Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Seattle Times: In Seattle, is it now taboo to be friends with a Republican?

nonniey

This is by no means limited to Seattle.  Heck even here in the tailgate you see it (I'd say wishing death to the supporters of the political opposition imo qualifies).  

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/in-seattle-is-it-now-taboo-to-be-friends-with-a-republican/

"Can we just get along?

This question is being asked more and more, what with the bitter polarization of the nation. The answer, right now, would appear to be a resounding no.......

This week a poll by Politico and Morning Consult showed that the American divide is, if anything, widening. Or rather hardening. The poll found that 45 percent of Americans think President Trump is doing a good or great job, while another 43 percent say he’s such a disaster he already should be impeached. That leaves an astonishingly small sliver — 12 percent — in the middle.

“America Is Racing Toward Peak Polarization,” went one headline, noting that the people are more split and seemingly charged up to fight than the politicians, who are the ones usually blamed for not getting along.

Scientific American recently compiled the psychological research into this “hyperpolarization” phenomenon, and found what’s on the rise is “a visceral, even subconscious” attachment to, or rejection of, party groups or “teams.” The result has been a profound, collective loss of empathy: “Those on the other side no longer just disagree about the issues, they are bad people with dangerous ideas,” the authors conclude.........

It’s not because we can’t. We don’t want to.

Every country/society in human history is, at any given time, about 25-30% raving lunatic.  Typically that's fine because they argue amongst themselves but, occasionally they can unite behind a cult of personality.  Then they have to be beaten down and re-splintered or the country will fall.  You can call it "polarization" if you like but it's really just The South Is Gonna Rise Again Pt. 4 or 5 or whatever.

It's the exact opposite where I grew up.  People look down their nose at me because I'm a liberal all the time.  Some people do it just because they know I went to a liberal school university and an arts college.   This includes members of my own family, despite the fact that I don't talk politics.  

My brother is a big Trumper.  We get along fine, because we are grown ups about it.  I wish more people could do the same.  

It's the same type of person that deletes someone from their facebook because they can't take the fact that someone has a different world view than them.  People are just big babies these days, it's ridiculous.  They can't imagine someone would have a different opinion than them and can't stand it when someone does.

1 minute ago, dfitzo53 said:

I do actually believe that if you are truly a Trump supporter there is something deeply wrong with you. 

Doesn't mean we can't have a couple beers and play cards though. 

I think anyone that has a deep invested interest in a political candidate has something wrong with them.  The more I see it, the more I think it's ****ing weird.  There's this guy on my FB feed that was so into Hillary Clinton, out on her campaign trail, heading up meetings, etc...I just think it's strange.

I agree with your second point though.

I don't talk politics on Facebook or really much with friends who I'm not certain about their political leanings.  I have several people that I work with who are opposite my viewpoint but I try and keep that minimal.

ES is my one true political outlet.

To me there seems to be a correlation between someone getting angry at another person for their politics and intellect

Also between how quickly they raise their voice when arguing politics and intellect

Some of the best, longest, most thought provoking conversations I have had have been with people who have political opinions that differ widely from mine. I've learned a lot from those conversations, and have changed my stances plenty from them.

If you can't stand people of other political leanings maybe you need to find smarter people to socialize with. Or maybe you're the problem.

There used to be this 'you wouldn't say that to someone's face' reaction to some behavior on the Internet. For the most part it was true. Hours and hours, and years and years now, people are willing to talk to each other face to face the same way they do on the Internet. People have become nasty about the fact that someone doesn't agree with them.

Everything is an assault on someone's race/religion/gender/money/education/life style/whatever, and so being nasty becomes justified.

I reject the article entirely.  Ask yourself how aligned you are with your grandparents political views on, well, anything.  Then ask yourself if you had the chance to hug them and spend time with them, what your answer would be.

Dumb topic.  Next

7 minutes ago, zoony said:

I reject the article entirely.  Ask yourself how aligned you are with your grandparents political views on, well, anything.  Then ask yourself if you had the chance to hug them and spend time with them, what your answer would be.

Dumb topic.  Next

Maybe if your grandparents were from some rural ****hole. I spent a lot of time with my grandparents as a kid and adult. Loved it. Willing to bet their liberal California outlook helped shape both my parents and my own political philosophy. :blink:

4 minutes ago, clietas said:

Maybe if your grandparents were from some rural ****hole. I spent a lot of time with my grandparents as a kid and adult. Loved it. Willing to bet their liberal California outlook helped shape both my parents and my own political philosophy. :blink:

Did they pass their work ethic along too?  I remember the other thread where you said you made less than ten grand last year.  Maybe we have identified the problem lol:blink:

Just jokes!

1 hour ago, zoony said:

Dumb topic.  Next

Hmmm. My grandfather passed away back in the nineties, but he was a Republican Senator for 24 years, so politics came up, and as with all things, he was fascinating to listen to.

On the other hand, he was an Eisenhower Republican and I was a young Reagan guy, and he loved the Bush family (He and Prescott Bush were very close) whose policies I blame for ruining the GOP....so I suppose were he alive today we might disagree on several things...but I know he would be appalled by Trump.

24 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Hmmm. My grandfather passed away back in the nineties, but he was a Republican Senator for 24 years, so politics came up, and as with all things, he was fascinating to listen to.

On the other hand, he was an Eisenhower Republican and I was a young Reagan guy, and he loved the Bush family (He and Prescott Bush were very close) whose policies I blame for ruining the GOP....so I suppose were he alive today we might disagree on several things...but I know he would be appalled by Trump.

How did he feel about blacks and jews?  I can tell you how my moms parents felt.  They were both Democrats btw.  

And so help me if a bunch of people start quoting this claiming their white grandparents born in the teens and twenties were all tolerant hippies Im gonna spam your Trump threads/jerk sessions with Breitbart articles

Archived