Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

58% of Republicans in the USA think colleges and universities are bad for the country

mcsluggo

I read the polling report this morning. The basic highlight was:

Around 90% of Republican voters have a negative view of colleges/universities. To me this was probably the most eye opening thing, as I didn't suspect this percentage was going to be this large.

To summarize this is how voters of both parties view the three institutions they were asked about (church, colleges and media):

Republican voters:

(a) colleges: overwhelmingly negative

(b) news media: overwhelmingly negative

(c) church: overwhelmingly positive

Democrat voters:

(a) colleges: mostly positive

(b) news media: mostly positive

(c) church: moderately positive

The only saving grace was that younger Republican voters in the 18-29 range had a more positive view of college than negative (the only age group). It was mostly the old farts in the voter group that had a negative view. However, this raises a lot of questions on the educational choices they will be making for their kids. 

We already have a large chunk of the population that didn't attend college, and is now struggling to find stable work due to a lack of advanced skills. It will be a major labor shortage issue if a large chunk of the population is disregarding the primary avenue for acquiring work in the modern economy.

I really hope there was a significant error in those polling numbers. If not, I think it's frightening and pathetic. Though I suppose if more Republicans were college educated, the Tea Party and the like might die off. One can hope for a better future.

Emblematic of the demographic shift that happened in the last election.  College educated voters are abandoning the GoP.

If the trend continues, Republicans are going to be an underclass in a generation.  They'll be the party of the white poor everywhere outside of the South and Appalachia.

I knew a lot of Republicans had a negative view of colleges/universities, but I didn't expect that high of a percentage. I'm truly shocked. 

I've always been a firm believer that college isn't for everyone, but you at least need to be pursuing career advancement/education in some manner. That may mean trade schools, or apprenticeships. But college should be seen as option #1 if it's available to you and you're eligible. At least the younger generation seems to disagree. 

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its no surprise really. The Republican party is now the party that caters to the willfully ignorant and downright stupid.

They are taking advantage of the idiots in the country. It's a good strategy. Immoral as hell. But it works. 

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

They are taking advantage of the idiots in the country. It's a good strategy. Immoral as hell. But it works. 

Probably have student loans and working at Walmart.

Bitterly clinging to their guns and bibles

6 minutes ago, twa said:

You be knowin Lol. I hate to be that cynical but you and I both know there is too much truth there. 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

You be knowin Lol. I hate to be that cynical but you and I both know there is too much truth there. 

I figure those were the ones wanting loan forgiveness....or was that the other team?

:)

1 minute ago, twa said:

I figure those were the ones wanting loan forgiveness....or was that the other team?

:)

I guess you think you got me huh? But I specifically said stupid people don't like school so obviously I can't be talking about the other team. :P

40 minutes ago, twa said:

Yeah I could see that. For profit schools got more people indebted than normal. People who thought they getting a degree in their pajamas was a good idea.

I'm surprised it's that high but I think colleges are a major issue. People go into gobs of debt and then can't find a job or are in debt for a long time trying to pay it off. There are plenty of better directions for people to go such as trade schools. You don't end up with a lot of debt, there are lots of jobs that pay super well, and it works better for a lot of people.

There are a good bit of people that go to college that I think would be better served going to a trade school, or getting an apprenticeship as a mason or something. But it's hammered into everyone that you have to go to college, you are ruining your life if you don't go to college. 

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

They probably view science as being in conflict with Church. Can't make America great again unless we regress to the 17th Century.

I assumed it had more to do with campus politics.  There is a perception that conservatives views are entirely unwelcome on most American campuses, and if that's true it's not terribly surprising that so many republicans would frown at colleges.  I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Just ask Putin.

6 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

How much of it is likely related to seeing news coverage of militant liberals taking over college campuses?  I imagine seeing the stuff going on at Evergreen probably swayed a few minds.

Probably a good bit. My first question would then be, what "News" stations are they watching?

9 minutes ago, Destino said:

I assumed it had more to do with campus politics.  There is a perception that conservatives views are entirely unwelcome on most American campuses, and if that's true it's not terribly surprising that so many republicans would frown at colleges.  I could be wrong.

I suspect your take is a big part of it. 

As to that issue, I've found that it's kind of major dependent. Most economic and engineer profs seem to be conservative.  

Overall, I suspect colleges are more liberal, but that's simply because there's something about the liberal mindset that lends itself more to the teaching professions. 

The demographics pretty much explain this, do they not?

Republicans skew old and white, as well as middle class.

Colleges and universities skew young, diverse, and liberal. They're seen as a breeding ground for liberalism, so much the university staff is accused of contributing to it all. They're also seen as elitists, not exactly who the middle class like.

I guess I don't find it disturbing because it's in-line with what I've figured for a while now.

I hear a lot of hard core republicans make comments about how they're going to encourage their kids to do something other than college.

College isn't the only way to go but the statistics show a significant difference in the type of life you live. Employment in general, employment during a crisis, health, happiness, financial stability, etc show the same general pattern. Crime rates, drugs/substance abuse.

Hell even divorce statistics reflect this, if I'm remembering the study I read correctly.

Archived