Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

6 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Reprimand is the slap on the wrist. Censure is the public humiliation. Expulsion takes 2/3 votes and won't even happen with the q/maga loving GOP House. 

Public humiliation?  I don't think these QAnon types have any humility or are capable of being humiliated.  After all, they don't seem to care that most people laugh at them when they spout their nonsense.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Interesting article about how the leader's narssissicm and the followers' psychosis. The below is from the linked article.

What attracts people to Trump? What is their animus or driving force?

The reasons are multiple and varied, but in my recent public-service book, Profile of a Nation, I have outlined two major emotional drives: narcissistic symbiosis and shared psychosis. Narcissistic symbiosis refers to the developmental wounds that make the leader-follower relationship magnetically attractive. The leader, hungry for adulation to compensate for an inner lack of self-worth, projects grandiose omnipotence—while the followers, rendered needy by societal stress or developmental injury, yearn for a parental figure. When such wounded individuals are given positions of power, they arouse similar pathology in the population that creates a “lock and key” relationship.

“Shared psychosis”—which is also called “folie à millions” [“madness for millions”] when occurring at the national level or “induced delusions”—refers to the infectiousness of severe symptoms that goes beyond ordinary group psychology. When a highly symptomatic individual is placed in an influential position, the person’s symptoms can spread through the population through emotional bonds, heightening existing pathologies and inducing delusions, paranoia and propensity for violence—even in previously healthy individuals. The treatment is removal of exposure.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-shared-psychosis-of-donald-trump-and-his-loyalists/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

It's only awhile now before the Qanon **** fully takes the Republican party...uh..well...by storm.

Dip****s like Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert have been elected.  And when you get a state party that tweets out something like "We Are The Storm," some people who aren't familiar with Qanon or not as familiar might go "Hey, that sounds catchy and cool, I don't like Democrats so maybe I should be part of the Storm, too!"  And then they get indoctrinated.  

Catchphrases and slogans work, there are countless examples.  ****, I mean, 4 years ago Qanon was wingnut fringe territory, I don't think any of us knew what it was.  And now there are elected officials in office who hold these beliefs.  It's ****ing terrifying.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

And now there are elected officials in office who hold these beliefs.

I'd be careful about making that assertion too often.  

I'd say "and there are politicians in office who are perfectly willing to feed those beliefs, if it gets them money or power".  

You can argue over whether stupid is better or worse than evil.  But let's not mistake one for the other.  

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

The q-rot in the Republican party is a good thing, an amazing thing tbh because it will shatter them. You have a **** ton of old guard Repub money that ain't goin down that rabbit hole. They are not going to have their corporate honey pots associated with that bat****tery in an age of near instant social media herd response. They don't give two ****s about ideology, they are all about the bank.

On the other hand, the Q-bots are completely divorced from reality and spinning further away every hour. They don't want to hear about corporate interests or bottom line, they are intently focused on TOM HANKS CANNABILIZING INFANTS!!!

There is no way to reconcile the two, and the shrinking % on the right that hasn't gone totally insane yet sees it, and they're scared. They are tap dancing like Gregory Hines to find some way to navigate that breach but.........well, good luck with that plan. They still think they can harness that for elections but keep them at bay the rest of the time. Again, good luck with that plan.

I'm hopin' ole Donald does form a Patriot Party, it will accelerate this and I might send them $5

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

The q-rot in the Republican party is a good thing, an amazing thing tbh because it will shatter them. You have a **** ton of old guard Repub money that ain't goin down that rabbit hole. They are not going to have their corporate honey pots associated with that bat****tery in an age of near instant social media herd response. They don't give two ****s about ideology, they are all about the bank.

On the other hand, the Q-bots are completely divorced from reality and spinning further away every hour. They don't want to hear about corporate interests or bottom line, they are intently focused on TOM HANKS CANNABILIZING INFANTS!!!

There is no way to reconcile the two, and the shrinking % on the right that hasn't gone totally insane yet sees it, and they're scared. They are tap dancing like Gregory Hines to find some way to navigate that breach but.........well, good luck with that plan. They still think they can harness that for elections but keep them at bay the rest of the time. Again, good luck with that plan.

I'm hopin' ole Donald does form a Patriot Party, it will accelerate this and I might send them $5

While I understand your points and don't totally disagree, it also makes me pretty sad.  Too many American's view the other side as the enemy and I fear that there's no coming back from that.  Wanting to crush one side to hold up the other because that's your team...I dunno, it doesn't make this country better, IMO. 

I know I'm going to get slammed for that but I don't really care.  President Biden just gave an inaugural speech the other day about unity and working together.  That felt good for, like, 30 seconds and it's back to wishing for the destruction of one party.  

I don't want to see the Republican party shattered, even though a lot of you seem to.  IMO, it'll just lead to more fighting and bitterness and probably more violence.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

While I understand your points and don't totally disagree, it also makes me pretty sad.  Too many American's view the other side as the enemy and I fear that there's no coming back from that.  Wanting to crush one side to hold up the other because that's your team...I dunno, it doesn't make this country better, IMO. 

I know I'm going to get slammed for that but I don't really care.  President Biden just gave an inaugural speech the other day about unity and working together.  That felt good for, like, 30 seconds and it's back to wishing for the destruction of one party.  

I don't want to see the Republican party shattered, even though a lot of you seem to.  IMO, it'll just lead to more fighting and bitterness and probably more violence.   

I hear ya and tbh I am not half as vindictive as I might sound at times, but I have moved beyond seeing any of this in strictly partisan political terms. There is an infection out there, a prion disease that is dragging people down of their own volition. They are choosing this! They inhabit the same world you or I do and yet they see fantastic beasts and amazing colors that no one else does. 

You can't "fix" anyone, you can move their head across the room so they stop being such a threat or nuisance, but you cannot fix them. People have to fix themselves, and there is a universe of help available to those that want help. This Q **** is akin to drunks and druggies being dragged to rehab when they're not ready to quit, it's wasted effort.

If and when any of these moonbats decides to rejoin civilization, the door will be unlocked. It always is. People **** up all the time, it's what we do best, but when they do and just own it, accept responsibility and ask for help, an army of therapists and social workers and Girl Scouts appears to lend a hand. But none of that happens unless and until you admit that YOU are your problem. Same rules apply to us all, this ain't new.

Speeding up the process or handing them a cinderblock as they step off the cliff just gets us all there sooner.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I, don't want to see the Republican party shattered, even though a lot of you seem to.  IMO, it'll just lead to more fighting and bitterness and probably more violence.   

The current incarnation of the Republican Party is a "Jim Crow Party" filled with outright racists, people who tolerate racism and science denying kooks.

Yeah, I do want to see that party and everything it stands for shattered. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

The current incarnation of the Republican Party is a "Jim Crow Party" filled with outright racists, people who tolerate racism and science denying kooks.

Yeah, I do want to see that party and everything it stands for shattered. 🤷‍♂️

A: It always was (in my lifetime)

B: They actually found a way to make it worse

That's some first class Olympic level artisanal bat****tery if I ever saw it

• Like 4

Biden’s message of unity is NOT inclusive of people who want to tear the country and its institutions down. No matter how much you want to be believe. He was appealing to moderate Repubs who want to preserve democracy... and resume political discourse.

The other half only wants unity ONLY if it means YOUR submission/assimilation.

I love nature..... but if there’s a rodent/insect in my house, I kill it. I don’t make friends with mosquitos.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Yeah, when I was a much younger voter, I voted the straight Republican ticket.  And I believed that the Democrats had good intentions, and were right on some issues (like legislating against racial discrimination).  They were just wrong on some others (like defense and welfare.)  

But now, last 15-20 years, I've been looking, hard, for "well, they have good intentions, they're just wrong" in the Republican Party.  And it's just flat out not there.  There is no morality whatsoever in that bubble.  

No, they don't have a moral problem with Trump, or his followers.  They have a "This might actually cost us more votes than it gets us" problem.  

And yeah, I understand that the Republicans in Congress, and in the Party headquarters, and in the state capitols, aren't the same as the Republican voters.  

But you know what?  Those voters aren't any better, morally, than their politicians.  

They're willing, even enthusiastic, to flock to the only polling place in their county (because they intentionally got rid of all the other ones, to keep "them other people" from voting so much), and vote for Donald Trump because he's an openly racist asshole.  They're willing to enthusiastically vote for economic policies that they know will make their lives worse, because they also know that if will hurt "them other people" more.  

Not all of them are willing to be recorded on video getting in a fist fight with a business's employee, just so they can walk around and spread a deadly disease to their fellow citizens.  But they're willing to watch the video and cheer them on.  And to support the politicians who encourage them.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

He was appealing to moderate Repubs who want to preserve democracy... and resume political discourse.

Look at the results of the last election, and try to convince me that there are any of those.  

I'd believe that there's this vast pool of Republicans who still have a soul, if R turnout for the last election had been a record low.  

Heck, if there were substantial numbers of people who voted R for US Senate, but left the ballot blank for Trump, I might believe it.  Especially if said Senator hadn't voted to justify Trump's solicitation of bribes from the White House.  

Heck, if the GOP had kicked Trump out and put Pence in his place, I might believe that there was a tiny shred of hope for them.  (Even if it had only been a cynical move based on the belief that Pence was just as evil as Trump, but had less political downside on him).  

Right now, I'm hardly seeing any R's who even demonstrate "Well, I still support every single one of those policies, but Trump, the person, is a political liability".  

• Like 2

Listening to Marco Rubio on Fox News Sunday say he opposes Biden's immigration proposals because without a punitive component it will encourage bad actors and bad actions just after stating emphatically that Trump should not be impeached because the country and all of Trump's followers deserve healing and unity.

Apparently, Rubio is not worried at all that allowing Trump and his followers to get away with an attempted insurrection would encourage future bad actors or actions. :doh:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

The Republican Party is already shattered. Moderate Republicans are leaving the party, whether by actually changing their party affiliation to Democrat or Independent.

It's my belief that they are beginning to form a new party and leave the Republican Party to die a slow death. They voted for Biden so that shows that they are willing to act for the United States in a bipartisan manner. They'll be the new conservatives.

@Burgold

Rubio's stance is disappointing because he was one of the few Senate GOP holdovers who voted for the 2013 law.  

"Unity" would be saying something like "Immigration reform is an important issue because lack of action in this area has hurt a significant amount people in this country.  We don't want people living in the shadows anymore. On first glance there is a lot of work needed to improve the bill on border security, but there is a lot to like.  I am willing to work with this administration on a balanced bill that can pass the Senate." 

Even if it's not sincere, how is "moderation" such a sin to the GOP?

How hard is that?  I see why a component of the left does want to nuke the filibuster.... 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Even if it's not sincere, how is "moderation" such a sin to the GOP?

How hard is that?  I see why a component of the left does want to nuke the filibuster.... 

Remember when?  

Under Obama, there's negotiation over a debt ceiling.  The government is about to shut down for lack of funding being passed.  

Republicans announce that they will not fund the government unless Obama agrees to the following list of requirements.  I think one of them was that the deficit must be reduced via 75% spending cuts, and 25% tax increases.  

Within a day, (hours?), Obama responds "Done!", and submits a detailed proposal that meets all of their demands.  

John Boener within hours, announces that the plan meets all of their demands, and hailing Obama's willingness to concede.  

Then he gets pulled behind the curtain.  There is whispering behind the curtain for a couple of days.  

Boehner emerges, and announces that the fact that Obama agreed so quickly proves that the GOP didn't demand enough, and their new demands are . . . . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1