Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

@BleedBNG - love that video, especially because it came from a Penguins fan who was absolutely livid over the Capitals winning the Stanley Cup.

He did a "Legacy of Failure" video for the Capitals awhile back, too. His stuff is funny and it has a lot of repeat viewing value but he did not want the Capitals to win this Stanley Cup and his saltiness over it makes this all the sweeter. 

this video has audio of what 8 and 19 were saying to each other when they were hugging behind the net. Ovie told him he would pass him the cup first. 2:50 mark. It's the players micced up for game 5. Some other really cool stuff. Trotz to Backstrom "thank you so much I needed this".

UrinatingTree is pretty funny, you can get lost for an hour or two watching him crush franchises across all sports. 

I plan on going tomorrow but damn now I am not sure how early I should head down there.  I was planning on 8am but may be even earlier after reading this.  I live by Glenmont and plan on parking and leaving from there, or possibly Rockville station since I'm like right in between both.  I will probably go fill my smart card tonight though.

Since I have never been to a parade, how exactly does it work?  Like do you just line up along the streets and they walk past?  And then at the end when it ends at the Mall, will everyone head over to the mall for the rally?  Just a bit confused as the whole process.

Also, is this another drunk fest like the viewing party was?  Are people planning on bringing booze down there and just day drink?

8 hours ago, Zazzaro703 said:

UrinatingTree is pretty funny, you can get lost for an hour or two watching him crush franchises across all sports. 

He needs to cash in on his popularity and make some "**** you, Spanos" shirts. 

But yeah, I like his videos. Don't always agree with his takes (and his predictions are notoriously off the mark more times than not) but when it comes to his sports analysis, he's fair and often saves the most potent critiques for his hometown Pittsburgh teams. He puts a lot of effort into his videos, too - does a lot of homework and clever editing. 

But back to the topic at hand: think I'm gonna skip the parade. Already planning to use some PTO for the All-Star Game at Nationals Park and my feet still hurt from Thursday. Will be following online, though!

59 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I plan on going tomorrow but damn now I am not sure how early I should head down there.  I was planning on 8am but may be even earlier after reading this.  I live by Glenmont and plan on parking and leaving from there, or possibly Rockville station since I'm like right in between both.  I will probably go fill my smart card tonight though.

Since I have never been to a parade, how exactly does it work?  Like do you just line up along the streets and they walk past?  And then at the end when it ends at the Mall, will everyone head over to the mall for the rally?  Just a bit confused as the whole process.

Also, is this another drunk fest like the viewing party was?  Are people planning on bringing booze down there and just day drink?

Yeah I'm picking up my buddy from Arlington around 8:30-9 and taking metro there. I would NOT recommend driving, they're restricting parking big time and its gonna be impossible to park.

I think you can line up along the streets or you can try walking along with them, although not sure how that'll go with the massive crowd expected. I think once they reach their final destination which I believe is the Mall, everyone can kinda congregate there.

I wonder how long the whole thing will last. It starts at 11. I'm guessing ~2-3 hours?

52 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I wonder if they are actually going to provide outhouses for the parade because going to the bathroom was definitely an issue for outside viewing party down at Capital One Arena.

Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 11.01.23 AM.png

11 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

From the agony of defeat, to the thrill of victory

Pay attention, young 'uns. The suffering began long, LONG before Halak and the Canadiens in 2010. 

Highlight that gets to me most is the Peter Nedved shot  (1:12) to win it for the Pens in the '96 4OT classic. Still remember that one like it was yesterday (unfortunately). 

That is pretty damn sweet for the players that they are the first professional team to win a championship in Las Vegas. If you aren't going to win it in your hometown I can't imagine a better place to win a championship in terms of being able to celebrate.

We need the ****ing ES TAILGATE out on the national Mall. I know I'll be bringing a ****load of edibles in my backpack. Chips, drinks, sandwiches, you name it. just gonna get there around six and start eating lol

We need to coordinate this. massive tailgate party.

I was assuming that opm would give employees in the DC area the day off, but no luck. I wanted to go to the parade but there is no chance I'll be able to make it tomorrow because we need to have office coverage and both of my co-workers work from home on Tuesday :(

You guys have a great time!

12 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I was assuming that opm would give employees in the DC area the day off, but no luck. I wanted to go to the parade but there is no chance I'll be able to make it tomorrow because we need to have office coverage and both of my co-workers work from home on Tuesday :(

You guys have a great time!

Hopefully, workers along the parade route can rip up some paper and make some confetti. Sorry they're not letting y'all go out and enjoy the parade. :( 

Hey guys. One of my father's clients told him that he had heard if you went to Game 5 and had a ticket stub, the Caps were going to let you walk in the parade. It sounded plausible, but unlikely and I haven't been able to find anything about it online. Anyone? Bueller? 

Edit

Never mind. Finally heard back from my rep and it was all a pipe dream. Parade is going to be awesome.

I know this is dealing with a heavy topic but I found this article and it really hit me at my core and echoed some of the feelings I had about the Capitals, especially DSP's presence on the team and his performance in the playoffs. 

https://theundefeated.com/features/the-significance-of-a-stanley-cup-champion-named-devante-smith-pelly/

This part definitely stood out:

For every black kid in this area who plays the game or is even thinking about playing it, there’s no doubt that seeing a man who looks like that with a name like that – and his middle name is Malik – is an inspiration to them at home. Will all sorts of rinks and sport courts start popping up around the city and metropolitan area, motivating black kids to take to the ice? Who knows? The barriers to entry are still high. But maybe winning a title will motivate Leonsis to go all-in on the effort, a la Tampa Bay.

At the watch party Thursday, there were more black folks “at” a hockey game than I’d ever seen in my life. By the time the final horn sounded, the sea of faces inside and outside the arena included more people of color than I can ever recall surrounding hockey in this area. It was overwhelming in the best way possible.

I know, I know - "why do you have to make it about race" - but please trust me here: as a black person from the D.C. Area: this matters and it matters a great deal. DSP did a marvelous job in the playoffs and that meant a great deal to me. That makes this championship all the sweeter. 

Archived