Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

7 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Y’all should’ve cancelled Rolling Stone after they gave a one-star review to Black Sabbath-Sabotage back in 1976.  But, if you didn’t...you really should now.

I love that album, probably my favorite sabbath album. It introduced me to Cutouts.. i found it in a bin for a 1.50 at my local record store when i was about 12, I asked why it wasn't 5.99 like the rest and the guy told me it was because of this little notch cut out of the cover.
I never found too much in cutout bins that was very good, but i always checked after that.
When i was 16, i asked my mom to get m a pair of boots like Ozzy wears on the cover for christmas.
She did, although not quite so high a heel. I loved them!

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

^^ I swear, it’s like a disease. You work for the gop the last 5-10 years, this thinking metastasizes in your mind, and takes you to places all kinds of crazy, disgusting, disreputable. 

Thank goodness there are plenty of decent thinking members, Nicole Wallace comes to mind, that knew when to jump ship. 

The course THAT party is on, seems destined for either implosion, or national disaster. I pray the former.

Lol, Boehner goes to town in his new book apparently.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/04/02/john-boehner-book-memoir-excerpt-478506

Some of them, well, you could tell they weren’t paying attention because they were just thinking of how to fundraise off of outrage or how they could get on Hannity that night. Ronald Reagan used to say something to the effect that if I get 80 or 90 percent of what I want, that’s a win. These guys wanted 100 percent every time. In fact, I don’t think that would satisfy them, because they didn’t really want legislative victories. They wanted wedge issues and conspiracies and crusades.

All of this crap swirling around was going to make it tough for me to cut any deals with Obama as the new House Speaker. Of course, it has to be said that Obama didn’t help himself much either. He could come off as lecturing and haughty. He still wasn’t making Republican outreach a priority. But on the other hand—how do you find common cause with people who think you are a secret Kenyan Muslim traitor to America?

And now they had a new head lunatic leading the way, who wasn’t even a House member. There is nothing more dangerous than a reckless asshole who thinks he is smarter than everyone else. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Senator Ted Cruz. He enlisted the crazy caucus of the GOP in what was a truly dumbass idea. Not that anybody asked me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yeah, admiring the notion of John Boehner complaining about how extreme the GOP is.  

Although I do remember a series of events, between the GOP and Obama.  

It was a budget or a debt ceiling or something similar.  

And Boehner made a public announcement of the GOP's demands, to avoid the crisis.  Something something reduce the deficit by $XB, and 90% of it must be spending cuts.  

And Obama, less than a day later, announced "Agreed".  And sent his plan to Congress. 

And (Boehner?) made a glowing announcement, about what skilled negotiators the GOP was, and how glad he was that Obama had agreed to his demands.  

And then Boehner got yanked back behind a red GOP curtain.  Seems that the GOP's position was "He agreed too fast.  Make more demands."  

And two days later, Boehner's position was "Did I say 90% spending cuts?  I meant 100%.  Absolutely.  Non negotiable."  

Obviously a case of the Tea Party and such yanking Boehner into being more extreme.  In fact, from that day forward, the GOP position on every single issue was that if Obama agrees to it, then it's unacceptable.  

How Trump Steered Supporters Into Unwitting Donations

Online donors were guided into weekly recurring contributions. Demands for refunds spiked. Complaints to banks and credit card companies soared. But the money helped keep Donald Trump’s struggling campaign afloat.

Stacy Blatt was in hospice care last September listening to Rush Limbaugh’s dire warnings about how badly Donald J. Trump’s campaign needed money when he went online and chipped in everything he could: $500.

It was a big sum for a 63-year-old battling cancer and living in Kansas City on less than $1,000 per month. But that single contribution — federal records show it was his first ever — quickly multiplied. Another $500 was withdrawn the next day, then $500 the next week and every week through mid-October, without his knowledge — until Mr. Blatt’s bank account had been depleted and frozen. When his utility and rent payments bounced, he called his brother, Russell, for help.

What the Blatts soon discovered was $3,000 in withdrawals by the Trump campaign in less than 30 days. They called their bank and said they thought they were victims of fraud.

“It felt,” Russell said, “like it was a scam.”

But what the Blatts believed was duplicity was actually an intentional scheme to boost revenues by the Trump campaign and the for-profit company that processed its online donations, WinRed. Facing a cash crunch and getting badly outspent by the Democrats, the campaign had begun last September to set up recurring donations by default for online donors, for every week until the election.

Contributors had to wade through a fine-print disclaimer and manually uncheck a box to opt out.

As the election neared, the Trump team made that disclaimer increasingly opaque, an investigation by The New York Times showed. It introduced a second prechecked box, known internally as a “money bomb,” that doubled a person’s contribution. Eventually its solicitations featured lines of text in bold and capital letters that overwhelmed the opt-out language.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/03/us/politics/trump-donations.html

Edited by Califan007

I'm not going to defend the above, but I will say this: When I contributed to the Dems I experienced the same type of 'money bomb' where a second box popped up as if the first donation didn't work. I shut the tab down & was only hit with the single donation. 

3 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Pure gold courtesy of Metal guitar legend Alex Skolnick.  NSFW!

If the democrats do get rid of the filibuster, I want them to contrive a reason to perform a filibuster at least once beforehand and read a transcript of Boehner's book reading into the record.

• Haha 3

‘At Some Point, Litigation Must End’: Another Federal Judge Dismisses Another Devin Nunes Lawsuit

In what has become a regularly reoccurring result, a lawsuit filed by Rep. Devin Nunes (R) and his attorney Steve Biss has been tossed out of court — this time for good.

A federal judge in Virginia this week dismissed with prejudice the California congressman’s complaint against Fusion GPS, the research and investigative firm behind the production of the “Steele Dossier” in 2016. The dismissal means Nunes will not be afforded the opportunity to amend any deficiencies and re-file the case. Nunes had previously filed three different versions of the lawsuit that were dismissed without prejudice.

Initially filed in 2019, the suit accused Fusion GPS, its founder Glenn Simpson, and watchdog group the Campaign for Accountability of “ongoing and continuous racketeering activities” as part of  “a joint and systematic effort to intimidate, harass, threaten, influence, interfere with, impede, and ultimately to derail Plaintiff’s congressional investigation into Russian election interference.” Citing the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act, Nunes alleged that the defendants engaged in a broad plan to interfere with his official duties. Nunes also alleged that the defendants filed fraudulent ethics complaints against him that “were solely designed to harass and intimidate.”

But U.S. District Judge Rossie Alston of the Eastern District of Virginia, an appointee of Donald Trump himself, reasoned that Nunes failed to allege facts sufficient to show that any “association-in-fact enterprise” existed between the defendants as required to proceed under the civil RICO statute.

“Critically, no reading of the facts alleged in Plaintiff’s Second Amended complaint can support a finding that an enterprise operated with the purpose or relationships the law requires,” he wrote. “Instead, the Second Amended Complaint is best read to allege that Defendants and the three other individuals and entities named in that document engaged in independent, parallel conduct directed at Plaintiff Nunes. By Plaintiff’s own telling, the entities and persons involved had different memberships and methods — even assuming they all shared the same generalized ‘motive’ to harm Plaintiff’s political career. On its face, this is insufficient evidence of an association-in-fact enterprise with a shared purpose.”

Click on the link for the full article