Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

I'm not sure what to expect next year.  Still sore from the last 2 years.  Yes, the regular seasons are fun, but you play to win championships.  I realize my teams can't win it every year.  But I don't want to be the Donovan McNabb led Eagles and have nothing to show for it.  Hell, I'm not greedy at this point, just throw me one bone for goodness sakes.  Just one Cup and I'll shut my yap. Even the Atlanta Braves won one. I'd take suckage, then 3 years of titles, then suckage again over 10 years of great play and no titles.

Give up the Capitals and follow another team? 

When the Capitals are included in your basic cable package on CSN unless you want to shell out extra $ for NHL Center Ice they are the team you have to follow if you enjoy watching hockey 

• 2 weeks later...

Remember very little of Ron Weber or AM 570 or the late nights, he was before my time. Guy was basically the original Capitals voice until 1998. Great man. I always found it nice how he still goes to the games, rides the Metro just like you and me down to Verizon Center, and watches from the 400 levels. 

• 1 month later...
On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 9:44 AM, ixcuincle said:

Remember very little of Ron Weber or AM 570 or the late nights, he was before my time. Guy was basically the original Capitals voice until 1998. Great man. I always found it nice how he still goes to the games, rides the Metro just like you and me down to Verizon Center, and watches from the 400 levels. 

I would like to see the Capitals hang a banner with his name on it from the rafters someday he is in the NHL hall of fame

Great guy for sure 

• 2 weeks later...

I predicting a wildcard spot, if any, for this years team.. Im expecting lots of defensive mistakes and a struggling offense with most vets probably burned out on the last 2 years of playoff hope/disappointment.. Then there's Trotz with a bunch of young/inexperienced players? Oof... Could actually be interesting to watch! :P

21 hours ago, Springfield said:

I don’t really see us winning the president’s trophy but missing the playoffs would be a disappointment.  Hoping to see Ovechkin bounce back.

I think if teams play disciplined against us and keep our PP off the ice, the playoff race will get interesting. These new faceoff and slashing rules may play to our favor, at least for a while, until teams adjust?

12 hours ago, GoDeep81 said:

I think if teams play disciplined against us and keep our PP off the ice, the playoff race will get interesting. These new faceoff and slashing rules may play to our favor, at least for a while, until teams adjust?

whatever happens, come playoff time the refs will swallow their whistles and our opponent will be the cleanest hockey team of all time.

On 9/27/2017 at 9:20 AM, GoDeep81 said:

Agree.  The teams with the best special teams have an advantage, and the Caps will still have a good-to-great PP with Ovi, Backy and Kuzy.  

I  personally don't see another Presidents trophy this season nor a Metropolitan division title for that matter

But I do believe there is still enough talent on the roster to finish 8th or better and qualify for the playoffs 

From there it's just fingers crossed 

Watching the preseason games (yeah, I know, only preseason, but we had an almost full squad against NJ) I noticed some things that will give us problems:

1.  We're old and slow.  We don't have a lot of "fast" skaters.  That's why I was SO upset at losing Schmidt.  He was our speed guy on the blue line.  We try to hit too much, when the game has turned into a skating game.

2.  We rely too much on making the "perfect" pass instead of making the "correct" pass.  Our passing is all over the place, while other teams seem to always find the open man.

3.  Teams do not fear us or Ovechkin anymore.  You can see it in the way they attack us.  They stay out of the penalty box and beat us 5 on 5.

I know a President's trophy won't happen.  We still have enough talent to make the playoffs.  Still never going to win a cup until they bring in more skaters.

I'll enjoy the regular season, but will no be confident when the playoffs roll around.

Archived