Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sewer That Is The GOP: With All The White Supremacists, Conspiracy Nutters, And Other Malicious Whacko Subgroups, How Does It Get Fixed?

Jumbo

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

I cannot for the life of me figure out why anyone would want to identify as them.

Because to a good many, "not Republican" == "lib"...and they've built entire identities around "lib bad".  A very few can think their way out of the trap they've made for themselves (full disclosure: I was a registered republican many moons ago)...but for the rest identifying as something else is tantamount to removing a limb.  Thus they are stuck, and have slowly sacrificed everything else they honestly thought they believed in (as you pointed out...science, education, religion, etc...) just so to not be forced to remove that plank which underpins their personality: "I'm not a lib".

• Like 5

The ridiculous irony is that there is soooooooo much room to come up with alternative solutions to all of the problems that we have. 

soooooo much room

yet they decide to fold their arms and say the problem doesn’t exist. 

this gop candidate for va governor is a ****ing clown. He’s literally trying to win on just cutting taxes, with no plan on what to do with the revenue shortfall, or how to solve the issues Virginia has. 

The gop just ****s on everything they touch. Wish more people would figure it out. 

the Democrats have a lot of wiggle room on a lot of things if you simply acknowledge the problem exists and be honest in offering a solution. 

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, tshile said:

this gop candidate for va governor is a ****ing clown. He’s literally trying to win on just cutting taxes, with no plan on what to do with the revenue shortfall, or how to solve the issues Virginia has. 

and it seems like he has a good chance of winning. Why try when they don’t have to 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Borgold said:

I think it says something that the GOP no longer is even willing to have a platform. They won't put in writing what they stand for or what they most hope to achieve. I mean politicians are supposed to be full of empty platitudes and promises that come back to haunt them. Seriously though, the absolute vacuum of plans or positions is something I hope changes.

Vote for me because I'm on your team and the other guy is evil, should never be enough. 

It has been plenty enough for me lately....

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, KAOSkins said:

We have yet to see if it works on people whose brains haven't been addled by the heat and humidity. Florida man has always been cray cray.

Kudos for the Heinlein reference.

the entire republican party has a boner for DeSantis.... it is no isolated thing

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Borgold said:

I think it says something that the GOP no longer is even willing to have a platform. They won't put in writing what they stand for or what they most hope to achieve. I mean politicians are supposed to be full of empty platitudes and promises that come back to haunt them. Seriously though, the absolute vacuum of plans or positions is something I hope changes.

Vote for me because I'm on your team and the other guy is evil, should never be enough. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

the entire republican party has a boner for DeSantis.... it is no isolated thing

There's no real evidence of that, although the right wing press certainly has a stiffy for him.  The disaster they're in the midst of in FL on covid isn't helping him.  Trump's casual dismissal and misinformation concerning covid was part of his undoing. Trump certainly has the same, if not more, of the goper love thrown his way, but he lost.

38 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

Well, not exactly...

You are responding not because someone tells you X is evil, but because you see X doing evil.

The Republicans are saying bull about what the Democrats may be or how they like to depict them-- The Democrats are coming to get your guns! The Democrats are pedophiles! The Democrats are not real Americans!

Our reaction is to child separation practices. US concentration camps. And a hundred other things that Republicans are actually doing.

At least that's my guess as to why it's good enough for you.

Edited by Borgold
  • Like 3

Top conservative asks McCarthy to boot Cheney, Kinzinger from GOP conference

House Freedom Caucus Chair Andy Biggs (R-Ariz.) is asking House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) to boot fellow GOP Reps. Liz Cheney (Wyo.) and Adam Kinzinger (Ill.) from the Republican conference for serving on the select committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.

In a draft letter dated Sept. 2, Biggs asks McCarthy to consider a change to conference rules that would “immediately” remove members if they accept a committee assignment without a recommendation from the party.

“Congresswoman Cheney and Congressman Kinzinger are two spies for the Democrats that we currently invite to the meetings, despite our inability to trust them,” reads the letter, which was shared with The Hill. 

Click on the link for the full article

Heeding Steve Bannon’s Call, Election Deniers Organize to Seize Control of the GOP — and Reshape America’s Elections

One of the loudest voices urging Donald Trump’s supporters to push for overturning the presidential election results was Steve Bannon. “We’re on the point of attack,” Bannon, a former Trump adviser and far-right nationalist, pledged on his popular podcast on Jan. 5. “All hell will break loose tomorrow.” The next morning, as thousands massed on the National Mall for a rally that turned into an attack on the Capitol, Bannon fired up his listeners: “It’s them against us. Who can impose their will on the other side?”

When the insurrection failed, Bannon continued his campaign for his former boss by other means. On his “War Room” podcast, which has tens of millions of downloads, Bannon said President Trump lost because the Republican Party sold him out. “This is your call to action,” Bannon said in February, a few weeks after Trump had pardoned him of federal fraud charges.

The solution, Bannon announced, was to seize control of the GOP from the bottom up. Listeners should flood into the lowest rung of the party structure: the precincts. “It’s going to be a fight, but this is a fight that must be won, we don’t have an option,” Bannon said on his show in May. “We’re going to take this back village by village … precinct by precinct.”

Precinct officers are the worker bees of political parties, typically responsible for routine tasks like making phone calls or knocking on doors. But collectively, they can influence how elections are run. In some states, they have a say in choosing poll workers, and in others they help pick members of boards that oversee elections.

After Bannon’s endorsement, the “precinct strategy” rocketed across far-right media. Viral posts promoting the plan racked up millions of views on pro-Trump websites, talk radio, fringe social networks and message boards, and programs aligned with the QAnon conspiracy theory.

Suddenly, people who had never before showed interest in party politics started calling the local GOP headquarters or crowding into county conventions, eager to enlist as precinct officers. They showed up in states Trump won and in states he lost, in deep-red rural areas, in swing-voting suburbs and in populous cities.

In Wisconsin, for instance, new GOP recruits are becoming poll workers. County clerks who run elections in the state are required to hire parties’ nominees. The parties once passed on suggesting names, but now hardline Republican county chairs are moving to use those powers.

“We’re signing up election inspectors like crazy right now,” said Outagamie County party chair Matt Albert, using the state’s formal term for poll workers. Albert, who held a “Stop the Steal” rally during Wisconsin’s November recount, said Bannon’s podcast had played a role in the burst of enthusiasm.

ProPublica contacted GOP leaders in 65 key counties, and 41 reported an unusual increase in signups since Bannon’s campaign began. At least 8,500 new Republican precinct officers (or equivalent lowest-level officials) joined those county parties. We also looked at equivalent Democratic posts and found no similar surge.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 2

We need to get it through our heads that the GOP of the last 30+ years crafts their entire platform around one goal, reducing taxes on the wealthy.  Just about every policy they are in favor of you can trace right back to wealthy donors that stand to gain from it.  If it isn't in tax cuts, it is in privatization of something that will make some people a ton of money.  I can't really think of much else they are pushing for anymore.  They won't be honest and call their bills and ideas on face value so they come up with clever slogans like "freedom" & "individualism" but when you look at the actual legislation it is usually always an effort to take the country all the way back to pre-New Deal era economic policies. 

The Democrats hands are not clean of this either as they do plenty of it as well, but I think there is at least a handful that are there to do the right thing, while the more centrist-moderates you hold your nose and take the good with the bad in order to keep conservatives out of office.

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 5

Dude doesn't listen to Deep State Hannity anymore. Now he's on the Dr Zelenko bandwagon. 🤡

Vladimir Zelenko is an Ukrainian-American family physician known for promoting a three drug ****tail of hydroxychloroquine, zinc sulphate and azithromycin as part of an experimental outpatient treatment for COVID-19 that he has promoted as the Zelenko Protocol.

🤔

• Haha 1