated player. He could fake an injury in two weeks and use team facilities while on suspension if they allowed suspended players whom were injured to be in contact.

Medical records are private unless there is a release of information or subpoena.  Nobody with a license is going to put their asses on the line to have a player sneak around a suspension.  The possibility of the history of it happening has nothing to do with it happening in the future.  If the medical professionals get caught, then they are done.  Not fired, not just suspended, but very likely out of the field altogether AND being given civil and potentially criminal penalties.  If a ball boy deflating a ball could hurt the golden team, then imagine a medical professional faking player care (for or against) with all this CTE stuff going on.

This isn't like signing off on a homework assignment; this carries a MASSIVE liability.

12 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

If a ball boy deflating a ball could hurt the golden team...

Whatever ball boy you are hypothetically referring to would get his job back when a court of law, not a league sponsored shakedown, determined there really was nothing to whatever hypothetical scandal would cause him to lose his job in the first place. 

Remember (hypothetically, of course) the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals would not rule on the merits behind a suspension. They would only rule that the Commissioner has the authority to impose one under Article 46 of the CBA.

Bring it full circle and back to Trent Murphy (you know, because the above was a hypothetical), I think it full depends on what rights the player contractually grants the League through the NFLPA in order to play in the League. If privacy of medical records were absolute, there wouldn't couldn't be an accurate injury report every week.

Depending on severity of the injury, which is moot at this point, the player could presumably demonstrate a fitness to play at say 75% and get an extra month to rehab to get that much closer to 100%.

1 hour ago, Boss_Hogg said:

So does this mean Trent has to serve his 4 game suspension in 2018?

1 hour ago, SkinsGuy said:

I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

I think if he doesn't get paid for the first 4 weeks of the season, that will count as his suspension.

First 4 games this year count as serving his suspension even with him being on IR.

20 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

@AdamSchefter: Washington LB Trent Murphy has a torn ACL, as @nflnetwork reported, but also has a torn MCL as well, per source. Season-ending injury.

ACL and MCL?? He may never be the same

Not really 'ever' but you'd expect a year of soft play as it won't be close enough to normal after 1-year.

1 hour ago, TheShredder said:

Not really 'ever' but you'd expect a year of soft play as it won't be close enough to normal after 1-year.

He didn't have much athleticism to lose in the first place, so idk what the impact will be on his game once he's healthy again. The ACL/MCL combo is really bad for a player who already lacks explosion

Not trying to make light of an injury to a player who has produced for this team but luckily  the injury happened at one of the spots we have depth at, and to a player who was only going to be available for 12 games to begin with.

The OLB rotation/competition picture becomes a little clearer now. Will the primary starting OLB opposite Kerrigan be Smith or Anderson? With Jay's comments about experimenting with Smith as a down lineman more this year I think we see them on the field simultaneously a lot too. If Anderson continues to build on his performance last night I'm no longer counting him as a mid season threat to take Smith's job, he could be ready a lot sooner.

Is this the last year on Murphy's contract as well? If so, he just got a lot cheaper to re-sign and I wouldn't be surprised if he is only considered as a down-lineman moving forward after the knee injury. They might tell him to spend the injury time bulking back up in addition to rehab.

36 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Not trying to make light of an injury to a player who has produced for this team but luckily  the injury happened at one of the spots we have depth at, and to a player who was only going to be available for 12 games to begin with.

I'm in firm agreement with @DC Lumber Co. on this one.  

We all know injuries are a part of the game, so it's a bit of c'est la vie to me.  And to go even further in the ruthless pragmatism direction, this unfortunate circumstance provides real opportunity for some on the roster (I'm looking at you Preston Smith).  

The ultimate question is who will decide to take advantage of it?  Smith, Galette, Anderson, or no one?

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Do guys get tested for HGH while on IR? Asking for a friend.

Seriously, this could be career challenging and he was ready for a break out year. He was in every play last night.

The timing of his suspension around the time he was abruptly switching from bulking to cutting weight, this injury for a player without much past injury history, and his spike in sack production could all support the idea that he was juicing. It could also be coincidence. Players that juice often are plagued by injuries and are synonymous with one-season-wonder stories.

If he works hard in rehab he will get another shot somewhere if not here. The team has shown patience with injured players to get a shot to earn a roster spot (Galette)... Especially when it's of little risk to the team financially to do so (Galette). Murphy will almost certainly be a bargain after this injury, and his versatility to convert to DL will only help his chances even if he loses the athletic ability needed to play OLB ever again. A less athletic Murphy is still athletic enough to play DL. He's already proven he can carry the weight necessary too.

14 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that injuries will come much more often than we would like for Sua Cravens.

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Seriously, this could be career challenging and he was ready for a break out year. He was in every play last night.

"Players subject to the blood testing must be on the active roster, practice squad or on injured reserve, and not already subject to reasonable-cause testing." Link

11 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Another way to look at it is Murphy really didn't do anything until last year, now we know he had illegal help to make that jump. With the suspension, the absence of this illegal help, and Galette, Anderson and Smith in the mix, I am not convinced he was going to take the next step. No I saw him as a role player getting very few snaps.  Not trying to be unsympathetic to his situation, very bad news that he was hurt so badly, but I was not in the camp that believe he was going to have a break out year. 

Thoughts:

Su'a is a fairly special playmaker but seems like Chris Thompson early in his career when he just couldn't stay on the field. Everett has steadily improved, stays healthy and looks the part. I would ease cravens in as a nickel type player or as a situational player. 

Sucks with trent. I've been impressed with his improvement. Fortunately we have depth and barring further injuries we are still ok. More snaps for Anderson who, not surprisingly, looks game ready. Hopefully we resign Trent. 

Alabama rookies will contribute early and could be big time players by the end of the year. 

Nico is the obvious man crush for everyone and bottom line he fits that mold of football player we've been targeting. Forget about size, if he's consistently making plays he will continue to force the coaches to bump him higher. 

5 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Another way to look at it is Murphy really didn't do anything until last year, now we know he had illegal help to make that jump. With the suspension, the absence of this illegal help, and Galette, Anderson and Smith in the mix, I am not convinced he was going to take the next step. No I saw him as a role player getting very few snaps.  Not trying to be unsympathetic to his situation, very bad news that he was hurt so badly, but I was not in the camp that believe he was going to have a break out year. 

or maybe it turns out he needed the extra weight.  He put on extra to play DE and I doubt he could have cut it all by the end of camp

Archived