Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What was your favorite film of 1986?

Ron78

What was your favorite film of 1986?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What was your favorite film of 1986?

• Top Gun
    • Crocodile Dundee
    • Platoon
    • The Karate Kid Part II
    • Back to School
    • Aliens
    • Ruthless People
    • Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    • Down and Out in Beverly Hills
    • The Color of Money
    • Stand by Me
    • Cobra
    • Heartbreak Ridge
    • Peggy Sue Got Married
    • Poltergeist II: The Other Side
    • Short Circuit
    • Pretty in Pink
    • The Fly
    • Three Amigos
    • Gung Ho
    • Big Trouble in Little China
    • Wise Guys
    • Highlander
    • Transformers: The Movie
    • Other

8 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I should give the Alien movies another try, I guess.  I remember watching them when I was a kid and being thoroughly unimpressed.  I don't like much sci fi to begin with but I should try to see what the fuss is all about.

Brother, please give it another shot.  As a kid, Aliens was one of the "core four" movies  that shaped my personality.  Aliens, Terminator, Predator, Robocop...all had a major impact on who I am.  

I'm surprised as a kid you didn't care for Aliens, the action is off the chain.  Legendary stuff.  

26 minutes ago, youngchew said:

Brother, please give it another shot.  As a kid, Aliens was one of the "core four" movies  that shaped my personality.  Aliens, Terminator, Predator, Robocop...all had a major impact on who I am.  

I'm surprised as a kid you didn't care for Aliens, the action is off the chain.  Legendary stuff.  

Ok....not someone I want to run into in a dark alley...lol 

(Even though I loved Aliens and the original Robocop). 

8 minutes ago, Keith Huddleston said:

Ok....not someone I want to run into in a dark alley...lol 

(Even though I loved Aliens and the original Robocop). 

I'm harmless, really. ;) 

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Who?

Pork Chop Express.

10 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I should give the Alien movies another try, I guess.  I remember watching them when I was a kid and being thoroughly unimpressed.  I don't like much sci fi to begin with but I should try to see what the fuss is all about.

For me, Aliens is the only one in the series worth a damn. The first Alien was completely predictable to me, and the later sequels weren't worth much, but watching Aliens in the theater was a heart pounding experience. Sigourney Weaver and the late Bill Paxton were perfect, and James Cameron never took his foot off the gas.

This was a great year.  I voted for Platoon because I think it is the "best made movie" in terms of acting, seriousness of the subject matter, etc.  But I could accept an argument for about half this list.

I'm patiently waiting for 1987, because my favorite movie of all time was made that year, and I'm hoping it is on the list, guessing it will be.  I doubt it is anyone elses #1, but it is very good.

14 hours ago, youngchew said:

Alright, I'll watch it this weekend, probably on Monday. 

13 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

For me, Aliens is the only one in the series worth a damn. The first Alien was completely predictable to me, and the later sequels weren't worth much, but watching Aliens in the theater was a heart pounding experience. Sigourney Weaver and the late Bill Paxton were perfect, and James Cameron never took his foot off the gas.

Do you have to see the first one to appreciate the sequel?  

I'm probably among the few people alive that thought Aliens was disappointing. James Cameron took a creepy, atmospheric sci-fi gem and turned it into a series of Gears of War cutscenes. GET AWAY FROM HER YOU **** is hilarious and badass, but the dialogue is mostly poor. The sets and creature design save that movie and keep it entertaining, plus Sigourney is still really good, but as more of a horror/sci-fi fan than a straight action fan, it's not a patch on the original.

Stand By Me was my pick btw.

16 hours ago, youngchew said:

As a kid, Aliens was one of the "core four" movies  that shaped my personality.  Aliens, Terminator, Predator, Robocop...all had a major impact on who I am. 

I like that, the "core four" that shaped me.

It wouldn't be the same as my top 4 favorite movies, although T2 would still top the list.  Then I'd go with Predator, Rambo, and Rocky.  I love that underdog story.

Wish it could be the "Core Five".  Shout-out to the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie.

A list of the movies that I would say were most influential on me in terms of taste, my own creative output and personal outlook would look something like:

The Graduate

The Blues Brothers

Donnie Darko

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

A New Hope

The Shining

Rocky

Eraserhead

The movies I find most inspiring are the ones I feel like I could make myself, or that make me see the world a different way. I think Stand By Me is one of the very best movies of 1986 because every time I watch it I feel like I'm somewhere else for a while. It doesn't feel overly polished or fake, it's like a window into a life I never lived but could have. 

Raiders was one of my favorite movies as a little kid.  It inspired a love of geography and made me interested in foreign cultures.  Airplane,  Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and Austin Powers basically formed my sense of humor.  Not to mention a host of Chris Farley and Adam Sandler movies that I won't bring up.

Movies weren't as influential as books.  Movies can inspire but books change the way you think in a basic way.  Books made me aware that there were minds outside my own and that I could connect to them through reading their work.

7 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

I like that, the "core four" that shaped me.

It wouldn't be the same as my top 4 favorite movies, although T2 would still top the list.  Then I'd go with Predator, Rambo, and Rocky.  I love that underdog story..

Hell yeah, T2, Rocky, bunch of other classics are way up there.  I was trying to keep it 86 lol.  

Maybe @Ron78 will create a straight up "top 30" sometime  where we can just go off with our faves :ph34r::)

This is quite difficult for me but I have to go with Transformers The Movie. It still has more drama and deeper characters than many other films on this list.

If I had something non-animated, it would be The Fly. The slow-burn horror and sympathy is unequaled.

I love Aliens (and the character Hicks) but I feel it is getting a little overrated the last couple years. I think it's from the lack of actual action and also being compared to increasingly-crappier films in its franchise, which elevate it further.

44 minutes ago, youngchew said:

Hell yeah, T2, Rocky, bunch of other classics are way up there.  I was trying to keep it 86 lol.  

Maybe @Ron78 will create a straight up "top 30" sometime  where we can just go off with our faves :ph34r::)

Once we finish the 80's, my next plan was to do an "all-decade" poll with just the winners of each year (and an "other" option of course).

44 minutes ago, Metalhead said:

This is quite difficult for me but I have to go with Transformers The Movie. It still has more drama and deeper characters than many other films on this list.

I would say Transformers: The Movie is the greatest animated film for boys of all time.  It was certainly my favorite as a kid.

Archived