Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

His Name is KIRK!

Darrell Green Fan

Whatever. Kirk....Kurt. I doesn't matter. The QB has not been signed. 

But I will ask this question......

What 28 year old player is willing to move on to another team that needs a QB? I don't know of a team that needs a QB and is just a QB away from being a contender. In other words, the only teams looking for a QB is a bad team.  So Kirk is willing to move on to one of those teams and go through more years of mediocrity? That my friend is what you call "all about the $$".

Please believe me when I say Kirk is delusional to think he has the ability to carry a team on his back. He has to know that he needs weapons and a line to prosper. He hasn't shown the ability to improvise if the line breaks down. I'm interested to know if there is a QB needy team that has a good offensive line.  If not, 28 years old is going to turn into 38 real fast. 

But

It's all good if Kirk is all about that dollar bill. But don't ask me to support that mindset. We've had those kind of players in the past. Namely this fat ass nose guard that will remain nameless and just about the entire 2000 Redskins team. Just sayin'....

We'll see.... 

A lot of older blacks from the Midwest and south pronounce "G" as "S"--for example, "sausage" ends up sounding like "sauces". Same with "TH" and "F"..."South" sounds like "Souf". That was my dad and many of his relatives and people he grew up with. I didn't pronounce those sounds the way he did. And Asian accents often pronounce "L" as "R"...my Asian neighbor once told me her brother was a pirate...when I sounded confused and repeated it back she smiled and said, slowly, "pi-lot", to make sure she said it correctly.

So, yes, accents can and do involve pronouncing one letter as another.

But I can't believe anyone actually gives two ****s about this.

Allen isn't purposefully mispronouncing Kirk's name, nor is he being lazy or stupid. Good lord. Not to mention Kirk has undoubtedly heard Allen pronounce his name numerous times to him IN PERSON...he's fully aware of how Allen says his name. My guess is that he has zero problem with it. But if you want to be outraged on his behalf anyway have at it.

I understand being pissed off at Allen, but your emotional state doesn't suddenly mean your every negative conclusion about the man has now been given validation.

6 hours ago, joeken24 said:

Whatever. Kirk....Kurt. I doesn't matter. The QB has not been signed. 

But I will ask this question......

What 28 year old player is willing to move on to another team that needs a QB? I don't know of a team that needs a QB and is just a QB away from being a contender. In other words, the only teams looking for a QB is a bad team.  So Kirk is willing to move on to one of those teams and go through more years of mediocrity? That my friend is what you call "all about the $$".

Please believe me when I say Kirk is delusional to think he has the ability to carry a team on his back. He has to know that he needs weapons and a line to prosper. He hasn't shown the ability to improvise if the line breaks down. I'm interested to know if there is a QB needy team that has a good offensive line.  If not, 28 years old is going to turn into 38 real fast. 

But

It's all good if Kirk is all about that dollar bill. But don't ask me to support that mindset. We've had those kind of players in the past. Namely this fat ass nose guard that will remain nameless and just about the entire 2000 Redskins team. Just sayin'....

We'll see.... 

As I said to another poster if you are going to get angry at players for trying to maximize their earnings then you should just follow college sports.  EVERY pro athlete is "all about the dollar" and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  There is also a brotherhood and Kirk feels an obligation to set the bar as high as possible for the next QB whose contract is coming up.

12 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Alken isn't purposefully mispronouncing Kirk's name, nor is he being lazy or stupid. Good lord. Not to mention Kirk has undoubtedly heard Allen pronounce his name numerous times to him IN PERSON...he's fully aware of how Allen says his name. My guess is that he has zero problem with it. But if you want to be outraged on his behalf anyway have at it.

I understand being pissed off at Allen, but your emotional state doesn't suddenly mean your every negative conclusion about the man has now been given validation.

See the post above yours.  There is no excuse for this, it's embarrassing and unprofessional.  

Imagine if you were some hot shot salesman of the year and your boss still called you Califun after you have been there for 5 years. Now imagine a rival company is trying to lure you away and you heard your boss say "we really value Califun and will do what it takes to keep him" before offering a raise way lower than what the other company is offering.  Still feel like your company really values you?

24 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

See the post above yours.  There is no excuse for this, it's embarrassing and unprofessional.  

Imagine if you were some hot shot salesman of the year and your boss still called you Califun after you have been there for 5 years. Now imagine a rival company is trying to lure you away and you heard your boss say "we really value Califun and will do what it takes to keep him" before offering a raise way lower than what the other company is offering.  Still feel like your company really values you?

Either you don't understand what I'm saying or you don't understand what YOU'RE saying. And that's me giving you the benefit of the doubt.

And for the record I get my real name mispronounced all the time, including by supervisors and bosses I've had. And I'm intelligent enough to understand why they do. Only in the throws of emotion would I chalk it up to laziness, stupidity or people purposefully wanting to do so.

11 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Either you don't understand what I'm saying or you don't understand what YOU'RE saying. And that's me giving you the benefit of the doubt.

And for the record I get my real name mispronounced all the time, including by supervisors and bosses I've had. And I'm intelligent enough to understand why they do. Only in the throws of emotion would I chalk it up to laziness, stupidity or people purposefully wanting to do so.

I understood both points perfectly.  I also understand if you were at a company for 5 years and were valued as highly as Kirk is and still have no problem if your boss still can not pronounce your name you my friend are the exception. Trust me it would bother most.  I mean it's not some 10 character Greek name, his name is a common 4 letter name.  The clown at the top needs to get it right, especially when it's been pointed out repeatedly.  That goes double considering this quote was to an angry fan base demanding answers.   

11 hours ago, spjunkies said:

People are losing their damn minds about this. I have to hear Gram Paulsen cry about this stupid issue on a weekly basis!

Yeah, it's perfectly fine and normal to mispronounce someone's name,..that someone being a player that's been a part of your organization for almost 5 years.  And to do it in an official statement representing the team shows a complete lack of professionalism.  He's either a complete ahole, spectacular moron or both.  

What an embarrassment.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

A lot of older blacks from the Midwest and south pronounce "G" as "S"--for example, "sausage" ends up sounding like "sauces". Same with "TH" and "F"..."South" sounds like "Souf". That was my dad and many of his relatives and people he grew up with. I didn't pronounce those sounds the way he did. And Asian accents often pronounce "L" as "R"...my Asian neighbor once told me her brother was a pirate...when I sounded confused and repeated it back she smiled and said, slowly, "pi-lot", to make sure she said it correctly.

So, yes, accents can and do involve pronouncing one letter as another.

Allen isn't purposefully mispronouncing Kirk's name, nor is he being lazy or stupid. Good lord. Not to mention Kirk has undoubtedly heard Allen pronounce his name numerous times to him IN PERSON...he's fully aware of how Allen says his name. My guess is that he has zero problem with it. But if you want to be outraged on his behalf anyway have at it.

So,...what you're saying is Bruce is either an older black man from the midwest or Asian,......

ice_cube_wtf_gqvqs30u.gif

17 minutes ago, Probos said:

Yeah, it's perfectly fine and normal to mispronounce someone's name,..that someone being a player that's been a part of your organization for almost 5 years.  And to do it in an official statement representing the team shows a complete lack of professionalism.  He's either a complete ahole, spectacular moron or both.  

What an embarrassment.

This.  Allen was releasing the official statement on how they somehow let this happen.  Getting the name wrong in this context is embarrassing, unprofessional and a complete reflection on how this team has been run.   Is anyone ready to argue that unprofessional and embarrassing is not a good description for how our team has been run?  

The  Redskins are once again a big story on all the national sports shows.  And as always it's not for a good reason, once again the league is laughing at us.

18 minutes ago, Probos said:

What an embarrassment.

The guy could have a speech impediment where he has a hard time pronouncing Kirk. Nothing sinister involved.

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I understood both points perfectly.  I also understand if you were at a company for 5 years and were valued as highly as Kirk is and still have no problem if your boss still can not pronounce your name you my friend are the exception. Trust me it would bother most.  I mean it's not some 10 character Greek name, his name is a common 4 letter name.  The clown at the top needs to get it right, especially when it's been pointed out repeatedly.  That goes double considering this quote was to an angry fan base demanding answers.   

No...you don't understand what you are really saying here and before. Because you're saying a helluva lot more than you think.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

You're black?

I don't know if you're joking or not lol...but yeah, I'm black. *thumbsup*

29 minutes ago, Probos said:

So,...what you're saying is Bruce is either an older black man from the midwest or Asian,......

The sad part is that there will be a few on this site who actually reach that conclusion lol...

I must admit on the list of things to dislike about Bruce Allen, I thought this whole Kurt thing was a huge stretch.  But everyone is jumping in on this now, even Schefter this morning. 

While I still think perhaps this is just the way he pronounces the name Kirk, there is definitely a small part of me that thinks he's petty enough to pronounce it as Kurt just to be an asshole.

If "supervisors and bosses" or anyone you have a longterm relationship with mispronounce your name "all the time," sorry, but that's most definitely laziness, stupidity or, worse, apathy. 

blacks from the Midwest and south pronounce "G" as "S"--for example, "sausage" ends up sounding like "sauces". Same with "TH" and "F"..."South" sounds like "Souf". That was my dad and many of his relatives and people he grew up with. I didn't pronounce those sounds the way he did. And Asian accents often pronounce "L" as "R"...my Asian neighbor once told me her brother was a pirate...when I sounded confused and repeated it back she smiled and said, slowly, "pi-lot", to make sure she said it correctly.

Oh for the love of all creatures great and small. LOL, once again we have people bending over backwards with anecdotes and actual research to try to make the latest buffoonery from this FO appear normal or "no big deal." Not one of your examples of dialectical nuance has anything whatsoever to do with Bruce Allen's inability to say the name "Kirk." In each of those examples, the pronunciation of a particular letter or sound applies across the whole language spectrum, not just one word. Is there a particular "southern accent" out there that simply can't pronounce the name "Kirk"? Let's get a linguistics professor on the case toot sweet. Maybe someone's written a thesis on this. Or, as I said in another post, ask Bruce to say "Pork" and see if he responds "Port." Or maybe a better choice might be "caulk" to see if he says "cault." If so, I might buy into this. 

It's so, so simple. The "K" sound isn't that hard to make. It really isn't. With a name like "Kirk," however, it requires a little more effort, and, as science has proven over and over again throughout the centuries, the mentally lazy and/or stupid will often just go right to the more familiar "T" sound, because it's easier and requires less effort. In fact, my grandfather used to have a saying he repeated almost on a daily basis: "You know, boy, you can tell a lot about a man's intellectual fortitude by how he pronounces the name 'Kirk.' " I believe he was right about that. 

In all seriousness, it's mind-boggling that someone doesn't at least give ONE **** about it. It's telling of the utter idiocy that drives this organization at the highest levels. 

What's ironic about all this is that Bruce Allen has a sign hanging in his office that's one of his father's favorite sayings. It basically says, "The difference between good and great is in the [tiny] details." I'm quite certain that sign is hung crookedly. 

13 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I must admit on the list of things to dislike about Bruce Allen, I thought this whole Kurt thing was a huge stretch.  But everyone is jumping in on this now, even Schefter this morning. 

While I still think perhaps this is just the way he pronounces the name Kirk, there is definitely a small part of me that thinks he's petty enough to pronounce it as Kurt just to be an asshole.

Was he wanting to be an asshole back in 2012 when Cousins was drafted?...I'm assuming it sounded like he was saying 'Kurt" back then as well.

12 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

If "supervisors and bosses" or anyone you have a longterm relationship with mispronounce your name "all the time," sorry, but that's most definitely laziness, stupidity or, worse, apathy. 

Good lord, you guys are so incredibly shortsighted you can't see what it is you're actually saying and are completely blanking out at least part of what I'm saying.

Here's a hint: you have ZERO idea why my name gets mispronounced and ZERO about the people who have mispronounced it, yet you feel only laziness, stupidity or apathy can be the culprit.

That's not good.

But I give the "benefit of the doubt" that anger at Allen is causing you to shelve some of the intelligence that would almost immediately make you see what I'm seeing in your statements.

Oh for the love of all creatures great and small. LOL, once again we have people bending over backwards with anecdotes and actual research to try to make the latest buffoonery from this FO appear normal or "no big deal." Not one of your examples of dialectical nuance has anything whatsoever to do with Bruce Allen's inability to say the name "Kirk." In each of those examples, the pronunciation of a particular letter or sound applies across the whole language spectrum, not just one word. Is there a particular "southern accent" out there that simply can't pronounce the name "Kirk"? Let's get a linguistics professor on the case toot sweet. Maybe someone's written a thesis on this. Or, as I said in another post, ask Bruce to say "Pork" and see if he responds "Port." Or maybe a better choice might be "caulk" to see if he says "cault." If so, I might buy into this.

You don't understand much of what you're ranting about. Then again, you said this earlier:

"An accent where you can't pronounce "K"s? Hmmm. Sounds questionable. "

I point out several accents/"accents" where pronouncing certain letters with a different sound is most definitely a real thing. So it shouldn't sound questionable. But again, your goal isn't to figure out why it sounds like "Kurt", your goal is to rant more about Allen's incompetence by using asinine, trivial things like whether or not there's a "T" sound at the end of his name when Allen says it. No level of intelligent analysis or reasoning will lead anyone to the conclusion that it's a sign of laziness or stupidity.

It's so, so simple. The "K" sound isn't that hard to make. It really isn't.

Wow. Ok. Again...proof that you really don't realize what you're saying here.

Archived