Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

His Name is KIRK!

Darrell Green Fan

27 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Thank you for answering for me. I have definitely heard an accent, thanks.

And yes you did claim it was on pupose, otherwise what was the point of this post?

Also you said this: Please show me another example of this "accent".  He sure didn't seem to have a problem pronouncing every other word in the English language to me.

Why phrase this post this way and put the quotation marks unless you think he is faking it?

So you are saying its not on purpose, but its also not an accent? Then what in the world is it because its gotta be one of those two.

I already explained what I believe it is. And I never said it was on purpose, that came from other posters.  And I sure have never heard an accent in any words he has said, which is why I quoted the word as I ain't buying it.  I'd like examples but I understand that's too much work for a topic that I agree is not all that important.

But it is important to the fans that they feel that their team is run competently.  Especially in a statement to tell us they failed to sign our starting QB.  If he continues to make the same mistake, and no I don't believe it's on purpose of the function of an accent I believe it is a constant mistake, that tells me that we are not run competently.   I highly doubt an organization like the Steelers have a GM who mispronounced the name Polamalu for 5 years as he tried to tell the world how much he values him. 

2 minutes ago, RedskinsInFebruary said:

"Kirk" and "Kurt" come out exactly the same if you get lazy and leave off the final plosive. 

Exactly. I am not a Bruce Allen fan in anyway and would like to see him gone. But this criticism of him is beyond ridiculous and especially from the media. I expect fans to talk about this silly stuff.

38 minutes ago, hailer21 said:

Bruce Allen has had zero issues correctly pronouncing just about every other word in his press conference vocabulary. So his particular accent only seems to affect that second "K" in Kirk....got it. 

tumblr_inline_oostc7ISdw1u3emny_500.gif

16 minutes ago, RedskinsInFebruary said:

"Kirk" and "Kurt" come out exactly the same if you get lazy and leave off the final plosive. It's normal within some accents or dialects.  (Haven't seen Allen's statement though, so just speculating as far as that goes.)

Thank you lol...there's more at play here than the surface-superficial discussion of laziness and stupidity.

10 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

That's a phonetics issue, not an accent...that's just not understanding how to pronounce a name that is not "American". Accents/"accents" deal more directly with how someone is capable of speaking...has zero do to with a lack of knowledge. It's physical.

Bruce is physically capable of saying Kirk just like your Asian neighbor could say "pirate". Accents and medically diagnosed speech impediments are not the same thing.

27 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

And you've yet to answer my question. I'm guessing because a part of you is starting to understand that you were indeed saying more than you realized earlier.

I have yet to answer your question because despite numerous requests you continue with vague references as to what you art trying to get at, with comments that that come off as incredibly condescending.   Stop being so insulting and just spit it out, what are you asking exactly?  If you think it is not unprofessional for a boss to continue to get the name wrong I disagree. And so do the guys on ESPN who commented on it earlier. Sure it's a little thing but in a league where coaches spend nights sweating the details little things matter. Maybe Kirk feels as you do, it's no big deal. But there is a chance he shares my opinion too you know.  Did you even bother to consider that part of it?

14 minutes ago, hailer21 said:

Bruce is physically capable of saying Kirk just like your Asian neighbor could say "pirate". Accents and medically diagnosed speech impediments are not the same thing.

Do you know how accents and dialects come into being?...The forming of words and letters, and the physical components required for each, is pretty complex. It's why mastering different accents and speech patterns is damn hard to do.

But pronouncing "Martinez" and "Martin-ez" is simply putting the emphasis on the wrong syllable, and more a result of a lack of knowledge than anything. Which was my point.

8 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I have yet to answer your question because despite numerous requests you continue with vague references as to what you art trying to get at...

I said I didn't want to derail the thread, and if I spelled it out directly I'm pretty sure a mod would start issuing warnings and possibly lock the thread to boot.

Which, if you think about it, might be a good thing lol...

7 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Again only some are assuming it's an accent. 

Two different topics, actually...

1) Does Bruce have an accent - may be better described as his way of speaking that might be echoed within the Allen family to a real extent.

2) Would having an accent be a valid explanation - damn skippy it would.

Of course an accent would be a valid explanation. But seeing as I have never heard an accent on any other word out of his mouth,  and nobody who claims it's an accent can provide any evidence of said accent, I'm eliminating that possibility. 

As for your other post if what you have to say will result in a warning and closure of the thread then obviously you shouldn't say it.  And since you can't say it please stop hinting at it and trying to get me to answer a question that you have failed to ask.  Your  condescending tone regarding this invisible question is not helping either.  Can't you see how that can be annoying?

Just now, Califan007 said:

Do you know how accents and dialects come into being?...The forming of words and letters, and the physical components required for each, is pretty complex. It's why mastering different accents and speech patterns is damn hard to do.

But pronouncing "Martinez" and "Martin-ez" is simply putting the emphasis on the wrong syllable, and more a result of not lack of knowledge than anything. Which was my point.

You know what, you're right - this is all over my head. I have no clue how the pronunciation of the name Kirk is completely beyond the physical capabilities of a native English speaker. Pretty complex stuff going on here.

2 minutes ago, hailer21 said:

You know what, you're right - this is all over my head. I have no clue how the pronunciation of the name Kirk is completely beyond the physical capabilities of a native English speaker. Pretty complex stuff going on here.

Well at least you admit it, thats the first step.

9 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Of course an accent would be a valid explanation. But seeing as I have never heard an accent on any other word out of his mouth,  and nobody who claims it's an accent can provide any evidence of said accent, I'm eliminating that possibility. 

His accent is in his press conferences, anytime you hear him talk. If you cant hear it no one else is going to be able to show you an example.

So if its not an accent, and hes not doing it on purpose, what is causing him to not say Kirk? I really cannot see what point you are trying to make if its not either of those two. Really just asking for clarification.

Try saying Kirk without the last plosive like the guy above posted and it sounds just like Kurt.

1 minute ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Well at least you admit it, thats the first step.

His accent is in his press conferences, anytime you hear him talk. If you cant hear it no one else is going to be able to show you an example.

So if its not an accent, and hes not doing it on purpose, what is causing him to not say Kirk? Try saying Kirk without the last plosive like the guy above posted and it sounds just like Kurt.

I have already answered this question. 

4 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

All you said was that it was a mental block, which doesnt make sense unless the mental block is due to his accent....?

No it's a mental block in my opinion.  I once had a mental block about a road in my neighborhood when I was young. It was Coventry Way and I kept calling it Co-vent-ree with the accents on the wrong syllable. I have no accent and I did it for years.  My theory is more likely than some invisible accent that I have never heard before and it makes no sense to do it on purpose, possibly pissing off your QB and as we are seeing being the topic of critical national news stories.  . 

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

Wow. Ok. Again...proof that you really don't realize what you're saying here.

This is your pattern when cornered, clearly: "You don't understand" or "You don't realize what your'e saying here." Not a shred of substance anywhere in your meandering retort. 

You have ZERO idea why my name gets mispronounced and ZERO about the people who have mispronounced it, yet you feel only laziness, stupidity or apathy can be the culprit.

Yeah, and I'd sort of like to keep it at zero, if you don't mind. Besides, unless it's a name like Superman's arch villain Mr. Mxyzptlk, I'm sticking to my original assertion, especially if your name has been pronounced clearly to these people and they refuse to react accordingly. But whatever. That's your business. Again, in the case of ALLEN, as with most things, simplicity is King. 

Kirk is a simple name. It's made up of three letters. It's not a name that flows off the tongue, but if you make even a half-hearted effort, it's quite possible that even people with incredibly rare (i.e., nonexistent) dialects and accents characterized by the inability to pronounce "K"s when they come at the end of names that also start with "K" can do it. 

For Bruce Allen to clearly make zero effort to pronounce that name correctly - over and over and over again - on a day as important as yesterday is, at best, a bad look and another small embarrassment to add to the giant dungheap of embarrassment upon which Bruce Allen's office was built. Just google "Bruce Allen Kurt Cousins" and you'll see this hasn't gone unnoticed. The suggestion that this is some sort of speech impediment or unavoidable accent pattern is utterly laughable. Robert DeNiro Cape Fear laughable. 

Larry Michael has called the man on this before. Larry Michael. I think that means something. 

3 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

No it's a mental block in my opinion.  I once had a mental block about a road in my neighborhood when I was young. It was Coventry Way and I kept calling it Co-vent-ree with the accents on the wrong syllable. I have no accent and I did it for years.  My theory is more likely than some invisible accent that I have never heard before and it makes no sense to do it on purpose, possibly pissing off your QB and as we are seeing being the topic of critical national news stories.  . 

So with this mental block you called it Co-vent-ree even after people told you it was wrong and you couldnt help it or you just didnt know how to pronounce it right and when someone explained it you changed your pronunciation? By mental block do you mean its not possible for him to change it or its just a misunderstanding of how to pronounce something? Saying Kurt isnt mispronouncing syllables, its changing letters, completely different syllables. 

4 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

For Bruce Allen to clearly make zero effort to pronounce that name correctly - over and over and over again - on a day as important as yesterday is, at best, a bad look and another small embarrassment to add to the giant dungheap of embarrassment upon which Bruce Allen's office was built. Just google "Bruce Allen Kurt Cousins" and you'll see this hasn't gone unnoticed. The suggestion that this is some sort of speech impediment or unavoidable accent pattern is utterly laughable. Robert DeNiro Cape Fear laughable. 

Larry Michael has called the man on this before. Larry Michael. I think that means something. 

So is it your opinion that he is doing it on purpose?

9 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

I'd say 99 percent NO, he is not doing it on purpose, because that would be insane. Wait ... did I say 99 percent? Maybe 90. 

I think he's being L-A-Z-Y. The idea that this is an "accent" is utterly absurd. 

It's very simple: It's much easier to say "Kurt" than "Kirk". Allen slips into that trap as many before him have, but the fact that someone in his position doesn't have the foresight and simple common sense to make the effort to correct that issue when making huge public statements like the one he made yesterday is unacceptable to me. And he didn't just do it once. He said "Kurt" at least six times. It's lazy and utterly disrespectful, plain and simple. 

There are many names of people I know or work with that are difficult to pronounce. Once I know the correct way to pronounce their name, I make the extra effort to do so. That to me shows respect and consideration. Plus, it's not that hard. 

12 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

So with this mental block you called it Co-vent-ree even after people told you it was wrong and you couldnt help it or you just didnt know how to pronounce it right and when someone explained it you changed your pronunciation? By mental block do you mean its not possible for him to change it or its just a misunderstanding of how to pronounce something? Saying Kurt isnt mispronouncing syllables, its changing letters, completely different syllables. 

It was a mental block with me.  Every time I did it I found it frustrating but also funny.  You know what I did?  I corrected the issue and that was that. And I was not the GM of a pro team standing up and trying to explain why he is the only GM in history to fail to sign a good starting QB to a  long term deal.  

Exactly how many more times do I need to say I do not believe he is not doing it on purpose?  Please try to keep up.  I have posted repeatedly that I don't believe it is on purpose and I have explained my reasons. 

10 hours ago, joeken24 said:

Whatever. Kirk....Kurt. I doesn't matter. The QB has not been signed. 

But I will ask this question......

What 28 year old player is willing to move on to another team that needs a QB? I don't know of a team that needs a QB and is just a QB away from being a contender. In other words, the only teams looking for a QB is a bad team.  So Kirk is willing to move on to one of those teams and go through more years of mediocrity? That my friend is what you call "all about the $$".

Please believe me when I say Kirk is delusional to think he has the ability to carry a team on his back. He has to know that he needs weapons and a line to prosper. He hasn't shown the ability to improvise if the line breaks down. I'm interested to know if there is a QB needy team that has a good offensive line.  If not, 28 years old is going to turn into 38 real fast. 

But

It's all good if Kirk is all about that dollar bill. But don't ask me to support that mindset. We've had those kind of players in the past. Namely this fat ass nose guard that will remain nameless and just about the entire 2000 Redskins team. Just sayin'....

We'll see.... 

Seriously?  This is a business.  The Redskins wouldn't hesitate to cut Kirk if he signed the deal they offered and subsequently got injured or his play dropped off.  The deal the Skins supposedly offered is only worth $323K more in guaranteed money OVER THE LIFE OF THE CONTRACT than if Kirk plays on the Franchise Tag for the next two seasons alone, only a fool would have signed that deal.  The Skins bungled this thing up last season by not showing confidence in Kirk and forcing him to prove it for another season on the Tag.  He did that...At a minimum, Kirk proved he is a good (not great) NFL QB and now he has all of the leverage.  The Redskins made their bed and now they have to lie in it.  NFL careers are fleeting so I don't blame Kirk one bit for trying to take care of himself and his family for the rest of their lives..

Archived