Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

His Name is KIRK!

Darrell Green Fan

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Was he wanting to be an asshole back in 2012 when Cousins was drafted?...I'm assuming it sounded like he was saying 'Kurt" back then as well.

I don't know.  He's set to join Cooley this morning but I'm sure he doesn't have the gonads to ask his quasi-boss a question like that.

At bare minimum he has to at least be cognizant of the fact that it sounds like he says Kurt and try harder to pronounce the K.  But again, that's long down the list of things to dislike about Bruce.

13 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don't know.  He's set to join Cooley this morning but I'm sure he doesn't have the gonads to ask his quasi-boss a question like that.

At bare minimum he has to at least be cognizant of the fact that it sounds like he says Kurt and try harder to pronounce the K.  But again, that's long down the list of things to dislike about Bruce.

Wouldn't it be easier to just go back and watch/listen to Allen talk about Cousins back then? lol...

14 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Was he wanting to be an asshole back in 2012 when Cousins was drafted?...I'm assuming it sounded like he was saying 'Kurt" back then as well.

Good lord, you guys are so incredibly shortsighted you can't see what it is you're actually saying and are completely blanking out at least part of what I'm saying.

Here's a hint: you have ZERO idea why my name gets mispronounced and ZERO about the people who have mispronounced it, yet you feel only laziness, stupidity or apathy can be the culprit.

That's not good.

But I give the "benefit of the doubt" that anger at Allen is causing you to shelve some of the intelligence that would almost immediately make you see what I'm seeing in your statements.

Instead of lectures and hints why don't you just spit it out?  What do you think I am missing?  And it has nothing to do with your situation.   Perhaps you have a very unusual name that is difficult to pronounce, like my neighbor who I simply call "P".  That isn't the case here.  The name is K-I-R-K.   It's not that damn hard.  When you are making an official statement to an angry fan base he needed to get at last that part right.

9 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Instead of lectures and hints why don't you just spit it out?  What do you think I am missing?  And it has nothing to do with your situation.   Perhaps you have a very unusual name that is difficult to pronounce, like my neighbor who I simply call "P".  That isn't the case here.  The name is K-I-R-K.   It's not that damn hard.  When you are making an official statement to tan angry fan base he needed to get at last that part right.

Imagine:

My father runs a big company. One of his most valued employees over the last 5+ years is Seth.

My father's accent causes him to pronounce the "th" at the end of words as "f"...so he calls Seth "Sef". Has from the beginning.

Tell me: is my father lazy, stupid or purposefully calling one of the most important employees in his company by the wrong name?

21 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I don't know if you're joking or not lol...but yeah, I'm black. *thumbsup*

I was kinda joking. I don't know if I knew that or not. I don't really care though and will probably forget again by my second breakfast. 

It did read kinda funny though, the way you put it.

Imagine:

My father runs a big company. One of his most valued employees over the last 5+ years is Seth.

My father's accent causes him to pronounce the "th" at the end of words as "f"...so he calls Seth "Sef". Has from the beginning.

Tell me: is my father lazy, stupid or purposefully calling one of the most important employees in his company by the wrong name?

So you are buying the accent excuse?  A lot of us don't buy that seeing as, you know, he has never displayed any form of accent on any other word that has ever come out of his mouth.

It is absolutely idiotic to care about this so much, I agree lol...

I agree in the grand scheme of things this is minor, I never claimed otherwise.  But it is frustrating to hear it at the worst possible time and more importantly it is  indicative of just how unprofessional our organization is.  Just call this Example #79.

8 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

So you are buying the accent excuse?  A lot of us don't buy that seeing as, you know, he has never displayed any form of accent on any other word that has ever come out of his mouth.

Is that your answer?...Because my earlier comments to do--and the question I asked...and the comment you said to me--has abso-stinkin-lutely nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not I "buy the accent excuse".

Again: is my father stupid, lazy or just purposefully calling an important employee by the wrong name out of arrogance/classlessness/whatever?

I have listened to a number of times that Bruce Allen has talked when things were going well, before any contract disputes and Allen still sounds like he is saying Kurt. Its an accent people, hes not a child trying to say someones name wrong to spite them. He may be a moron, but its beyond stupid to say hes saying Kurt because hes upset as opposed to an ACCENT.

Its lazy especially from people in the media, all they have to do is look at what he said a few years ago to see how he pronounced Kirks name.

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

Is that your answer?...Because my earlier comments to do--and the question I asked...and the comment you said to me--has abso-stinkin-lutely nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not I "buy the accent excuse".

Again: is my father stupid, lazy or just purposefully calling an important employee by the wrong name out of arrogance/classlessness/whatever?

You sure like to deliver a lot of shots considering you consider the topic stupid. You also apparently like to beat around the bush instead of simply making you accusation, in the most critical tone possible I might add.  Spit it out or turn the page.  Please.  

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

A lot of older blacks from the Midwest and south pronounce "G" as "S"--for example, "sausage" ends up sounding like "sauces". Same with "TH" and "F"..."South" sounds like "Souf". That was my dad and many of his relatives and people he grew up with. I didn't pronounce those sounds the way he did. And Asian accents often pronounce "L" as "R"...my Asian neighbor once told me her brother was a pirate...when I sounded confused and repeated it back she smiled and said, slowly, "pi-lot", to make sure she said it correctly.

So, yes, accents can and do involve pronouncing one letter as another.

But I can't believe anyone actually gives two ****s about this.

Allen isn't purposefully mispronouncing Kirk's name, nor is he being lazy or stupid. Good lord. Not to mention Kirk has undoubtedly heard Allen pronounce his name numerous times to him IN PERSON...he's fully aware of how Allen says his name. My guess is that he has zero problem with it. But if you want to be outraged on his behalf anyway have at it.

I understand being pissed off at Allen, but your emotional state doesn't suddenly mean your every negative conclusion about the man has now been given validation.

Bruce Allen has had zero issues correctly pronouncing just about every other word in his press conference vocabulary. So his particular accent only seems to affect that second "K" in Kirk....got it. 

I would expect that the President of a football organization would have a modicum of self-awareness to understand that repeatedly mispronouncing the QB's name makes him look stupid, lazy and/or facetious. Try spending some time to work on saying one of your most important employee's name correctly before using it multiple times in a highly scrutinized press conference. 

But how would anyone expect Bruce to realize any of this? The guy held a press conference to announce to the world that some guy named Kurt is a $$$ chaser who wouldn't accept a contract that was below fair market value. 

Zero self-awareness. His name is Kirk. 

7 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

So why did it still sound like he was saying Kurt 3 or 4 years ago when talking about Kirk? Did he know this was all going to happen and so was setting up his accent excuse for the past 4 years?

Just now, MisterPinstripe said:

I have listened to a number of times that Bruce Allen has talked when things were going well, before any contract disputes and Allen still sounds like he is saying Kurt. Its an accent people, hes not a child trying to say someones name wrong to spite them. He may be a moron, but its beyond stupid to say hes saying Kurt because hes upset as opposed to an ACCENT.

Its lazy especially from people in the media, all they have to do is look at what he said a few years ago to see how he pronounced Kirks name.

Please show me another example of this "accent".  He sure didn't seem to have a problem pronouncing every other word in the English language to me.

1 minute ago, hailer21 said:

Bruce Allen has had zero issues correctly pronouncing just about every other word in his press conference vocabulary. So his particular accent only seems to affect that second "K" in Kirk....got it. 

I would expect that the President of a football organization would have a modicum of self-awareness to understand that repeatedly mispronouncing the QB's name makes him look stupid, lazy and/or facetious. Try spending some time to work on saying one of your most important employee's name correctly before using it multiple times in a highly scrutinized press conference. 

But how would anyone expect Bruce to realize any of this? The guy held a press conference to announce to the world that some guy named Kurt is a $$$ chaser who wouldn't accept a contract that was below fair market value. 

Zero self-awareness. His name is Kirk. 

Bingo.  I can't believe the excuses being thrown out there for this issue.   Just too weird.

13 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Imagine:

LOL - I had a boss once who pronounced my co-worker Seth's name as "Zeff." This made me laugh. It was a dem-deez-dose accent if you know what I mean.

A: Your father is none of those things - he has an accent. We need to get over it.

Just now, Darrell Green Fan said:

Please show me another example of this "accent".  He sure didn't seem to have a problem pronouncing every other word in the English language to me.

Im not looking through all of his press conferences. If he is doing this on purpose Im sure you can show me an example sometime over the last 5 years when Kirk was drafted that he referred to him as Kirk? I mean if this is just him doing it on purpose as opposed to an accent then he must have used his name correctly back before he had a reason to be upset at Kirk right? But no, you wont be able to. Because he has always pronounced his name like that.

2 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

So why did it still sound like he was saying Kurt 3 or 4 years ago when talking about Kirk? Did he know this was all going to happen and so was setting up his accent excuse for the past 4 years?

As I said it's been a problem, and more importantly he has heard criticism about it, for years.  His failure to correct the problem is a isue IMO.

7 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Im not looking through all of his press conferences. If he is doing this on purpose Im sure you can show me an example sometime over the last 5 years when Kirk was drafted that he referred to him as Kirk? I mean if this is just him doing it on purpose as opposed to an accent then he must have used his name correctly back before he had a reason to be upset at Kirk right? But no, you wont be able to. Because he has always pronounced his name like that.

I don't expect you to go through all his pressers.  Just asking if you can honestly say you have heard any form of accent out of Bruce Allen on any other word in the past?

Didn't think so.  And I never claimed it was on purpose and I clearly said I don't buy the accent excuse.  IMO It's a mental block, like the hitch in Charles Barkley's golf swing.  But unlike a golf swing this is so easy to fix, the fact that he hasn't bothered is annoying.

1 minute ago, MisterPinstripe said:

So is it an accent that he isnt trying to correct or is he doing it on purpose?

It's one of the two.

If Kirk's last name was Martinez and Bruce repeatedly called him "Martin-ez" over the past 3 years, it would be no less of a bad look for himself and the organization.

22 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I agree in the grand scheme of things this is minor, I never claimed otherwise.  But it is frustrating to hear it at the worst possible time and more importantly it is  indicative of just how unprofessional our organization is.  Just call this Example #79.

While I don't agree that it's a sign of unprofessionalism--again, that's saying more than you realize--I do agree that it's something that could rub fans raw. It doesn't do a thing to me, but I also know that it could/would other fans. I just think it's a mistake to reach conclusions about what it means outside of that's how he pronounces it for whatever reason.

4 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I don't expect you to go through all his pressers.  Just asking if you can honestly say you have heard any form of accent out of Bruce Allen on any other word in the past?

Didn't think so.  And I never claimed it was on purpose.  IMO It's a mental block, like the hitch in Charles Barkley's golf swing.  But unlike a golf swing this is so easy to fix, the fact that he hasn't bothered is annoying.

Thank you for answering for me. I have definitely heard an accent, thanks.

And yes you did claim it was on pupose, otherwise what was the point of this post?

Also you said this: Please show me another example of this "accent".  He sure didn't seem to have a problem pronouncing every other word in the English language to me.

Why phrase this post this way and put the quotation marks unless you think he is faking it?

So you are saying its not on purpose, but its also not an accent? Then what in the world is it because its gotta be one of those two.

21 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Pretty sure it wouldn't take media members more than 15 minutes to go back and listen to Allen talk about Cousins in 2014 or earlier and see if this should be a thing to be upset by.

21 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

You sure like to deliver a lot of shots considering you consider the topic stupid. You also apparently like to beat around the bush instead of simply making you accusation, in the most critical tone possible I might add.  Spit it out or turn the page.  Please.  

THIS topic, that you and I are discussing now in these last few posts, have nothing at all to do with Allen. This one is a bit more important.

And I'm trying my best not to derail the thread, so I gave a scenario that I felt would get the point across better for you.

And you've yet to answer my question. I'm guessing because a part of you is starting to understand that you were indeed saying more than you realized earlier.

12 minutes ago, hailer21 said:

It's one of the two.

If Kirk's last name was Martinez and Bruce repeatedly called him "Martin-ez" over the past 3 years, it would be no less of a bad look for himself and the organization.

That's a phonetics issue, not an accent...that's just not understanding how to pronounce a name that is not "American". Accents/"accents" deal more directly with how someone is capable of speaking...has zero do to with a lack of knowledge. It's physical.

Archived