Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What was your favorite film of 1939?

Corcaigh

What was your favorite film of 1939?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What was your favorite film of 1939?

• Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
    • Wuthering Heights
    • Gone with the Wind
    • Dark Victory
    • Goodbye, Mr. Chips
    • The Wizard of Oz
    • Stagecoach
    • Ninotchka
    • Love Affair
    • Of Mice and Men

7 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Claimed by some movie historians to be the greatest year ever. I've seen a few of these.

The only one I have seen is Wizard of Oz, so that is what I voted for.  However, I probably would have picked Of Mice and Men if I had seen it.

Wizard of Oz. When I was a kid, it was a huge deal when it would come on TV. Movies are everywhere now and you can watch pretty much anything made at anytime. But growing up in the 80s, it was must watch TV the one time it came on per year. Plus, who can't sing all the songs from that movie?

Stagecoach or Gone With The Wind for me.  I went with GWTW because I've seen it a dozen times.  Wuthering Heights was a bit of a mess.  Olivier killed it but Merle Oberon was a weak Cathy.  I guess Vivien Leigh was already committed to GWTW, but she was the natural and best choice for the role.

And we thought 1987 was a strong year. Holy smokes! Gone With the Wind and Wizard of Oz were two massive movies -- no idea that

both came out in 1939. I'll go with GWTW, Its way too long and pretty boring in places, but Vivian Leigh and Clark Gable put on strong 

performances.

Once considered the greatest year for movies of all time. I hold a special fondness for Oz. I was about to chastise ya for not including Eroll Flynn's Robin Hood, but it actually came out in '38. I always included it in the '39 set.

Mr. Smith

Gone with the Wind

Wizard of Oz

Stage Coach 

Are all great films. Amazingly, Oz was a flop when it first premiered on the silver screen.  It was rediscovered a generation later and became a classic.

It's always bad to look at movies with a modern perspective but I can't help but be irritated a little by GWTW with its depictions of the south and slaves.

I've always liked a good Western so I'd vote for Stagecoach given its impact on the genre. But Wizard of Oz is probably the right answer.

49 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Once considered the greatest year for movies of all time. I hold a special fondness for Oz. I was about to chastise ya for not including Eroll Flynn's Robin Hood, but it actually came out in '38. I always included it in the '39 set.

Mr. Smith

Gone with the Wind

Wizard of Oz

Stage Coach 

Are all great films. Amazingly, Oz was a flop when it first premiered on the silver screen.  It was rediscovered a generation later and became a classic.

Flynn's Robin Hood was my favorite movie from my childhood.  I believe it set me on the road to loving fantasy and nature, and embracing chivalry.  

I haven't seen as many of those as I should, but I'm going with Oz for generational impact.  

Archived